Yamcha beats Vegeta in a poll

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Yamcha beats Vegeta in a poll

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... good-fight

"Top 10 Anime Characters Who Talk a Good Fight"... but are utter shit in combat.

1 - Yamcha
3 - Vegeta

Poor Yamcha, I really feel sorry for him :( .

He really deserves better, and I hope DBS gives him an opportunity to do something spectacular similar to Krillin, Tien and Roshi getting their moment of glory at the ToP.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Re: Yamcha beats Vegeta in a poll

Post by Majin Jator » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 pm

I really think Vegeta should have won this one.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Majin Jator wrote:I really think Vegeta should have won this one.
But Vegeta isn't full of shit. He's a honorable warrior prince!
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:08 pm

They picked the absolute perfect picture for Vegeta. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm

At least Yamcha is good at something. :lol:
Lord Beerus wrote:They picked the absolute perfect picture for Vegeta. :lol:
No they didn't. :evil: A picture of Vegeta on a throan with Goku's head on the wall would've been a lot better. 8)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
Honorable :D :D

He`s fuller than shit than anyone else and the champion of eating his own words. To this day he`s the one guy who ran away of fights the most out of the cast. How many of the votes were due to the infamous pose I wonder :lol:
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Olympian wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:

He`s fuller than shit than anyone else and the champion of eating his own words. To this day he`s the one guy who ran away of fights the most out of the cast. How many of the votes were due to the infamous pose I wonder :lol:
Totally off topic but your avatar is awesome lol

Anyway! Yamcha never even gets the chance to eat his own words.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:They picked the absolute perfect picture for Vegeta. :lol:
i was picturing the fight against Cell or Buu but that was just perfect :lol: :lol:

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Olympian wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote: But Vegeta isn't full of shit. He's a honorable warrior prince!

Totally off topic but your avatar is awesome lol

Anyway! Yamcha never even gets the chance to eat his own words.
Oh he did and he was written as backing it up as much as allowed at the time. There was the fight with Goku (main character) where he threathened him and true enough he could have killed him if not for Bulma. He was quite confident at Baba`s Demon Toilet and didn`t won the Tournament but between his smarts and sheer guts (since he had no official master training yet) he reaches third round and nearly steals the win against the Mummy despite the odds (his case isn`t isolated since Kuririn also talks shit before losing to Fangs in the first round). There was the fight with Ten but both talked shit and both aknowledged they were good enough to back up the confidence but the Saiyan arc is where his cockiness reached the Heavens and where most draw their conclusions from.

Vegita on the other hand...letseee, not even using the Saiyan arc (I`ll just call it "reality check") talks shit in Namek to Zarbon and runs with the tail between his legs, talks shit at Freeza because he believes he`s the Legendary Saiyan and is humiliated (not even a noble death because as written all he cared was his pride and not the fate of his planet), talks down at #18 and is flat out humiliated and talks shit at Cell and...same broken record, rewind :lol:

If Saiyans didn`t have that very convenient plot trait of improving their PL just by escaping death, Goku would be using the Dragon Balls every year just to wish the guy back.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 pm

Olympian wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:

I hope you are not counting the movies which are filler.

Vegeta runs away from fights what are you talking about? I'll give you because of his arrogance he loses more than he wins but he doesn't back down amd usually keeps getting up.

A perfect example is the Buu fight. How many times did Buu attack him and he kept getting up and didn't back down.

And yes I know Perfect Cell/Android 18 embarrassed Vegeta but he certainly didn't run away from either fight or back down.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Vegeta should be number 1. He is the most deluded character and that is why he is the funniest character to watch get beat up easily.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Vegeta shouldn't be In this poll at all because while he may not be as strong as he sometimes imagines (although he is way less arrogant than he used to be). He's still one of the strongest & best fighters in Z. So no he is not completely full of it.

Personally I don't think Yamcha deserves to be on this poll either. Super has kind of made him a joke character but for a normal human he is still plenty strong. And I don't think he is arrogant about his strength.

It's a mean spirited poll. Although that being said the poll is meant to be funny and is in good fun so I am less annoyed at it then all the people in this thread who feel the need to come in and character bash.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:52 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... good-fight

"Top 10 Anime Characters Who Talk a Good Fight"... but are utter shit in combat.

1 - Yamcha
3 - Vegeta

Poor Yamcha, I really feel sorry for him :( .

He really deserves better, and I hope DBS gives him an opportunity to do something spectacular similar to Krillin, Tien and Roshi getting their moment of glory at the ToP.
Well the problem there is that the tournament gave Roshi an great moment, gave Krillin a somewhat decent one, and gave Tenshinhan a shitty one. With that, I fear my probably favorite human is doomed to simply being a damn butt of jokes in Super.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Geez. The Yamcha bashing part of Dragon Ball is beginning to become a thing of its own. What did he do to deserve this?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Olympian wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote: But Vegeta isn't full of shit. He's a honorable warrior prince!

Vegeta runs away from fights what are you talking about? I'll give you because of his arrogance he loses more than he wins but he doesn't back down amd usually keeps getting up.

A perfect example is the Buu fight. How many times did Buu attack him and he kept getting up and didn't back down.

And yes I know Perfect Cell/Android 18 embarrassed Vegeta but he certainly didn't run away from either fight or back down.
I didn`t mention a single thing that was filler. He ran from Zarbon. He ran from Kuririn. He ran from Freeza the moment he knew he was fvced up. The running away bits are just part of a character that is hailed as the king of badasses. Up until the end of the Cell arc where Vegita learned some humility he keeps running his mouth and eating dirt.
Last edited by Olympian on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Olympian wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Olympian wrote:

I didn`t mention a single thing that was filler. He ran from Zarbon. He ran from Kuririn. He ran from Freeza the moment he knew he was fvced up. The running away bits are just part of a character that is hailed as the king of badasses. Up until the end of the Cell arc where Vegita learned some humility he keeps running his mouth and eating dirt.

Or maybe in the Namek/Freeza saga he wasn't as established as a character and Toriyama was still figuring out his character traits. You are also ignoring the fact that once the Cell Saga starts he doesnt run from a fight. So I would say not backing down until he is completely knocked out is definitely a Vegeta character trait.

And the fact is Vegeta was the villain and had to learn lessons in humility. It's part of his character development. Bashing a character for mistakes they made in the past that was part of that character's growth is also kind of pointless. Otherwise why do we have character development? Characters need to be perfect?

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Eh, by the Namek arc Toryama was of the opinion he didn`t liked the character much and truth to tell he wasn`t supposed to be likable. Bigger issue was replacing Chiatzu for he new kid on the block who was Vegita´s son and thus welcoming him fully to the cast. To me the Android and Cell arcs is where he shows most of his arrogance but like you said, character development.

No, he didn`t ran from fights in those arcs that I recall but then again, I didn`t said he always ran, only he did it the most. I`m basically pointing the finger as Fandom`s skewed perception of what a badass is who in turn bash other characters who never did it as much as Vegita did. So if he`s the badass what does that tell someone about the others who show up being overpowered as they are?

And I totally agree with you, I don`t want perfect characters.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Olympian wrote:Eh, by the Namek arc Toryama was of the opinion he didn`t liked the character much and truth to tell he wasn`t supposed to be likable. Bigger issue was replacing Chiatzu for he new kid on the block who was Vegita´s son and thus welcoming him fully to the cast. To me the Android and Cell arcs is where he shows most of his arrogance but like you said, character development.

No, he didn`t ran from fights in those arcs that I recall but then again, I didn`t said he always ran, only he did it the most. I`m basically pointing the finger as Fandom`s skewed perception of what a badass is who in turn bash other characters who never did it as much as Vegita did. So if he`s the badass what does that tell someone about the others who show up being overpowered as they are?

And I totally agree with you, I don`t want perfect characters.

I get what you are saying and I don't think Vegeta is badass for anything he did in the Cell or early Buu Saga. I haven't watched Freeza/Namek saga in awhile so I apologize that I don't remember much about it except he was even more of a villain then. (I am actually slowly doing a rewatch now)

I think Vegeta is a great character but not because he is the most powerful or super cool but because he is complex and imperfect and had great character development. As for "his pride" it's a good and bad trait for Vegeta depending on the circumstances.

Anyways yes the poll is right Vegeta does talk big and often has to eat his words (especially in DBZ) But while Vegeta may never be the strongest fighter in the series & may have lost many fights doesnt mean he isn't a great fighter. He is skilled but because of the way the story needed to be told he had to lose more than he won.

And of course Vegeta fans who bash other characters are totally in the wrong too.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:31 am

Guys, I think its also worth noting that Yamcha was voted number 1 by a gigantic margin.

Buggy, who got second place, had 260 votes.

Yamcha had 989 votes.

Thats a pretty big difference in the number of votes between first and second.

This was out of vote of 4000 users and nearly a quarter of them voted for Yamcha. The guy really can't catch a break.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 am

JazzMazz wrote:Guys, I think its also worth noting that Yamcha was voted number 1 by a gigantic margin.

Buggy, who got second place, had 260 votes.

Yamcha had 989 votes.

Thats a pretty big difference in the number of votes between first and second.

This was out of vote of 4000 users and nearly a quarter of them voted for Yamcha. The guy really can't catch a break.
Well he's in FighterZ so I'd say that's a pretty big break for him!