How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:00 pm

They can still do a hell of a lot of shit in the 10 year gap. The progression of arcs in Dragon Ball may seem long to us, but in-universe they can take place over a short period of time. I mean, the Majin Boo arc, the longest arc in all of Dragon Ball, took place in one day. And with how much material has been laid out to be potentially explored with the introduction of multiple universes, Dragon Ball Super could do a hell of lot more stories with the time that is has available. But I can't deny that the Universal Survival arc does have this "last hurrah" kind of feeling, with the monumental stakes at hand and the incredibly huge cast being used.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 am

Lord Beerus wrote:They can still do a hell of a lot of shit in the 10 year gap. The progression of arcs in Dragon Ball may seem long to us, but in-universe they can take place over a short period of time. I mean, the Majin Boo arc, the longest arc in all of Dragon Ball, took place in one day. And with how much material has been laid out to be potentially explored with the introduction of multiple universes, Dragon Ball Super could do a hell of lot more stories with the time that is has available. But I can't deny that the Universal Survival arc does have this "last hurrah" kind of feeling, with the monumental stakes at hand and the incredibly huge cast being used.
For sure it feels like everything modern DB has been building up too, futher backed by Goku's UI form, even something as what some people thought was a pointless story at the time, Resurrection F is being played in this arc.

I am interested in where they go from here.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I am interested in where they go from here.
I'm curious if we are going to see the universes that did not participate in the tournament, the gods of those universes seem unfazed by Jiren.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 am

MaskedRider wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I am interested in where they go from here.
I'm curious if we are going to see the universes that did not participate in the tournament, the gods of those universes seem unfazed by Jiren.

I think we definitely will eventually. It would kind of be weird to say and there are even stronger Universes and then ignore them.

Goku does need stronger and stronger opponents after all!

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:07 am

Lord Beerus wrote:...I mean, the Majin Boo arc, the longest arc in all of Dragon Ball, took place in one day.
It did not take place in one day...

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:14 am

Super can “realistically” stretch out the 10-year time skip as much as they want. There isn’t much to these stories at all. Most of these stories happen within a few days unless there’s a long timeskip like in Resurrection F. As long as they keep in line with Bulma not seeing Gokuh in five years, they could do a lot. Gokuh went solo training on his own (presumably after the Tournament of Power) unless his solo training was with Whis and Vegeta was too busy on the earth with Trunks and Bra. The Golden Freeza Arc, 6th Universe Arc, and Future Trunks Arc all happen within the same year. It’s safe to say the series could do more than one event in Age 780, 781, 782, 783, and even 784 before the Tenkaichi Budoukai. I don’t see them doing theee events each year because that would be a lot of content but they would be okay with me. But, Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am

Meshack wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:...I mean, the Majin Boo arc, the longest arc in all of Dragon Ball, took place in one day.
It did not take place in one day...
Yes, it did.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:30 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Yes, it did.
No, it didn't. There are a lot of passage of time throughout Majin Buu saga. Please be careful whenever you talk about time.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am

Grimlock wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Yes, it did.
No, it didn't. There are a lot of passage of time throughout Majin Buu saga. Please be careful whenever you talk about time.
Shit. I completely forgot about that. I knew that Majin Boo wiped out a lot of humanity when Goku initially left after their skirmish, but I totally forget about how long it took him to do it.

My bad. :shifty:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Meshack wrote:Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.
I personally feel what Toyotarou said is open to interpretation: "preparing the ground" for Super to reach the End of Dragon Ball Z (how I understood it anyhow) means that he is ensuring that what is being depicted doesn't at all jeopardize contradicting the epilogue.
I say this, as before he made that statement he said " Of course, the story has to end like the original, in a coherent and natural way, so at least you know that, without a doubt, Goku, Vegeta and the others will survive."

He never gave any indication that himself or Toriyama-Sensei were writing now or getting ready to write Super's ending to fit into EoZ immediately. No time frame was mentioned, besides, I doubt very much Toei/Toriyama or Shueisha would be too happy with him revealing confidential information during an overseas comic con Q&A - not to mention the fact that this would be a huge reveal.

This said, I feel Super can stay in this 10yr gap for as long as it wants - Toei & Bandai Namco will want this to go on for years to come, especially if it keeps selling merchandise the way it has been up to now.
The BoG and "F" movies were placed on the timeline before Super was even thought about, and Toriyama-Sensei already confirmed that they were both continuations of the manga, so it could be that he was spacing things out incase they wanted to make more movies, but now they've lead into a Series, that changes the pacing of things in a big way.

I don't want them to go passed EoZ, as I feel an epilogue is an epilogue, and Toriyama-Sensei wanted to end things that way. It is up to himself and or Toei if they want to go further, if they do, then they do, but I don't see Goku at all being relegated.
The big thing for me is GT - throwing that into the mix just creates a huge mess, and although it is a side story, it is placed on the timeline. Though it seems with these god transformations, that Super Saiyan 4 may as well be retconned.

With the best part of 4 years on the timeline empty, I would be shocked to see them reaching the EoZ any time soon. It is making too much money for all parties involved, and money talks.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 am

Honestly I hope this is the last arc before they go to the endofz and beyond. They already stretched it far enough with this time period imo

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:40 am

Meshack wrote: But, Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.
Where and when? What is your source? What was communicated exactly?
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Honestly I hope this is the last arc before they go to the endofz and beyond. They already stretched it far enough with this time period imo
I don't agree. There's still so much to be explored.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:13 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Meshack wrote:Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.
I personally feel what Toyotarou said is open to interpretation: "preparing the ground" for Super to reach the End of Dragon Ball Z (how I understood it anyhow) means that he is ensuring that what is being depicted doesn't at all jeopardize contradicting the epilogue.
I say this, as before he made that statement he said " Of course, the story has to end like the original, in a coherent and natural way, so at least you know that, without a doubt, Goku, Vegeta and the others will survive."

He never gave any indication that himself or Toriyama-Sensei were writing now or getting ready to write Super's ending to fit into EoZ immediately. No time frame was mentioned, besides, I doubt very much Toei/Toriyama or Shueisha would be too happy with him revealing confidential information during an overseas comic con Q&A - not to mention the fact that this would be a huge reveal.

This said, I feel Super can stay in this 10yr gap for as long as it wants - Toei & Bandai Namco will want this to go on for years to come, especially if it keeps selling merchandise the way it has been up to now.
The BoG and "F" movies were placed on the timeline before Super was even thought about, and Toriyama-Sensei already confirmed that they were both continuations of the manga, so it could be that he was spacing things out incase they wanted to make more movies, but now they've lead into a Series, that changes the pacing of things in a big way.

I don't want them to go passed EoZ, as I feel an epilogue is an epilogue, and Toriyama-Sensei wanted to end things that way. It is up to himself and or Toei if they want to go further, if they do, then they do, but I don't see Goku at all being relegated.
The big thing for me is GT - throwing that into the mix just creates a huge mess, and although it is a side story, it is placed on the timeline. Though it seems with these god transformations, that Super Saiyan 4 may as well be retconned.

With the best part of 4 years on the timeline empty, I would be shocked to see them reaching the EoZ any time soon. It is making too much money for all parties involved, and money talks.
I guess you didn’t read what I said entirely.

They don’t care about GT. It’s apparent by the Hakaishin, Kaiohshin, Angels, 12 universes, Zenoh, Super Saiyan God transformations, Kibito Kaiohshin separating back into Shin and Kibito, the Super Dragon Balls, and other stuff. GT had its time to shine but it ended when it ended. Super is a money machine and is better overall.

I didn’t say they’re in a rush to get to the ending of the manga. It’s clear they aren’t since THREE EVENTS HAPPENED IN THE SAME YEAR. Toyotarou said they must reach the ending of the manga. Again, wasn’t saying they were in a rush to get there. The series can still make money after the 28th Tenkaichi Budoukai. It’s all because of Gokuh, of course, so it will still sell.

Read the interview again: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/6 ... re_of_dbs/
Last edited by Meshack on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 am

sangofe wrote:
Meshack wrote: But, Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Honestly I hope this is the last arc before they go to the endofz and beyond. They already stretched it far enough with this time period imo
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/6 ... re_of_dbs/
He said they must reach the ending of the manga.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 am

Meshack wrote:
sangofe wrote:
He doesn't say they're working on the ending now. He just writers Dragon Ball Super needs to at one time get there. Not how or when.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

sangofe wrote:
Meshack wrote:
sangofe wrote:

He doesn't say they're working on the ending now. He just writers Dragon Ball Super needs to at one time get there. Not how or when.
I didn’t say he said he was working on it now... Stop reaching

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Super is stretching 48 mins into 20+ episodes....

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Meshack wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Meshack wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/6 ... re_of_dbs/
I didn’t say he said he was working on it now... Stop reaching
Reaching? Not sure what you mean by that? https://www.google.no/search?q=definiti ... e&ie=UTF-8

I didn't really understand what you were trying to communicate earlier, but now I know.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Starting out pre-EoZ was a mistake, one they stubbornly refuse to fix and don't fucking tell me everyone's too old if you go after EoZ. Goku's not even physhically over 40 in EoZ and they setup the whole Saiyan's not aging until they're 80 plot point meaning Vegeta's got more then enough time left in the tank too. Fuck, you can't even tell me the Earthling's are too old because Roshi was older then Christ in DB and he fights just fine!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Starting out pre-EoZ was a mistake, one they stubbornly refuse to fix and don't fucking tell me everyone's too old if you go after EoZ. Goku's not even physhically over 40 in EoZ and they setup the whole Saiyan's not aging until they're 80 plot point meaning Vegeta's got more then enough time left in the tank too. Fuck, you can't even tell me the Earthling's are too old because Roshi was older then Christ in DB and he fights just fine!
Toriyama said it is because he feels they are at their prime during this time. He also said he drew Bulma and Kulilin old after the Tenkaichi Budoukai. It’s mainly because he thinks they’re are their prime.

It’s not a mistake to place it before the Tenkaichi Budoukai. They’re a huge time gap and you could do some manu things during that time.