How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Since Super seems like it’s supposed to be an ongoing series with no clear ending in sight, I have to wonder: how much longer will they be able to maintain its status as a midquel? By this point in time, there are supposedly only 4-5 years left in-universe until the epilogue of the manga takes place, so exactly how many more arcs can Super cram into that timeframe?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Honestly...IMO this is the last arc unless they next event happens RIGHT after or during the tournament. Its already stretching believability IMO.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Honestly...IMO this is the last arc unless they next event happens RIGHT after or during the tournament. Its already stretching believability IMO.

This is clearly not the last arc. If the series was ending soon they would have said.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Not a chance this is the last Arc. With licensing and merchandising selling like hot cakes, and 3 whole years left on the timeline before the epilogue, that's more than enough for Toriyama/Toei to go on as long as they want to, as they see fit.
They need not mention any passage of time: there is only one World Tournament in 781, 782 & 783 are completely empty. They don't have years and years to timeskip any longer - this is a different situation, but One Piece has been going for years, and only 2 have passed within the story, I see the same happening here.

As long as it keeps making money, there is no need to stop, unless Toriyama Sensei doesn't want to do it any more, but I don't think there is ever going to be a time where he will walk away again - certainly not whilst he is able to do what he is currently.
He doesn't have to draw weekly manga, he gets to write stories, and he clearly loves doing that.

Dragon Ball Super isn't going away any time soon.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Kinokima wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Honestly...IMO this is the last arc unless they next event happens RIGHT after or during the tournament. Its already stretching believability IMO.

This is clearly not the last arc. If the series was ending soon they would have said.
I never said the series was ending. I said it stretches believability to continue within the 10 year gap after this arc. If you read the question the way my answer is phrased makes sense.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

I never said the series was ending. I said it stretches believability to continue within the 10 year gap after this arc. If you read the question the way my answer is phrased makes sense.

Sorry then my mistake. They can always go beyond that gap though.

Even though Goku leaves he does say he will come back to visit. I think there is still room for more stories.

And if we ignore the we haven't seen you in 5 year comment then an even longer period of stories can be told

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Indefinitely.

The Golden Frieza, Universe 6 and Future Trunks sagas all happened pretty close together.

I'd say as long as they didn't use the Dragon Balls they could keep the story going for any length of period they choose without even coming close to EoZ.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm

The last 30 episodes have covered ~2 days worth of time. They could stretch it out for years if they wanted to. I'm really hoping they get out of the PrEoZ era soon so we can see what the future holds.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Why are people misunderstanding this topic? Nobody said Super is ending with this arc, just that this might have to be the last arc before we move into EOZ.

I agree. Pan is born, in EOZ wasn't she only 3-4 years old or something? You can't very well keep making many more stories now that Pan and Bra are born. It's bad enough Trunks and Gotens designed aren't updated, but I can't see us staying here much longer.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: As long as that $$$ keeps piling in, son! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But seriously, there's a hundred ways they can fill that gap with story. It's Dragonball. They're not really witholden to real-world time and physics.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm not sure why people even think Super is ending with the EoZ. I have yet to see a single piece of evidence to support that conjecture. DB is a billion dollar industry with a fresh, passionate young mangaka who was appointed for a reason. Super isn't going anywhere.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 am

Given that the in-universe timelapses correspond with the real world's I suppose they can go on for 4 more years.
778 = 2015, BoG and early RoF
779 = 2016, late RoF, Champa and Future Trunks.
780 = 2017, USA.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 am

Honestly it shouldn't have even been stretched this long. The sooner we go beyond EoZ the better. Hopefully it goes beyond at all.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 am

Realistically speaking, Universe Survival saga should be the last saga, another one might happen if the gap between it and the next saga weren't too big (like from Movie 15 to Future Trunks saga). We are approximately in late AGE 780 and if we pass it, then Bulma's line "we haven't met in five years" will be thrown out of the window for good.

I want Universe Survival saga to be the last one. Just because it seems this would be the only way for Toriyama/Toei to be coherent about Goten, Trunks and Marron height; and because I'm a little curious about what would they do passing end of Z.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

Good question.
I expected another arc right after (or even within) the Chikara no Taikai.
So the timeframe for another arc can be just within the next couple of days.
And I also expect another story in Trunks future. Leaving Mai and Trunks twice in the same timeline could be a built-up for another arc.

Plus I also hope they don´t go past age 780, giving Goku some time to disappear - just for that Bulma can be angry about him as seen in EoZ.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am

Grimlock wrote:Realistically speaking, Universe Survival saga should be the last saga, another one might happen if the gap between it and the next saga weren't too big (like from Movie 15 to Future Trunks saga). We are approximately in late AGE 780 and if we pass it, then Bulma's line "we haven't met in five years" will be thrown out of the window for good.

I want Universe Survival saga to be the last one. Just because it seems this would be the only way for Toriyama/Toei to be coherent about Goten, Trunks and Marron height; and because I'm a little curious about what would they do passing end of Z.
Why fans keep putting way on that? If DB can still work with a Dragon Ball taking 8 months to be activated instead of the stablished 12 months then I don't see why DB can't work with Bulma's line no longer matching.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't really see any issues with everything that has taken place in Super so far fitting into that 10 year gap. As someone said previously, we potentially have another three or four years to go.

That being said, I look forward to them moving beyond EoZ.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 pm

This is most likely the last major arc before we reach into EoZ territory. I'm pretty sure they mentioned Uub in episode 86 for a reason. And don't get the wrong idea just cause they mentioned him in episode 30.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:21 pm

The fact characters appear to be de-aging instead of physically changing more into their EoZ conceptions leads me to believe that some aspects of the timeskip as we presumed them to be may be retroactively negated. Krillin should not look like his 23rd tournament self; at best, he might just be starting to grey while developing some wrinkles but still being in relatively fit condition. What Super has done is toss those conceptions out the window in exchange for dusting off the classics so we be reeled into watching the show. We're offered a few scraps, the characters in question are removed after a few moments of shine, and it's back to business as usual for embellishing everyone's favourite cast members.

lord turbo
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:45 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Not a chance this is the last Arc. With licensing and merchandising selling like hot cakes, and 3 whole years left on the timeline before the epilogue, that's more than enough for Toriyama/Toei to go on as long as they want to, as they see fit.
They need not mention any passage of time: there is only one World Tournament in 781, 782 & 783 are completely empty. They don't have years and years to timeskip any longer - this is a different situation, but One Piece has been going for years, and only 2 have passed within the story, I see the same happening here.

As long as it keeps making money, there is no need to stop, unless Toriyama Sensei doesn't want to do it any more, but I don't think there is ever going to be a time where he will walk away again - certainly not whilst he is able to do what he is currently.
He doesn't have to draw weekly manga, he gets to write stories, and he clearly loves doing that.

Dragon Ball Super isn't going away any time soon.
This, you can literally have 18 more sagas and then state in the series that time has gone by where we hit the EoZ epilogue. I don't see DBS ending anytime soon, at least not in the next 3-5 years.