How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How long can ‘Super’ realistically stretch out the 10 year time gap?

Post by Analytical Delusion » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:16 pm

It really depends on what is going to happen with EOZ. At this point we know that a complete retcon is off the table (Toyotaro noted that they are all writing with the epilogue in mind), but it's uncertain if it's going to be rewritten (with the core elements intact), or if it will remain, as is (perhaps with a change in animation to match the Kanzenban finale).

Scenario 1: Same Ending - This really limits what can be done, unless there is no care paid to some of the statements made regarding passage of time (prolonged peace, Goku hasn't seen everyone in five years) or knowledge (Vegeta is unaware of Uub, a lot of Pan's powers being met with surprise, etc.). I think TOP would have to be the final arc before EOZ, and all major threats would have to be off the table (which limits a lot of what can be done with Freeza post-tournament, unless he settles into a pure antihero role).

Scenario 2: Altered Ending - If things are changed a bit, but there are still some vague plot elements intact (Uub exists, they will probably encounter him at the tournament, and Goku will perhaps train with him afterwards), then there is surely room for more arcs. What concerns me even in this hypothetical, is that there really is no calendar set in stone of the major events that have occurred in Super. A lot of the timeline in guidebooks was written after the fact (and perhaps not directly by Toriyama), but the narrator would note the passage of time, and in the absence of his statements, the periods between Dragon Ball usages was always instructive.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Meshack wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Starting out pre-EoZ was a mistake, one they stubbornly refuse to fix and don't fucking tell me everyone's too old if you go after EoZ. Goku's not even physhically over 40 in EoZ and they setup the whole Saiyan's not aging until they're 80 plot point meaning Vegeta's got more then enough time left in the tank too. Fuck, you can't even tell me the Earthling's are too old because Roshi was older then Christ in DB and he fights just fine!
Toriyama said it is because he feels they are at their prime during this time. He also said he drew Bulma and Kulilin old after the Tenkaichi Budoukai. It’s mainly because he thinks they’re are their prime.

It’s not a mistake to place it before the Tenkaichi Budoukai. They’re a huge time gap and you could do some manu things during that time.
Toriyama probably has a warped sense of prime since Vegeta was older in the Boo arc then Goku is in EoZ. Why's he writing the whole "Saiyan's stay young until they're 80!" thing with this kind of mentality? Gohan in EoZ is 27, 3 years younger then Goku was in the Cell Games and a lot younger then him and Vegeta are in the Boo arc. Piccolo's only 5 years younger older then him which is nothing since Kami and Piccolo could still throw down when they were centuries old.

There's literally too much evidence to point to with regards to how stupid it is to think they're NOW in their zenith but 5 more years will apparently ruin them to count.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm

How longs a peice of string?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Meshack wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Starting out pre-EoZ was a mistake, one they stubbornly refuse to fix and don't fucking tell me everyone's too old if you go after EoZ. Goku's not even physhically over 40 in EoZ and they setup the whole Saiyan's not aging until they're 80 plot point meaning Vegeta's got more then enough time left in the tank too. Fuck, you can't even tell me the Earthling's are too old because Roshi was older then Christ in DB and he fights just fine!
Toriyama said it is because he feels they are at their prime during this time. He also said he drew Bulma and Kulilin old after the Tenkaichi Budoukai. It’s mainly because he thinks they’re are their prime.

It’s not a mistake to place it before the Tenkaichi Budoukai. They’re a huge time gap and you could do some manu things during that time.
Toriyama probably has a warped sense of prime since Vegeta was older in the Boo arc then Goku is in EoZ. Why's he writing the whole "Saiyan's stay young until they're 80!" thing with this kind of mentality? Gohan in EoZ is 27, 3 years younger then Goku was in the Cell Games and a lot younger then him and Vegeta are in the Boo arc. Piccolo's only 5 years younger older then him which is nothing since Kami and Piccolo could still throw down when they were centuries old.

There's literally too much evidence to point to with regards to how stupid it is to think they're NOW in their zenith but 5 more years will apparently ruin them to count.
He was referring to their power. “The fact is, I thought, ‘Man, I really made everyone old in the last chapter of the manga’. I even gave Vegeta a mustache (laughs). So, I chose this period because everyone had got to maximum strength. A few years after the “Majin-Boo Arc”, and before Pan’s birth.” - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ma-sensei/

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 pm

sangofe wrote:
Meshack wrote: But, Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.
Where and when? What is your source? What was communicated exactly?
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Honestly I hope this is the last arc before they go to the endofz and beyond. They already stretched it far enough with this time period imo
I don't agree. There's still so much to be explored.
Well we have to agree to disagree lad , I don't agree with you about this time period having "so much to be explored". Yet truly going beyond Z has a lot of ways to expand and explore the series imo.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:22 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Meshack wrote: But, Toyotarou said they’re working towards the ending of the manga so I don’t think they’re gonna have a lot of events like three a year or more.
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Honestly I hope this is the last arc before they go to the endofz and beyond. They already stretched it far enough with this time period imo
Well we have to agree to disagree lad , I don't agree with you about this time period having "so much to be explored". Yet truly going beyond Z has a lot of ways to expand and explore the series imo.
Think about all the universes. And planet sadla. There's a lot of potential.
Ps. Please don't call 35 years old men for lads. That's a bit disrespectful. Heck, calling anyone on a forum is disrespectful.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:14 am

sangofe wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
sangofe wrote:

But dude, we'd still have all those universes, but also more possibilities if we weren't confined in this time range.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am

sangofe wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Ps. Please don't call 35 years old men for lads. That's a bit disrespectful. Heck, calling anyone on a forum is disrespectful.
How you take things isn't really my concern, but I suppose I won't write lads so you can focus more on the conversation and less on feeling "disrespected".
Any way, all the universes, planet Sadala, etc. Would still be around and can still be explored beyond the endofz, so that's not much of an argument. Much like what TekTheNinja stated, we'd have that, plus more possibilities if we weren't confined in this time range.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote: Well we have to agree to disagree lad , I don't agree with you about this time period having "so much to be explored". Yet truly going beyond Z has a lot of ways to expand and explore the series imo.
How you take things isn't really my concern, but I suppose I won't write lads so you can focus more on the conversation and less on feeling "disrespected".
Any way, all the universes, planet Sadala, etc. Would still be around and can still be explored beyond the endofz, so that's not much of an argument. Much like what TekTheNinja stated, we'd have that, plus more possibilities if we weren't confined in this time range.
The definition of lad: https://www.google.no/search?q=definiti ... e&ie=UTF-8

Let them finish this time frame then move on. I see no reason for a time skip. Give me Dragon Ball for years to come.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:05 am

sangofe wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Let them finish this time frame then move on. I see no reason for a time skip. Give me Dragon Ball for years to come.
What's there to finish? They've been making a shit ton of stuff happen in such a small time frame, which rarely happened in the original run. Back then there was a decently sized time skip after almost ever arc, which I'm not necessarily saying we need, but we need SOME time to pass for progression's sake, and also to maybe finally characterize Uub.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:51 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote: How you take things isn't really my concern, but I suppose I won't write lads so you can focus more on the conversation and less on feeling "disrespected".

What's there to finish? They've been making a shit ton of stuff happen in such a small time frame, which rarely happened in the original run. Back then there was a decently sized time skip after almost ever arc, which I'm not necessarily saying we need, but we need SOME time to pass for progression's sake, and also to maybe finally characterize Uub.
There are universes that aren't even participating in the tournament because they're too strong. There's the saiyans in universe 6 and their home planet. I'd honestly like to explore this first without a time skip. Sure, they could still be explored with a time skip but they'd be older and it would feel strange as we just get to know some characters.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 am

sangofe wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
sangofe wrote:

There are universes that aren't even participating in the tournament because they're too strong. There's the saiyans in universe 6 and their home planet. I'd honestly like to explore this first without a time skip. Sure, they could still be explored with a time skip but they'd be older and it would feel strange as we just get to know some characters.
Fuck the Universe 6 saiyans. It's not their show.

Not everything needs to be squeezed into this stupid goddamned gap, either.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
sangofe wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: What's there to finish? They've been making a shit ton of stuff happen in such a small time frame, which rarely happened in the original run. Back then there was a decently sized time skip after almost ever arc, which I'm not necessarily saying we need, but we need SOME time to pass for progression's sake, and also to maybe finally characterize Uub.
As long as it doesn't become The Goku Show...

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:29 pm

sangofe wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Well this wouldn't have been a problem if the show just BEGAN post-EoZ.

And Super has always been the Goku Show. I'm hoping a time skip might help it be be a little bit less like that because Uub HAS to be at least a little important for instance.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Well this wouldn't have been a problem if the show just BEGAN post-EoZ.

And Super has always been the Goku Show. I'm hoping a time skip might help it be be a little bit less like that because Uub HAS to be at least a little important for instance.
Goku is the main character for sure but it's nothing compared to Dragon Ball Gt for example. And honestly I think there's been plenty of other interesting characters than Goku in Super.

Cabba
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Cabba » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Fukk i hope they get past Z ending, i always hated how Z ended, putting focus on annoying Uub and turning Goten and Trunks into punks (especially Goten since Trunks at least worked)
Just make up some BS wish that makes everyone young again, or a thing where God powers Give Vegeta and Goku the ability to live for many millennia and that the saiyan D that ascended beyond God makes their wife and offspring life longer along with themselves

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Cabba wrote:Fukk i hope they get past Z ending, i always hated how Z ended, putting focus on annoying Uub and turning Goten and Trunks into punks (especially Goten since Trunks at least worked)
Just make up some BS wish that makes everyone young again, or a thing where God powers Give Vegeta and Goku the ability to live for many millennia and that the saiyan D that ascended beyond God makes their wife and offspring life longer along with themselves

This made me laugh :lol:

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Ever heard about the "dragon ball room"? Google it. The show not gonna end in the next 3 years at least.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:44 pm

I think one more arc. Regardless of the outcome of the Universe of Power, there is a reckoning coming with Zeno destroying universes and/or Freeza's potential ressurection and use of the Super Dragon Balls. I think their will be a clean up arc. Then characters go their separate ways. THEN we go past the 10 year gap.

Cabba
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Cabba » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:00 pm

gohan_black wrote:Ever heard about the "dragon ball room"? Google it. The show not gonna end in the next 3 years at least.
Yeah one of nogazawas interviews gave me hope, where she said she wanted super to span 700+ episodes
Personally i feel DBS universe setting has so much potentail for story telling, we are only just touching the tip of the iceberg
[spoiler]fuck eoz[/spoiler]