We should have visted more Planets.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

We should have visted more Planets.

Post by Xeztin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 pm

I feel like we should have vistied more planets in Super and seen Planet Yardrat in the manga. I feel like there were numeous planets like in GT that could have been visited before going out of universe. We only had 3 interesting races. Saiyans, Yardrats, and Namekians. The Yardrats were never shown. Every other interesting race went extinct or we only seen a few of them. What do you guys think? I feel like if Toriyama continued Z after the Boo saga, we’d have started visiting other planets like in GT. At that point in my opinion Earth was done. I thought Namek was really interesting and Toriyama could have cone up with a lot more interesting planets and people in his prime-not-burnt-out self. At the Boo saga it seems unfathonble that someone could be stronger except for a God, but this was all on Planet Earth. Had Beerus and the universe scale not been introduced, they would have had to venture out of Earth. I suppose thats why GT took that route. Anyways if I were to have continued it, I’d have Jaco land on Earth and ask Goku/Bulma for help in a space war (like star wars) where a bunch of people of different organizations/empires were using energy blast lazer like weapons and possibly even energy swords were battling over planets, money, etc. of course there would be some stronger than Goku, it could be remnants of Freeza’s empire under new leadership or something. Just an idea of many it could have gone. How would you have continued it? I guess my idea would have been inspired by Star Wars and Halo.

MaskedRider
Banned

Re: We should have visted more Planets.

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Eh...the problem is that visiting planets in GT worked because of how the plot involved adventuring in space due to their goal, in Super it doesn't because there is no reason for them to visit other planets. It would be interesting but the Jelly Vegeta arc was more than enough. I wouldn't be against exploring planets in between arc episodes but the way we have had different settings (Zuno, that atmospheric planet in the Hit episode, different universes, tiny showing of Planet Sadal) casually show up makes me satisfied to what we got in relation to what the story needs to tell.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 pm

MaskedRider wrote:in Super it doesn't because there is no reason for them to visit other planets.
Well, Vegeta wants to visit Sadala so that's estabilished more or less. You also have Jaco to come up with whatever reason to travel to various planets too.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Xeogran wrote:
MaskedRider wrote:in Super it doesn't because there is no reason for them to visit other planets.
Well, Vegeta wants to visit Sadala so that's estabilished more or less. You also have Jaco to come up with whatever reason to travel to various planets too.
Sure but nothing to write a major arc about though that idea OP had does sound like a good one.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Visiting random alien planets would get boring fast. It got boring in GT, it would be boring now.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 pm

All they have to do is have them visit the other sayians or the U11 fighters and then have an incident happen. Then adventure away. It would be easy to establish a reason after this. We already had it with having meat cabba in the last tournament.

Or have beerus send them on some multiuniversal errand for him and they can get in lots of trouble on the way. There are lots of natural plot points.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm

precita wrote:Visiting random alien planets would get boring fast. It got boring in GT, it would be boring now.
That depends entirely how they do it, it was barely covered in GT only a short time at the beginning of GT when they did it, and most of it wasn't very good, but relative to the beginning of Super it wasn't bad. Discovering new planets is only boring if they write them that way. I liked the robot planet but beyond that most of the planets they made to visit were pointless and seemed like filler that was the only reason it was boring.

A big part of the reason it was boring was because of one of GT's main problems, making Goku way too overpowered. As long as they don't write all the planets as complete weaklings who have no sort of unique abilities or anything to gain from then it won't be boring, although Super would probably do that so nevermind.

If there exists beings as strong as Frieza and Jiren then there's no reason a random species couldn't be stronger than regular SSJ

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm

I would have liked to see some planet exploring episodes with Monaka, Jaco and the Saiyan kids. We could have gotten a mini-arc like that before FT arc, and that would have also helped the schedule.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:27 pm

I feel like they would have to tie in with the characters or antagonists in some significant way for them to mean something. For example, coming across the homeworld of Freeza's species would likely have most fans intrigued since the tyrant is such a beloved character and there's a lot of mystery behind who and what he is. Yardratians would be another good possibility if they hadn't squandered this recent opportunity with Jimeze by having him reduced to a hit & run caricatural teleporter. Goku described them as being a species with a plethora of unique and potent techniques. Where were all these abilities? All we saw was the Instant Transmission. Was it too much for Toei to conceive of some new abilities for Jimeze that follow the same pattern as Guldo and Shin's fighting styles?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Well I want them to visit Planet Sadala for many reasons

* We can learn more about Saiyan Culture beyond just seeing them as warriors and it would be a fun way for Goku and the 1/2 Saiyans to learn more about themselves and for Vegeta to remember his home planet

* A good way to develop the U6 Saiyans. There is only so much you can do in a fighting tournament

* I guess my hopes for this type of arc would be too high as I can see political intrigue and plotting and Goku and Co helping to stop some internal struggle. I am not sure if Dragon Ball would ever end up with that type of story. Maybe that would be a bit too complex. But that is something I would want from a Planet Sadala arc.

But I just think it has a lot of story possibilities!

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 am

It could be a nice mini arc if the writers were creative enough, and as one of the posts above says could be another opportunity to show Goten/Trunks, as they are absolutely almost absent from Super as we speak. Did the writers literally forget about the younger sons of the main characters? Feels like it! I guess it explains why in GT they are nobody's :lol: Or maybe it's all part of the plan (insert Joker meme) :crazy:

But in all seriousness it seems like there was little to no exploration at all in our own Universe 7, aside from Namek and Goku "describing" his experience after his fight with Frieza until the Android Saga. I know I don't like GT but there are some little tidbits I have to respect.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 am

Zagacious wrote: If there exists beings as strong as Frieza and Jiren then there's no reason a random species couldn't be stronger than regular SSJ
We've already seen all the ToP contestants and Goku's near the top, probably only behind Jiren. Goku's not going to struggle against some fodder from planet x. Heck, Roshi made the team for universe 7.....
Zagacious wrote: As long as they don't write all the planets as complete weaklings who have no sort of unique abilities or anything to gain from then it won't be boring, although Super would probably do that so nevermind.
Probably why I enjoyed the GT space adventures more than I have the ToP (other than the Jiren fight). They weren't just complete weaklings with a generic designs or fighting styles (ki blasts, repetitive punching and kicking).

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 pm

So whatever happens after this arc and U6 somehow makes it out, I would like Vegeta to at least have a mini arc to visit Sadala. I think it would be nice for Vegeta's character to see more of the life style of the U6 saiyans.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am

I feel like Dragon Ball could have done more in thenalsect of exploring and stories that could have happened. Toriyama didn’t plan too far ahead and that’s okay. I guess because things came off the top of his head at the time, he didn’t really think much of exploring the galaxies. He kinda made Gokuh the strongest very quick until Hakaishin Beerus came around and now we have Super. I hope we linda get more exploration but have a story behind it like GT but not introducing MORE Dragon Balls. This is why I like the fact that Toriyama still haven’t thought of when to make Gokuh stronger than Beerus because you really couldn’t do much.