Have Freeza's goals changed? Is killing Son Goku no longer a priority?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Have Freeza's goals changed? Is killing Son Goku no longer a priority?

Post by Asura » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:09 pm

When Freeza was introduced back into the series with the Tournament of Power arc, it was revealed that in his meditation in hell, he spent almost every waking moment dreaming of different ways to kill Goku. Initially it seemed his goal was clear: Win the ToP, get revived, and kill Goku. However, once actually in the Tournament of Power, Freeza's attention immediately turns to the gods, especially the Zenos, and he expresses that one day he will rule over all of them, especially Beerus. It looked as if Freeza's goal was slowly shifting towards the gods, although there was always the question of when he would inevitably betray Universe 7, since he clearly hates all of them. So far though, Freeza hasn't shown any intention of betraying his own universe, at least not yet.

After seeing the monster that Jiren is and how much of a problem it would be if he was forced to fight him, Freeza willingly and happily gives his energy for the Spirit Bomb. His priority is to win and get resurrected, and Jiren is standing in the way of that wish, so he'll do anything possible to win, even if it means helping his sworn monkey enemy. However, Goku's Ultra Instinct form immediately captures Freeza's eye, and we see Freeza willingly give Goku his energy a second time after Jiren defeats him. He confides in Goku that not even he himself would be able to beat Jiren, and that he needs Goku to get rid of Jiren for him, assumingly so that he can see the Ultra Instinct form once more, which had all of the GoDs with their jaws dropped on the floor in awe of how powerful it was.

So what is Freeza's goal now? Has he set his sights on something much higher, to the point where killing Goku isn't even a priority? Is his sole ambition now to learn Goku's Ultra Instinct form and rise above the Gods? Surely he would like to kill Goku once and for all, but is that really even on his mind anymore? Freeza has been a complete enigma in this tournament, a wildcard that no one expected to be written this well, and his seemingly friendly actions towards Goku and the others surely makes us wonder if it's all an act, or if he genuinely does not want to betray them, or even focus on them anymore? Has killing Goku and U7 become such a non-factor now that he's seen all the GoDs, the Zenos, and Ultra Instinct?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Have Freeza's goals changed? Is killing Son Goku no longer a priority?

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Asura wrote:Freeza has been a complete enigma in this tournament, a wildcard that no one expected to be written this well
HMPF :evil: I always loved the idea of bringing Freeza back for the ToP, and I fully expected him to be written well because that'd be his first time on the good side, and the writers wouldn't want to waste such brilliant opportunity.
I was fighting days and nights against his haters who thought he'd betray U7 as soon as possible and would rather have Buu or even... Yamcha instead :|

Killing Goku is a typical goal of the old stereotypical Freeza. For now, he has ascended beyond that and plans on a higher perspective. Firstly, he wants to overtake the GoDs, and then, we'll see where Freeza will go from there.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Right now he probably can't unless he gets a cheap shot in or if he attacked when Goku lost all his power, but even Frieza did kill him he wouldn't gain much out of it because he'd still be erased which is arguably worse than being stuck in hell. I think he still wants to kill him he just wants to gain as much power and strategy as possible first so his victory is certain, and it seems he probably wants to become a god of destruction or higher if possible.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Freeza will never stop wanting revenge on Goku. But he can't do it now or he'll be disqualified. He said in an earlier episode he wanted to rule over all the God's.

As long as Freeza never "turns good" I'm fine with whatever they do with him. Freeza becoming a good guy would be the biggest jump the shark moment in Dragonball history, the last and final straw that breaks the camels back once and for all, and the entire franchise will basically be viewed as a parody. It would be the one thing that would make me quit watching Super for good and disavow its existence. I honestly feel a little sick to my stomach and almost felt like having to vomit over the idea of Freeza "turning over a new leaf."

Hopefully it never comes to that. Just please god no.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Freeza simply isn't an idiot. He never really has been. Before, he would just let his emotions and anger get the better of him because he always got what he wanted and never before had such things happened to humiliate him. He's brought back and obviously wants revenge is also spiteful which is shown by him destroying North City just to get Goku angry. I wouldn't call him a rookie as a fighter either, but he certainly isn't a master fighter either on the level of Goku or Vegeta who have spent their entire lives fighting. He just got a new form and thought he could win with that power. His plan was just brute force. He got humiliated and killed again, but he was also humbled. He's had at least a year or more to contemplate why he's failed again.

Freeza's role in the universe was that of a conqueror. An emperor. A ruler with an iron fist which the likes no one could ever go up against except his dad, Beerus who was asleep, and Boo who was hibernating. With him dead, he didn't have that anymore. Nothing but the want for revenge even when first brought back. But like mentioned before, he's had more time to think about how to succeed. Before, he trained simply physically and now he needed to train his mind. He image trained and learned to control his power and ki with utmost focus and was vital in being able to keep himself composed in the Hell he couldn't take where he was for over a decade. Before, he was losing his shit. Now, he was calm and composed. Not only does it allow him to become stronger and become a better fighter, it's allowed him to keep his emotions at bay whatever the goal may be which was so far still killing Goku. He dedicated all that time to kill who put him there. But now this same guy is giving him the chance to live again. It's shocking, but if this was old Freeza, he wouldn't do it out of spite. But this is a different Freeza. One that's trained not just his body when he never did before, but his mind too which is showcased when he says how he was able to keep the ferocity of his power while handling it delicately. It also allows him to see that he's meant to do more than just exact revenge when U9's Gods show themselves. He sees that maybe he can achieve even more than what he had before and what he originally planned. He sees that he can make more out of the opportunity given to him. He sees that with all the drama between the Gods, he could probably rule over them. And he begins to want it even more after seeing Zeno and showing disdain for children being so high in the God Hierarchy. He knows what's at stake and shows that he's gonna do anything he can in order to get what he wants even if it means playing by the rules and do things he wouldn't normally do; he helps Gohan even though he said he'd kill him if he didn't pick up on his act (cause he's evil and that's who he is) and giving Goku energy for the spirit bomb and energy when Goku had none. He mentions twice that both instances reminded him of namek. So, he's nostalgic (oh the irony). Why does that matter? Both of these instances let him see his position in a new way. Goku may have failed in killing him with the spirit bomb but it led to a point where Goku could've killed him when he cut himself in half. Had he done that, it'd be over. He wouldn't be here. But Goku showed mercy. It led to more humiliation of course and is part of why he wants to kill him, but had none of this happened, he wouldn't be where he is today. He has an underlying fondness for him not cause he's a good person, but because of the aforementioned things above. He's indebted to him because of that decision. It's why he tells him the debt is settled when he gives him his energy at the beginning of Ep 111. I'll also addthat I think it's one of the best moments in the canon as well as when he gives the spirit bomb energy. Goku allowed him to be in a better position physically, mentally, and in a place where he could rule so much more than ever before. Plus, he knows Goku has the best shot at beating Jiren because of UI and makes things easier for him. Jiren's too strong. So, in his eyes, Goku has also set up his own demise. He is still going to kill him. Freeza is evil and it's his nature.

He's the best written character so far in the whole arc and possibly in Super. His character development and characterization are top notch. He's pretty much a guaranteed scene stealer every time he's on screen and I never thought Freeza of all people would be the character to do that. Who knows where he will be at the end of this arc or if he even has a future past (no reference intended) this arc (which would be the most interesting turn of events if it did happen), but he definitely solidifies himself as the best DB villain ever (besides Zamasu) and the true overarching villain of the whole series no matter who comes and goes.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't know why I see so many people say that they'll quit the series if Freeza turns good. It seems so weird to me that people actually think that's even a possibility worth bringing up or worth considering. The writers of Super have obviously made some extremely controversial choices at times, but making Freeza into a good guy isn't even remotely possible at this point, it shouldn't even be a considered a possibility

In terms of Freeza not being able to kill Goku right now because he'll be disqualified, that's not what I meant. I meant that after this tournament is all over, or when there's an opportunity for Freeza to challenge the gods, will the priority of killing Goku be forgotten about in terms of trying to achieve something greater?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Freeza can't torment and torture Gokû if Gokû's already dead. Look how long Freeza left Vegeta alive. Freeza's sadism bug can't be scratched with Gokû somewhere he can't get to him. Even with them both dead they'd still be separated.

Freeza would probably, if he could, capture Gokû and torture him as long as he could and when/if Freeza finally tired of it, then he'd kill Gokû.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 pm

I agree that Freeza has great characterization in the TOP but I disagree his character has great development. Until we know what his true intentions are he may be the same Freeza. So I don’t think he has really gone through any major changes, at least not yet. That’s not a bad thing and I am hoping he stays evil. I don’t want to see a redeemed Freeza but I also don’t think it 100% won’t happen. I definitely think it is one possibility for his character now that he has been brought back again. And if it does happen I guess I will have to accept it and hope for the best.

Anyways I think Freeza’s strength as a character at the moment is a lot of his true intentions remain a mystery. That is what makes his character fun for me because I never know what he is going to do. I actually thought Freeza was pretty boring in ROF so it’s only in this arc that I am really enjoying his characterization. But once Freeza’s intentions become clear and his character settles I am not really sure I will be as interested in him as I am now. But for now yes I agree Freeza has been one of the best things about the TOP.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:02 am

This is a very unpredictable and unstable character. But one thing I am confident about is that it may be until after the ToP is said and done before he ultimately carries out his goals. If he truly wants to live and still be a part of Universe 7 I just can't imagine him wiping out characters that are along side him and expect to gain anything out of it while this arc is still airing.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 am

Yes I'd say. Priority is the right word to use as I'm sure he'll still love to kill Goku if the opportunity arises but Resurrection "F" taught him a lesson letting revenge totally consume him was his down fall and now he's back to his sly and manipulative self, he's seeing the big picture here like he says this ToP seems a good opportunity for him to manipulate the gods and in #110 we see him reacting to all the gods being scared over Goku's UI.

Freeza kept Goku alive because he is only one that has a chance to beat Jiren, not out of any sense of goodness of his heart. That's Freeza.

Bringing Freeza back was one of the best things they did this arc, he's been interesting and makes RF seem a lot more important than it was (plus also doesn't mean I wasted buying a Golden Freeza figure :lol: )

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:22 am

First things first. Right now, Freeza's number one priority is to get ressurected. And he needs Son Goku for that.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:45 am

Yeah agreed Freeza is really well written in this arc and nothing is out of character, I don't see him becoming (and certainly don't wish to) a goody two shoes ever. The Namek arc's pun not only made sense 100% but was also a real treat.

Also he's afraid of Jiren lol

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:Yeah agreed Freeza is really well written in this arc and nothing is out of character, I don't see him becoming (and certainly don't wish to) a goody two shoes ever. The Namek arc's pun not only made sense 100% but was also a real treat.

Also he's afraid of Jiren lol
I don't think so. Freeza no longer displays the same kind of quivering cowardice around someone like Beerus anymore. Not necessarily because he thinks he could beat him, but because he now knows exactly where he stands among all of the Universes.

Freeza's development as a character is displayed in him overcoming a major weakness of his: his pride. Not the same kind of pride as Saiyans, his is based around his power and what it meant. Before he ever met Goku, his power always held true for him. The only time it didn't before Goku was Beerus, for whom he developed a fear of and stuffed it down. Once the Saiyans started to rise up, he started to fear they might actually ascend and be a threat, so he put a stop to that. And then comes Goku. This low-class Saiyan warrior that manages to actually put Freeza on the ropes and surpass him. A filthy Saiyan! Unheard of!

He let his pride get the better of him and rushed to Earth after having his life saved by being turned into a cyborg to get revenge, only to be killed by ANOTHER filthy Saiyan! Thus, he spends many years in Hell with his stubborn pride and unrepentant evil nature keeping him going. He's motivated only by revenge, and when he's revived, he learns a lesson from Goku and decides to improve himself. Unfortunately, it's not enough, and Goku beats him AGAIN! Not to mention that even after becoming so powerful, Beerus shows up and shows that he's still an insignificant bug. He's killed once more and sent to Hell.

This time, though, he really concentrates hard on what matters the most: Son Goku. This filthy Saiyan has one-upped him every time they've tussled, so he learns to maintain control of his composure for the first time in his entire life, which pushes him to new heights and allows him to survive in Hell intact. Once he's brought back into the realm of the living by Baba, he sees the world with renewed perspective. He now knows that existence is a LOT bigger than he though, filled with so many beings that he couldn't possibly hope to defeat. He's been humbled by Goku, and he now realizes that he can't go about things the way he's usually done. He's patient and scheming, much more so than ever before, but more importantly, he's COMPOSED. He's not losing his sh*t around Beerus anymore, and in fact relishes in learning about the gods for whatever plans he may have.

Freeza has overcome his emotional immaturity and become a truly intelligent supervillain. He can recognize where his place is, if only to analyze how he can usurp those above him. Freeza fears nothing anymore, all thanks to Goku. Son Goku created the single most dastardly villain in the entire franchise, one that's intelligent, calm, and analytical.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:28 pm

What if Frost's evil was a sign that Freeza was his good counterpart all along

Jokes aside, as many pointed out, Freeza needs not to be disqualified, risked being destroyed by Beerus, has learned a lesson from RoF and much more. If anything I think his goals has changed from killing Goku to the gods, I'm sure on a deep personal level he wants to kill Goku but certainly last thing on his mind being aware of Jiren's power.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 pm

I believe Frieza still intends to take his revenge. Just not right now since he needs them to be revived.

However, he's been showing signs of having much larger goals, which is exciting. I'm hoping Frieza because a multi universal threat instead of a U7 one.

Since he's naturally strong, I wonder if he's going to plot and try to learn Ultra instinct as well.
How i predict the tournament will end:

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Agreed that Freeza coming back again was one of Toriyama’s better decisions. Before he was overly emotional. Now he’s a much more meticulous and scheming villain, similar to Cell. Freeza consistently manages to steal the show for me, and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed him this much. He truly is DB’s best villain (Zamasu in second).

Also, Freeza just isn’t turning a new leaf. Not gonna happen. Piccolo turned a new leaf not only because of his battles with Gokū, but his time with Gohan. Vegeta similarly turned over a new leaf because of Gokū and Bulma. It’s gonna take too much to make Freeza be good, which just isn’t going to happen. He’s too enjoyable as a villain. He’s been written quite well in this arc particularly and I agree that he’s developed.

That being said, to actually answer the OP, I’m sure Freeza’s goals are mostly the same, but killing Gokū is no longer the priority, but still a priority. Him being a multi-universal threat would be intriguing to see. Just imagine if someone with massive ki such as Freeza got his hands on god ki.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: I don't think so..
Err I'm sorry mate but could you pinpoint the part where you disagree with me? I don't see anything from my post that negates what you just said lol

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 am

I think that Frieza's goal now is to become what he was in the Namek arc. An untouchable SOB that no one could touch and could do anything he wanted. Goku now seems to be a means to an end for Frieza, although I'm sure they'll clash once more.

I've written a solid post about Frieza's new direction, won't bother to repeat myself.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 pm

I really wonder how Toriyama will handle Freeza. Will he get resurrected? If yes, will he die again? And who's going to kill him?
I don't really think we will see a third battle between Goku and Freeza, unless that is the ending of Super and Toriyama intends to have Freeza seen as Goku's enemy forever, a la Joker with Batman. Which could be interesting.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:56 am

Freeza's priorities have shifted beyond something as small as personal revenge. Does he want to humiliate & kill Goku? Absolutely, but after observing the gods and his place in the multiverse he desires more. Much more. He wants to be a THE God of Destruction, where the multiverse is his plaything. Basically, he wants to re-attain his position of old, before Goku shattered his reality.

While the big match between Jiren & Goku is the main spectacle of the ToP, Frieza is the most interesting part about it. He steals the scene every time he's in it, simply because we just don't know what he's going to do next and what his goals are.