Have Freeza's goals changed? Is killing Son Goku no longer a priority?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: Have Freeza's goals changed? Is killing Son Goku no longer a priority?

Post by SsjCookie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 am

Freeza is actually the only reason I'm still watching this show.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Frieza wants the Super Dragon Balls to wish for his best friend, Cell, back.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:38 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Frieza wants the Super Dragon Balls to wish for his best friend, Cell, back.
That's a nice wish. Too bad nobody even remembers Cell exists.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Freeza's goals haven't changed; his path to achieving his goals has, though. I imagine all his time in Hell and mental training has given him time to come up with a few schemes.
Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Frieza wants the Super Dragon Balls to wish for his best friend, Cell, back.
That's a nice wish. Too bad nobody even remembers Cell exists.
Of course no one remembers him; he was such a minor Marvel character, only being in like 4 Morlocks issues.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:55 pm

More than vengeance and a strong yearning to reclaim his perceived authority as the greatest of those around them, Freeza likes to conduct himself as a reasonable baron who prefers not to have loose ends in the transactions he undertakes. Apart from just the sadism and genocidal trivialisation of life, he enjoys mocking those who happen to take a stand against him or whom he feels obligated to address. In the case of Goku's recent predicament of being deprived of stamina, Freeza indulged in his own ego by placing the exhausted beleaguered Goku in his own hands; the Saiyan was apprehensive, uncertain of what it is the tyrant intended to do. Freeza played into that fear to satisfy his own hunger for cruelty. But instead of predictably taking a fatal jab at Goku, he defied expectations by healing him, albeit with the visual impression that he meant harm. It was a faux gesture meant to force Goku to realise that his life was in Freeza's hands and that he was meant to play into the schemes the tyrant has in store. It also ties into the aforementioned fact of not wanting to have loose ends. Healing Goku not only helps him, it also gives Freeza a high position in which he's able to declare that their debt has been settled; a gesture which satirises Goku's compassionate nature, an irony that certainly hasn't been lost on Freeza because he wants to demean Goku, not just kill him.

It's obvious Freeza still aims to kill Goku; that's been his objective ever since the Saiyan refused his proposal of servitude on Namek. As others explained, the conflicts surrounding them and the realisation of the celestial hierarchy has caused Freeza to shift things around so that the more impending threat is put first on the list. Zeno, the angels and Hakaishin all pose a far bigger risk, but also potentially a much greater reward, should Freeza play his cards right. Killing Goku now would serve to only alienate and condemn himself. If he continues to work behind the scenes, though, it's possible he could seize an opportunity to rise above the deities somehow. I suspect that's what his intentions could be like.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 am

Well Freeza confirmed in episode 112 that his wish would be to control the gods. I would say that is probably more important than killing Goku for him at the moment. :)

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 am

Kinokima wrote:Well Freeza confirmed in episode 112 that his wish would be to control the gods. I would say that is probably more important than killing Goku for him at the moment. :)
The problem is... even if he would win, which he won’t... the wish has to be said in the language of gods.

Would GP or someone else really do it?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 am

Kishido wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Well Freeza confirmed in episode 112 that his wish would be to control the gods. I would say that is probably more important than killing Goku for him at the moment. :)
The problem is... even if he would win, which he won’t... the wish has to be said in the language of gods.

Would GP or someone else really do it?

That’s a good point and whether Freeza will be able to make that wish depends on if the story wants to make him a main villain again or not. I mean how would they even manage to beat him if he got those type of powers

But I was just stating that he finally let his cards out on the table not that he would succeed.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:31 am

Freeza's moved past Goku, he wants something bigger now, like making the GoDs his personal puppets.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm

I really wonder how they'll handle Freeza post-TOP. He can still only come back for 1 day, and I doubt Goku will revive him. Letting him go free to run rampant is also absurd.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

precita wrote:I really wonder how they'll handle Freeza post-TOP. He can still only come back for 1 day, and I doubt Goku will revive him. Letting him go free to run rampant is also absurd.
You mean like Piccolo... You mean like Vegeta?

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Kishido wrote:
precita wrote:I really wonder how they'll handle Freeza post-TOP. He can still only come back for 1 day, and I doubt Goku will revive him. Letting him go free to run rampant is also absurd.
Piccolo wanted to rule the world, but he never actually did anything particularly evil. He was following the footsteps of his predecessor. But that's about it, mostly sticking to himself in wastelands before he encountered Gohan.
Vegeta is a good example, but we all know that was done selfishly by Goku to have another round at a great fight. Frieza is far worst than the others, and Goku has no need to keep Frieza around when we have characters far superior like the GoD's, Jiren, Toppo, Hit, Vegeta, etc around for Goku to fight against whenever his need for battle kicks in. Get real, Frieza has no purpose beyond this ToP, and him becoming a good guy would be unbelievably stupid on so many levels.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Kishido wrote:
Piccolo wanted to rule the world, but he never actually did anything particularly evil. He was following the footsteps of his predecessor. But that's about it, mostly sticking to himself in wastelands before he encountered Gohan.
Vegeta is a good example, but we all know that was done selfishly by Goku to have another round at a great fight. Frieza is far worst than the others, and Goku has no need to keep Frieza around when we have characters far superior like the GoD's, Jiren, Toppo, Hit, Vegeta, etc around for Goku to fight against whenever his need for battle kicks in. Get real, Frieza has no purpose beyond this ToP, and him becoming a good guy would be unbelievably stupid on so many levels.
We will see if Goku breaks their deal.

And who says ToP is the last arc Freeza might be needed

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Kishido wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Kishido wrote:
We will see if Goku breaks their deal.

And who says ToP is the last arc Freeza might be needed
Just saying I don't really see where Frieza could fit in the story beyond this arc. Though I'm happy with whatever happans with Frieza, as long as he remains an evil force.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:00 pm

For me it seems like frieza got 100x times smarter while in hell after the RF sega. His revenge plan in RF was stupid as hell. He let his anger consume him and did a fatal mistake as a result coming back when he was not ready. It seems like frieza actually got brain cells and realized after goku revived him that pretending to be good and manipulating is more efficient and realistic way then just straight being openly evil. Frieza has passed his anger issues that he had since namek. Frieza TOP version is a smart psychopath who know how to manipulate his rivals rather then being the stupid charecter that he was in Z and in the RF sega. We gotta give credit to db super writers. They gave frieza other dimentions. Frieza know hes not match for the gods. He know he cant make a stupid move anymore. He will supress the gods trough manipulation and not power.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:39 pm

gohan_black wrote:For me it seems like frieza got 100x times smarter while in hell after the RF sega. His revenge plan in RF was stupid as hell. He let his anger consume him and did a fatal mistake as a result coming back when he was not ready. It seems like frieza actually got brain cells and realized after goku revived him that pretending to be good and manipulating is more efficient and realistic way then just straight being openly evil. Frieza has passed his anger issues that he had since namek. Frieza TOP version is a smart psychopath who know how to manipulate his rivals rather then being the stupid charecter that he was in Z and in the RF sega. We gotta give credit to db super writers. They gave frieza other dimentions. Frieza know hes not match for the gods. He know he cant make a stupid move anymore. He will supress the gods trough manipulation and not power.
Agreed 100%. ToP Frieza gives Z and RoF Frieza a run for their money.

Easily.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:55 am

Freeza has always been smart.

Back in the namek, he was the most powerful being in the existence (except beerus)
Not counting his dad, the strongest being in existence after him was captain ginyu who he could easily one-shot in his first form. His lackeys dodoria and zarbon were some of the strongest beings in the universe.

Yet, they all got killed by saiyans, filthy apes with ridiculous battle potential. The monkeys, who used to serve beneath his feet before he decided to put him out forever, to make sure that they don't rebel. A low-class saiyan warrior from earth manages to match him in his final form, and if that's not enough, he goes super-saiyan and defeats him. Even worse, he gives him his energy to show "mercy" on the emperor of the universe. That's humiliation. He'd rather die than accept mercy from such a scum.

Then he returns to earth to get revenge on the "super saiyan" because he wanted to show that he is still the strongest bein in the universe, deserving of being the emperor the universe needs. Yet, another super saiyan kills him easily. But he could've prevented this all, it only happened because Goku humiliated him on Namek. Oherwise he could've just chosen to ignore him or blow up earth. So, again Goku at the fault.

After spending years in hell, he realizes that he has a massive potential and he can unlock it in 4 months. However years of torture has only served to fuel his rage. After revival, he learns to control his rage and power burning within him during training. He decides that his revenge won't be as simple as a mere death of Goku, but torture. He hears that goku has achieved new heights of power, defeating the legendary majin buu. All he needs to do is humiliate and kill Goku and he will be back to his position of "strongest being in the universe" and the emperor.
He trains, achieves unimaginable level of power. Yet, even that is not enough. He uses his secret power (golden form) and humiliates Goku, FINALLY letting go of his frustration. After his frustration is over, he realizes that Goku has outlasted him. His lackey sorbet saves him from another defeat. But that's not it, Beerus has become friends with those scumbags!! And even Vegeta has acvieved power which rivals gods.
Vegeta the defeats him and crushes him like a bug. In a desperate attempt, Freeza blows up earth.
Yet, whis time manipulates and lets Goku kill him.

Now, back in hell, Freeza, finally getting over his frustration of Goku humiliating him, is hell-bent on besting him in combat. He goes through rigorous mental training and achieves new heights of physical and mental power, hoping to get out someday. Yet, the one who comes to him is Goku. He sees this as an opportunity, rather than humiliation, as he finally let go of his frustraion. He realizes that he can get free from his torture in hell, and welcomes this. Back, he realizes that both Goku and vegeta are his equals, and not someone who he can rule by smashing their faces in. He needs to get back to his position of the emperor of the universe, and killing Goku isn't enough for this. Yet, he tries to mess Goku up just for the sake of fun and because of the grudge. But, now, he sees both beerus and whis behind Goku, vegeta with Goku, and if that's not enough, 11 more universes with GoD's, angels and strong warriors.

What should a born emperor try to do? Kill a saiyan who humiliated him years ago, the frustration of which Freeza has overcame and who is not the only obstacle to him, OR try to rule over all 12 uiverses including gods, angels and zeno?
Freeza chooses the second path.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:43 am

apex_pretador wrote:Freeza has always been smart.
Thank you.

I will NEVER understand people thinking bashing Z is cool to defend Super, it's just lame and stupid.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Frieza's plan in Super makes so much sense, it makes Zamasu seem like a complete idiot in comparison.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Frieza's plan in Super makes so much sense, it makes Zamasu seem like a complete idiot in comparison.
You really didn't understand crap about Zamasu did you.