How accurate is the English Dub of Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ItsIonic

How accurate is the English Dub of Super?

Post by ItsIonic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 am

I've seen a lot of people voice their disdain dor the dub. Is there any particular reason? Does it make script changes or add things? Is there a list of inaccuracies that's been compiled anywhere? I'm curious because I'm considering buying the Super BDs so I don't have to rely on CR all the time.

Also, forgive me if a thread like this has already been made or is better suited to be asked somewhere else :)

sintzu
Banned

Re: How accurate is the English Dub of Super?

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:00 am

Overall it's accurate (based on what I've seen). Due to it being translated into another language there are small changes made for it to make sense in English which happens with every dub. If you're looking for a word for word, litiral translation of the Japanese script then not only will you not find it with Super but with any anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 am

It's not a bad dub by any means. Now, I don't really watch it, but I've heard that it's a step down from the Kai dub. From the few episodes that I have seen, I have to agree with that statement. They take a bit more liberties than you would think they would, like adding in extra dumb jokes or completely ruining and changing a certain character (I still can't believe what they did). Overall not as good as Kai or the recent 2 movies, but still a solid dub.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:28 am

ItsIonic wrote:I've seen a lot of people voice their disdain dor the dub. Is there any particular reason? Does it make script changes or add things? Is there a list of inaccuracies that's been compiled anywhere? I'm curious because I'm considering buying the Super BDs so I don't have to rely on CR all the time.
The Blu-ray comes with the original Japanese version as well as an English dub, so there's really no need to watch the dub at all if you're not interested in it.

If you do buy the Blu-rays, you can always turn on the subtitle track for the Japanese dialog and watch that alongside the English dub; this was one of the techniques that opened a lot of eyes when FUNimation started doing bilingual DVD releases back in 2000.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 am

The dub is still pretty good - it conveys most of the information that the Japanese version did, just like the Kai dub, but there are a few added jokes and things that bring it down. What they did to Magetta is probably the worst decision in the dub so far. Still a very good dub, but a few things may irk you.

Like Mike said, the Japanese version is still on these discs if you'd rather pass on the dub. The biggest plus with the home releases is that instead of using the Crunchyroll subtitles, the DVD/BD subs are retranslated by Steve Simmons (who did the subs for DBZ, GT, Kai, and DB through the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai). This means that all the original terms are back in the subs rather than the dub terms that Crunchyroll likes to use (though you do get oddities like Beers instead of Beerus, but that's a valid interpretation of the name if I remember right so it isn't too big a deal IMO).
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:27 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:The dub is still pretty good - it conveys most of the information that the Japanese version did, just like the Kai dub, but there are a few added jokes and things that bring it down. What they did to Magetta is probably the worst decision in the dub so far. Still a very good dub, but a few things may irk you.

Like Mike said, the Japanese version is still on these discs if you'd rather pass on the dub. The biggest plus with the home releases is that instead of using the Crunchyroll subtitles, the DVD/BD subs are retranslated by Steve Simmons (who did the subs for DBZ, GT, Kai, and DB through the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai). This means that all the original terms are back in the subs rather than the dub terms that Crunchyroll likes to use (though you do get oddities like Beers instead of Beerus, but that's a valid interpretation of the name if I remember right so it isn't too big a deal IMO).
I saw clips of the episodes with Magetta in the dub and from what I’ve seen, I have no idea what they were thinking. They actually used text to speech? Is that supposed to be cute?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm

Wait...what did they do to Magetta in the dub? This is the first time I'm hearing this, anyone have a youtube clip or something? LOL

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:10 pm

precita wrote:Wait...what did they do to Magetta in the dub? This is the first time I'm hearing this, anyone have a youtube clip or something? LOL
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIE4Anuths

Just take a look at around 2:55.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 pm

LOL, what? Any more clips? I guess it's a good thing Magetta barely "spoke" in the show, because this is absurd. :lol:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
ItsIonic wrote:I've seen a lot of people voice their disdain dor the dub. Is there any particular reason? Does it make script changes or add things? Is there a list of inaccuracies that's been compiled anywhere? I'm curious because I'm considering buying the Super BDs so I don't have to rely on CR all the time.
The Blu-ray comes with the original Japanese version as well as an English dub, so there's really no need to watch the dub at all if you're not interested in it.

If you do buy the Blu-rays, you can always turn on the subtitle track for the Japanese dialog and watch that alongside the English dub; this was one of the techniques that opened a lot of eyes when FUNimation started doing bilingual DVD releases back in 2000.
The DVD pack of movie's 4, 5, and 6 brought this blessing upon me back in 2003.

I've heard largely good things about the Super dub, but it hasn't felt terribly relevant yet. I'll be interested in seeing how Zamasu is handled.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 pm

ItsIonic wrote:I've seen a lot of people voice their disdain dor the dub. Is there any particular reason?
Is there any dub in existence where people don't voice their disdain? It's annoying, but it is what it is.

I'm always going to much, MUCH prefer dub DB than the sub. I have not watched too much of dubbed Super though, mainly because I hate the majority of this show up until the Black arc, but from the little I've seen, they've taken liberties with the script, which is a GOOD thing.

Magetta only said one thing in the Japanese version, like a Pokemon. I personally preferred it, but I found what they did with him in the dub hilarious. It doesn't change his character in any way, though it does make him feel more mechanical.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Is there any dub in existence where people don't voice their disdain? It's annoying, but it is what it is.
You say this as if to dismiss the 22 year history of ups and downs this franchise has with translation and "reversioning" history from this one company. It's not like there are unfounded criticisms, and unfortunately for Super and its fans, these valid criticisms are once again relevant.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

precita wrote:LOL, what? Any more clips? I guess it's a good thing Magetta barely "spoke" in the show, because this is absurd. :lol:
Well it's a good thing Magetta is barely even a "character" in the show. I don't give single shit about Magetta to even care about what they did, I just find is amusing how now all these people suddenly care about Magetta.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Well it's a good thing Magetta is barely even a "character" in the show. I don't give single shit about Magetta to even care about what they did, I just find is amusing how now all these people suddenly care about Magetta.
It's funny because I didn't even remember what Magetta sounded like in the original, so I didn't notice the change.