What was the point of Frost being evil?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

What was the point of Frost being evil?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:36 pm

I know that it’s late to be asking a question like this on the count of the fact that not only is this infamous twist nearly two years old, but also the fact that [spoiler]Frost has been erased from existence,[/spoiler] but I still feel the need to ask. What exactly did making Frost evil really accomplish from a creative standpoint?

Super has made all kinds of bizarre creative decisions, and the one with Frost as a character is one of them. We already had Freeza knockoffs with Cooler and Chilled. Why exactly did the franchise need another one? It by no means made Frost a more interesting character, it just made him another Freeza wannabe. So what was the point, especially immediately after Ressurection F?

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Re: What was the point of Frost being evil?

Post by Majin Jator » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:05 pm

If was just a "twist". He was presented as a "good" Freeza, and we accepted it because the "alternate universe = moral opposite doppelganger" trope is common, and cemented by the noble saiyans from U6 mentioned in earlier episodes. Then bam! No way! He's evil too, because Freeza couldn't never be a goody two shoes in any universe.That's it, there wasn't a master plan about how he was going to play in latter arcs, that''s not how Toriyama works usually.

I enjoyed noble Frost at the beginning, but I also like to be surprised. Anyway, as you mentioned, at that point many viewers suffered "Freeza fatigue" after the borefest "Resurrection of F" was, at least I did, and that kinda made the twist less interesting. Not that they could do much with a good Frost anyway, since living in another universe makes him unable to join the cast , and he wasn't strong enought to be considered the new Goku's rival, as Hit was.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

The Return of F movie was good. The anime adaption was bad.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:36 pm

precita wrote:The Return of F movie was good. The anime adaption was bad.

I didn’t really find the movie all that great either!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Cooler and Chilled weren't canon, though. Frost is, unless you're a Super-being-canon nay-sayer. Also the anime isnt over yet. We have no idea how the ToP will end or if we'll see Frost again. They may yet have a bigger agenda for him

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pm

To perpetuate the racist agenda against Frost Demons/Arcosians/whatever. They call them "whiteys" in Universe 6, and a sizeable faction of the population were furious at one being made emperor. The revelation of Frost's corruption bolstered the Conservative party platform, who called a snap election and rode a wave of working class alienation into power. Their far-right candidate immediately passed amendments that set the Freeza Race civil rights' movement back decades, under the guise of "security" of course.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 pm

There was no need for the twist either if they needed him to cheat to get Goku back in. Frieza is known to use dirty techniques to win, so why not have Frost fight dirty too, but he does it for a good reason unlike Frieza? Far more interesting than "lol jk I'm evil too."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:There was no need for the twist either if they needed him to cheat to get Goku back in. Frieza is known to use dirty techniques to win, so why not have Frost fight dirty too, but he does it for a good reason unlike Frieza? Far more interesting than "lol jk I'm evil too."
If they wanted to go the cheating route, they could’ve just established that Frost was perhaps desperate to win the tournament because he needed Champa’s help with his peacekeeping force.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:There was no need for the twist either if they needed him to cheat to get Goku back in. Frieza is known to use dirty techniques to win, so why not have Frost fight dirty too, but he does it for a good reason unlike Frieza? Far more interesting than "lol jk I'm evil too."
If they wanted to go the cheating route, they could’ve just established that Frost was perhaps desperate to win the tournament because he needed Champa’s help with his peacekeeping force.
Exactly. It's not even that unreasonable. I guess they just wanted to hype up Vegeta by making his beatdown of Frost justified. And people say Vegeta got screwed over in that arc...

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:01 am

I believe it was established for little else than to childishly rationalise why someone would cheat in a official proctored event. Using biological agents to incapacitate those who have you on the ropes doesn't sound like the conduct of a righteous person. But rather than explore the dynamics of what might compel someone to use such measures, as another poster mentioned, they decided to take the easy route of having Frost's true colours being nefarious.

Despite the efforts, I still found Frost to be several shades lighter than Freeza. For one, he seems capable of establishing relationships with others and depending on them in important situations like this tournament. Another is his less brazen demeanour in relation to Freeza. The first instinct he had after being outed in the Champa arc wasn't to lash out at those who had humiliated him but to escape. Sure, he eventually came around to the idea of wanting to avenge himself against Vegeta, but it wasn't like the seething hatred and ambition which defined Freeza's pursuit of Goku. Maybe the seemingly more impressionable outlook he displays and the facade of being a good person helped to facilitate a more patient and negotiable attitude than the spoiled prodigal son who got everything he wanted in Freeza.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 am

Lionel wrote:I believe it was established for little else than to childishly rationalise why someone would cheat in a official proctored event. Using biological agents to incapacitate those who have you on the ropes doesn't sound like the conduct of a righteous person. But rather than explore the dynamics of what might compel someone to use such measures, as another poster mentioned, they decided to take the easy route of having Frost's true colours being nefarious.

Despite the efforts, I still found Frost to be several shades lighter than Freeza. For one, he seems capable of establishing relationships with others and depending on them in important situations like this tournament. Another is his less brazen demeanour in relation to Freeza. The first instinct he had after being outed in the Champa arc wasn't to lash out at those who had humiliated him but to escape. Sure, he eventually came around to the idea of wanting to avenge himself against Vegeta, but it wasn't like the seething hatred and ambition which defined Freeza's pursuit of Goku. Maybe the seemingly more impressionable outlook he displays and the facade of being a good person helped to facilitate a more patient and negotiable attitude than the spoiled prodigal son who got everything he wanted in Freeza.
I think the manga did a better job at exploring this, by having Frost simply unable to be bothered with participating in the tournament and simply wanting to get through his matches as quickly and with as relatively little harm as possible so that he can return to his everyday life.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:46 am

To troll the audience.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 am

precita wrote:The Return of F movie was good. The anime adaption was bad.
I think they're both trash. RoF is just pure fanwanking, introduced the worst transformation in the series, revived a character in a shitty way that didn't make him interesting at all (unlike how great he is in ToP), and had zero tension behind it.

In terms of Frost, I don't know why he has to be evil. A good Freeza could have been the real interesting twist, but instead they have to once again have shitty writing decisions.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 am

Freeza is a popular character so they wanted someone exactly like him as soon as possible. There's so much they could've done with him playing both sides instead of showing it right away. Even him being a truly good version had a lot of possibilities.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 am

There was no point. It was bad writing, plain and simple. Hell, even when he started to be somewhat entertaining as a villain they immediately [spoiler]erase him.[/spoiler] So yeah, Frost was a wasted character and I'm pissed about it because he could have been great.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:22 am

Vegeta said he would bring back Universe 6 in case of winning the tournament.

So Frost can comeback, after all

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am

It was one of many times where they just did something because it seemed cool. They had no idea what to do with him after words so he was expendable. I'm kinda pissed about it because they started showing him to be a somewhat competent and entertaining villain and then they [spoiler]erase him[/spoiler] another moment thats their simply to make the show cool. I said it once before, but sometimes it really feels like they make this stuff up on the fly, like a week before the episode airs.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Plot twist: Freeza gets a redemption arc à la Piccolo and Vegeta, and it turns out that U7 was the one with the good doppelganger.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Majin Jator wrote:If was just a "twist". He was presented as a "good" Freeza, and we accepted it because the "alternate universe = moral opposite doppelganger" trope is common, and cemented by the noble saiyans from U6 mentioned in earlier episodes. Then bam! No way! He's evil too, because Freeza couldn't never be a goody two shoes in any universe.That's it, there wasn't a master plan about how he was going to play in latter arcs, that''s not how Toriyama works usually.

I enjoyed noble Frost at the beginning, but I also like to be surprised. Anyway, as you mentioned, at that point many viewers suffered "Freeza fatigue" after the borefest "Resurrection of F" was, at least I did, and that kinda made the twist less interesting. Not that they could do much with a good Frost anyway, since living in another universe makes him unable to join the cast , and he wasn't strong enought to be considered the new Goku's rival, as Hit was.
Pretty much all of this. I think he was mostly just there to provide that double twist and for the most part I think it was good. For me, his poisoning the U7 fighters was the most interesting part of that tournament along with the Goku vs. Hit fight. And it's cool that Frost's evil scheming is different from Frieza's evil scheming. Like most other characters from that arc, he was ultimately wasted to seemingly make universe 7 look that much better by comparison. I'd like for him to have gone further into the ToP as an elusive troll, but alas he had to be wasted to make Frieza look like a god in comparison. I'd like too see more Frost though, and maybe see him redeem himself in place of Frieza. Mostly, I just want him to get stronger and maybe gain his own "golden" form, silver would be dope.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Initially, it was just the swerve the audience when we were expecting to get a "good" Freeza. But then in Episode 107 they manged to use that angle of Frost being really evil and how he started war to profit from them to provide some kind of motivation and incentive for Frost to perform very well in the Tournament Of Power and added that extra incentive to work together with Freeza, as well as add another layer to his character. I brought up in this point when I reviewed the Episode 107:
Super has actually be really consistent with emphasising how much Frost has fallen. We see tidbits of the fallout of Frost's true colours being exposed in Episode 71 and Episode 91 and I'm really happy with how much the episode continued to build on that with Frost bargaining with Champa in the way he did. It makes me more invested in how his subplot with Freeza and the fate of war profiteering and planet selling scheme. This makes the revelation of Frost being the mastermind behind starting wars to profit from, as well as the fall of that grand pyramid scheme, also feel far more significant in the wider scope of the narrative because Frost has more of incentive to fight and survive. And it make Frost even more of a scumbag because he's far more concerned with his war profiteering and planet selling scheme then his is about the fate of his universe given that is was motivate his for the Tournament Of Power. It's those details that I really like about Super because it just adds the unexpected dimension to a character that you didn't think could be layered to begin with.