Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Post by precita » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 pm

We've now seen enough of Caulifa and Kale that we know where they stand in the fandom. For the most part they seem to be the two "breakout" characters of this tournament, similar to what Hit was to the U6 tournament. Even the main antagonist Jiren has not received as much hype from the fandom other than "the guy Goku has to beat."

But what is the general opinion here and in the Japanese fandom? Are Caulifa and Kale popular and well received characters or are they not? It's hard to judge.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:13 pm

I've seen a lot of people make claims that they're universally hated, but from what I've seen it's more like a 50/50 thing where you either love them or you hate them. They're very divisive characters, Caulifla in particular.

I like Caulifla, I'm beginning to like Kale now that she's not just a Broly clone anymore, and it's implied she'll learn to control her Broly form next episode so hopefully all of the clone will be removed from her. But I can see why people dislike them, especially Caulifla since she keeps unlocking transformations like it's nothing. I'd say people calling her a Mary Sue aren't far off. If she was a true Mary Sue then she'd be perfect and able to beat anyone, but she's still rather weak in the grand scheme of things so I'm not sure the title aptly suits her.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:23 pm

I know they're popular on tumblr because a lot of people ship them together. I feel like their reception there is more positive. It's mixed on Kanzenshuu as far as I can tell. Mixed on Twitter too.

I'm neutral leaning positive on the two of them. I like them way more than Cabba and Uub, but they're not going to usurp my favorites of Gokû and Vegeta anytime soon.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:35 pm

They seem to be fairly popular but quite controversial in the fanbase, especially Caulifla. As for myself, I prefer Caulifla to Kale at the moment, but I'm more than likely going to like Kale more by the time this saga ends.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:49 pm

The controversy around them comes from Toei trying to force them on to fans and ignoring other characters.

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:The controversy around them comes from Toei trying to force them on to fans and ignoring other characters.
Got it.

They giving them waaay to much spotlight for some reason.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:54 pm

amuroray wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:The controversy around them comes from Toei trying to force them on to fans and ignoring other characters.
Got it.

Even then, not really? I do think the next two episodes focus on them and I feel three (113 included) is too much but at most from what I remember they had appearances in other episodes but not really forced on us or so I believe. But yeah as one user pointed out, popular but controversial but I'm also seeing an increase in liking them by others. Even I am starting to like them more and I disliked them from the beginning.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:00 pm

amuroray wrote:
Got it.

Ehh... Kinda but not really? The last time they did anything were episodes 100 and 101 which were 12/13 episodes ago. They've barely been in any episodes for more than 30 seconds since then until this episode.

3 episodes in a row to focus on them does seem like a bit much though.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I like them just fine but I definitely think 3 episodes in a row is too much. I think it creates fatigue especially when you are waiting to see other characters too.

Obviously it’s not going to seem that much when you can marathon the episodes but when you are watching week to week it’s a lot.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 pm

They've become notorious for their ability to skip decades of training by getting tingly.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 pm

I think when it comes to Caulifa and Kale, the Internet itself is indeed a mixed bag of responses, but the internet is not the Be-All-End-All of what overall fandoms likes or dislikes.

When it comes to negatives they have been their is Mass against the Girls in both YouTube, Videos and comments but usually the negative side is not as big as they make themselves to seem, just more regular in their vocalness about the Girls. It is ok for Kale and Caulifa to not be everyone cup of Tea, it strange when it seem many on the net make it none stop about disliking them.

While their is not much research yet on it, but what I have heard and beat to believe, Kale and Caulifa and I will throw in their as well; Ribrianne, Jiren, Toppo and other new characters have likely had more of a positive response in the General Public of DB Fandom outside of the net and likely and have heard just abit to they are likely more popular in Japan with the Japaneses Fandom then with Western Fans.

If characters are at least decently good to popular with the general buying public of fans and Japaneses fandom then they have a good future to them.

An Added Note:

As for ME, I have come to Like Caulifa and Kale more as a Fan the more I see them, Mainly Kale! I like their arc and personality and really don't care much for the power scaling or controversy behind it. I have Generally Gravitated to more of the New Characters and Universes of the ToP arc and found myself routing for the New Characters more then the classic ones. So I say I am a Fan of Caulifa and Kale, Mostly Kale the most and hope they have a bright and long future in the DB Mythos! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:44 pm

I like them. I've been shipping them since before it was clear that Kale has a crush on Caulifla. The seething hatred a lot of people seem to have for them only makes me like them more.

Oh, and people still getting bent out of shape about Caulifla's very crude description of her chi flooding to a meridian in her lower back while transforming makes my sides tingle.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:52 pm

They are the very definition of what super is. Polarizing.

I do get the hate they receive but i don't get the amount of it; i mean, a lot of db fans seem to see them as "the ones that made super saiyan transformations look like a joke" as if they were the worst offenders and even first in some cases, to the point where i had started to wonder whether people had forgotten about certain characters existence...................

Personally i like Caulifla. For some reason she's like a female Goku to me, but less naive/charming and more bossy but in a familiar way.

And about Kale, well before i was like "eh, at least she's bit different than Broly" but now i'm starting to like her. Mainly because as time goes on she's starting to be her own character and gaining confidence.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Just curious, what characters do people feel Caulifa/Kale are taking away from? Most of U6 were fodder in this tournament, even Hit himself didn't do much outside two battles, so it doesn't seem like the writers ever had any plans for the rest of them this time around.

And then everyone else? Outside of Jiren and Toppo/Dyspo, the rest of the Pride Troopers were meant to fall like dominos, and every other universe is filled with fodder. The only exception is possibly Ribrianne since they seem to be keeping her around for a reason...and a lot of people don't like her either. :P

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 pm

precita wrote:Just curious, what characters do people feel Caulifa/Kale are taking away from? Most of U6 were fodder in this tournament, even Hit himself didn't do much outside two battles, so it doesn't seem like the writers ever had any plans for the rest of them this time around.

And then everyone else? Outside of Jiren and Toppo/Dyspo, the rest of the Pride Troopers were meant to fall like dominos, and every other universe is filled with fodder. The only exception is possibly Ribrianne since they seem to be keeping her around for a reason...and a lot of people don't like her either. :P
The next 3 episodes could have been used for anyone.

These 2 would have had 5 episodes focused on them by episode 115 and only Goku from Universe 7 would have had that many as well.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:24 pm

precita wrote:Just curious, what characters do people feel Caulifa/Kale are taking away from? Most of U6 were fodder in this tournament, even Hit himself didn't do much outside two battles, so it doesn't seem like the writers ever had any plans for the rest of them this time around.

It's not that they're stealing time from anothers, it's just that I don't feel it's fair that they can get 5 episodes, but characters like Piccolo,Tien, and even Toppo can barely get one. There are other universes in this tournament too, and I would much rather see an episode dedicated to Zirloin,the Tuffle, or Universe 3 than 3 consecutive episodes of Caulifla & Kale. Because honestly, 113 was the worst episode in the arc for me. The Sniper episode and Rebrianne episode are also bad, but at least they had humour to make it in enjoyable. 113 was just plain boring.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Asura wrote:I've seen a lot of people make claims that they're universally hated, but from what I've seen it's more like a 50/50 thing where you either love them or you hate them. They're very divisive characters, Caulifla in particular.

I like Caulifla, I'm beginning to like Kale now that she's not just a Broly clone anymore, and it's implied she'll learn to control her Broly form next episode so hopefully all of the clone will be removed from her. But I can see why people dislike them, especially Caulifla since she keeps unlocking transformations like it's nothing. I'd say people calling her a Mary Sue aren't far off. If she was a true Mary Sue then she'd be perfect and able to beat anyone, but she's still rather weak in the grand scheme of things so I'm not sure the title aptly suits her.
Jigurashi wrote:They seem to be fairly popular but quite controversial in the fanbase, especially Caulifla. As for myself, I prefer Caulifla to Kale at the moment, but I'm more than likely going to like Kale more by the time this saga ends.
Similar sentiments here aswell, she didn't scream, "Son Goku" this episode so it is already a big improvement. DBS has struggled with homages so #100 being a "disaster" was not surprising I still enjoyed the episode because I knew what was exactly gonna happen but as a homage to Broly it was pretty bad and lacked any sort of subtle-y but hopefully now Toei have got that out their system and next episode will hopefully handle Kale a lot better. She already seems to have dropped the "jealous" angle is more focused on proving herself to Cauli so steady but surely we're getting there.

SuperHumanGod

Post by SuperHumanGod » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:46 pm

I've grown to like Cabba to a degree, but despise caulifa. I lose all interest when she's on screen, completely zoning out. She just has no appeal and bores me. I'm indifferent to kale, but lean on disinterest.
Jiren best new DBS character. Its done.
Fuck those awful U6 saiyans and their tingles too.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 pm

I was never a fan of Broly but I do like Kale. On her own she is a more sympathetic character to me. And I
Like her friendship with Caulifla.

As I said many times I am not the biggest fan of the “Broly character design” so I didn’t like that being used for Kale but I have rethought it some and it is kind of novel seeing it on a female character. Female characters rarely get range in body types after all.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Let's talk about Caulifla first.While I find the reason Caulifla turned SS/SS2 stupid, I understand the reason behind of this.The time in between the recruitment and the actual ToP is very very short.If we had like a month before the tournament even started,then it would make a lot more sense for Caulifla to turn into an SS(possibly with a better motivation).I am waiting for the manga to see how it will excecute her and if the same problem is present in there too,then all the fault goes to Toriyama and his absolute vague plotlines.That being said,I absolutely love her personality and I love every moment of her.

Now Kale.Kale's sole reason of existence is to be a Broly homage.Like you said,people love Broly.I don't.However he's been shoved into my DB ideal world so many times,I kinda find him necessary to somehow exist in the canon timeline.Kale is a Broly with a much better motivation and backstory imo,with her being a timid and shy girl who looks up to her best friend,Caulifla.When she saw that Caulifla was being overly familiar with Cabba and Goku,she became jealous,she thought she was losing her best friend,the only person she had.This is a psychological state present in the real world as well.However,with her power and inner potential exploding like never before,she was acknowledged by the likes of Goku and Jiren(he actually stepped in to stop her rampage)her confidence started to grow.Caulifla now knows that her little protegee is now growing up to stand on her own.The confidence others put on her is what fueled her own confidence.She's being developed from a crying baby to a person that can take things into her own hands.Her SS Berserk form may be a shameless copy of Broly,but what happens before and after this form is vastly differrent.She's not a female Broly,she's Kale.

The dynamic this duo brings to the table is one of my favourite things Super introduced.A cocky and arrogant girl accompanied with a timid and somewhat depressed and problematic girl.Both of them need each other to develop even further,and I think we'll get that in the near future.I just hope the manga(my preferred version of Super)will excecute them better,and get rid of the problems the anime had.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'