Future Trunks and Kamen Rider Black

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

Future Trunks and Kamen Rider Black

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:22 pm

From the recent interview of Toriyama and Toyotaro it was said that Goku Black was inspired by the fake version of heroes such as Ultra Man and Kamen Rider but from the translation of highlights by Herms I took interest that Kamen Rider Black was mentioned. Light bulbs started to turn on in my head because I started connecting similarities from what I can remember from my viewing of Kamen Rider Black. I'm not saying that the Future Trunks arc and Kamen Rider Black had a 1:1 story because that is not true but I couldn't help feel certain aspects of Kamen Rider Black were used as inspiration. I'm not going to go into RX because I have yet to see it.

Kamen Rider Black is the eighth installment of the Kamen Rider series and began airing in 1987 to 1988. To paraphrase a summary of the show; step brothers Kotaro Minami (Kamen Rider Black) and Nobuhiko Akizuki (Shadow Moon) are kidnapped by the cult Golgom to undergo surgery in order to become candidates as the next Golgom King of Creation and are destined to fight each other for that role. Kotaro escapes before being brainwashed and his memory erased but unfortunately the same cannot be said for Nobuhiko.

This is what Kamen Rider Black and Shadow Moon look like, similar right? Much like how similar looking Goku and Goku Black are.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The beginning of Kamen Rider Black opens up much like the Future Trunks arc. Both Kotaro and Trunks are running away from a threat, both their parent tell them to run and eventually die. Both characters having to leave behind people important to them (Trunks - Mai , Kotaro - Nobuhiko)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Our hero is much like Future Trunks in their respective contexts of having to fight for humanity despite the weight
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Golgom also has their own zero mortals plan though much more akin to Devilman and the demons. I also thought their manner of speaking about humanity was similar to Zamasu.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Shadow Moon fights with a blade called the Satan Sabre which can shoot out blasts...much like the blade of a character we know
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

When Shadow Moon became weakened with fighting Kamen Rider Black the Creation King zapped Shadow Moon with lightning to give him more power and that reminded me of Zamasu's whole light of justice shtick.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I want to include Kamen Rider Black using the Satan Sabre to defeat the Creation King because Trunks used his sword to defeat Zamasu but at the same time I don't want to but I'll show you what it looks like because its bad ass.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I could be making connections that aren't really there and I want to clarify I'm not saying, "OH YEAH THIS MUST BE!" but I could see it considering both shows are produced by Toei and Black is a highly regarded series among the Kamen Rider shows. What do you think?