Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 pm

NOTE:
There's nothing more tragic than watching an episode without the necessary subtitles: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Call 1-800-Kanzenshuu-Forum-Rules for all your conversational needs.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 114, aired 5 November 2017

鬼気せまる!新たな超戦士の爆誕!!
Kiki-semaru! Aratana Chō-Senshi no Bakutan!!
Ghastly! Explosive Birth of a New Super Warrior

Summary:
Kale powers up into her berserk state once again, causing Vegeta and Toppo to sense her tremendous energy. Toppo says that Saiyans cannot be underestimated, and Vegeta insists that he’s the best of the Saiyans. Caulifla rushes up to congratulate Kale, but Kale attacks her in an unreasoning rage. Undeterred, Caulifla says that the two of them together can defeat Goku, calling Kale her precious protégé and best friend. All this causes Kale to regain her senses, and transform back into her controlled Super Saiyan state. Not only does Kale have her power fully under control now, but it’s increased even further.

Goku shakes from seeing Kale’s new state; he can tell he’d better take this seriously. Caulifla and Kale team up against Super Saiyan 2 Goku, who has a hard time against their combined attacks. Meanwhile, the U3 warrior Katopesla challenges Freeza, but he is soon thrown aside as Goku and Kale crash through. Caulifla catches up, and recognizes Freeza as the one who ringed out Cabba and moves to attack him. Though annoyed at the interruption, Freeza is happy to take on Caulifla and Kale. Goku insists that Freeza stay out of it; he was fighting them first, after all. Ultimately Freeza agrees to simply enjoy the spectacle of Saiyans beating each other.

Katopesla returns to confront Freeza, using his Robot Suit to change into Speed Mode, which makes him 300 times faster. He challenges Freeza to follow him and runs off, but Freeza ignores him and remains to watch Goku’s fight. While Goku isn’t confident he can handle Caulifla and Kale, he’s eager to give the fight all he’s got. As the battle recommences, Kale and Caulifla’s blasts create a veil of smoke, but Goku senses Kale’s ki and rushes in to attack her. This however is all a part of their plan: Kale grabs Goku’s arm and holds in in place so that Caulifla can start pummeling him.

Eventually Goku breaks free and teleports away, but Caulifla sees through this and aims a blast at him right as he materializes. Seeing this technique will no longer be of use, Goku transforms into Super Saiyan God. On the sidelines, Shin is surprised Goku can pull off this transformation despite not yet fully recovering his stamina, but Kuririn says that’s just the way Goku is: always surpassing their expectations. Goku starts firing blasts from his fingertips off at Kale and Caulifla, but they dodge these and move in to attack him up close.

Goku fends them off and is even unharmed by Kale’s close-range ki blast, so they both blast him simultaneously. Even this though Goku easily counters with two ki blasts of his own, which he even manipulates from afar to ensure it tracks down its target. After much struggling, Kale manages to repel the blast aimed at her, but Caulifla is eventually caught by Goku’s homing blast. As Kale rushes to help the injured Caulifla, Goku tells them they did well and that they should fight again sometime after the tournament.

Caulifla refuses to give up, and tells Kale to bring out “that thing” they were given before the tournament. Goku fires a Kamehameha, causing the edge of the arena Kale and Caulifla are standing on to crumble and fall off. But as that piece falls away, there’s a strange flash, and a single figure leaps back into the arena. This new fighter sports a suspiciously familiar-looking pair of earrings, and introduces herself as the combination of Kale and Caulifla…Kafla!

It turns out that Champa had earlier entrusted the two of them with a pair of Potara he borrowed from Universe 6’s Kaioshin, telling them to only use it as a last resort. Now the time has finally come for their ace-in-the-hole! Vados explains that merging with the Potara increases the users’ power tens of times over, and as Kafla powers up Goku can’t sense a limit to her power. Even Vegeta is distracted enough by this tremendous new power that Toppo manages to get a good hit in on him, and Freeza (still watching from above) thinks this will be a good fight. Kafla is eager to test out her new power, and starts easily knocking Goku around.

21 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Super Episode 114 (5 November 2017)

Post by Torturephile » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:45 pm

I'll say it right away: this episode renders the previous one almost completely useless and unnecessary. I find that everything it did it did better than the last one, and it was still mostly just Goku vs. Caulifla and Kale.

-I usually don't comment about art and animation, but this episode blew me away with the shading (and art). Usually Super relies on very simplistic and flat shading, but this time they managed to make the show much more grittier that it even resembled Z at some points, perhaps even surpassing it. I wish the show looked like it did this episode since its beginning. There was also more fight choreography (movement) than in the previous episode, which mainly relied on repeated frames in front of scrolling background. Kale's transformation sequence at the beginning made last episode's look like garbage in comparison.

-I'm beginning to "get" Kale and Caulifla. Both as individual characters sting my patience and I wish them away for a while, but together they shine. Their comradery, particularly in battle, brings back good memories of Goku Black and Zamasu.

-Vegeta vs. Toppo needs far more focus than it gets. Simply showing up in a few scenes without much happening isn't going to please the audience, myself included. Gohan and Piccolo vs. Saonel and Pinila didn't even make a cameo at all. At least Freeza showed up. Hopefully what we see in the next episode preview isn't all their scenes.

-Am I hearing new music again? I like it.

-Kafla's hair is inconsistent. Sometimes it's longer and messier like Caulifla's, sometimes more normal like Kale's.

-Krillin is still Goku's biggest cheerleader.

-I found the guy wanting to face Freeza (Catopesra of U3) to be funny.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Pretty great episode for what was just a fighting episode. Kale and Caulifa had some nice team up attacks and I loved how Goku was fighting them with finger beams and making the energy bomb follow Caulifa.

The Freeza and superhero guy bits were pretty funny too.

Animation looked weirdly good in this episode.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Yuya Takahashi is incredible!! :mrgreen: That character art! Actual noses! Angular lines! It was beautiful to look at from start to finish!
Bonus points for the episode having ssjg Goku content!

Please return again someday, Yuya Takahashi. You are a hero!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:52 pm

The fight turned out as expected with Goku beating them and forcing them to fuse. He actually tried to knock them out which was good.

Frieza is waiting to make his move which I think will be at the end of the next episode.

Not a lot happening in the Toppo and Vegeta fight.

Next week we have Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina which shouod be good.

17 and 18 finally return and they are 2 vs 1 Catospera which probably means he is in trouble.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Yuya Takahashi is the goat. Loved the episode. Goku continues to be on fire. While still recovering, Taiyoken, smug SSG, Reigun, a successful Sokidan, ki blasts from the feet, and I lol'd when he threw Kale to the ground. Goku's a beast. I'm also really liking Kale more and more.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:53 pm

I called them already having the Potara! It was super obvious! Also yes. The Broly homage is overrrrrrrr. They got #100 out their system and we have moved on! Goku and Freeza are still a joy to watch this arc, especially Freeza "I will ignore that" :lol: dude his hilarious. Also this just proves how smart, resourceful and a great fighter Goku is, he is so cool! A freakin energy blast from his foot! How often do we see that!

Also Daisuki is still 1080p yay! :D

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:53 pm

That was a really good episode. This was significantly better than last weeks episode in pretty much every way. I think that this is the best episode we've gotten since Episode 110.

First of all, can we just talk about the art in this episode? Yuya Takahashi, good god, this man is an absolute god and blessed Super as a series. His artwork is magnificent and made me realise that I miss the art from Z more than I thought. Everything from the shading to the pointy noses to that fucking badass Kale scene at the beginning of the episode gave me the biggest smile in a while.

The action was a lot of fun. They did a really good job with showing off Kale and Caulifla's team work. Goku pulling out Super Saiyan God was really cool. I'm totally down for this Potara fusion and I'm excited to see what happens next.

They (FINALLY) used my favourite track from Kai 2014 and, while it was an appropriate scene to use it for, I would have preferred if they had saved that track for a bigger moment. It was still a really nice scene.

Overall, I'm really happy with this episode and I'll definitely watch it a few more times.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Well, my avatar has suddenly gotten relevant. I wonder how long it's gonna stay that way (probably just until next episode, then 17 handles him).
This episode had some of the best art I've seen in Dragon Ball. Not in Super; in Dragon Ball. Amazing.
It's a shame I don't have such positive comments for the episode's plot. It definitely wouldn't have hurt the story if this and 113 were condensed and combined into one episode. There's reasons for why it ended up like this, I'm sure, but I'm talking from a narrative standpoint. Also, convenient earrings are convenient, though they wrote themselves into a corner with that one. There was no way to have the fusion happen without it being weird, due to lack of foreshadowing. A cryptic flashback or scene before the tournament would've been enough. Edit for clarity: What I mean is that the one flashback scene we got after the fusion was completed is too little too late.
I'll keep my full review on my own place, so in short: Alright/good episode.
Last edited by Alruneia on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Nice art and animation like we all expected. The beginning and SSG moments were particularly great.

So the Toei subs went with Kefla rather than Kafla, that's pretty strange. You would thing Ka(le) and (Cauli)fla would make Kafla, but Toei doesn't seem to think so.

The potara revelation was alright. They could have done something stupid like having the Kaioshin throw them into the stage, but it turns out they were saving them for a last resort. No harm done as far as I'm concerned.

Freeza and the police guy were pretty funny too. I like how he powered up and told Freeza to follow him, and Freeza just stood there, ignoring him.

Overall a pretty well made episode, better than last week. Next week looks whatever in the animation aspect, but we'll see.

RIP Vegeta
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm

That U3 guy was the perfect comedy relief :lol: :lol: :lol:

That being said, wow, the art in this episode was impressive. :clap:

We need more Vegeta vs Toppo pls.

Kafla's enjoying herself... much like Vegetto. SS3 tho?

Ah, I saw those Androids and Namekians in the NEP :3

Goku taking a risk using Kaioken again though...

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Good episode, superb art, but man, why can't Super make even a little bit of sense? I wouldn't really mind if base Kafla was beating SSJ3 Goku, but God is completely nonsensical. Goku God is supposedly stronger than pre-BoG Vegetto, so a fusion of some weakass Saiyans who barely got SSJ2 shouldn't be beating God.

And that's because I don't care much for power levels! The guys at the power level thread must be going crazy!!!
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Did not expect that episode to be so good, goddamn this was one of my favs of the series

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Sandubadear wrote:Good episode, superb art, but man, why can't Super make even a little bit of sense? I wouldn't really mind if base Kafla was beating SSJ3 Goku, but God is completely nonsensical. Goku God is supposedly stronger than pre-BoG Vegetto, so a fusion of some weakass Saiyans who barely got SSJ2 shouldn't be beating God.

And that's because I don't care much for power levels! The guys at the power level thread must be going crazy!!!
This is true. I don't care much for power levels either, but man, them all of a sudden being god-level... that's just Super for us, isn't it? I mean, then how powerful normal state Vegetto be in comparison to SSG and how strong would an SS3 Vegetto (SS3 Goku + SS2 Vegeta that was stronger than SS3 against Beerus) be, assuming there's an SS3 Kafla?
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 pm

If you'll excuse me, I need to go change my pants from that artwork.

Also, I think it's a bit annoying that they're spending three entire episodes on this Goku and Caulifla/Kale fight, and have barely even shown ANY of the Vegeta and Toppo fight, which I quite frankly think deserves just as much if not more of a focus.
Last edited by Artorias on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 pm

Artorias wrote:If anything, this episode proves that it's impossible to make Caulifla and Kale interesting. It was written by Toshio, Super's best writer, and even HE couldn't do anything with their characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my pants from that artwork.
I disagree. The episode shows that Kale and Caulifla play off each-other fantastically, from a character and personality standpoint.
Feels over Reals.

chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

The animation quality was noticeably better in certain parts which is always nice. As for Kefla in base form manhandling Super Saiyan god. I did not like that, nor did I like the fact they said Kefla is TEN times stronger from the Porta ear rings.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:13 pm

I've never 'Daaaawed' this much at fiction before... Someone check my pulse, I think I might have grown a heart in that black hole part of my chest.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:13 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Artorias wrote:If anything, this episode proves that it's impossible to make Caulifla and Kale interesting. It was written by Toshio, Super's best writer, and even HE couldn't do anything with their characters.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go change my pants from that artwork.
I disagree. The episode shows that Kale and Caulifla play off each-other fantastically, from a character and personality standpoint.
I mean, hey I can't stop you from thinking that way. I think they're dreadful characters in every way, and find it impossible to be even slightly invested when they're on screen alone.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Here is hoping Super can reach ten good episodes in a row. It would have been there by now if it wasn't for 106.

IT WAS GOOD. I was afraid of this episode and the one before it being a repeat of 100 but I have to give credit where credit is due and that was not the case. Good job!

As you can tell by my username I'm a fan of Kamen Rider so of course seeing Katopesla was amazing for me and I thought his comedic relief was perfect in relation to Freeza's character. Can't wait to see him fight Android 17.

Not much to say, much like with last week's episode, entertaining fight - much better too.

Going kaio ken again Goku? YAMEROOOOOOOOOOOOOO