Isn't it time for a new opening ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Isn't it time for a new opening ?

Post by Lapislettuce » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm

I feel like the current opening is not that relevant to the current events anymore. it would be great if dbs was like other anime where they change openings pretty often so we would have some foreshadowing sequences to discuss.

GohanRogers

Re: Isn't it time for a new opening ?

Post by GohanRogers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 pm

I think the opening is fine, they should just replace base Goku vs Jiren in the beginning of the OP for Ultra Instinct Goku.

I always thought it was very strange how they portrayed Goku fighting in base against the "big bad" of the saga, even if it was for foreshadowing purposes.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Dragon Ball never changed its opening often. That's part of what made it so distinct.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:26 pm

We had the first opening for 76 episodes. Limit Break x Survivor is good to stick around for a long time coming.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Although the actual song and basic gist should stay the same for awhile, at least for the current arc's run, I do think that they should update some of the visuals.

Buu got replaced with Freeza, so maybe Goku's base form fights with Jiren could be replaced with the Ultra Instinct version, and his power-up sequence goes from SSB to SSB/Kaio-ken to Ultra Instinct instead of SS to SSB to base form.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Hell no, Limit Break x Survivor is one of the best openings in the entire franchise.

It can be updated with UI Goku, sure, but otherwise it's fine.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 pm

-They don't have time and are funneling resources into later episode content instead.
-They don't want to spoiler the rest of the arc.
-Part of the purpose of the opening was to get stock footage to use later. They may be at the point where they don't need it as badly.

My thoughts anyway.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am

Absolutely not. The current opening theme fits the tone of the arc perfectly.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 am

Considering we are still on the ToP arc, I think the opening is fine, though I do agree that it would be great if dbs had various openings with different themes like other anime, the same way they constantly change the ending.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 am

What do you mean not relevant. The ToP is still going on...?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:22 am

No, not at all. The opening fits perfectly for now, no point in changing until the next Arc.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 am

It's a fantastic intro, I am absolutely down with sticking with it as long as possible. Could do with some updated visuals like what Chouzetsu Dynamic did per arc. Feels weird to see Goku still punching out Bergamo every week when Bergamo is currently dust to the cosmic wind.

That said, if we get another arc of slice of life/"filler" content after this arc like with Future Trunks, would people be fine with temporarily going back to Chouzetsu? It suits that type of material far more than Limit Break x Survivor.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Kataphrut wrote:It's a fantastic intro, I am absolutely down with sticking with it as long as possible. Could do with some updated visuals like what Chouzetsu Dynamic did per arc. Feels weird to see Goku still punching out Bergamo every week when Bergamo is currently dust to the cosmic wind.

That said, if we get another arc of slice of life/"filler" content after this arc like with Future Trunks, would people be fine with temporarily going back to Chouzetsu? It suits that type of material far more than Limit Break x Survivor.
I really like the intro but maybe they could change the visuals. But, they are spending more time on writing and animating the episodes. I agree with you about bring back the old intro for filler/ in between episodes.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 pm

No. This theme is perfectly fine. I don’t usually watch openings, but this one is legit.
How i predict the tournament will end:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm

We'll most likely get a new one after episode 133 as that's when the tournament will end and there'll be no reason to keep it for something completely different.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 pm

sintzu wrote:We'll most likely get a new one after episode 133 as that's when the tournament will end and there'll be no reason to keep it for something completely different.
Well, it's possible that the current arc could transition directly into the next one (lets say ep. 133 is the TOP finale with angels revealing some grand scheme betrayal whatever), then I could see them keeping the same opening and just changing some stuff. If the next arc doesn't 'grow out' of the current one in a major way though then yeah, they need to change it. Current OP is too specific to the TOP arc.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 am

Kataphrut wrote:It's a fantastic intro, I am absolutely down with sticking with it as long as possible. Could do with some updated visuals like what Chouzetsu Dynamic did per arc. Feels weird to see Goku still punching out Bergamo every week when Bergamo is currently dust to the cosmic wind.

I never liked Chouzetsu, I'd rather them just go with a third opening.