Dragon Ball Super's writing - a thought experiment

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super's writing - a thought experiment

Post by Shuby » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:31 am

Boo Machine wrote:Super hasn't done anything nearly as silly as your scenario. Not even close to it.

Yes it would be weird. Because raditz, even way back at the start of Z, was a worse fighter than either Goku or Piccolo. The only reason he dominated then was because his number was bigger and that's it. If Raditz came back NOW and was still no better than he was prior only to fight Blue Goku and hold his own, then THAT would actual break this Precious power scale some of you cling to like some kind of security blanket. That is the over the top situation that people make up to throw against super but hasn't actually happened yet.

Future Trunks get curbstomped by base black, do no training, then proceed to tack on SSJR Black
#17 do God knows what being a park ranger, punching poachers and now he's God tier
Krillin bought some gym weights and so is strong enough to give Gohan trouble
It now turns out Beerus must've used 0.1% of his power when fighting SSJG Goku
In these cases, 17 is probably the only one you have any kind of point with, because they don't say what he did very well. Even then off screen training is still an explanation. A cheap one, but they didn't make 17 the exact same as he was prior only to fight Goku now like with your Raditz scenario. And it's no cheaper than the Hyperbolic time chamber. "Hey remember when the time chamber totally always existed and no one brought it up until now?"

Future Trunks didn't just do no training then tackled Black. He did training with Vegeta (yes it counts) then He got one kick in. Then stopped fighting Black. Rage is dumb, but again, that's the reasonsing for how he does later. But that transformation not being explained is the only slight against it.

Krillin gives Gohan trouble because Gohan didn't take Krillin seriously and he used his skills and wit to, not beat him up, but knock him out of bounds. That was the entire point of that showing. To show how arrogant Gohan was being and how Krillin isn't just some push over like everyone thinks he is. You act like he completely smoked a full power Gohan.

Yeah. Beerus was holding back when he fought Goku. He admits this. Whis admits this. I don't know how much more they can spell it out for you.

They tell you this stuff. It's not concrete numbers and formulas but they do give reasoning. Whether you accept those reasonings is a different matter entirely. Its not the shows fault if you don't though.

Z is better. I agree. But don't pretend that the show didn't weasel it's way out of explaining bullshit to us. Bullshit that if it happened today, you'd be pissed, judging from your points.

Some of my personal favorites.

Why does absorbing 17 and 18 make Cell so much more powerful than any other character to the point that Vegeta, who was toying with his second form, is unable to even damage Cell without his most powerful attack?

- How did a human scientist create multiple beings in a lab that were more powerful than Super Saiyans, despite not having data on what a Super Saiyan even was?

- How do Goku and Vegeta become Super Saiyan 2?

-How does Gotenks become Super Saiyan 3?

- Why does Gohan's potential keep changing to match the needs of the arc?

- Why did Supreme Kai not even know what a Potara earring was?

- How does Majin Buu's absorption work, exactly? Both the mechanics behind it and why Gohan and SSJ3 Gotenks couldn't just blast the goo off themselves

- How did Ultimate Gohan fail to catch a Potara earring thrown by Goku when SSJ1 Gohan was catching point blank machine gun fire earlier in the arc?

- How does a Zenkai determine how much power someone gets? Why are some minuscule and some gigantic?

-Why was Cell able to regenerate a new head after Goku blew his head off if he needs the cells in his head to regenerate?

And no. I'm not "Shitting on the original to make Super look better". I don't care which looks better. You can like GT best for all I care. It's got merits. I do care when people pretend one or the other is something it isn't and am being honest with how dumb and silly either series can be.
First of all no one said Z was perfect, if you find someone please let me know, second of all
Z has It's stupid moments, where in Super it's far more prevalent and egregious, which is why it bothered me. Hell most of your problems with Z has to do with the Buu arc, which many recognize to be the least well written aspect of Z.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 am

Shuby wrote:The amount of apologists still in the fanbase annoys me, no the writing is not good, no its not all about power-scalling. The world building is terrible they introduce new characters with minimal effort of fleshing them out, we got all the universes and still so far into Super nothing has been done with that.

To give you people an example why the writing is atrocious watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnU55dfRLMY
We are talking about a childrens cartoon here, not denying the holacaust for goodness sake! It's people who take a cartoon meant for children so seriously and make discuasion in this community so toxic that annoy me.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 am

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:
Shuby wrote:The amount of apologists still in the fanbase annoys me, no the writing is not good, no its not all about power-scalling. The world building is terrible they introduce new characters with minimal effort of fleshing them out, we got all the universes and still so far into Super nothing has been done with that.

We are talking about a childrens cartoon here, not denying the holacaust for goodness sake! It's people who take a cartoon meant for children so seriously and make discuasion in this community so toxic that annoy me.
That is one terrible argument, there are so many well written cartoons out there, just because it is a childrens cartoon does not excuse bad writing and all the inconsistencies.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:27 am

The examples you listed arent examples of "bad writing"

And explain how the world building is "terrible"

And whats that video supposed to accomplish by the way?

What makes him an authority on anything?

I'm honestly perplexed on why you linked such an embaressing video. Hes literally crying about an anime. Mostly everything he said was entirely subjective.

If anything, by linking that vid you just proved how the negativity/cynicism around Super is toxic and shuts down healthy discussion. You instantly lable anyone who likes Super an apologist. Thats such a toxic attitude. Thats awful. That guy represents more of that same toxicity

I can post videos too

Here is an introspective with actual objective analysis detailing the opposing ideologies and themes that were on play during episode 128 between Vegeta and Goku vs Jiren. The writing was briliant

https://youtu.be/XnWwc2oHV_Q

^ thats actual analysis and intelligent discussion

Too many people like the guy in the vid you linked simply rant about subjective things and try to appeal to emotion

"This subjective or opinion based thing here is a 'flaw' because I personally didnt like it. Therefore garbage. "

Geekdom has actually done great videos about that. Check those out too.

Call people who like Super apologists all you want. As if theres no possible reason anyone could ever legit like Super. You and the video you linked just further prove how its the opposing side spreading so much toxicity
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 am

Shuby wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote:

That is one terrible argument, there are so many well written cartoons out there, just because it is a childrens cartoon does not excuse bad writing and all the inconsistencies.
Other cartoons such as? Start giving examples, and then detail how they have better writing, and why.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 pm

The Monkey King wrote:No it's much worse
Super's writing is more inconsistent than the DB manga, but most people, especially outside of Japan, got into DB through the anime, which was filled with inconsistencies due to Toei's added scenes. You mention Raditz keeping up with SSB Goku, but the anime had Yamcha and Tenshinhan briefly beating up a Cell Jr. And then after 7 years of not training, he beat Olibu, who could keep up with a fighter that defeated Cell.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Neon Z wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:No it's much worse
Super's writing is more inconsistent than the DB manga, but most people, especially outside of Japan, got into DB through the anime, which was filled with inconsistencies due to Toei's added scenes. You mention Raditz keeping up with SSB Goku, but the anime had Yamcha and Tenshinhan briefly beating up a Cell Jr. And then after 7 years of not training, he beat Olibu, who could keep up with a fighter that defeated Cell.
Well, I always thought Yamcha just said he wasn't taking part in the tournament because he'd "embarrass [himself]", did he actually say he never trained in the 7 years in the manga?

Although, I guess Super capitalizes on that notion anyway. What a shame.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Shuby wrote:
SSJ YUSUKE wrote: We are talking about a childrens cartoon here, not denying the holacaust for goodness sake! It's people who take a cartoon meant for children so seriously and make discuasion in this community so toxic that annoy me.
Other cartoons such as? Start giving examples, and then detail how they have better writing, and why.

Justice League? Batman TAS? Batman Beyond? Jackie Chan Adventures? Samurai Jack? The list goes on and on. It's evident to anybody with a brain cell the level of disparity in writing when compared to Super.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:38 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Shuby wrote:

Justice League? Batman TAS? Batman Beyond? Jackie Chan Adventures? Samurai Jack? The list goes on and on. It's evident to anybody with a brain cell the level of disparity in writing when compared to Super.
I asked him to detail how the writing is better. And why.

Please back up your examples?

I could just as easily say "no Super is better"....This is just becoming an "argument" over opinioin now. I dont want to do that

This is the kind of toxic behavior from the Super detractors that I'm talking about

Instead of actually debating and even trying to acknowledge the good in Super too, you simply say "no, anyone with a brain can see that Super sucks in comparison/is a bad show"

The negativity around Super has become so toxic and shuts down any kind of healthy debate. Why is this allowed, but yet being positive about Super is frowned upon?

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote: Other cartoons such as? Start giving examples, and then detail how they have better writing, and why.

I could just as easily say "no Super is better"....This is just becoming an "argument" over opinioin now. I dont want to do that

This is the kind of toxic behavior from the Super detractors that I'm talking about

Instead of actually debating and even trying to acknowledge the good in Super too, you simply say "no, anyone with a brain can see that Super sucks in comparison/is a bad show"

The negativity around Super has become so toxic and shuts down any kind of healthy debate. Why is this allowed, but yet being positive about Super is frowned upon?
ZenkaiBoosts in every thread i see your replies, you love to put the pressure on people who do not agree with you. There is no need to call his behavior toxic when he never flat out says there is nothing good about super. He is not exactly wrong when it comes to Super's inconsistent writing. Why do you think episodes 106, 119, and 128 we're met with such a negative response? I never heard anyone complain about the story in Batman Beyond or Samurai Jack's writing.

Super's got so many problems all over the place. They would be fixed if the show wasn't as rushed as it currently is. Why should the viewers be glad to see an episode that isn't well scripted and story boarded? In other threads, you loved to go on about how much you loved 128 because of it's dialogue, yet it was the same old shtick Vegeta pulled when fighting Kid Buu and when fighting Toppo. It's the third time being told that he fights for the people he cares about and you're just eating that up. I feel that you are accepting Super's mediocrity instead of encouraging it to be better like we all should be doing instead of whining about it. Sadly our voices will not be heard since Toei doesn't care about how we perceive Dragon ball and focuses on the children that watch it.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 am

Exline wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:

ZenkaiBoosts in every thread i see your replies, you love to put the pressure on people who do not agree with you. There is no need to call his behavior toxic when he never flat out says there is nothing good about super. He is not exactly wrong when it comes to Super's inconsistent writing. Why do you think episodes 106, 119, and 128 we're met with such a negative response? I never heard anyone complain about the story in Batman Beyond or Samurai Jack's writing.

Super's got so many problems all over the place. They would be fixed if the show wasn't as rushed as it currently is. Why should the viewers be glad to see an episode that isn't well scripted and story boarded? In other threads, you loved to go on about how much you loved 128 because of it's dialogue, yet it was the same old shtick Vegeta pulled when fighting Kid Buu and when fighting Toppo. It's the third time being told that he fights for the people he cares about and you're just eating that up. I feel that you are accepting Super's mediocrity instead of encouraging it to be better like we all should be doing instead of whining about it. Sadly our voices will not be heard since Toei doesn't care about how we perceive Dragon ball and focuses on the children that watch it.
Hmm let's see how about HXH? YYh? Those are kids show and widely regarded as good written series. Honestly your argument doesn't make any sense, just because it is a kids show doesnt mean it has to be bad.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:

The examples you listed arent examples of "bad writing"

And explain how the world building is "terrible"

And whats that video supposed to accomplish by the way?

What makes him an authority on anything?

I'm honestly perplexed on why you linked such an embaressing video. Hes literally crying about an anime. Mostly everything he said was entirely subjective.

If anything, by linking that vid you just proved how the negativity/cynicism around Super is toxic and shuts down healthy discussion. You instantly lable anyone who likes Super an apologist. Thats such a toxic attitude. Thats awful. That guy represents more of that same toxicity

I can post videos too

Here is an introspective with actual objective analysis detailing the opposing ideologies and themes that were on play during episode 128 between Vegeta and Goku vs Jiren. The writing was briliant

https://youtu.be/XnWwc2oHV_Q

^ thats actual analysis and intelligent discussion

Too many people like the guy in the vid you linked simply rant about subjective things and try to appeal to emotion

"This subjective or opinion based thing here is a 'flaw' because I personally didnt like it. Therefore garbage. "

Geekdom has actually done great videos about that. Check those out too.

Call people who like Super apologists all you want. As if theres no possible reason anyone could ever legit like Super. You and the video you linked just further prove how its the opposing side spreading so much toxicity
Inconsistent writing is bad writing, i am still amazed people don't see how terribly written Super is.
The world building is terrible because they have introduced to many characters with bare bone personalities, hardly anything has been fleshed out and Super is coming to an end and still so many questions remain.

Guess what you can still like and enjoy super and still find it bad.

The person has a good fan following and thus has some popularity to his opinion.

Actually Geekdom also thinks Super is a 4 or 5 at least... https://twitter.com/MrHailZeon/status/9 ... 4232266752

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Shuby wrote:
Exline wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote: I asked him to detail how the writing is better. And why.

Hmm let's see how about HXH? YYh? Those are kids show and widely regarded as good written series. Honestly your argument doesn't make any sense, just because it is a kids show doesnt mean it has to be bad.
I wasn't stating that Dragon Ball Super is bad cause it is a kids show. I was implying that Toei will never listen to how we feel about the anime here in the U.S., they are only focusing on the children of Japan react to it. Idk how you came to that conclusion after I said nobody was complaining about Batman and Samurai Jack's writing.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:20 am

MajinMan wrote:I like how "good writing" boils down to power scaling. Nothing else matters. It's ALL about power scaling. Screw the overall narrative. Screw the world building. Screw the character motivations and development.
I mean, it would certainly help if Super didn't halfass those things as well.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Muffin Man wrote:
MajinMan wrote:I like how "good writing" boils down to power scaling. Nothing else matters. It's ALL about power scaling. Screw the overall narrative. Screw the world building. Screw the character motivations and development.
Missed the point of my post.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm

MajinMan wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:
Well you missed the point of my post.

Edit: But let me clarify. I think people would be complaining a lot less about powerscaling if the actual narrative had more entertaining things to discuss and speculate about. Most of the show has been movie retellings and tournaments and slice of life gag episodes, which leaves fans with very little to sink their teeth into. I think the Zamasu arc was by far the most exciting thing to happen in the show, and I remember seeing far more meaningful discussion during those ten or so episodes than during all of the rest of Super.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Its anime

power scaling isn't a legitimate mathematical equation

If the episode is great, fun, entertaining etc, then what does it matter if the power scaling was inconsistent?

I will never understand the thought process that somehow "inconsistent power scaling=bad episode or bad show"

Dragon Ball and Z were never loved because they had super crazy analytical mathematical power scaling

But somehow that "criticism" is used to always thrash Super. I dont get it

Dragan Ball and Z had many cases of bad power scaling

Yet Super gets nit picked to death and shitted on for it

I dont get why Super has this toxic cloud of cynicism and negativity always following over it.

Other animes dont get nit picked half to death as bad as Super. Fans of those other animes can actually enjoy what they watch and see the good in it.

Yet some people just refuse to ever see the positives in Super. Some people treat Super as if its a legit "garbage" show and thats just....its crazy to me....Theres no other word for it
It's quite simple. Super's curse is that it was birthed from Dragonball. Fans will now blast it for not living up to the name.
The reasons why Dragonball's power scaling didn't get much criticism is because the entertaining fights would overshadow it.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:56 am

Muffin Man wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:
Well you missed the point of my post.

Edit: But let me clarify. I think people would be complaining a lot less about powerscaling if the actual narrative had more entertaining things to discuss and speculate about. Most of the show has been movie retellings and tournaments and slice of life gag episodes, which leaves fans with very little to sink their teeth into. I think the Zamasu arc was by far the most exciting thing to happen in the show, and I remember seeing far more meaningful discussion during those ten or so episodes than during all of the rest of Super.
I see where you’re coming from, but I’m not really talking about just plain discussion. What I was trying to get at was that people aren’t criticising narrative flaws nearly as much as power scaling. To SOME people (not all), power scaling is pretty much the be all end all, and nothing else matters. There are plenty of people that talk about both, but the ones that solely focus on power scaling and complain about the same things (base form, holding back) can get annoying real quick. Going into discussions and seeing constant debates about why Kefla is too strong or whatever got annoying. It doesn’t happen as much nowadays, but for a while it was really bad.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 am

Miracles wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Its anime

power scaling isn't a legitimate mathematical equation

If the episode is great, fun, entertaining etc, then what does it matter if the power scaling was inconsistent?

I will never understand the thought process that somehow "inconsistent power scaling=bad episode or bad show"

Dragon Ball and Z were never loved because they had super crazy analytical mathematical power scaling

But somehow that "criticism" is used to always thrash Super. I dont get it

Dragan Ball and Z had many cases of bad power scaling

Yet Super gets nit picked to death and shitted on for it

I dont get why Super has this toxic cloud of cynicism and negativity always following over it.

Other animes dont get nit picked half to death as bad as Super. Fans of those other animes can actually enjoy what they watch and see the good in it.

Yet some people just refuse to ever see the positives in Super. Some people treat Super as if its a legit "garbage" show and thats just....its crazy to me....Theres no other word for it
It's quite simple. Super's curse is that it was birthed from Dragonball. Fans will now blast it for not living up to the name.
The reasons why Dragonball's power scaling didn't get much criticism is because the entertaining fights would overshadow it.
Dbz wasn't nearly as bad with power scaling. I think it's laughable to even compare the two. And to be honest, it's not even that big of a deal for me - at least it wouldn't be if everything else wasn't such a mess.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:Dbz wasn't nearly as bad with power scaling. I think it's laughable to even compare the two. And to be honest, it's not even that big of a deal for me - at least it wouldn't be if everything else wasn't such a mess.
Yeah, you're right. The power scaling for DBZ wasn't really bad.