I think MRAs are the reason for the overpowered male characters

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

I think MRAs are the reason for the overpowered male characters

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 am

Now, bear with me here. From the start of the series, there's always been an alarming trend toward having male characters become insanely powerful out of nowhere.

From the start, we have Goku, some twelve-year-old who's been living in the forest, strong enough to take bullets like it's nothing. Like, okay? I'm supposed to believe that? But that's nothing. Pretty quickly we're introduced to an old man, Kame-Sennin, who's renowned as an incredible master despite being so feeble he needs to walk with a cane. We meet Yamcha, a total Gary Stu who's just been hanging around as a punk-thief in the desert and is somehow superhumanly strong. Later on, Goku's kid, a four-year-old boy, is even stronger than his dad when he cries for some reason! We meet Freeza, a male character who's the strongest in the universe by an unfathomably large margin and can even get stronger by thinking really hard in a cocoon.

So Dragon Ball's always had a bit of a bent toward a male agenda. That's something we'll just have to live with. But what do we make of the situation in Super, where the problem has been ramped up to an absurd degree?

We have Cabba, a brand-new male character who's able to go Super Saiyan in just one episode with a little bit of emotional prodding, something the original cast had to work so hard to achieve (except Trunks and Goten, who totally didn't). He manages to do the same thing to get Super Saiyan 2.

Vegeta can get just as powerful through anger as Gohan could all of a sudden. Why? Just because he's a man who needs to protec? Seems a little bunk.

We have characters like Hit and Jiren and Toppo, who come out of nowhere to rival characters in the realm of the highest gods, all men. One's even a fatty! (Is this trying to appeal to the lazy "dad-bod" crowd, or what?) We even meet the rest of the gods of destruction, and there's only a single woman in the bunch of Gary Stus. One of them is a little furball. I'm supposed to believe he can hang in there with everyone else just because he's a man?

It's also worth pointing out that get the entire Universe 6 arc without one female competitor. Doesn't that seem like it might be pushing a certain stance?

So here's what I'm getting at. It's 2016/2017. The reactionary portions of the internet are out in full force.

Is the absurd push of male characters in Dragon Ball Super who are just magically strong part of the MRA agenda? Gentlemen, I think so. When will this absurd trend of overpowered male characters stop?

Who will deliver us from the Toppos and Cabbas?

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I think MRAs are the reason for the overpowered male characters

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am

Are you high?

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 am

An interesting parody. :thumbup:
Well executed.
:clap:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 am

But how can Toppo be reppping the fat dads when his legs are almost feminine compared to the rest of his body?

So did "protec" come from? I've seen it recently and can't place it.

The more interesting can of worms to me is how people react to Cabbe; the girls are a melange of ire at them and ire at their speedy transformations, but Cabbe being the formal super-polite saiyan seems to fall squarely on him.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 am

You see, OP, it's not about MRA. That's what feminists like you want us to think. This is all a ploy by you to avoid the clear SJW, fat pride agenda that Toei and Toriyama HIMSELF are pushing and forcing down our throats. It's all because of that fatass hoe Ribrianne, and the mary sue sisters, Girl Broly and Cuntifla. I want some REAL female characters, ones that are very cute and sexy, and the ones that work around the house. Leave the fighting to men. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am

It saddens me to a degree words cannot possibly express that I am neither clever enough nor courageous enough to write such a startlingly apt post.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

soduh2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by soduh2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:53 am

I get the joke...

:eh:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:56 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:The more interesting can of worms to me is how people react to Cabbe; the girls are a melange of ire at them and ire at their speedy transformations, but Cabbe being the formal super-polite saiyan seems to fall squarely on him.
Well, Vegeta yelling at you once is a legitimate and interesting way to achieve Super Saiyan, while being told about the technique and feeling your way through it is not.

Remember when Vegeta yelled at Gohan on Namek and Gohan went Super Saiyan? Or, wait.

But yes; nearly everything that might be and is regularly thrown at Kale, Caulifla and Ribrianne by the collective id of the internet is replicated nearly perfectly in male characters like Toppo and Cabba, flatteringly slender legs on the former aside.
MajinMan wrote: It's all because of that fatass hoe Ribrianne, and the mary sue sisters, Girl Broly and Cuntifla. I want some REAL female characters, ones that are very cute and sexy, and the ones that work around the house. Leave the fighting to men. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Compelling arguments. Hopefully Super can put that trailblazing feminism down long enough to pull another Videl out of its hat.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm confused
Feels over Reals.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 pm

This thread is a perfect example of why I love this forum.
RedHeat wrote:I'm confused
iAnimationLover_ wrote:Are you high?
This should help.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:25 pm

iAnimationLover_ wrote:Are you high?
If he is, I'll have some of whatever it is he's smoking. :lol:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Never leave this forum Cipher. Posts like these remind me of why you're so great.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 pm

This is what counts as good parody these days...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 pm

OMG Couldnt stop laughing best thread EVER!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Kanassa wrote:This is what counts as good parody these days...
It's a very bad parody, but the bar has indeed been set low.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:OMG Couldnt stop laughing best thread EVER!
Cipher always make the best thread,now this is a good parody of that other thread.Off topic,your avatar is not showing when i look at your profile.
Mostly active on discord.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Cipher wrote:
Kanassa wrote:This is what counts as good parody these days...
It's a very bad parody, but the bar has indeed been set low.
...Touche.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:25 pm

hahahahahaha, man this thread is gold :clap: The guy who made the feminist thread needs to see this.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:hahahahahaha, man this thread is gold :clap: The guy who made the feminist thread needs to see this.
Indeed
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 am

Good way to make fun of another thread, Cipher.
:D
Last edited by Tian on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.