So idk if there has been a thread on this but manga or anime as canon???

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: So idk if there has been a thread on this but manga or anime as canon???

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:08 pm

sintzu wrote:One could just watch the 2 movies then move on to Champa's manga arc with no problems. It happens with other franchises so why not here ? I don't see anyone calling the new star wars game a side thing because it requires previous knowledge of another format (the movies).
The video game analogy doesn't work here, because the new Star Wars game isn't attempting to tell the entire Star Wars story itself beginning to end. It's its own independent side story. Yes, it relies on you knowing Star Wars stuff, but you get Iden Versio's story in its entirety in that one product.

(I don't really know the Star Wars story and just Googled the main character's name in Battlefront II, so go easy on me there.)

The Dragon Ball Super manga actually does in fact start with the "beginning" of the respective series... and then proceeds to skip over material that it assumes you already know because you've already seen the movies and/or the TV series it's basing itself on. It's not a side story; it is "the" story. It just... skips over a good portion of itself. Within its own medium, for its own story, it does not tell the story.

I mean, c'mon everyone. We're all on the same page here. I'm not entirely sure why I'm explaining any of this. Every single last one of us recognizes that the Dragon Ball Super manga is missing material. This isn't a condemnation or qualitative analysis of it; it's just stating the obvious fact.
Meshack wrote:I’m not gonna blindly follow someone because he’s credible
This tends to be precisely the reason why you do in fact listen and pay attention to someone.
Meshack wrote:Wouldn’t you say that Toyotarou is tied to Vjump due to working on DBHVM, a manga adaptation for an actual video game? I believe that’s the reason he’s not in Weekly Jump. Even the manga adaptation for Resurrection F was in Vjump.
Toyotaro works for Shueisha. They could serialize him anywhere they wanted to.

They continue to serialize him in V-Jump.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:He's a semi-anonymous illustrator working under a pen-name
You've mentioned a few times how Toyotaro writes under a pen name, and all else aside I don't see how that's relevant. Plenty of major manga artists go under pen names: Monkey Punch, Yudetamago, ONE...heck even Toriyama has said that he regrets not using a pen name. It's really got nothing to do with anything one way or another.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Herms wrote:You've mentioned a few times how Toyotaro writes under a pen name, and all else aside I don't see how that's relevant. Plenty of major manga artists go under pen names: Monkey Punch, Yudetamago, ONE...heck even Toriyama has said that he regrets not using a pen name. It's really got nothing to do with anything one way or another.
Sure, but we actually know those folks' names (well, I dunno about ONE, and that's another weird case where the flip scenario happened and a well-known author ended up doing the re-adaptation!).

The veil they keep in front of Toyotaro seems strange to me. It's like they want to parade him out as Toriyama Jr., but not too much. And the fact that they made him change a previous pen-name is also weird. Kinda loving how they let Lee keep his.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
sintzu wrote:One could just watch the 2 movies then move on to Champa's manga arc with no problems. It happens with other franchises so why not here ? I don't see anyone calling the new star wars game a side thing because it requires previous knowledge of another format (the movies).
The video game analogy doesn't work here, because the new Star Wars game isn't attempting to tell the entire Star Wars story itself beginning to end. It's its own independent side story. Yes, it relies on you knowing Star Wars stuff, but you get Iden Versio's story in its entirety in that one product.

(I don't really know the Star Wars story and just Googled the main character's name in Battlefront II, so go easy on me there.)

The Dragon Ball Super manga actually does in fact start with the "beginning" of the respective series... and then proceeds to skip over material that it assumes you already know because you've already seen the movies and/or the TV series it's basing itself on. It's not a side story; it is "the" story. It just... skips over a good portion of itself. Within its own medium, for its own story, it does not tell the story.

I mean, c'mon everyone. We're all on the same page here. I'm not entirely sure why I'm explaining any of this. Every single last one of us recognizes that the Dragon Ball Super manga is missing material. This isn't a condemnation or qualitative analysis of it; it's just stating the obvious fact.
Meshack wrote:I’m not gonna blindly follow someone because he’s credible
This tends to be precisely the reason why you do in fact listen and pay attention to someone.
Meshack wrote:Wouldn’t you say that Toyotarou is tied to Vjump due to working on DBHVM, a manga adaptation for an actual video game? I believe that’s the reason he’s not in Weekly Jump. Even the manga adaptation for Resurrection F was in Vjump.
Toyotaro works for Shueisha. They could serialize him anywhere they wanted to.

They continue to serialize him in V-Jump.
About the following statement, I’m saying that just because you say something, I’m not gonna believe it automatically.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Herms wrote:You've mentioned a few times how Toyotaro writes under a pen name, and all else aside I don't see how that's relevant. Plenty of major manga artists go under pen names: Monkey Punch, Yudetamago, ONE...heck even Toriyama has said that he regrets not using a pen name. It's really got nothing to do with anything one way or another.
Sure, but we actually know those folks' names (well, I dunno about ONE, and that's another weird case where the flip scenario happened and a well-known author ended up doing the re-adaptation!).

The veil they keep in front of Toyotaro seems strange to me. It's like they want to parade him out as Toriyama Jr., but not too much. And the fact that they made him change a previous pen-name is also weird. Kinda loving how they let Lee keep his.
Was it said they made him change it? He doesn’t really talk about his fan work so maybe he didn’t like Toyble and wanted to use Toyotarou instead.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

I consider the Anime Canon because Toyotaro ruined the Trunks arc in the story.

Merged Zamasu using some Metal blocks over Godly Lightning attacks?

Plus the Manga hardly makes sense. It was stated that the Time Ring can only be used by a Kaioshin. If Black isnt a Kaioshin, how did he manage to use the Time Ring? Also the made far better use of Trunks. Not to mention the hundreds of Merzed Zamasu of equal power. You GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.

Now if if you see the ToP arc, Toppo himself is strong enough to beat FP SSB Goku. So i would like Toyotaro to bring up a good reason to get Jiren fight Goku. They dont even have Kaioken Goku, so essentially Goku will definitely be as strong as he was while fighting Toppo when he is up against Jiren. The anime clearly shows why Jiren was needed, to beat Goku and Hit.

Fanboys can jump all over the Manga, but think it through and you will see the Anime is FAR more polished in terms of story. Anime is my only Canon.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Categorizing something as canonical simply because you like it more has... well, very little to do with anything other than it being a transparent tactic to justify your own personal interests.

It has historically been a similar sentiment thrown at the Trunks TV special over "TRUNKS THE STORY", which existed as a manga chapter first.

You don't need an overarching official declaration of canonicity to like something. Enjoy what you enjoy, explain why you enjoy it, and be comfortable in your own skin.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:25 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Categorizing something as canonical simply because you like it more has... well, very little to do with anything other than it being a transparent tactic to justify your own personal interests.

It has historically been a similar sentiment thrown at the Trunks TV special over "TRUNKS THE STORY", which existed as a manga chapter first.

You don't need an overarching official declaration of canonicity to like something. Enjoy what you enjoy, explain why you enjoy it, and be comfortable in your own skin.
Blatantly destroying the story isnt canon worthy. Also how can the Manga be canon anyway? DBZ Manga is canon because the Anime was an Adaptation of it. It came later. I have yet to see another series where the Manga/Comic is done after the ongoing animation and is designated canon.

Speaking of you, some of us have seen constant "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable". I posted it in the Website section too. Could you check it? Maybe ask the people who own the servers [unless its you]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Again, you simply liking something more than something else doesn't have any relevance to a non-existent declaration of canonicity.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Again, you simply liking something more than something else doesn't have any relevance to a non-existent declaration of canonicity.

Fine. Could you check the server problem?

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Call me reductive but I would say what is canon is what comes from original author (aka Toriyama in regard of DB) no more no less,
Rest is adaptations, side-stories, fan-fictions etc lol
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

I won't consider the manga truly canon until it switches to Weekly Jump. Right now, it's still a kind of promotional material. I say "kind of" because it's not used to hype the anime much, but it's a official product and Toyotaro is seemingly having lots of freedom over how to pace the story, plus he gets some pointers from Toriyama, although the same happened to Lee and Toriyama also supervises the anime.

Obviously it's entirely up to the fans whether they want to consider the anime or the manga the main canon, depending on their preferences, considering there isn't an official "canon". Although it's undeniable that the anime is the main product, as it is the most popular, it is ahead and videogames are based on its story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical