Super Episode 115 (12 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 115 (12 November 2017)

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Herms wrote:NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 115, aired 12 November 2017

悟空VSケフラ! 超サイヤ人ブルー敗れる!?
Gokū vs Kefura! Supā Saiya-jin Burū Yabureru!?
Goku vs Kafla! Super Saiyan Blue Beaten?!

Summary:

Kale and Caulifla have used the Potara earrings to merge into Kafla, much to Goku’s amazement. Impressed at her own power, Kafla (still in her base form) begins knocking Super Saiyan God Goku around, and he can immediately tell that her power and speed are in a different class than what they were pre-fusion. On the sidelines, Beerus protests that using the Potara must surely be against the rules. Champa suggests that if Beerus doesn’t like it, he can just use the Potara too, but Beerus is afraid of getting disqualified.

However, the Omni-Kings are hyped up at seeing this fusion, so the Grand Priest announces that the use of Potara is allowed. The U3 Kaioshin Ea says that they have no need to use the Potara, for reasons that go without saying. The U4 God of Destruction Quitela likewise insists his universe doesn’t need to resort to that tactic. Still fighting Toppo, Vegeta is distracted by Kafla’s rising ki, which enables Toppo to get the drop on him once more. Toppo says that if Vegeta is that interested in Goku’s fight, then he can watch it from the bleachers, and begins to crush Vegeta in a bearhug.

Elsewhere, Gohan and Piccolo continue their battle against the U6 Namekians Saonel and Pirina. Though Gohan manages to sever Pirina’s arm, Pirina immediately uses his Namekian regenerative abilities to regrow it. Beerus resolves for their team to use the Potara, and Shin suggests they merge No.17 and No.18 together. Being twins, they should be highly compatible; they can even call them No.35! But Whis points out that if they lose after merging, it will mean two loses at once. This makes Beerus change his tune, since he doesn’t want to risk reducing their numerical advantage.

On the other hand, the U2 gods decide that it will be difficult for any single warrior to defeat Jiren or Goku, and so decide to use their Potara to merge Zarbuto and Rabanra. However, Zarbuto struggles to put his Potara on (since he forgets to take his helmet off first), and before the two can merge Kafla runs through, knocking them both out of the way and shattering their Potara. Meanwhile, No.18 has injured her leg in an explosion, and is confronted by Katopesla. Though she is unable to dodge his fast punch, No.17 intervenes and holds Katopesla’s fist back, not being OK with the idea of hitting a lady in the face. Katopesla objects that there’s no room for mercy on the battlefield, and 17 agrees, then promptly pummels him and wanders off.

Kafla continues to overwhelm Super Saiyan God Goku, who at last is forced to transform into Super Saiyan Blue. He realizes that he can’t risk holding back against Kafla any longer. In response, Kafla finally transforms into a Super Saiyan, amazing everyone even more with her power. On the sidelines, Vados thinks Kafla should be careful against Super Saiyan Blue Goku, but Champa recognizes that Goku hasn’t fully recovered his stamina since his fight with Jiren, so he figures Kafla can take him. Even Champa hadn’t expected Kafla to be this powerful; it was a happy miscalculation on his part.

As the two begin to clash, their power shoots up even higher, threatening to wreck the arena. Even Jiren’s eye twitches ever-so-slightly! Vegeta finally manages to break free from Toppo’s hold, and notices that Goku has gone Blue. Trading blows with Goku, Kafla vows to surpass him and achieve Super Saiyan Blue herself, but Goku doubts that she can. As Goku uses Kaio-Ken to deflect one of Kafla’s blasts, Freeza observes from the sidelines that this is a fight worth watching; which Saiyan will prevail?

Beerus is worried that Goku is pushing himself too far by using Kaio-Ken without his stamina fully recovered, but Whis points out that Goku must have determined that this was the only way to defeat Super Saiyan Kafla. Indeed, Goku’s Kaio-Ken power is enough to make Kafla’s arm go numb, and she recognizes him as a worthy opponent. After some more fighting, another of Goku’s attacks sends Kafla flying off into the distance, burying her under a pile of rubble. Champa yells at her that she can’t lose while using the Potara; he’ll never forgive her if she does!

Finally, Kafla gets back up from the rubble; that last attack may have hurt, but she’s not finished yet! Muten Roshi can tell that Kafla is fighting beyond her limits, and Whis says she is being driven by her Saiyan blood. Beerus is worried that Goku can’t keep using Kaio-Ken with his current stamina; he’ll have to finish the fight with his next attack! Goku counters two of Kafla’s blasts with a Kamehameha, but Kafla takes that opportunity to circle behind him and kick him in the head.

Goku is knocked down and reverts to his base state, disappointing Kafla, who wanted to fight him a little longer. She declares that she’ll drop him out of bounds next, but Goku refuses to give up, and struggles back to his feet. While Kafla responds with another barrage of ki blasts, this time Goku starts glowing silver, and somehow none of the blasts manage to hit him. Kafla thinks this must be a fluke and fires again, but with the same results.

Goku opens his eyes, which are now shining silver, and Roshi and co. on the sidelines realize he has returned to the form he had while fighting Jiren. Whis confirms that Goku has broken through his shell once again, something he didn’t expect to happen here again. Beerus is eager to get another look…at Ultra Instinct! Even the difficult-to-please Omni-Kings are excited for once.

19 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
After rewatching this episode, I have to bring this episode's rating from a 7 to a 6 due to some frames looking bad at some places but still a good episode.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm surprised they're not knocking out any of the fodder characters. Like why didn't 17's attack knock the spacesuit guy out of the ring? What's the point of keeping him around?

I thought Kefla was going to knock the other two guys out too but they didn't fall off. Why are they slowing down with the ring outs? Especially with obvious fodder characters?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm

precita wrote:I'm surprised they're not knocking out any of the fodder characters. Like why didn't 17's attack knock the spacesuit guy out of the ring? What's the point of keeping him around?

I thought Kefla was going to knock the other two guys out too but they didn't fall off. Why are they slowing down with the ring outs? Especially with obvious fodder characters?
I think these are just scenes to fill out the episode. It seems since Goku vs Jiren you have to be the focus of an episode to lose and also be eliminated.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Forgot to mention this, but that whole Potara gag at the start was great. Beerus ripping of the Potara from Shin's ears made me laugh way more than it should've.

Diggz92

Post by Diggz92 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Goku is a serious no hold back fighter in ultra instinct so will he hold back a little once the opponent is two weak to fight back like he usually would?
This episode was good told us everything thing we know with Goku holding back a bit. While making this fight seem a bit more on the line as Goku has to use kio Ken to fight. keep teasing us with piccolo and Gohan vs the us namekians and toppo vs Vegeta.
Last edited by Diggz92 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Seems very likely from this ep that Android 18 will be the next main character to lose. As long as she gets a few more wins before going down I'll be fine.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Overall an acceptable episode. The writing and scenario itself was fine, but both the animation and storyboarding failed to make note of the situation. Oh well, next week looks good.

My only complaint is that the Universe 3 Policeman (Katopesla?) reverted back to the generic vague villain character that the Tournament's been filled with. I was half-expecting to have the character react to 18's injury and go "Oh, you're injured! Bah, it wouldn't be fair of me to fight you! I'll just wait until you're ready then!" Yes, that doesn't mesh with the stakes of the Tournament, but having a character super-involved over what's fair and morally upright or not infinitely sounds better than the stoic vaguely grimmed characters we've been stuck with for some episodes. A shame too, he was so hammy last episode and I loved it.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:05 pm

That was a good episode, not as last week, but still good. I really liked that this time there were a better usage of characters in their individual fights and not just Goku.

- So just like Lord Beerus predicted here: for Zen-Oh is like "If is cool then it's allowed" :D

- Gohan ripping off the fellow namekian arm with his foot was savage :o

- I lol'd at Universe 7 having the idea to fuse 17 and 18 and name them nº 35 and how Krillin was relieved when they dropped it :lol:

- Meh, Freeza was stupid in this episode, what you gain watching that battle? Why not stop wasting your time and continue to clear the fodders from this tournament? :problem:

- As predicted Kefla served to Goku unlock Ultra Instinct again and glad that this time we might see him stomping a foe in this form.

- NEP shows that Jiren will wake up, but Goku will run out of energy after using UI... I think the end is near :think:

- Not really was it seems every episode is like 1 minute in the tournament, so there are 19 episodes left for the end? :eh:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 pm

I'll be honest, I thought the previous episode was infinitely more exciting. There's definitely more dynamism in watching Goku take on a tag-team of Kale and Caulifla as opposed to a fusion between the two. The action last week also did a better job of hitting all the right notes, which I'll admit was partially thanks to the animation.

I'm particularly interested in seeing more of UI Goku though. His dodge-heavy fighting style in that form is a pretty significant departure from his usual showings so next week certainly has potential.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Saturnine wrote:I'll be disappointed if there's no SSj3 Kefla next episode though.
It won't happen, so prepare yourself to that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Herms wrote:Beerus resolves for their team to use the Potara, and Shin suggests they merge No.17 and No.18 together. Being twins, they should be highly compatible; they can even call them No.35!
What? Potara fusion takes the original and the truth about everything. That's why Merged Zamasu is just tecnically called "Zamasu" and his appearance is Zamasu, ignoring Goku Black (and his name) almost completely. For Goku and Vegeta, Potara fusion takes the real name of Goku.

A Potara fusion between Android 17 and Android 18 would merge "Lapis" and "Lazuli", their real names.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Grimlock wrote:A Potara fusion between Android 17 and Android 18 would merge "Lapis" and "Lazuli", their real names.
Sure, but who but in the actual show knows that these are their real names?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 pm

It was an ok episode, but coming on the heels of Takahashi last week it's difficult to get excited for this one. I was happy to see ssjg Goku still around though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Noah wrote:Sure, but who but in the actual show knows that these are their real names?
Besides themselves? Kuririn probably. Actually it's pretty damn weird Kuririn still calls her own wife by "Android 18". The names "Lapís" and "Lazuli" should have already been mentioned by now.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Big Chief
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Chief » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Katopesla survived.. I am satisfied.
Some know me as GigglesMcFiggles.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Episode was fine, it resulted in the obvious ever since we've know Goku has been recovering his stamina. I love the concept, even if it isn't anything new or exciting.

The anime just wasn't able to pull it off to my expectations, a lot of it has to do with the inconsistent power scale and no pointers explaining how Goku was recovering his stamina, not an in-depth explanation but at least some clues as to his rate of recovery and such.
This whole process was devoid of tension, it was simply writers putting check marks it felt like.

Something that is perplexing me about this whole story point is how long it's taking. Four episodes going to five?! Why are they dragging this? Even the Jiren fight only had 2 episodes dedicated to it.
At this point I just want Goku and Kefla to get on with it. Show me Vegeta vs Toppo, show me Gohan and Piccolo, show me the Androids, show me something else.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 pm

MajinMan wrote:All the little scenes that the rest of the Universe 7 fighters got were pretty cool, too. Kafla is literally Caulifla x2, I see no hints of Kale anywhere. I also loved how they HAMMERED home that Goku is not near his full stamina and power the entire match. Hopefully all the "expert" writers and scalers we have will calm down for once. It's a damn Potara fusion of two decently strong warriors with high potential. If it isn't going to be strong, then what's the damn point? Relax, people.
If she starts screaming out "Son Goku!", then maybe that'll prove there's a little Kale in there. :lol:

Yeah, they did keep pointing out that Goku was low on stamina thus couldn't exert as much power (with the exception of Ultra Instinct). Hey, at least SSB didn't get as dominated as we thought. SSG got bodied though. Kafla might be pretty strong, but I'm sure if she faced someone like Hit, she'd lose. Badly. Whereas a full powered Goku (minus UI) would at least tie with Hit.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 pm

I'm honestly getting really sick of these fodder characters getting blasted away and not getting eliminated. What purpose are they serving at this point? Early on in the arc people got knocked out from much less

Also i'm sick of Kefla, can she please be gone and done with so we can get to more interesting fights.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 pm

So not only did she force Goku to use UI, she's making him put in more effort than he did against Jerin. Super's writing is at an all time low now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:45 pm

sintzu wrote:So not only did she force Goku to use UI, she's making him put in more effort than he did against Jerin. Super's writing is at an all time low now.
Granted Goku wasnt "forced" to UI, it was most likely accidental.