Super Episode 115 (12 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 115 (12 November 2017)

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Things I Liked:

-Vegeta vs. Toppo was cool, albeit short.
-I must admit, the Potara gag with Universe 2 was actually pretty good.
-The ending of the episode once Ultra Instinct kicked in was good.
-"Pipe down, peanut gallery!" is perhaps the best thing Caulifla/Kefla has ever said.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-The actual fight between Goku and Kefla was alright, but it was far too minimal to carry any sort of weight. It was barely featured in the first half of the episode and the second half was very poorly directed. Not enough meat to justify being the "ultimate Saiyan showdown," as Kiyoshi Hikawa called it.
-Please stop with the 30 second teases of Gohan and Piccolo's fight. It looks awesome, so please just spend a full episode (or three) showing them fight.
-I'm glad we decided to settle the whole Potara debacle a whole episode after it actually happened. Better late than never, right?
-The art and animation was a definite drop from last week, but I suppose that was to be expected.

Things I Disliked:

-On the flip side, "Don't pee yourself from fear" is one of the worst lines she's ever said. I know this is a kid's show, but your best battle banter is THAT!?
-Oh hey, it's 18! And she has an injury... that she got... off-screen. *Sigh*
-Kefla had it right. The peanut gallery needs to pipe down. They took up so much screen-time that when it was the halfway point of the episode I felt like nothing had happened.
-I'm sorry, but I just cannot buy that a fatigued Goku who barely had the stamina to go SSJ3 two episodes ago can comfortably utilize SSB with Kaioken this episode.
-Very minor point, but I love how two episodes ago the show made a big deal about how Goku is this "expert martial artist" with "far more experience" than Caulifla/Kefla, yet he's taken out in one hit after falling for an obvious energy blast distraction. Way to go, Goku!
-As others have said, Kefla basically just seems like Caulifla with a power boost. Also, I didn't comment on this last episode, but Kefla's design seriously looks like a teen's fan fiction character. It's really bad, in my opinion.

Overall, this episode was quite a bit worse than last week. If you trim all the fat and just focus on the meat of the episode, it's not that bad; the problem is that most of the episode is said fat. All that time could have been better spent making this feel like it was actually the "ultimate Saiyan showdown." Poor direction and a lack of significant content made this episode very underwhelming. There are aspects of this episode that I can certainly see people enjoying, but this is one of the weaker episodes of the tournament in my book.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Granted Goku wasnt "forced" to UI, it was most likely accidental.
Blue wasn't enough so he was forced to use it or he would've lost. It still doesn't change the fact that she's giving hima hard time.
Noah wrote:
Saturnine wrote:I'll be disappointed if there's no SSj3 Kefla next episode though.
It won't happen, so prepare yourself to that.
Let's hope not, if she's giving him trouble like this, with Ssj3 she'll probably kick off the ring without even touching him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:Things I Liked:

-Vegeta vs. Toppo was cool, albeit short.
-I must admit, the Potara gag with Universe 2 was actually pretty good.
-The ending of the episode once Ultra Instinct kicked in was good.
-"Pipe down, peanut gallery!" is perhaps the best thing Caulifla/Kefla has ever said.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-The actual fight between Goku and Kefla was alright, but it was far too minimal to carry any sort of weight. It was barely featured in the first half of the episode and the second half was very poorly directed. Not enough meat to justify being the "ultimate Saiyan showdown," as Kiyoshi Hikawa called it.
-Please stop with the 30 second teases of Gohan and Piccolo's fight. It looks awesome, so please just spend a full episode (or three) showing them fight.
-I'm glad we decided to settle the whole Potara debacle a whole episode after it actually happened. Better late than never, right?
-The art and animation was a definite drop from last week, but I suppose that was to be expected.

Things I Disliked:

-On the flip side, "Don't pee yourself from fear" is one of the worst lines she's ever said. I know this is a kid's show, but your best battle banter is THAT!?
-Oh hey, it's 18! And she has an injury... that she got... off-screen. *Sigh*
-Kefla had it right. The peanut gallery needs to pipe down. They took up so much screen-time that when it was the halfway point of the episode I felt like nothing had happened.
-I'm sorry, but I just cannot buy that a fatigued Goku who barely had the stamina to go SSJ3 two episodes ago can comfortably utilize SSB with Kaioken this episode.
-Very minor point, but I love how two episodes ago the show made a big deal about how Goku is this "expert martial artist" with "far more experience" than Caulifla/Kefla, yet he's taken out in one hit after falling for an obvious energy blast distraction. Way to go, Goku!
-As others have said, Kefla basically just seems like Caulifla with a power boost. Also, I didn't comment on this last episode, but Kefla's design seriously looks like a teen's fan fiction character. It's really bad, in my opinion.

Overall, this episode was quite a bit worse than last week. If you trim all the fat and just focus on the meat of the episode, it's not that bad; the problem is that most of the episode is said fat. All that time could have been better spent making this feel like it was actually the "ultimate Saiyan showdown." Poor direction and a lack of significant content made this episode very underwhelming. There are aspects of this episode that I can certainly see people enjoying, but this is one of the weaker episodes of the tournament in my book.
The "ultimate Saiyan showdown" will always be Goku vs Vegeta. :lol:

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Granted Goku wasnt "forced" to UI, it was most likely accidental.
Blue wasn't enough so he was forced to use it or he would've lost. It still doesn't change the fact that she's giving hima hard time.
Noah wrote:
Saturnine wrote:I'll be disappointed if there's no SSj3 Kefla next episode though.
It won't happen, so prepare yourself to that.
Let's hope not, if she's giving him trouble like this, with Ssj3 she'll probably kick off the ring without even touching him.
You're basing her giving UI Goku a hard time on a preview?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 am

I thought it was a fun episode. Perhaps not as good as last week's, but that can't be helped.

Kafla may not be largely different from Caulifla, but that's similar to how Gotenks is essentially just an even more egotistical Trunks. (And Vegetto's not around long enough to really show any distinct personality.)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:11 am

Jigurashi wrote:You're basing her giving UI Goku a hard time on a preview?
Yeah. Before you say it, no I don't need to wait to see the episode to fgure that out.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 am

sintzu wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:You're basing her giving UI Goku a hard time on a preview?
Yeah. Before you say it, no I don't need to wait to see the episode to fgure that out.
You need to wait to see the episode to figure that out.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:44 am

Boo, I wanted to see Zabanra. I hope they change their mind on the Android 35 fusion later on.

Not very good episode compared to the last few, fight was a bit underwhelming. I hope the UI Goku fight will be better.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 am

JazzMazz wrote:I'm really annoyed at this episode.

The actual content was completely fine, but my god the direction was so half-assed and was completely unable to sell the drama of the fight.

I guess this goes to show what bad direction can do in comparison to good direction.

We had the same scenario writer as 104, 107 and 112, some of the best episodes of the tournament due to the script being properly realized through good direction. Due to the bad direction of this episode, I felt the script's full potential wasn't properly realized and we ended up with a completely mediocre episode with nothing memorable about it.

For me, due to the aforementioned completely weightless direction, this episode was a let down.
100% agree with this. The direction in this episode was really, really bad. It was just all over the place at times and didn't give enough focus where it was needed.

I didn't like this episode. Ultra Instinct did not feel necessary or deserved. Goku basically got 1-shotted and that was it. Fight wasn't very interesting, and way too much damn sideline chatter. Kefla was totally breaking the fourth wall there when she told the peanut gallery to shut up :lol: .

It felt rushed, and it felt like a lazier and even more rushed version of the special. The Goku and Kefla fight was unexciting and disappointing, making the reveal of UI even more disappointing.

They really screwed this one up. :thumbdown:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 am

Blue Kaiou-ken looks nice, but I sure hope it goes away forever after this arc. I want Gokuu to just focus on Mastery of Self-Movement from now on.

Also, it's hard to believe that we still have nineteen episodes of this fucking thing left. Grief.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:16 am

Also, as much as I loved seeing Ultra Instinct again, I will admit that it didn't take... much this time to activate it. Felt really contrived, but hey, at least we get a full episode of Ultra Instinct next week :thumbup:

And I'm pretty sure a lot of the fanbase is just going to enjoy Kafla getting beaten to a pulp. Cruel world out there. :lol:

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:18 am

Really nice episode! Lots of things I liked

I loved the whole Potara sequence. Why do I feel the Zenos are representing the fandom at this point? Especially when they were chanting "Fusion! Fusion! Fusion!"

The fight against Kefla and Goku was fun. Also glad we got to see what everyone else was up to. Though salty that 18 somehow hurt herself off screen. But gave 17 some time to shine. Also, we got to see a bit more of Vegeta vs Toppo. Wish that'd get more attention

And welcome back Ultra Instinct!!! So excited to see what happens. And it looks like Jiren next week is getting back to the game.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Also, as much as I loved seeing Ultra Instinct again, I will admit that it didn't take... much this time to activate it.
Yeah, I mean... she's stronger than SSB so Goku uses an unspecified KK multiplier to even the odds. Making it worse, Goku's running on steam, so is he actually considerably weaker in this SSBKK state or just more tired or what? SSJ (Controlled Berserk?) Kefla seems to be roughly on par with Toppo or maybe weaker, yet she is able to push Goku into Ultra Instinct...
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:28 am

I thought Vegetto would be returning in this episode as Universe 7's answer to Kafla, but two Saiyans with SSB capabilities fused together would probably be too OP for Kafla. Good episode. I think it's safe to say after almost 20 episodes, this Tournament of Power has delivered more than I expected. The main problem I've had with the tournament so far is that I wish some of the other universes got more filler than they did before the tournament, but there are some decent gag eliminations of those characters, and a Dragon Ball show still needs some gags so I can work with it. Ultra Instinct coming back at the end was predictable after Goku went down, there's no way he gets eliminated without a Round 2 against Jiren.

I still need more Freeza in this tournament. Hopefully he gets involved in a big way soon.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote: I loved the whole Potara sequence. Why do I feel the Zenos are representing the fandom at this point? Especially when they were chanting "Fusion! Fusion! Fusion!"
True. Maybe that's why I don't like them much. :lol:
MKCSTEALTH wrote: And welcome back Ultra Instinct!!! So excited to see what happens. And it looks like Jiren next week is getting back to the game.
Back in the game to watch UI Goku go at it then go back to meditating :lol: At least until UI Goku shows up again or time is close to running out. Jiren could end the tournament now but there's no way that's gonna happen. In my best Kendrick Lamar impression: "Meditate, meditate, meditate, meditate" :lol:
Ziegander wrote:Yeah, I mean... she's stronger than SSB so Goku uses an unspecified KK multiplier to even the odds. Making it worse, Goku's running on steam, so is he actually considerably weaker in this SSBKK state or just more tired or what? SSJ (Controlled Berserk?) Kefla seems to be roughly on par with Toppo or maybe weaker, yet she is able to push Goku into Ultra Instinct...
I'm just going to assume basic Kaioken because Goku would likely have specified which KK it was if it were higher than the basic one and because he was running on fumes at that point. And I think weaker than Toppo. Don't think she could beat Hit either.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:39 am

So it happened exactly like I said last week. The Potara clearly wasn't originally allowed, and they literally used that "It's amazing so it's allowed" excuse again that some of you were making fun of it last week and said everything so far wasn't against the rules. Finally, people can stop using that nonsense "it's not a weapon" thing again. I mean, sure maybe you were correct in a way but you can't rely on logic when you have a show with garbage writing level aimed at kids and should be watched without a thinking, especially when it was contradicted before. Yet some fans try their hardest to justify the bad writing by using exact definitions and looking deeply into the meaning of some lines and analyzing scenes when the writers clearly didn't think that far and deep. You give them credits more than what they deserve for their level of writing.

This is just Dragon Ball, an anime with below average writing. I would totally agree with you if it was a show that has a high level of writing and details, but you just keep wasting your time by overthinking and analyzing stuff that was totally unintended by the writers, and they keep disappointing you.

Power levels are the same, but you keep wasting your energy and complain about it when the writers don't give a shit about it. I'm not against you. In fact, I feel bad for you when you waste your energy by discussing things deeply just to see the writers disappoint you and give 0 fucks about logic and making sense. You can use your energy for shows that deserve it and you will rarely feel angry or rant about it. As thy respect your brains.

Despite all of the above, the episode is very enjoyable and good when you are watching without thinking, just like how it is supposed to be.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 am

So we finally have confirmation "sort of" that a man and woman can fuse. Like, how does that work exactly? Do they become trans-gender?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:19 am

AvatarReiko wrote:So we finally have confirmation "sort of" that a man and woman can fuse. Like, how does that work exactly? Do they become trans-gender?
Obviously they would turn into a hermaphrodite. :lol:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 am

I hate this episode so damn much! who wrote this?
Besides UI Goku saving this episode, everything was a damn bore.
Yet another "its cool so its allowed!" makes me wonder why they established a rule in the first place if its as fickle as that.
I had hopes for this fusion BS to at the very least make "Kefla" bearable but nope, she just became more obnoxious than she ever was as Cauli, Jesus damn christ someone delete this character.
The most unforgivable act they did was they used "Ultimate Battle" OST (the one they used on Goku V Jiren) on their fight when it was a mediocre battle at best, a few multiple ki shots here and there and they go to "HOW FAR WILL THEY GO!?" "Do they plan to destroy the arena?!" that was awful as hell.
While I want seeing other fighters fighting, this was handled bad, even the Vegeta one. I felt more hype with the namekians V Gohan,Piccolo and 17 knocking the police guy than the actual Goku fight that was supposed to be the highlight of this.
The animation and art were horrible as well! nothing noteworthy nor memorable, but I blame Takahashi for that.
Thats it for my rant. This is probably the most horrible ep ToP has ever produced.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 am

There was this one shot where Kefla had a massive camel toe..