What do you guys think about Kafla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 am

dbgtFO wrote:Design wise her eyes in Super Saiyan are completely wrong, when every form of Kale and Caulifla and even base Kafla had the same kind of eyes.
I suppose they didn't want her to look too much like Kale..
Other than that she does enough for me to not be particularly bothered by her. As I mentioned in the episode thread however it seemed like the staff deliberatly stayed away from having a scene where Goku's fists or punches actually connect with the sort of impact it did, when she blocked him.
We got some zoomed out shots and the aftermath of those hits, but never an impactful shot of Goku hitting her, diminishing Goku in the process.
How?
How is showing the scale of the force of characters blows detrimental to the character?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 am

JazzMazz wrote: How?
How is showing the scale of the force of characters blows detrimental to the character?
Before I answer, I want you to elaborate on what you mean by that.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 am

dbgtFO wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: How?
Before I answer, I want you to elaborate on what you mean by that.
I was being curious about this statement.
Other than that she does enough for me to not be particularly bothered by her. As I mentioned in the episode thread however it seemed like the staff deliberatly stayed away from having a scene where Goku's fists or punches actually connect with the sort of impact it did, when she blocked him.
We got some zoomed out shots and the aftermath of those hits, but never an impactful shot of Goku hitting her, diminishing Goku in the process.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 am

JazzMazz wrote: I was being curious about this statement.
I know that's the comment you replied to, but I don't know what you meant with your "scale of the characters blows" statement.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 am

dbgtFO wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I was being curious about this statement.
I know that's the comment you replied to, but I don't know what you meant with your "scale of the characters blows" statement.
How is showing the scale of the characters blows by having them blow other characters through the scenery in wide shots detrimental to character?

I think thats decently clear.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 am

JazzMazz wrote: How is showing the scale of the characters blows by having them blow other characters through the scenery in wide shots detrimental to character?

I think it's fine to have wide shots, where the character gets blown away, but having that and the shots of the aftermath of the blows be the only scenes, where you are supposed to get the idea of the impact, diminishes the scene and character, that's delivering the blows.
It's as if Goku isn't allowed to get a close up of him beating Kafla, when Kafla on the other hand is allowed to get closeups, when she accomplishes blocking one of Goku's blows.
Goku is awesome, sure, but it's jarring to see him getting to land a hit on Jiren in the stomach, with the right amount of focus, that gives that better perceived impact, than what he did to Kafla with the zoomed out shots and omission of contact between the two.
Hope I made myself clear.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:24 am

dbgtFO wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: How is showing the scale of the characters blows by having them blow other characters through the scenery in wide shots detrimental to character?

I think it's fine to have wide shots, where the character gets blown away, but having that and the shots of the aftermath of the blows be the only scenes, where you are supposed to get the idea of the impact, diminishes the scene and character, that's delivering the blows.
It's as if Goku isn't allowed to get a close up of him beating Kafla, when Kafla on the other hand is allowed to get closeups, when she accomplishes blocking one of Goku's blows.
Goku is awesome, sure, but it's jarring to see him getting to land a hit on Jiren in the stomach, with the right amount of focus, that gives that better perceived impact, than what he did to Kafla with the zoomed out shots and omission of contact between the two.
Hope I made myself clear.
The thing is though, they were scenes doing something akin to what your describing. we had loads of scenes highlighting the close up expressions and reactions to Kefla taking UI Goku's attacks. The most prominent example in my mind is when Goku punches Kefla with air, that entire scene was pretty much demonstrating the power and scale of his attack against Kefla, both from a distance and close up by expressing the immediate impact and the super exaggerated close-up reactions to the blow.

So, I still don't necessarily see your point, since what you've describe is demonstrated in the fight.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 am

JazzMazz wrote: The thing is though, they were scenes doing something akin to what your describing. we had loads of scenes highlighting the close up expressions and reactions to Kefla taking UI Goku's attacks. The most prominent example in my mind is when Goku punches Kefla with air, that entire scene was pretty much demonstrating the power and scale of his attack against Kefla, both from a distance and close up by expressing the immediate impact and the super exaggerated close-up reactions to the blow.

So, I still don't necessarily see your point, since what you've describe is demonstrated in the fight.
We had scenes of Kafla's reactions, but not the actual shot of Goku connecting with his blows aside from blows that weren't him physically touching her like with the shockwave blow or the Kamehameha.
Goku can knee Jiren in the gut and we get the proper focus for that, but him landing several blows on Kafla is relegated to zoomed out shots and aftermath shots instead of shots of the actual hit connecting.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 am

dbgtFO wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: The thing is though, they were scenes doing something akin to what your describing. we had loads of scenes highlighting the close up expressions and reactions to Kefla taking UI Goku's attacks. The most prominent example in my mind is when Goku punches Kefla with air, that entire scene was pretty much demonstrating the power and scale of his attack against Kefla, both from a distance and close up by expressing the immediate impact and the super exaggerated close-up reactions to the blow.

We had scenes of Kafla's reactions, but not the actual shot of Goku connecting with his blows aside from blows that weren't him physically touching her like with the shockwave blow or the Kamehameha.
Goku can knee Jiren in the gut and we get the proper focus for that, but him landing several blows on Kafla is relegated to zoomed out shots and aftermath shots instead of shots of the actual hit connecting.
Again, I don't exactly see what the problem with that is, since its still showcasing the effectivness of the attack, it simply chose to do so in a manner that had greater emphasis on the scale of the fight, then the immediate impact of the blows. It still conveys how awesome the form is, but lends a greater scale to the impact on the surroundings and how uncontrolably destructive it is, rather than its immediate impact on the Kefla.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:23 am

Lord Beerus wrote:She's basically Vegetto and Gotenks put into a blender and mixed together. She's at least tolerable and fun to watch. But I honestly prefered it if when Kale and Caulfila were fighting individually.
Same man!!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.