What do you guys think about Kafla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
Considering Broly has been around 20 years before DBS was even a thought, it's obvious Kale was an homage to Broly and fanservice for Broly's fans.
Hmmm, that's not the way I see it. Considering she's apart of the main continuity, has a personality that isn't one-dimensional (generic is up for debate), and has a unique form, makes for the OG incarnation.
For something to be an homage to something else it has to exist before the other thing. It doesn't matter at all which is canon.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Kefla is Caulifla turned up to eleven, much like how Gotenks is Trunks turned up to eleven. Does that make sense? It does in my head, anyway. So my problems with her personality are Caulifla's fault.
My main thought about her is actually about her eyes. It makes no sense to me that Caulifla, Kale and Base Kefla all have the standard Universe 6 saiyan eyes, but Super Saiyan Kefla does not. Instead, she has the half-oval eye shape. I know that this was done on purpose, as it's consistent, and I'm left wondering why.
[spoiler]By the way, I prefer "Kefla" because of how I pronounce Kale, which is "keil". Removing the eru from Keeru, so to speak, is like removing the il from keil. In both cases, I'm left with only ke. So Kefla. However, that's strictly my personal opinion on the matter and I do not intend to have a debate about it. Hence the spoiler tag. Other people will look at it in other ways (typically based on spelling instead of pronunciation) and that's fine too.[/spoiler]
I also don't really like that her SS hair is Kale-green. Not that I like Kale having Kale-green in the first place. It's like a follow-up mistake on a maths test; you only lose points for making the mistake the first time, as long as everything afterwards is consistent with it. I actually polled my likers on this, and I was pretty surprised to find that a small majority prefers the green hair (I made a yellow-haired version by shifting the colour). Rounded up, we're talking a 60/40 split (~20 votes so far, but it's been stagnant long enough to draw a final score).

In short, I'm fine with Kefla because most of the problems I have with her already existed in Caulifla and Kale, so it's "not her fault".
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 pm

It won't let me edit my last post, apologies, what I meant was the thing that is an homage has to come second not exist first.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:35 pm

And I was wondering why these two get so much screen time and power. Probably people liked them I was telling to myself, but as a read the topic I get the feeling that most of the community doesn`t like these two. Either individually or fused. I honestly hate them from the moment they turned SSJ thanks to the tingly feeling in the back, sadly the feeling only get stronger and stronger. If it is true that TOEI wants us to buy their toys, I personally might buy a Kefla toy just to burn/blow/brake it :) Someone mentioned power levels? Ok i`m only kidding :)

With all the money this anime is making is it so hard to hire better writers? I`m starting to think that a NARUTO fan is writing DBS and trying to make all DBZ fans crazy :) Most of us probably watch DBS, just cause we liked DB/DBZ back in the day. I don`t understand how do they think it`s a good idea, to break everything a fan cherished back in the day and make it a tingly feeling in the back. All the drama behind Krillin`s death, before Goku went SSJ for the first time (now it`s a joke i guess). All the drama behind Gohan`s SSJ2 transformation. How can a street thug have more potential than any of the Z fighters? How does she sense KI, even Cabba has no idea how to sense KI probably, at least there was no to teach him :) How did she find out where Goku will port in the last episode. How is Claulifla a better martial artist than Goku. I can go on and on but hey seems like next episode will be the last for them :) Keep your fingers crossed!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 pm

dnavenom wrote:And I was wondering why these two get so much screen time and power. Probably people liked them I was telling to myself, but as a read the topic I get the feeling that most of the community doesn`t like these two. Either individually or fused. I honestly hate them from the moment they turned SSJ thanks to the tingly feeling in the back, sadly the feeling only get stronger and stronger. If it is true that TOEI wants us to buy their toys, I personally might buy a Kefla toy just to burn/blow/brake it :) Someone mentioned power levels? Ok i`m only kidding :)

With all the money this anime is making is it so hard to hire better writers? I`m starting to think that a NARUTO fan is writing DBS and trying to make all DBZ fans crazy :) Most of us probably watch DBS, just cause we liked DB/DBZ back in the day. I don`t understand how do they think it`s a good idea, to break everything a fan cherished back in the day and make it a tingly feeling in the back. All the drama behind Krillin`s death, before Goku went SSJ for the first time (now it`s a joke i guess). All the drama behind Gohan`s SSJ2 transformation. How can a street thug have more potential than any of the Z fighters? How does she sense KI, even Cabba has no idea how to sense KI probably, at least there was no to teach him :) How did she find out where Goku will port in the last episode. How is Claulifla a better martial artist than Goku. I can go on and on but hey seems like next episode will be the last for them :) Keep your fingers crossed!
She is not a better martial artist, she is just blindly attacking, this is what Whis said "Martial Art isn't like street fighting. It's not like just blindly attacking will be effective." She is just a fast learner and she is still not as good/powerful as Goku, she couldn't do anything against Goku God and still had a hard time beating Goku when he was still recovering...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:12 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
dnavenom wrote:And I was wondering why these two get so much screen time and power. Probably people liked them I was telling to myself, but as a read the topic I get the feeling that most of the community doesn`t like these two. Either individually or fused. I honestly hate them from the moment they turned SSJ thanks to the tingly feeling in the back, sadly the feeling only get stronger and stronger. If it is true that TOEI wants us to buy their toys, I personally might buy a Kefla toy just to burn/blow/brake it :) Someone mentioned power levels? Ok i`m only kidding :)

She is not a better martial artist, she is just blindly attacking, this is what Whis said "Martial Art isn't like street fighting. It's not like just blindly attacking will be effective." She is just a fast learner and she is still not as good as Goku, she couldn't do anything against Goku God and still had a hard time beating Goku when he was still recovering...
You are trying to tell me that she guessed where Goku will port and attacked there? This means that she adapted so well to his fighting style, that she can predict his moves, something like what Goku did with Hit? That`s pretty much what martial arts are all about, isn`t it? It wasn`t a random shot by any means, she thought about where to make the shot before shooting the blast. She knew where Goku will port! She doesn`t only sense energy, she can also predict movements, who showed her how to do this on the street? I honestly have no idea.

Don`t get me wrong writing is not a problem only in this arc. All power boosts are in no way serious and logical. Starting from Frieza (I`ve trained for 4 months? Really? Why didn`t he train after the Namek saga?), than Goku Rose (Purple is the evil color in Japan, so lets make the evil Goku purple and his power above SSJB?) and now the girls. I know it`s a kids show but come on. Old DB/DBZ wasn`t like that! I`ve tried watching Namek>Cell Sagas and I`m not getting the same feeling of no power level consistency. I`m telling you the writer is a Naruto fan, 100% ! :)

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 pm

That doesn't make her a martial artist... she is just learning... and her opponent is Goku, one of the best, if not the best fighter out there.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 pm

dnavenom wrote:And I was wondering why these two get so much screen time and power. Probably people liked them I was telling to myself, but as a read the topic I get the feeling that most of the community doesn`t like these two.
I'd say the DB community as a whole is split on Caulifla and Kale. They're characters you either love or you hate. Kefla on the other hand, not so much. I think most people dislike her so far since she doesn't really feel like a fusion of two personalities, and more like someone just gave her Vegetto's personality, except even cockier.

At least, I've seen quite a few people say "I like Caulfila and Kale, but Kefla..."

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Asura wrote:
dnavenom wrote:And I was wondering why these two get so much screen time and power. Probably people liked them I was telling to myself, but as a read the topic I get the feeling that most of the community doesn`t like these two.
I'd say the DB community as a whole is split on Caulifla and Kale. They're characters you either love or you hate. Kefla on the other hand, not so much. I think most people dislike her so far since she doesn't really feel like a fusion of two personalities, and more like someone just gave her Vegetto's personality, except even cockier.

At least, I've seen quite a few people say "I like Caulfila and Kale, but Kefla..."
Tbh I'm starting to like Kafla/Kefura because she didn't want to eliminate Goku and wanted to fight him until she learns more and gets stronger. Well, yeah, she is a Caulifla 0.2 but that's not that bad. I think it'd have been better if Kafla was Caulifla, just one character, without Caulifla and Kale. Even though I like Caulifla too, I prefer Kafla's body design and hairstyle in SSJ.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 pm

BrolyKale wrote:That doesn't make her a martial artist... she is just learning... and her opponent is Goku, one of the best, if not the best fighter out there.
I agree 100%! So how does she master him, how did she own Goku, if he is the best martial artist and she is just learning. Both SSJ2 don`t forget. She must be out of stamina by now. She didn`t sit and do normal life activities to control her SSJ like Goku and Gohan did, adapting their bodies to the form. Don`t tell me she is a genius, cause Goku is probably even "genius-er" if not the most genius of all when it comes to fighting :) Sorry but you probably cant convince me there is any sense in this. I`m sure most of us feel the same.

I`m fine with how they look honestly, even Kefla ain`t that bad of a design. I generaly dislike how Cabba looks, with those tiny hands. But the girls, I can forgive if they are skinnier. Besides Kefla has a tight sexy gear, nice abs, what more can you want? The problem is how they get power, without any struggle, any training.

I can understand we need to fill up the plot with a strong char that challenges Goku. I`m sure any character could have done this, why did it have to be another Saiyan, the race we know most about and the race the writer has the smallest amount freedom for interpretation. See Hit, he was a success, cause he was something new. Hit can be as strong as they want him to be, same as Jiren. Maybe someone thought that a fusion would be cool. I honestly am not a fan of fusion. Combining 2 to fight 1, the fused chars admit they can`t do this alone so they loose all honor imo. I perfectly understand Vegeta here and his dislike for this technique. It`s like admitting he is inferior and he probably prefers to die over this. But when you have a family, things get more complicated I guess.

Asura: Both girls could have been a great addition to the DB world if only they were developed during a longer period of time and with a different background story. Street thugs with hentai elements :) (what was it yuri or yaoi) this is not Dragon ball imo. Maybe the manga will fix this, but I`m more of an anime guy and for me this is a fail.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 pm

I agree 100%! So how does she master him, how did she own Goku, if he is the best martial artist and she is just learning. Both SSJ2 don`t forget. She must be out of stamina by now. She didn`t sit and do normal life activities to control her SSJ like Goku and Gohan did, adapting their bodies to the form. Don`t tell me she is a genius, cause Goku is probably even "genius-er" if not the most genius of all when it comes to fighting  Sorry but you probably cant convince me there is any sense in this. I`m sure most of us feel the same. 
I'm not trying to convince you. But she was tired and thanks to Cabba, both Caulifla and Kale could get their power back. Also Caulifla was fighting against Goku who was still recovering, he was tired vs Caulifla and she still couldn't beat him in that state. I wouldn't say she is a "genius" but a fast learner which is two different things.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 pm

dnavenom wrote:Asura: Both girls could have been a great addition to the DB world if only they were developed during a longer period of time and with a different background story. Street thugs with hentai elements :) (what was it yuri or yaoi) this is not Dragon ball imo. Maybe the manga will fix this, but I`m more of an anime guy and for me this is a fail.
I agree, and I think most people feel this way. If they were introduced with already knowing SSJ, I feel like everyone would love them. Cabba not knowing SSJ in the U6 tournament was Toriyama's biggest mistake. He never thinks ahead when he's writing his stories, of course, but this time it really bit him in the ass.

All that being said though, yes they fucked up with their introduction development, but I have a feeling they're not going away any time soon even after this arc, and hopefully they'll get more development then which will get people to come around on them. I think the more they're on screen the more people begin to like them. At least I saw a lot of people here saying they disliked them a lot at first but since 112 they started growing on people.

Also, there are no hentai elements, or yuri. That's just people looking too far into things :). People often forget sometimes that this is a kid's show, and a kid's show that has never been good at showing romance.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Yes, people are over-exaggerating little things... its just two female Saiyans who are best friends, like sisters... I mean, that's normal. Have you guys never seen two sisters/best friends hugging each other? I see a lot of females who like to hug, kiss their best friends or sit on each other's laps that doesn't mean they are lesbian...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 am

BrolyKale wrote:Yes, people are over-exaggerating little things... its just two female Saiyans who are best friends, like sisters... I mean, that's normal. Have you guys never seen two sisters/best friends hugging each other? I see a lot of females who like to hug, kiss their best friends or sit on each other's laps that doesn't mean they are lesbian...
That's what I hate. People are already going like "look at the two lesbians in love" I'm like where?? Same thing with Goten and Trunks. I feel like people who like those two together never saw two guy friends interact irl

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 am

Love her, especially how she is very admirable towards Goku. Calling him "amazing" and appearing to be disappointed when it looked as though he was down for the count in their fight. Since Caulifla is the dominant personality in the potara fusion, that must mean that if they were to do the fusion dance, it would be more in favor of Kale. I wonder how that would play out.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:08 am

BrolyKale wrote:
dnavenom wrote:How can a street thug have more potential than any of the Z fighters? How does she sense KI, even Cabba has no idea how to sense KI probably, at least there was no to teach him :) How did she find out where Goku will port in the last episode. How is Claulifla a better martial artist than Goku. I can go on and on but hey seems like next episode will be the last for them :) Keep your fingers crossed!
She is not a better martial artist, she is just blindly attacking, this is what Whis said "Martial Art isn't like street fighting. It's not like just blindly attacking will be effective."

[..]

That doesn't make her a martial artist... she is just learning... and her opponent is Goku, one of the best, if not the best fighter out there.
Whis: You calculate your distance, sense your opponents' rhythm and movements, find your opportunity, and take advantage of it. Only a true martial artist could do that.

<Caulifla does it>

Beerus: You said she was just a brawler!

Whis: Oh? Did I say that? <as he looks away with sweat on his face>
Whis was wrong, and he admitted as such.

Anticipating IT meaning she's a better martial artist than Goku makes no sense, though. Maybe Gohan. :P It's certainly impressive, but ultimately it's just another move; no different, in essence, from blocking his multitude of kicks and punches. It doesn't say anything to be able to handle one move when it's not your opponent's only option. Her counter didn't even work, Goku blocked it.

All it means is that IT has to become a mixup tool against her now.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 am

Simere wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
dnavenom wrote:How can a street thug have more potential than any of the Z fighters? How does she sense KI, even Cabba has no idea how to sense KI probably, at least there was no to teach him :) How did she find out where Goku will port in the last episode. How is Claulifla a better martial artist than Goku. I can go on and on but hey seems like next episode will be the last for them :) Keep your fingers crossed!
She is not a better martial artist, she is just blindly attacking, this is what Whis said "Martial Art isn't like street fighting. It's not like just blindly attacking will be effective."

[..]

Whis: You calculate your distance, sense your opponents' rhythm and movements, find your opportunity, and take advantage of it. Only a true martial artist could do that.

<Caulifla does it>

Beerus: You said she was just a brawler!

Whis: Oh? Did I say that? <as he looks away with sweat on his face>
Whis was wrong, and he admitted as such.

Anticipating IT meaning she's a better martial artist than Goku makes no sense, though. Maybe Gohan. :P It's certainly impressive, but ultimately it's just another move; no different, in essence, from blocking his multitude of kicks and punches. It doesn't say anything to be able to handle one move when it's not your opponent's only option. Her counter didn't even work, Goku blocked it.

All it means is that IT has to become a mixup tool against her now.
That was the worst part though. Her being a street brawler and not a skilled martial artist was a much needed flaw, but then that flaw was done away with in a matter of minutes because caulifla must be a flawless Mary Sue. It's infuriating.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:39 pm

damn, i'll be really sad if Kefla/Caulifla/Kale get knocked out from the stage. I don't want Goku to defeat her, and i still want to see her shine against other characters that aren't saiyans

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm

I think Kafla's rad.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 am

I was wondering why these two get so much screen time and power. Probably people liked them I was telling to myself, but as a read the topic I get the feeling that most of the community doesn`t like these two
Okay, reality check:
The online community of grown adult, western men who complain online are a very small, very insignificant, very vocal minority of Dragonball fans. It's a Japanese kid's show. Most people who like it just watch it without complaint. If it seems like Toei don't care about the many complaints from this particular community, it's because they actually don't.