What do you guys think about Kafla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Could people please explain to me what it is they find so interesting about Caulifla and Kale? They have zero backstory lol
Also when people say Kale has nothing to do with Broly BESIDES THE LOOKS that's hardly a detail cheers lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Didn't really that much of lasting impression when all was said and done. Her performance in battle left quite a bit to be desired. I mean, she couldn't finish off a heavily fatigued SSJG or SSJB Goku, and then got totally chumped by Ultra Instinct Goku.

Kafla was truly Gotenks 2.0. Nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan that was all sizzle and no stake and basically existed for the sole purposes of producing a pretty fireworks show and artificially extend the plot, before getting put in their place by the superior fighter.

I don't think I'll be looking back on the character too fondly.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Didn't really that much of lasting impression when all was said and done. Her performance in battle left quite a bit to be desired. I mean, she couldn't finish off a heavily fatigued SSJG or SSJB Goku, and then got totally chumped by Ultra Instinct Goku.

Kafla was truly Gotenks 2.0. Nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan that was all sizzle and no stake and basically existed for the sole purposes of producing a pretty fireworks show and artificially extend the plot, before getting put in their place by the superior fighter.

But is that fair? She would have finished him off if he didn't turn main character mode again. One can't really say she was a weakling.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Didn't really that much of lasting impression when all was said and done. Her performance in battle left quite a bit to be desired. I mean, she couldn't finish off a heavily fatigued SSJG or SSJB Goku, and then got totally chumped by Ultra Instinct Goku.
To be fair, she could've finished off Goku after that kick to the neck had Goku not activated Ultra Instinct at the most convenient time.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Kafla didn't feel like a new character though, she just felt like Caulifa powered up with green hair.

Contrary to others, I thought Gotenks felt a lot different than Trunks, a lot more cockier. But Kafla was just...Caulifa hyped up. So I felt like I was just watching a powered up Caulifa.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I feel like she does actually look more and more like Caulifla the more they draw her..

I like the characters but they were in way too many episodes, and for an unnecessary amount of time considering how little they actually did (besides the fight with Goku, really didn't do much and took up 5 episodes). Considering how many other fighters there are it's just annoying to spend so much time on 2 characters (technically 3 but fusion). I'm glad they're gone, but not because I hate them, but because this tournament desperately needs new fighters that aren't just fodder. These episodes with Goku vs Caulifla/kale/Kefla made the tournament feel very small like there's no one else there.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 pm

I wish she'd gotten to do more. All the buildup from 114 and she still lost to Goku without accomplishing anything. Universe 7 is doing too well and she could've been a good threat if she'd gone up against anyone else. I mean, the best part about her (and Caulifla and Kale by extension) is the interaction with Goku, so on the one hand I feel like she had to go against him. On the other hand...god, I wish she'd taken out Freeza.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I wish she'd gotten to do more. All the buildup from 114 and she still lost to Goku without accomplishing anything. Universe 7 is doing too well and she could've been a good threat if she'd gone up against anyone else. I mean, the best part about her (and Caulifla and Kale by extension) is the interaction with Goku, so on the one hand I feel like she had to go against him. On the other hand...god, I wish she'd taken out Freeza.
Yes it would have been much better if she tried to take someone else on, but Goku had to finally finish her. it would have the same result but having more characters involved instead of only the top 5 people doing anything this whole tournament.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:41 pm

SHE'S FINALLY GONE!!!!!

It's about damn time someone threw her out of the ring and what a great throw it was, getting blown out by a massive Kamehameha to the face. No one deserved it more than her.

Now that she's gone, hopefully U2's witches will be next.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:29 am

Cetra wrote:

But is that fair? She would have finished him off if he didn't turn main character mode again. One can't really say she was a weakling.
Of course she isn't a weakling, but Goku always has to win or else he'd lose every time he meet someone stronger than him. But damn she was useless as hell, just like Vegetto, fusions are hella useless for some reason (besides Gogeta from the movie).
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:34 am

Needed more original attacks and SSJ2 didn't look that noticeably different to SSJ, but overall she was a cool fusion. I loved her body design. The muscles looked great.

Personality wise she was just a cockier Caulifla till she started freaking out at the end, but I don't mind as she's one of my favourite characters.

Not sure if we'll ever see her again. Would be interesting though. Hoping the girls and the fusion are in all future DB games.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 am

She is alright, don't get all the hate. She is very cocky because that is how fusions are.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 am

What I'm saying goes for both Caufila and Kefla, since I consider them the same character and the fusion was just a stupid gimmick to give her an even faster power up. For all intents and purposes, Kefla is Caufila.

She's the most annoying character in Dragon Ball for me, right now. She even surpassed Yajirobe, the fat fuck I've hated ever since I was 15. I hate the fact that she basically demanded that Goku would train her in order to beat him. She shows no gratitude towards a person who is actually helping her reach her true potential - she actually swears at him and claims she's beat his ass next time they meet, ignoring the fact that he willingly helped her become more powerful and was even polite towards her when they first met. I also hate the fact that despite her being a gigantic ass, no other character seems to mind her personality at all. She's rude, ungrateful, cocky and based on her choreography she gives you the impression she doesn't have the experience to back that all up.

I think the writers make her intentionally unlikeable, which gives me the hope they have a 'character growth' arc planned for her later on, like with Vegeta. We'll see.

As of now, I hate every second she's on screen, and Goku humiliating her was the best thing in episode 116.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Kafla is okay, but I rather have the girls separated.

Caulifla is already perfect on her own and Kale's development since episode 101 has been fun to see.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Now that we are done with the Caulifla and Kale saga for once and for all, I warmed up to Kafla a bit in episode 116 because at least she showed some flashy techniques and wasn't too overpowered, let alone she looked better than on episode 115 and not as overly "cute" and under-detailed, and actually went nuts instead of remaining fully arrogant while overpowered by Goku. She is still not my favorite fighter of the tournament, however, as there's only so much that I can take from smug and cocky-types.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Overall, Kefla was OK. She had a great introduction at the end of 114, a pretty awful showing in 115 with an annoying personality, and in 116 I began to warm up to her a bit. Her moves and abilities looked really cool, and the fight between her and Goku was possibly even better than Goku vs Jiren since neither Jiren or Goku could really even land a hit on each other, at least Kefla came pretty close.

Overall though she's just a worse version of Caulifla, and I have to question why they decided to have her appear now right after Goku fought Jiren, or why they decided to have this fight last 4 episodes. I feel like TOEI has made a lot of mistakes with these two girls, and I think they're solid characters but the way in which TOEI decided to handle them lead to A LOT of people hating them which is such a shame since on their own they're great characters, but I understand why people dislike them. Hopefully they'll be handled a lot better in the next arc, which will cause people to come around to them.

I feel like the hate against these two characters should be pitted more against TOEI's writing than anything, since they're great characters but they were given wrong amounts of focus which turns a lot of people off from them, and that's such a shame.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 am

What I didn't like about Kafla/Kefla is her personality... It'd have been better if she said something like this "I know I can't beat you, Goku... But I need to protect my universe, thank you for everything. Now, I'll give everything I've got!" she would be more likeable and a lot different from Caulifla. But I love her design, more than Caulifla actually, didn't like it at first but now I do and her attacks are cool.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am

As I wrote in the Ep 116 summary after watching Ep 113-116 in a row, I'm just very mixed on Kefla. I want to like her but she didn't meet my reasonable expectations. Because I wanted her to fight and eliminate someone other than Goku. That laser attack should've taken out someone but nothing happened so it feels like Kefla didn't make an impact on the proverbial scoreboard with eliminations. I wanted someone to push Goku back into UI other than Jiren and Kefla did that but sadly her character didn't create the kind of tension that Goku vs Jiren did. A battle between a SSJ2 Potara Fusion vs UI just felt mismatched to me. And this was at the point when the two were powering up that I felt this way, which is way before Kefla missed almost every punch at UI Goku.

Also part of the issue was the use of the Potara Earrings. The Zenos had said fighters could not use outside items but then the Zenos just change on a whim. Maybe I'm inflexible but I like to see consistency and certain rules followed. Then Zeno opened it up for all Universes to use the Potarra Earrings so I figured ok at least now the Kefla Fusion is somewhat fair. But overall that left me mixed.

It was difficult to gauge Kefla's power level as well. I get that Fusions are extremely strong as it's shown when kiddos Trunks and Goten who are new to SSJ are able to go SSJ3 as Gotenks and keep up with Majin Buu for a bit. But no one knows the true power of Kale's Berserk SSJ, which is a large part of where Kefla's power is derived from. We see SSJB Goku launch a Kamehameha at Berserk SSJ Kale when Kale first debuted this form and Kale is unfazed which gives us a look into her strength. But even that moment is followed by controversy as many believe "Goku wasn't trying." So to get an idea of a Potarra Fusion between Kale and Caulifla is difficult at this point, which further adds to my mixed feelings.

Lastly, the lack of variety of attacks was a bit disappointing. Vegito had the ki blasts from the fingers, the Ki sword and of course Final Kamehameha. Kefla didn't really have any cool attacks like that aside from the laser show that took out no one

EDIT: I forgot to mention I do like Kefla's artistic design. The base form is a good mix of both Kale and Caulifla. The SSJ & SSJ2 form was a bit weird with the larger eyes but still very cool
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 am

Awful character made up of 2 of the worse characters in db existence.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 am

Design wise her eyes in Super Saiyan are completely wrong, when every form of Kale and Caulifla and even base Kafla had the same kind of eyes.
I suppose they didn't want her to look too much like Kale..
Other than that she does enough for me to not be particularly bothered by her. As I mentioned in the episode thread however it seemed like the staff deliberatly stayed away from having a scene where Goku's fists or punches actually connect with the sort of impact it did, when she blocked him.
We got some zoomed out shots and the aftermath of those hits, but never an impactful shot of Goku hitting her, diminishing Goku in the process.