What do you guys think about Kafla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedHeat
Regular

Re: What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by RedHeat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
Considering Broly has been around 20 years before DBS was even a thought, it's obvious Kale was an homage to Broly and fanservice for Broly's fans.
Hmmm, that's not the way I see it. Considering she's apart of the main continuity, has a personality that isn't one-dimensional (generic is up for debate), and has a unique form, makes for the OG incarnation.
Feels over Reals.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:07 pm

RedHeat wrote:[Considering she's apart of the main continuity, has a personality that isn't one-dimensional (generic is up for debate), and has a unique form, makes for the OG incarnation.
If Broly was in the Episodes his personality wouldn't be one dimensional too. It's just natural, since Kale already has got more screentime than Broly through his 2 movies.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've been floating the idea that there were not two separate female saiyan characters but one character with two different designs. Primarily due to the similarities in the SSJ hairstyles which didnt make since for them to be so similar in different art given the differences in length. The irony of them fusing into one character when I thought they were one character all along is rather funny.
I believe thats what it is. For a while everyone thought that Caulifla was just a finalized verison of Kale

Also, Kefla is just Caulifla with an even bigger ego, I honestly see no point in Kale besides "look remember Broly??"
Kale barely shares anything with Broly, besides a form. If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
Are you sure you don't mean another word?
Anyway both Caulifa and Kale feel underdeveloped as singular characters. For instance Caulifa is outwardly arrogant while Kale questions her abilities.

An interesting single character would be a female character who outwardly displays arrogance and leadership qualities as the leader of her gang, but inwardly questions her abilities while living in her older brothers shadow.
She has great potential and when finally able to let go of her inner doubts fully realizes he potential through her LSSJ form but is initally unable to control. This causes a character crisis mid tournament in the realization that she is a monster. Her cocky attitude begins to crack showing her inner fragility, however through continuing to struggle in the tournament, the realization that her followers are counting on her she decides she must gain control of herself and emerges in her new form, confident in both her abilities and potential.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:19 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Simere wrote:100 percent to thank. :P Next, I hope he goes to work on the Namekian method. Destroy all fusions.
Well as Mikado said, it creates no reason to NOT fuse now that it's not permanent.
There was no reason not to fuse before, except pride. That was literally the only reason, because even when we still thought it to be permanent there were ways to undo it if they won. So the entire time you're watching them fight an enemy they "can't beat", you'd know things aren't that bad because they haven't resorted to fusing yet, as we know they will if it comes down to it.

The retcon fixed that. Now, for strong fighters at least, power reducing the duration makes the fusion a weak option. Now they won't fuse not (just) because of pride, but because fusion is no longer a path to power for them. And it will only get worse(read: better) the stronger they individually get. If they want to be the strongest they have to do it as individuals, as it should be.
How the hell could Namekian fusion become temporary? What, would Nail and Kami just pop out of Piccolo randomly or something?
I more meant along the lines of reducing its effectiveness as a power-up: diminishing returns, incompatible spirits, say an unfused spirit has more potential, whatever works.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Kale showed a different direction of evolution than Browlie did. Her Berserker form clearly was supposed to be a callback to Broly, but there are many aspects of her character that stand on their own.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
Considering Broly has been around 20 years before DBS was even a thought, it's obvious Kale was an homage to Broly and fanservice for Broly's fans.
Hmmm, that's not the way I see it. Considering she's apart of the main continuity, has a personality that isn't one-dimensional (generic is up for debate), and has a unique form, makes for the OG incarnation.
I don't think you understand what an homage is; and going by your profile pic it's clear that your bias is clouding your logic

In Kales first few appearances she was nothing but a R63 clone and while she has changed slightly, that doesn't mean she is the OG LSSJ by any stretch of the word. From a marketing point of view, it is VERY clear what they were doing when they made Kale: Broly is non canon but very popular character, so lets make another Saiyan with the same exact form so we can make her popular the easy way.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:It is VERY clear what they were doing when they made Kale: Broly is non canon but very popular character, so lets make another Saiyan with the same exact form so we can make her popular the easy way.
They should've just brought Broly back instead.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:It is VERY clear what they were doing when they made Kale: Broly is non canon but very popular character, so lets make another Saiyan with the same exact form so we can make her popular the easy way.
They should've just brought Broly back instead.
No, this was a smart move. Broly merch got boosted and now they have Kale and Kefla merch on top.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I don't think you understand what an homage is; and going by your profile pic it's clear that your bias is clouding your logic

In Kales first few appearances she was nothing but a R63 clone and while she has changed slightly, that doesn't mean she is the OG LSSJ by any stretch of the word. From a marketing point of view, it is VERY clear what they were doing when they made Kale: Broly is non canon but very popular character, so lets make another Saiyan with the same exact form so we can make her popular the easy way.
Stop using men of straw.

While yes, she was initially supposed to be a R63 Broly, Kale 's deviated so far from him that they're barely related besides from an aesthetic standpoint of super form (and I'm pretty sure even that doesn't function the same way).

But to bring up my point/argument, new audiences watching Dragon Ball for the first time will see Kale as the OG and not Broly. Despite him coming out well before her.
Feels over Reals.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
RedHeat wrote: Hmmm, that's not the way I see it. Considering she's apart of the main continuity, has a personality that isn't one-dimensional (generic is up for debate), and has a unique form, makes for the OG incarnation.

Stop using men of straw.

While yes, she was initially supposed to be a R63 Broly, Kale 's deviated so far from him that they're barely related besides from an aesthetic standpoint of super form (and I'm pretty sure even that doesn't function the same way).

But to bring up my point/argument, new audiences watching Dragon Ball for the first time will see Kale as the OG and not Broly. Despite him coming out well before her.
That's not how it works. That's like saying Berserk is a homage to Dark Souls because some people happened to play Dark Souls before reading/watching Berserk.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm

She's just a fan service character for the girls. Everyone needs a strong female character and she's dbs failed attempt to give us one.

Maybe they should of developed Videl back in the days so they don't have the need to shove kefla down our throats. Or make a female god or Angel much much more relevant.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
RedHeat wrote: Hmmm, that's not the way I see it. Considering she's apart of the main continuity, has a personality that isn't one-dimensional (generic is up for debate), and has a unique form, makes for the OG incarnation.

Stop using men of straw.

Thats like saying people who watch Dragon Ball see Journey to the West as a ripoff (even though that novel came out 500 years ago)

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm

She's fucking awesome, best character this arc

Makes sense since she's the fusion of the the two best new characters

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Stop using men of straw.

That's not how it works. That's like saying Berserk is a homage to Dark Souls because some people happened to play Dark Souls before reading/watching Berserk.
How is my argument a strawman? That term gets thrown around so freely it's lost meaning. We're not discussing their characters, it's factual that Kale payed homage to Broly whether you like it or not. I also said that "in her first few appearances" so your point is null.

So by that logic DB is a prequel to DBZ cause many fans saw Z first?? No, that's not how it works.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 pm

She's basically Vegetto and Gotenks put into a blender and mixed together. She's at least tolerable and fun to watch. But I honestly prefered it if when Kale and Caulfila were fighting individually.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 am

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've been floating the idea that there were not two separate female saiyan characters but one character with two different designs. Primarily due to the similarities in the SSJ hairstyles which didnt make since for them to be so similar in different art given the differences in length. The irony of them fusing into one character when I thought they were one character all along is rather funny.
I believe thats what it is. For a while everyone thought that Caulifla was just a finalized verison of Kale

Also, Kefla is just Caulifla with an even bigger ego, I honestly see no point in Kale besides "look remember Broly??"
Kale barely shares anything with Broly, besides a form. If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
That's right, she has Broly's form and all his attacks, a part from that they are very different. But Kale is definitely a Broly homage, that's a fact. Without Broly Kale wouldn't even exist you guys should know that.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 am

I like her, though as a character she's pretty much just a powered up Caulifla. And design wise.. Kale and Caulifla looked better. But I still like her lol. Wouldn't mind her being a one time character though.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 am

I actually wish the base character was just Kefla instead of having the two separately. Her design looks better and her personality seems somewhat more tolerable than them alone. Like, remember when we thought the two of them were the same character? Sorta wish that was true.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:She's basically Vegetto and Gotenks put into a blender and mixed together. She's at least tolerable and fun to watch. But I honestly prefered it if when Kale and Caulfila were fighting individually.
You nailed it on the head My Lord!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:I actually wish the base character was just Kefla instead of having the two separately. Her design looks better and her personality seems somewhat more tolerable than them alone. Like, remember when we thought the two of them were the same character? Sorta wish that was true.
The irony that she is a better character both in design and execution as one character has not been lost. It actually makes me wish the Potaras were still permanent so that they could both get their wish. Kale gets to be with Caulifa forever and Caulifa gets to be more powerful. Although probably better due to the fan writings which would develop from that..