What do you guys think about Kafla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:27 pm

I personally think she is pretty meh. Another cocky character who just wants to get stronger. Caulifla and Kale were more interesting and more unique.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by Xeogran » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Caulifla and Kale were actually fun to me. Kafla in her debut was nice too.

But with today's episode, something went wrong.

She's far too Gotenks-y for my tastes, without the fun arsenal of techniques that Gotenks had. Contrary to what people expected, she's actually rather weak for a fusion too (was losing to an almost-dead SSB Goku)

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

A more obnoxious Cauli with no trace of Kale in there. Reminded me of Gotenks but worst, at least on Gotenks case he was literally a tiny chipmunk that had us felt "well, they're kids"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Gotenks is my favorite fusion, so while I don't dislike Kalefla she does feel like a discount Gotenks who has none of the goofball techniques in tow.

I'm kinda disappointed in how little of Kale is there even visually. It's like she's Caulifla in an outfit swap and ponytail. She doesn't have Kale's eyes, skin tone, or height.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm

I hate her just as much if not more than the 2 that form her. She's uglier, louder and has less deserving screen time. If there's one thing that has ruined this arc for me it's them. They really show just how little care these writers have for the source material and the viewers they produce it for.

If it weren't for the manga (which I fully believe will fix this mess) I would've swore off this revival all together thanks to them and this arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:23 pm

I find her a waste of a potentially good character so far, though later showings might benefit my thoughts towards her, I hope.

First off, her looks. Her design while untransformed is a mixed bag because her hair changes from one shot to another, while her transformed state is OK, looking like a Broly-esque female buff SSJ Future Trunks. Her outfit is generic and doesn't stand out much as opposed to a few other female characters, and that possibly hurts her design as a whole the most. Her face could have taken a few traits off from Kale, so that she doesn't look like Caulifla after going to the hairdresser and sporting a new gym outfit.

I prefer the designs of Caulifla and Kale as independent characters whether transformed or not.

Second, her personality. Like many of us noted in the episode 115 thread, she is almost too much like Caulifla, the only difference from her that I've noticed is that she doesn't berate her opponent as much, but retains every other Caulifla characteristic and amplifies it. I wished before she first appeared that she would be a fine middle ground between Caulifla and Kale. She could have retained Caulifla's self-esteem while not being standoffish like Kale.

Even Gotenks took after Goten's whining.

Third, her moveset. She just relies on generic ki blasts and doesn't show much of a wrestling style of fighting like berserk Kale (or Broly) has shown, nor Caulifla's one named attack that she showed in episode 113. I won't judge too much on this one because her first big episode (115) had poor focus on her fight against Goku with the bad storyboarding and constant cutaways to the spectators.

"Pipe down, peanut gallery! Keep quiet!"
Last edited by Torturephile on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 pm

One of my least favorite fused character,she doesn't have the coolness factor of vegito or the goofy power up of gotenks.She is just caulifla dialed up to eleven with nothing resembling of kale personality and her design is bad as well her moveset.
    At least she is not an ABC.
    Last edited by The gr on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 pm

sintzu wrote:I hate her just as much if not more than the 2 that form her. She's uglier, louder and has less deserving screen time. If there's one thing that has ruined this arc for me it's them. They really show just how little care these writers have for the source material and the viewers they produce it for.

If it weren't for the manga (which I fully believe will fix this mess) I would've swore off this revival all together thanks to them and this arc.
    You jump to so many wild conclusions all the damn time, please stop. Is this another "figure of speech" moment, huh? You don't know the writers on a personal level to even call something like this, breaking news you aren't the only viewer, just because you don't like them does not suddenly mean "They really show just how little care these writers have for the source material and the viewers they produce it for." Ridiculous. Don't like the anime okay cool then stop watching...? I am sick of your negativity of the anime and then wanking the Manga in every damn DBS related post. We get it you like the Manga and not the anime you don't have to bring it up all the time.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:You jump to so many wild conclusions all the damn time, please stop.

You don't know the writers on a personal level to even call something like this.

Don't like the anime okay cool then stop watching...?

I am sick of your negativity of the anime and then wanking the Manga in every damn DBS related post.

We get it you like the Manga and not the anime you don't have to bring it up all the time.
    I call it how I see it.

I don't have to, their writing talks for them.

When someone watches and complains you tell them to drop it, when they don't watch you tell them to not judge what they haven't seen so there's no winning either way.

If I'm making you so sick then either block me or wait for the anime's staff to get their act together. When the anime gets things right I'm the first one to give them credit for it, even when they don't do good I sometimes give them a pass. When everyone was hating on the tournament's first episode I was the one telling them it was just starting and will get good later. The manga weather you like it or not is part of Super and deserves to be brought up and praised when possible cause unlike the anime, Toyotarou actually understands the source material and knows what he's doing.

And you don't have to jump to its defence anytime someone calls it out.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:56 pm

She seems to be universally hated, and for good reason. I like Caulifla, I like Kale, I even liked Kefla at the end of last week's episode, but this week showed how bad the character is. As others have said, she's Caulifla on steroids. Mega-steroids. Her design is boring and could have been a lot better based on the clothing they were both wearing before the fusion.

She doesn't resemble Kale at all, and doesn't really even capture Caulifla to me either just because of how much she overdoes it, Caulifla was never anywhere near this bad.

RedShift
    Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Kefla is basically a wish-fulfillment for Caulifla.

She has none of Kale's personality, barely any of her physical traits, and is less interesting than either of the girls who make up her fusion (and that's a LOW bar for me). She looks like Caulifla changed her clothes & grabbed a hair-tie & earrings on the way out the door. For all intents & purposes she's Caulifla dialed up to thirteen. Her debut episode wasnt very well choreographed nor was it well animated. She reminds me of a discount Gotenks with less personality and none of the funky attacks...

Also -I don't want to get into a power level debate here but- I think she's way too powerful. If Kefla went SSj3 I would be fine with her going head to head with SSB... But not at the lowest form of SSj. Dragonball Super decided long ago that power levels are dictated by the needs of the plot though.

Kefla could have been a really interesting fusion. The humility and raw power of Kale combined with the potential & fighting confidence of Caulifla. They could have made a really good character. Instead she's more annoying than either of the girls.

Ilikepictures-meh
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:32 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:A more obnoxious Cauli with no trace of Kale in there. Reminded me of Gotenks but worst, at least on Gotenks case he was literally a tiny chipmunk that had us felt "well, they're kids"
    I'd argue that she's actually a less obnoxious version of Caulifla. At least Kefla out right states she respects Goku and his fighting spirit when she's not boasting about her own power. Unlike Caulifla, who generally mocks everyone but Kale.

I also agree with most of the post claiming Kefla is basically Caulifla. Her personality and design takes a lot from Caulifla and leaves little to no trace of Kale's. But I don't mind it like others because I prefer Caulifla over Kale anyway.

Majin Jator
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:33 pm

It's just a power-up for Caulifla, with the difference that Caulifla has a good design (not great, but good) while Kefla not so much.
    It probably doesn't help her case to have came out of nowhere. With Merged Zamasu, there was foreshadowing since the beggining of the arc, and people is always going to get excited with the prospect of Goku and Vegeta doing a fusion.
    Many of us are far more interested in the other fights having place right now, which contributes to create a feeling of "overstaying her welcome", even for those of us that doesn't dislike the female saiyans.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
    SansrivaaL wrote:A more obnoxious Cauli with no trace of Kale in there. Reminded me of Gotenks but worst, at least on Gotenks case he was literally a tiny chipmunk that had us felt "well, they're kids"
    I'd argue that she's actually a less obnoxious version of Caulifla. At least Kefla out right states she respects Goku and his fighting spirit when she's not boasting about her own power. Unlike Caulifla, who generally mocks everyone but Kale.
    I've seen quite a few people say that Caulifla mocks her opponents, but I've never seen that. I thought it was obvious before that she has a lot of respect for Goku and looks up to him as sort of a teacher. She can be cocky and arrogant, but I don't really feel like she's someone who mocks the people she's fighting, especially if they're weaker than her.

The fact that Kefla respects Goku definitely comes from Caulifla, since as we've seen Kale isn't too privy with Goku.

Spider-Man
    Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:48 pm

I don't like her,While I do like caulifla & kale they are good character but kefla on the other hand is not,she is just a caulifla with different attires and has no resemblance to kale at all also her design is bad.

fadeddreams5
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Design-wise, I hate her SSJ form. Also, her costume. Out of all the fusions, she's the only one that doesn't give off that presence of being much more powerful than her original counterparts. Kale alone gives off a more intimidating vibe, even if she is the ultimate rip-off character.

Personality-wise, just another generic, cocky fusion. Why is every fusion cocky? Only serious one was Gogeta in the movie. Then, they ruined him in GT.

She ranks as the lamest (non-namekian) fusion in the franchise, imo.
    "Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

BrolyKale
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:11 pm

First off, her looks. Her design while untransformed is a mixed bag because her hair changes from one shot to another, while her transformed state is OK, looking like a Broly-esque female buff SSJ Future Trunks. Her outfit is generic and doesn't stand out much as opposed to a few other female characters, and that possibly hurts her design as a whole the most. Her face could have taken a few traits off from Kale, so that she doesn't look like Caulifla after going to the hairdresser and sporting a new gym outfit.
    I so agree with this.

I also want to add that Kale and Caulifla have no background or whatsoever and it makes them look so bad, they have a lot of screentime but we still don't even know why they are so close, we have no info nothing.
    Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Jigurashi
    Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:29 pm

She's meh imo. I don't like or dislike her. Just meh. I much prefer Kale. I'm neutral on Caulifla but this fusion is like Caulifla multiplied by 100.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Xeogran wrote:Caulifla and Kale were actually fun to me. Kafla in her debut was nice too.

But with today's episode, something went wrong.

She's far too Gotenks-y for my tastes, without the fun arsenal of techniques that Gotenks had. Contrary to what people expected, she's actually rather weak for a fusion too (was losing to an almost-dead SSB Goku)
    Or it's just that anyone has forgotten how powerful SSj blue is supposed to be :D

I'm perfectly fine with her performance against Goku.

Michsi
    I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Really hoped she would be different. Her appearance in 114 got me hyped, but the character failed to live up to those expectations in 115 for some reason.

As others have mentioned, there is nothing of Kale to be seen in her personality, and I found that really disappointing. She's just Caulifla with a boost and a worse ssj design.

Let's see if 116 will set things right. NEP looked good.