What do you guys think about Kafla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: What do you guys think about Kafla?

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm

She's alright,she suffers from the same problem as all other fusions. Even though they're supposed to be a combination of two different characters, you only ever really see them as just the one.

Kefla may as well just be Caulifla.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I think I still hate fusions. Although I did like the moment she regretted the fight had come to an end, then became pleased when it resumed. But so what? There's no point getting invested in a fusion character; that's what I'm thinking the entire time I'm watching them. The best I can hope for is that Caulifla and Kale, the characters actually worth caring about, retain something from the experience after it ends.

Also, I feel whoever picked that grotesque shade of green for her blasts has no taste.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm

She is one of my favorite characters from the entire franchise [also Kale and Caulifla too]. I hope she will not be knocked out of the arena in the next episode, i still want to see Kafla having a role in the ToP, and maybe, some appearances in future arcs.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:59 pm

I really wanted to like her. Episode 114 got me liking Kale and Caulifla quite a lot and when they fused at the end with their quirky little misstep, I was hyped, but 115 completely deflated the character for me. Honestly, everyone is losing their shit over how strong she is, but I find she's nowhere near as strong as I expected. I mean, how strong are we to believe SSBerserk Kale was all those episodes ago now? I keep saying this, but it just doesn't make any sense. Essentially she was, what, in between SSJ2 and SSJ3 Goku level and Goku went Blue just so he could lowball himself down to slightly stronger than SSJ2 and continue to get shit on? Jiren involved himself... uh, why exactly? Jiren's whole thing is that he doesn't sully himself with trash that Toppo can handle. Hell, Dyspo should have been able to deal with SSBerserk Kale if she's going to get even more powerful and still not be on tired God Goku's level. Really dumb, in my opinion, and Kefla suffers for it, because now the resulting fusion has a maximum power seemingly lower than Toppo. Maybe she'll be able to go Legendary Super Saiyan 2 and surge past Toppo at least, but that would mean that, if no one else, Hit and Goku SSBKKx5-10 would still be able to handle her pretty easily.

Ugh. /rant
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:55 am

BrolyKale wrote:I personally think she is pretty meh. Another cocky character who just wants to get stronger. Caulifla and Kale were more interesting and more unique.
None of them are at all unique. They are actually just cookie cutter tropes.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am

Her intro showed a lot of promise that 115 didn't fully deliver on. I don't have a problem with her personality being mostly Caulifla since she's the dominant of the two and it's hard to imagine how you can hybridise the personalities of such drastically different people. Especially since the last two episodes had Kale becoming more confident, so it wouldn't make sense for her timid personality to show in Kefla.

I guess there is the fact that Kefla freaked out when Goku started putting up a fight at the end. Say what you like about Caulifla, she didn't let strong opponents intimidate her. In fact, she relished having people around stronger than her because she could learn from them. Kefla's more maniacal behaviour suggests for all the development Kale went through these last couple of eps, there's still a bit of Broly in her. Well, that and the green hair and rockin' abs.

Regardless of my disappointment, I actually hope she survives next episode. It's nice to have another fighter in the ring who can pose a threat to Universe 7 now Hit's gone, the Pride Troopers are hobbled and the other Universe fighters have been established as low-tier. I just wish she would go up against someone else besides Goku. The matches in 113 and 114 had a point because it helped Goku build himself up to fighting shape, while it helped the girls develop to the point where they could fuse. Now there's no point having them fight as equals since we know Goku has to make it to round 2 with Jiren. She should survive the fight and go up against Freeza. His power's been wasted up to now, he needs a decent final boss and an uppity Saiyan would be the perfect candidate.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 am

I've been floating the idea that there were not two separate female saiyan characters but one character with two different designs. Primarily due to the similarities in the SSJ hairstyles which didnt make since for them to be so similar in different art given the differences in length. The irony of them fusing into one character when I thought they were one character all along is rather funny. Especially because I always felt like as individual characters they were incomplete. One thing I will say is that she feels like a more complete character now, although still not fully formed. If would have liked to have seen her take a more leadership oriented role but I guess that't not really going to happen.

Anyway I blame Toyotaro for this mess. The reveal of his idea to bring back fusion and Toriyama adding the time limit has gotten us in this mess where the characters are going to need a really convincing reason to not use fusion for everything.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am

TheMikado wrote:Anyway I blame Toyotaro for this mess. The reveal of his idea to bring back fusion and Toriyama adding the time limit has gotten us in this mess where the characters are going to need a really convincing reason to not use fusion for everything.
Toriyama had already added the time limit before Toyotaro's idea to bring in Vegetto.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am

Simere wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Anyway I blame Toyotaro for this mess. The reveal of his idea to bring back fusion and Toriyama adding the time limit has gotten us in this mess where the characters are going to need a really convincing reason to not use fusion for everything.
Toriyama had already added the time limit before Toyotaro's idea to bring in Vegetto.
Uh, I don't think he did. What reason would he have even had to add that rule in that case?

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Simere wrote:
Uh, I don't think he did. What reason would he have even had to add that rule in that case?
To give Merged Zamasu a weakness.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 am

Simere wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Simere wrote:
I don't remember if merged Zamasu was Toriyama's idea either. I thought Zamasu was supposed to be weak but unbeatable because of his immortality.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 am

TheMikado wrote:
Simere wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Uh, I don't think he did. What reason would he have even had to add that rule in that case?
I don't remember if merged Zamasu was Toriyama's idea either. I thought Zamasu was supposed to be weak but unbeatable because of his immortality.
Were there any other difficult points?

Toyotarō: [Merged] Zamasu actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 am

Simere wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Simere wrote:
Were there any other difficult points?

Toyotarō: [Merged] Zamasu actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft.
Ok, so Toriyama is 100% to blame for this shitty potara time limit then. Good to know.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 am

100 percent to thank. :P Next, I hope he goes to work on the Namekian method. Destroy all fusions.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am

Simere wrote:100 percent to thank. :P Next, I hope he goes to work on the Namekian method. Destroy all fusions.
Well as Mikado said, it creates no reason to NOT fuse now that it's not permanent.

How the hell could Namekian fusion become temporary? What, would Nail and Kami just pop out of Piccolo randomly or something?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:55 am

TheMikado wrote:I've been floating the idea that there were not two separate female saiyan characters but one character with two different designs. Primarily due to the similarities in the SSJ hairstyles which didnt make since for them to be so similar in different art given the differences in length. The irony of them fusing into one character when I thought they were one character all along is rather funny.
I believe thats what it is. For a while everyone thought that Caulifla was just a finalized verison of Kale

Also, Kefla is just Caulifla with an even bigger ego, I honestly see no point in Kale besides "look remember Broly??"

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've been floating the idea that there were not two separate female saiyan characters but one character with two different designs. Primarily due to the similarities in the SSJ hairstyles which didnt make since for them to be so similar in different art given the differences in length. The irony of them fusing into one character when I thought they were one character all along is rather funny.
I believe thats what it is. For a while everyone thought that Caulifla was just a finalized verison of Kale

Also, Kefla is just Caulifla with an even bigger ego, I honestly see no point in Kale besides "look remember Broly??"
Kale barely shares anything with Broly, besides a form. If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
Feels over Reals.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

RedHeat wrote:If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
Considering Broly has been around 20 years before DBS was even a thought, it's obvious Kale was an homage to Broly and fanservice for Broly's fans.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Kale barely shares anything with Broly, besides a form. If anything, Broly is a Kale homage.
That actually makes no sense in the slightest. Broly can't be a homage to a character that didn't exist yet.