The 1 year anniversary of Episode 66

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: The 1 year anniversary of Episode 66

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I believe i speak for all of us when i say that we expected more of SSJ Blue Vegetto. And these expectations were sadly not delivered. Omni-King blowing up the entire timeline was freaking cool though!
Eh, I was kind of glad really. Giving the Potara time limit, had Vegetto overpowered Zamasu and only lost 'cuz hey timed/energied out then it makes feel worse, like Vegetto would have won if not for the time limit. Whereas what we got the time limit didn't matter in the end since Vegetto never really had the upperhand.
Well the fact that there is a time limit doesn't really bother me all that much. What did bother me however, is the fact that in reality it only took like 5 minutes of screentime (give or take). And that's what got people mad and dissapointed. And he wasn't completely dominating Merged Zamasu either. Unlike the Manga.

It was just far too short of a comeback for Fans to at least be able to feel "satisfied" with his presence.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 am

It was a spectacular episode, watching it was what got me really invested in Super. There are some classic moments in it that I still go back to watch on a semi-regular basis. Zamasu's epic "SON GOOOKUUUU"*, Trunks getting the kill and Vegetto's big fight. I know a few aspects of the episode annoy people, but I was satisfied by the sheer spectacle of it, and it was awesome to see Trunks get his much-earned win.

Shame about 67, tho.

EDIT: if the dub is going to get one moment of using Goku's full name again like they did with Kai, please let it be that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I believe i speak for all of us when i say that we expected more of SSJ Blue Vegetto. And these expectations were sadly not delivered. Omni-King blowing up the entire timeline was freaking cool though!
Eh, I was kind of glad really. Giving the Potara time limit, had Vegetto overpowered Zamasu and only lost 'cuz hey timed/energied out then it makes feel worse, like Vegetto would have won if not for the time limit. Whereas what we got the time limit didn't matter in the end since Vegetto never really had the upperhand.
Well the fact that there is a time limit doesn't really bother me all that much. What did bother me however, is the fact that in reality it only took like 5 minutes of screentime (give or take). And that's what got people mad and dissapointed. And he wasn't completely dominating Merged Zamasu either. Unlike the Manga.

It was just far too short of a comeback for Fans to at least be able to feel "satisfied" with his presence.
Fair enough, personally speaking I never wanted Vegetto back and the fact I don't like when protagonists have one sided fights is probably why I wasn't too bothered.

One thing about Vegetto that did bother me though was the inconsistently drawn bangs. I dislike when he's drawn with thick central bangs.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Eh, I was kind of glad really. Giving the Potara time limit, had Vegetto overpowered Zamasu and only lost 'cuz hey timed/energied out then it makes feel worse, like Vegetto would have won if not for the time limit. Whereas what we got the time limit didn't matter in the end since Vegetto never really had the upperhand.

Fair enough, personally speaking I never wanted Vegetto back and the fact I don't like when protagonists have one sided fights is probably why I wasn't too bothered.

One thing about Vegetto that did bother me though was the inconsistently drawn bangs. I dislike when he's drawn with thick central bangs.
That, and his outfit. Seriously, why was he wearing his Buu Saga outfit, and not a piece of Vegeta's armor, and where was the Go symbol from Goku's gi? (Also, am i the only person who noticed that?)
Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Ah. What an episode. It was the epitome of a fireworks show. Just don't think about how it happens and enjoy the spectacle.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Aw this episode,is really a firework show with nonesense with a lot of entertainment.
Mostly active on discord.

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 pm

All of this was the same episode? Man I gotta stop smoking :lol:

Definitely going to be one of my favorites to rewatch after the series, all logic aside, it was fun.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 am

I'm probably one of the few who didn't care much for Vegetto returning. His characterisation largely reflected the arrogance and single-mindedness that's come to define particular Saiyans. Love him or hate him, Zamasu did bring up some valid points about ningen appropriating the power of deities for their own personal use. It all just went through one ear and out the other with his present company, unfortunately. It's one of the most glaringly hypocritical moments of the protagonist in Super, in my opinion. The fusion and the individual characters are all dependent on that aforementioned power being combined with their genetical transformations for survival and personal gratification. To be honest, I found myself rooting for Zamasu during that bout with Vegetto -- partly because he acknowledged some attribute flaws of our heroes that we know Toei isn't liable to address at any future date.

Everything else about the episode like the created time limit for Potara, Trunks even being within arm's reach of Zamasu without being obliterated on the spot, and the Spirit Bomb inspired climactic fight all gave a bad impression with me. I wasn't particularly receptive of a lot of it. I did respect Trunks' sincerity and the fact that he bothered to wage war on Zamasu on an ideological level and not just physically, unlike Vegetto. However, those scant moments fail to really give the episode much definition, in my opinion. I found greater satisfaction in the early parts of the arc when Zamasu was only bringing up the nature of ningen with Gowasu before his hasty descent into perversely sadistic ideology.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:One year ago today, one of the most controversial episodes of Dragon Ball Super aired in Japan. That episode was Super Episode 66. You know, the episode with the Goku vs Zamasu beam struggle, Vegetto (for 10 minutes), and the Genki-Dama Sword scene. That episode. And on this thread, we're gonna be I guess "celebrating" it's 1 year anniversary.
I forgot about that it has been a year! Man this arc is much longer than the last: 38 episodes(currently) compared to 20 for the Trunks arc.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:37 pm

This episode made me mad at first, then calmed me down, then made me feel awkard about it and then made me end up loving it.

Well, god damn it super.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I still think it was overall the best episode of Super so far.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:02 pm

A freaking 11/10 episode.

That Vegetto's introduction still gives me the chills and even though the fight was short, I like SSB Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu more than Vegetto vs Buuhan. Shida's beautiful cut helped.
Then you have Miki's flawless performance as Merged Zamasu and the beautiful ending with FT Trunks. A Mortal slicing a God, just like that God sliced a Mortal in the beginning.

All of that in the same episode felt rushed, but it was definitely a blast!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Oh I was so hyped. I was excited to see where things were going. And it was so much fun yet so angering at the same time! That Potara retcon was completely unnecessary, though now that we know that Toriyama never planned to have Vegito and that was a Toei idea, it makes a little more sense.

The Trunks arc for Super was a really weird time for the show. Both for the anime and the manga. On one hand, we got zero explanation for transformations and a ridiculous ending, yet in the manga we got kaioshin apprentice Trunks, Goku using the Hakai, and a merged Zamasu throwing katchin blocks and stealing abilities from Janemba.