The 1 year anniversary of Episode 66

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

The 1 year anniversary of Episode 66

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

One year ago today, one of the most controversial episodes of Dragon Ball Super aired in Japan. That episode was Super Episode 66. You know, the episode with the Goku vs Zamasu beam struggle, Vegetto (for 10 minutes), and the Genki-Dama Sword scene. That episode. And on this thread, we're gonna be I guess "celebrating" it's 1 year anniversary.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: The 1 year anniversary of Episode 66

Post by Xeogran » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 pm

That was SUPER hype. Like the most hype DBS episode has ever been.

I never thought I could ever witness a new Vegetto episode live (I wasn't even born at the time of his first appearance :lol: )

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:One year ago today, one of the most controversial episodes of Dragon Ball Super aired in Japan.
Remake this thread in a week and you'll be on the dot.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Ah, so many good memories of such a entertaining episode.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 pm

*Gets Nam flashbacks to the writing of it*

Ah, there's that migrane.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:57 pm

The day fusion was sentenced to death. :thumbup:

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Whilst I would enjoy consistent power scaling, if something is entertaining I am willing to allow power discrepancies

Trunks slicing Zamasu was hype.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm

That was the episode i most enjoyed in DBS. I was watching it live without subtitles, and my heart raced a lot. First i was disappointed by Vegetto defusing, but Trunks just made the episode look great.

Also, yesterday on CN Brazil it aired the last episodes from the Black/Zamasu arc dubbed in Portuguese, and it was cool to watch it again.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Zeno erasing Future Trunks timeline was a very powerful scene, it's the first time something tragic happened that was irreversible. Possibly the first arc where there's no happy ending at all, everything was in vain.

Like or hate, Future Trunks arc is very unique for Dragon Ball. Heroes don't always prevail
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Individuals expressing their dislike of a scene with poorly-written forum and social media posts generally consisting of the word "asspull" over and over does not actually make something "controversial".

Blue being portrayed as a pedophile is "controversial". Popo in blackface speaking in fractured sentences is "controversial".

"I don't like the energy sword" does not a controversy make.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Probably one of the greatest examples of a "turn off your brain and enjoy" episode.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 am

It wasn't the greatest thing logic wise but its production overall was really good. I wish we would've gotten more Vegetto though.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 am

VegettoEX wrote:Individuals expressing their dislike of a scene with poorly-written forum and social media posts generally consisting of the word "asspull" over and over does not actually make something "controversial".

Blue being portrayed as a pedophile is "controversial". Popo in blackface speaking in fractured sentences is "controversial".

Okay wait, how does one even portray an inanimate thing like a Super Saiyan transformation as a pedophile? I don't... huh?

Anyhow, "I don't like the energy sword" is very much oversimplifying it. The reason it's controversial is because from a writing stand point, it makes absolutely no sense, and felt like hardcore fanservice to try and write themselves out of a corner. That's one view. The other view is from people who don't care about how nonsensical the episode, or that scene in particular, is. Instead, they enjoy the episode and the spirit sword because quite frankly, it looked pretty fucking cool, and gives the win to Trunks, a character who has been losing literally all his life no matter how hard he tries (at least he wins until episode 67, where he loses harder than he's ever lost before.) It's the significance behind the scene and what it all culminates in, not the writing. There's also the whole controversy (yes, it's definitely a controversy) regarding the retcon of Vegetto.

These two different view points of the episode, and the scene, is where the controversy stems from.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 am

I believe i speak for all of us when i say that we expected more of SSJ Blue Vegetto. And these expectations were sadly not delivered. Omni-King blowing up the entire timeline was freaking cool though!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 am

Asura wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Individuals expressing their dislike of a scene with poorly-written forum and social media posts generally consisting of the word "asspull" over and over does not actually make something "controversial".

Okay wait, how does one even portray an inanimate thing like a Super Saiyan transformation as a pedophile? I don't... huh?

Anyhow, "I don't like the energy sword" is very much oversimplifying it. The reason it's controversial is because from a writing stand point, it makes absolutely no sense, and felt like hardcore fanservice to try and write themselves out of a corner. That's one view. The other view is from people who don't care about how nonsensical the episode, or that scene in particular, is. Instead, they enjoy the episode and the spirit sword because quite frankly, it looked pretty fucking cool, and gives the win to Trunks, a character who has been losing literally all his life no matter how hard he tries (at least he wins until episode 67, where he loses harder than he's ever lost before.) It's the significance behind the scene and what it all culminates in, not the writing. There's also the whole controversy (yes, it's definitely a controversy) regarding the retcon of Vegetto.

These two different view points of the episode, and the scene, is where the controversy stems from.
I think he's talking about General Blue from the Red Ribbon Army arc. He should perhaps have clarified that better. I immediately assumed he was talking about SSJ Blue aswell. Because hey! Blue! That word can usually mean only one thing! In Super at least.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Asura wrote:

I think he's talking about General Blue from the Red Ribbon Army arc. He should perhaps have clarified that better. I immediately assumed he was talking about SSJ Blue aswell. Because hey! Blue! That word can usually mean only one thing! In Super at least.
That got a chuckle out of me. Admittedly, I was also fooled by his wording at first.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Asura wrote:

Oooooooo okay that makes a lot more sense. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 am

Now for the few things I actually disliked about this ep that nobody talks about:

Vegetto's Sword Beam without the classy SFX from Z era just isn't the same.

Vegetto Blue didn't feel to be dominating the fight, even though he should. His Manga presence felt much more powerful.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:I believe i speak for all of us when i say that we expected more of SSJ Blue Vegetto. And these expectations were sadly not delivered. Omni-King blowing up the entire timeline was freaking cool though!
Eh, I was kind of glad really. Giving the Potara time limit, had Vegetto overpowered Zamasu and only lost 'cuz hey timed/energied out then it makes feel worse, like Vegetto would have won if not for the time limit. Whereas what we got the time limit didn't matter in the end since Vegetto never really had the upperhand.