What happened to God/Divine Ki?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

What happened to God/Divine Ki?

Post by Xeztin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm

This Ki played a very important role with SSG and a bit of one with Blue. What happened to it? We were pushed to the expression that this Ki opened up new levels to mortal Saiyans yet, people who do not have it such as Freeza and Kefla can push Blue to the limit even to Kaioken. No one mentions it anymore either, not even Beerus or Whis. Was it forgotten about? I doubt that Ultra Instinct runs off God Ki as it seems to be obtainable by anyone. Was God Ki just an excuse at that time to give Goku a new form and recolor? The pattern seems to be repeating, we have SSG (Base) and SSJB (SSJ) and now we have UI (Base) and possibly a recolored Super Saiyan that will be introduced soon since UI has "Omen" in its name.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What happened to God/Divine Ki?

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Xeztin wrote:This Ki played a very important role with SSG and a bit of one with Blue. What happened to it? We were pushed to the expression that this Ki opened up new levels to mortal Saiyans yet, people who do not have it such as Freeza and Kefla can push Blue to the limit even to Kaioken. No one mentions it anymore either, not even Beerus or Whis. Was it forgotten about? I doubt that Ultra Instinct runs off God Ki as it seems to be obtainable by anyone. Was God Ki just an excuse at that time to give Goku a new form and recolor? The pattern seems to be repeating, we have SSG (Base) and SSJB (SSJ) and now we have UI (Base) and possibly a recolored Super Saiyan that will be introduced soon since UI has "Omen" in its name.
I don’t understand... Does something have to be constantly brought up so we can be assured they haven’t forgotten about it? I don’t think so. God Ki is fairly new and most likely haven’t been forgotten about. People though Ultra Instinct was forgotten about because it wasn’t mentioned in a while but look at it now, being central in this arc. People thought Bra was forgotten about but look, she’s been birthed. In the manga, Toppo was just confirmed to have God Ki. It’s not forgotten about.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Meshack wrote:
Xeztin wrote:This Ki played a very important role with SSG and a bit of one with Blue. What happened to it? We were pushed to the expression that this Ki opened up new levels to mortal Saiyans yet, people who do not have it such as Freeza and Kefla can push Blue to the limit even to Kaioken. No one mentions it anymore either, not even Beerus or Whis. Was it forgotten about? I doubt that Ultra Instinct runs off God Ki as it seems to be obtainable by anyone. Was God Ki just an excuse at that time to give Goku a new form and recolor? The pattern seems to be repeating, we have SSG (Base) and SSJB (SSJ) and now we have UI (Base) and possibly a recolored Super Saiyan that will be introduced soon since UI has "Omen" in its name.
I don’t understand... Does something have to be constantly brought up so we can be assured they haven’t forgotten about it? I don’t think so. God Ki is fairly new and most likely haven’t been forgotten about. People though Ultra Instinct was forgotten about because it wasn’t mentioned in a while but look at it now, being central in this arc. People thought Bra was forgotten about but look, she’s been birthed. In the manga, Toppo was just confirmed to have God Ki. It’s not forgotten about.
It's still there but hasn't been full developed yet. Maybe later we could learn more about God/Divine Ki.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Meshack wrote:
It's still there but hasn't been full developed yet. Maybe later we could learn more about God/Divine Ki.
What is there to develop? It’s the Ki (energy) of the gods. A normal human cannot sense God Ki.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 pm

I get what he's saying. Like the OP said, god ki was something that was introduced as a barrier between mortals and gods. Mortals couldn't reach the level of gods because they had god ki, a new type of ki so different that mortals can't even sense it. But now that is being ignored and everyone seems to be able to break the mortal level and reach godhood without ever becoming divine.

If you want my dry opinion on why this change happened its because that initial idea got in the way of the plot so they just ignored it. If they continued down that path then Super would be only be about Goku vs gods and divinty.

I dont mind myself just cause godki came off as a huge recton anyway. We were already introduced to the Kais and they were already weaker than the saiyans and had their asses handed to them by Buu.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:I get what he's saying. Like the OP said, god ki was something that was introduced as a barrier between mortals and gods. Mortals couldn't reach the level of gods because they had god ki, a new type of ki so different that mortals can't even sense it. But now that is being ignored and everyone seems to be able to break the mortal level and reach godhood without ever becoming divine.

If you want my dry opinion on why this change happened its because that initial idea got in the way of the plot so they just ignored it. If they continued down that path then Super would be only be about Goku vs gods and divinty.

I dont mind myself just cause godki came off as a huge recton anyway. We were already introduced to the Kais and they were already weaker than the saiyans and had their asses handed to them by Buu.
Well, in the manga, God Ki is fully relevant. It is stated in Chapter 29 that God and Blue are leagues above Gokuh’s previous forms and Toppo has God Ki. It’s not ignored. The anime is just a clustered mess and the million writers don’t piece things together like Toyotarou does

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I see "god ki" as a way of managing the ki, like it is done by the angels, GoD, and kaioshins. It doesn't mean that you are strong just for having god kid [look at Shin, probably Krilin is stronger than him]. A way which you contain your ki inside your body, without leaking it, having only a "pressure" signature that can be felt by others. This is what i understood from DBS about god ki, and to me this is clear and perfect, i don't think that there is more to be developed about this. We have the transformations, as saiyans transform to use these techniques [god ki, ultra instinct] and this will not change, i think.

Ultra Instinct seems to me as a way of managing your body during a fight.

I don't know if when Goku is transformed into UI"O" he also is using god ki at the same time... but i would like that he isn't, and that after learning how to use both god ki and UI, he gets another transformation [maybe some 2-5 arcs from here].

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Kanious wrote:I see "god ki" as a way of managing the ki, like it is done by the angels, GoD, and kaioshins. It doesn't mean that you are strong just for having god kid [look at Shin, probably Krilin is stronger than him]. A way which you contain your ki inside your body, without leaking it, having only a "pressure" signature that can be felt by others. This is what i understood from DBS about god ki, and to me this is clear and perfect, i don't think that there is more to be developed about this. We have the transformations, as saiyans transform to use these techniques [god ki, ultra instinct] and this will not change, i think.

I don't know if when Goku is transformed into UI"O" he also is using god ki at the same time... but i would like that he isn't, and that after learning how to use both god ki and UI, he gets another transformation [maybe some 2-5 arcs from here].
People have lovely head canon explanations but they usually arent ever true.

As much as this could work it conflicts the actual story and info we've been given. For example, Goku first gained god ki through a ritual by pure hearted saiyans that made him divine. Without any training or anything else you're implying he went from being one shotted in ss3 form by Beerus finger to so massively fast that he couldn't keep up with his own movements.

But like I said this established a bar that was too high so it was ignored and now kuririn, 17, Gohan etc can all keep up with blue that was such an exponential leap over Gokus ss3 form. So..whatever I guess. *shrugs* thats super, eat popcorn and dont think about it.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Kanious wrote:I see "god ki" as a way of managing the ki, like it is done by the angels, GoD, and kaioshins. It doesn't mean that you are strong just for having god kid [look at Shin, probably Krilin is stronger than him]. A way which you contain your ki inside your body, without leaking it, having only a "pressure" signature that can be felt by others. This is what i understood from DBS about god ki, and to me this is clear and perfect, i don't think that there is more to be developed about this. We have the transformations, as saiyans transform to use these techniques [god ki, ultra instinct] and this will not change, i think.

Kulilin is definitely not stronger than Shin

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:

People have lovely head canon explanations but they usually arent ever true.

As much as this could work it conflicts the actual story and info we've been given. For example, Goku first gained god ki through a ritual by pure hearted saiyans that made him divine. Without any training or anything else you're implying he went from being one shotted in ss3 form by Beerus finger to so massively fast that he couldn't keep up with his own movements.

But like I said this established a bar that was too high so it was ignored and now kuririn, 17, Gohan etc can all keep up with blue that was such an exponential leap over Gokus ss3 form. So..whatever I guess. *shrugs* thats super, eat popcorn and dont think about it.
The reason why SSG Goku stood a chance against Beerus was because the form itself gives you an enormous power boost, not because it gives you god ki.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:36 pm

I still want to know how Kami and Dende actually even got it.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:56 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:I still want to know how Kami and Dende actually even got it.
And why Piccolo could sense it in the Buu arc but can't in Super.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-