So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 am

sintzu wrote:Vegeta and Toppo are the 2nd strongest characters of their universe yet their fight is taking a back seat to Goku's and that witch so even if there was someone left, it doesn't mean we'll see much of it.
You actually think that both current background fights are not going to be shown properly eventually?

sintzu
Banned

Re: So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:00 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:You actually think that both current background fights are not going to be shown properly eventually?
What I think will happen is we'll get to see half an episode for each's ending. I hope I'm wrong but that's how things have been since it started, Goku gets the big fights while everything else happens in the background.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 am

Gohan's unique in that for all the hype of his comeback in this arc, his focus episodes in the tournament haven't been...fanservicey like the others. His first big moment was in 103 where after a token fight with Botamo, he had a solidly impressive duel with Obuni that would've been a high note to end on for a lowkey player like 18 or Tien. Except it had the misfortune of being the last Universe 10 fighter, so instead of getting an "epic fight", he was left with the guilt of wiping out an entire Universe, taking out a fellow family man no less, and having to suck it up and move on.

He spent most of 106 hiding with Piccolo, while Goku, Vegeta and Tien did all the cool stuff. 108 again started off with him losing to Jimize and having to work with Freeza, with the implication that had Gohan misread the situation, he would have been eliminated. Now he's fighting the Namekians with Piccolo, which is the closest thing to a "cool" fight he's been in so far, but it ultimately can't be that important because they keep cutting away from it.

Basically, the theme with Gohan is that while everybody else is having fun and getting cool moments, he's the one dealing with the tougher aspects of the tournament. He's the conscience. Which is why I pitched that it would be a fitting end if Goku, the one who instigated the tournament to have fun, and who has had everything go his way, actually lose to Jiren in the end. Then Gohan would be forced to take up the mantle for the finale the way he did in the Cell games, only this time it's not because he's the only one who can win, but because he's the only one looking at the bigger picture.

That's just my fanfic pitch, i have no idea what they're going to do with him. People were saying Gohan wouldn't be strong enough to even survive Jiren if it came to that, but I would counter that's what would make it dramatic. We'd be rooting for him to survive because we know he can't win. Almost like "survival" is meant to be a theme of the arc or something.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: Dyspo ran away from Final Form Frieza so I don't really consider him one of the top tier anymore. Hit should have finished him.

The Bugs are twins and Universe 7 also have a pair of twins so I don't think that is Gohan's fight.

I think Piccolo and Gohan will fight the Namekians and then they will probably fight Universe 3.
He doesnt need to be a top tier to give Gohan his big fight.

Why does being a twin guarantee them fighting another twin in another universe? that doesnt make sense, more so there's a high chance 18's gonna go byebye on ep 119, her injury doesnt seem that mild for her to continue whoopin ass.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

Either Dyspo or Paparoni or Lavanra
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 am

SansrivaaL wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Dyspo ran away from Final Form Frieza so I don't really consider him one of the top tier anymore. Hit should have finished him.

The Bugs are twins and Universe 7 also have a pair of twins so I don't think that is Gohan's fight.

I think Piccolo and Gohan will fight the Namekians and then they will probably fight Universe 3.
He doesnt need to be a top tier to give Gohan his big fight.

Why does being a twin guarantee them fighting another twin in another universe? that doesnt make sense, more so there's a high chance 18's gonna go byebye on ep 119, her injury doesnt seem that mild for her to continue whoopin ass.
If the fighter isn't 'top tier' thrn his fanboys and fangirls will not be happy and we will get non-stop posts and threads like this one.

They shouldn't be worried about who he faces but worry about him getting a decent fight.

I think the Androids will face the Bugs but that does not mean I think they will win the fight r survive the fight. Frieza can always come in and clean up since he isn't doing much.
Kataphrut wrote:He spent most of 106 hiding with Piccolo, while Goku, Vegeta and Tien did all the cool stuff. 108 again started off with him losing to Jimize and having to work with Freeza, with the implication that had Gohan misread the situation, he would have been eliminated. Now he's fighting the Namekians with Piccolo, which is the closest thing to a "cool" fight he's been in so far, but it ultimately can't be that important because they keep cutting away from it.
Vegeta vs Toppo is also being treated the same way so I don't really understand the point here since it is suppose to be a battle royale.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am

I think the opening post is overly seriously predicting what the main fights are going to be and making the ideals of what power levels are now set in stone. Honestly this is jumping fast to, to many conclusions, most of these fights have been taking allot of us by surprise on both power and the randomness of them happening and in the levels they achieve.

We really don't know the max powerlevels/skills yet of U3, U2 and U4 yet and we certainly don't know who will be battling who to what victory or lose yet. All we can do is guess at this point, their are not certainties in any of this.

This is espically in Gohan's max power level and skill he might achieve and who he might end-up against on a higher plan of battle. The story is giving us guesses right now but we are going to be more suprised the certain as each episodes move on. The only certainty is that was we are certain of now will be mis-judgments down the road on the hill of mis-judgments the fandom already has given on ToP outcomes.

At this point we really don't know what Toei will do Yet, all Gohan fans can do is Hope for a Increasing Good Representation by his character and what may come down the road. :arrow:

Letting the story play out, Every Fighter is still up for Grabs in being Both Impressive, in what they can do and espically who they will fight. :idea:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: If the fighter isn't 'top tier' thrn his fanboys and fangirls will not be happy and we will get non-stop posts and threads like this one.

They shouldn't be worried about who he faces but worry about him getting a decent fight.

I think the Androids will face the Bugs but that does not mean I think they will win the fight r survive the fight. Frieza can always come in and clean up since he isn't doing much.
What does that have to do with my post? what I said is my take on what I think can happen, not for the whole fandom.

Which means what I said can still happen, I dont see why the androids possibly fighting the bugs diminishes Gohan having a possibility of fighting them as well as he is still one of the strongest in the team.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:He spent most of 106 hiding with Piccolo, while Goku, Vegeta and Tien did all the cool stuff. 108 again started off with him losing to Jimize and having to work with Freeza, with the implication that had Gohan misread the situation, he would have been eliminated. Now he's fighting the Namekians with Piccolo, which is the closest thing to a "cool" fight he's been in so far, but it ultimately can't be that important because they keep cutting away from it.
Vegeta vs Toppo is also being treated the same way so I don't really understand the point here since it is suppose to be a battle royale.
Oh, I have other reasons to dismiss that fight, that was just the quickest way to do it because I was trying to make other points.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun fight but it doesn't scream "final boss" to me. Maybe for Piccolo, but I feel like Gohan as a main character in this arc has bigger fish to fry. Those Namekians had no buildup, don't show much personality and while the focus has been on Universe 6 lately, all the emphasis is on Caulifla and Kale as the important ones from their team. That suggests whatever happens in their fight, it isn't going to be part of the climax. But, I could be wrong.

To be honest, I'm not that keen on Vegeta vs Toppo either. The "second fiddle" bit was a fun meta-joke, but outside of that they have no chemistry and nothing to build on. I feel like Toppo should have gone to either Freeza (superhero vs supervillain) or Gohan himself (team leader, focused on survival, mutual love of spandex).

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 am

Kataphrut wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Oh, I have other reasons to dismiss that fight, that was just the quickest way to do it because I was trying to make other points.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun fight but it doesn't scream "final boss" to me. Maybe for Piccolo, but I feel like Gohan as a main character in this arc has bigger fish to fry. Those Namekians had no buildup, don't show much personality and while the focus has been on Universe 6 lately, all the emphasis is on Caulifla and Kale as the important ones from their team. That suggests whatever happens in their fight, it isn't going to be part of the climax. But, I could be wrong.

To be honest, I'm not that keen on Vegeta vs Toppo either. The "second fiddle" bit was a fun meta-joke, but outside of that they have no chemistry and nothing to build on. I feel like Toppo should have gone to either Freeza (superhero vs supervillain) or Gohan himself (team leader, focused on survival, mutual love of spandex).
That is the problem this thread is saying and that is there is not really many strong fighters left.

If Vegeta doesn't fight Toppo then all he gets is a beating from Jiren.

With both fights why would Toei keep them going on in the background if they won't mean something apart from keeping Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan busy. They are both technically the longest fights now.
SansrivaaL wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: If the fighter isn't 'top tier' thrn his fanboys and fangirls will not be happy and we will get non-stop posts and threads like this one.

What does that have to do with my post? what I said is my take on what I think can happen, not for the whole fandom.

Which means what I said can still happen, I dont see why the androids possibly fighting the bugs diminishes Gohan having a possibility of fighting them as well as he is still one of the strongest in the team.
It would make more sense to fight Universe 3.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:48 am

unfortunately i don't think toriyama wrote any big role for gohan. toei is probably doing fanservice by giving gohan the screentime they did before and during the tournament.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:55 am

Why's everyone acting like Obuni never existed ? He gave a pretty good challenge ? Why is everyone acting like Gohan needs something bigger than that when he's been sidelined the entire series ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 am

kinisking wrote:Why's everyone acting like Obuni never existed ? He gave a pretty good challenge ? Why is everyone acting like Gohan needs something bigger than that when he's been sidelined the entire series ?
Cell fight. Gohan is the one and only character in the entire franchise to replace Goku and defeat the final villain of the arc, and until BOG, held the position of strongest fighter in terms of raw power among the fandom. Compared to that, his fight with Obuni is less than memorable.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am

Michsi wrote:
kinisking wrote:Why's everyone acting like Obuni never existed ? He gave a pretty good challenge ? Why is everyone acting like Gohan needs something bigger than that when he's been sidelined the entire series ?
Cell fight. Gohan is the one and only character in the entire franchise to replace Goku and defeat the final villain of the arc, and until BOG, held the position of strongest fighter in terms of raw power among the fandom. Compared to that, his fight with Obuni is less than memorable.
Yes, but that was then and this is now. Has super not made it obvious that he won't be getting that treatment anymore ? He had a fight where he struggled, but still over came it. I think that should be considered good enough at this point. I don't see why people are complaining so much when he's been treated with a lot of respect this arc. The only time I didn't like his treatment was 106.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am

BlueVegerot wrote:unfortunately i don't think toriyama wrote any big role for gohan. toei is probably doing fanservice by giving gohan the screentime they did before and during the tournament.
I think the same thing and as usual it will be about Goku.
Michsi wrote:
That shouldn't really be taken into consideration as Goku is the focus here. I doubt anyone apart from Goku will get a fight like that again.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am

kinisking wrote:Yes, but that was then and this is now. Has super not made it obvious that he won't be getting that treatment anymore ? He had a fight where he struggled, but still over came it. I think that should be considered good enough at this point. I don't see why people are complaining so much when he's been treated with a lot of respect this arc. The only time I didn't like his treatment was 106.
I'm genuinely surprised you consider that enough. I guess you weren't asking for too much after all.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 am

I still haven't gotten over the fact that Gohan, who was the strongest saiyan at the end of DBZ, now is the WEAKEST adult saiyan in U7 (that is, among the still living ones). Goku, Vegeta and Trunks are all stronger than Gohan. It's such an enormous difference from how things were back in DBZ, and back when Gohan, regardless of whether he was the most skilled fighter or won the most battles, was indesputably the one with the most raw power.

And for a while, this demotion of Gohan compared to some of the other saiyan characters could be justified with the whole God-ki stuff, but then Trunks came along to show that having God-ki is not necassary to achieve enough power to compare with saiyans who do have God-ki. And even if Trunks never did acchieve a power truly comparable to Goku and Vegeta, he nevertheless sure as hell surpassed Gohan. Just say that to yourself one more time; Trunks, friggin TRUNKS of all people, managed to reach a power level far beyond that of Gohan, and he did it even WITHOUT learning to use God-ki.

The days when we refered to Gohan as "the strongest unfused character in all of Dragon Ball" nowadays seem like an almost-forgotten dream.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 am

kinisking wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Yes, but that was then and this is now. Has super not made it obvious that he won't be getting that treatment anymore ? He had a fight where he struggled, but still over came it. I think that should be considered good enough at this point. I don't see why people are complaining so much when he's been treated with a lot of respect this arc. The only time I didn't like his treatment was 106.
But that's just it, it isn't clear. They've made a point of showing that fighting is in his blood and had him train since the second arc of the series. Sure, this isn't a guarantee that he'll be up there with the Blue's, but it isn't odd to assume he'll be given more. As someone already mentioned, his relationship with Goku got as much focus as his relationship with Piccolo, so chances are it's going to lead somewhere. It'd grueling for me to say, but if Piccolo does get eliminated in the next few episodes, Gohan will probably focus a lot more on Goku. Possibly even help against Jiren somehow.

namekiansaiyan wrote: That shouldn't really be taken into consideration as Goku is the focus here. I doubt anyone apart from Goku will get a fight like that again.
No one said that he will be usurping Goku, just that given his past record, it's not unreasonable to assume he'll do more than what we've seen him do until now.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am

Hopefully nobody so we can all forget about his ridiculous return to fighting and he can go back to just being a scholar for the rest of eternity.

Unfortunately, he'll probably get one last big moment against the Namekians. With nineteen fucking episodes left they can do just about anything.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:05 am

Puaru wrote:I still haven't gotten over the fact that Gohan, who was the strongest saiyan at the end of DBZ, now is the WEAKEST adult saiyan in U7 (that is, among the still living ones). Goku, Vegeta and Trunks are all stronger than Gohan. It's such an enormous difference from how things were back in DBZ, and back when Gohan, regardless of whether he was the most skilled fighter or won the most battles, was indesputably the one with the most raw power.

And for a while, this demotion of Gohan compared to some of the other saiyan characters could be justified with the whole God-ki stuff, but then Trunks came along to show that having God-ki is not necassary to achieve enough power to compare with saiyans who do have God-ki. And even if Trunks never did acchieve a power truly comparable to Goku and Vegeta, he nevertheless sure as hell surpassed Gohan. Just say that to yourself one more time; Trunks, friggin TRUNKS of all people, managed to reach a power level far beyond that of Gohan, and he did it even WITHOUT learning to use God-ki.

The days when we refered to Gohan as "the strongest unfused character in all of Dragon Ball" nowadays seem like an almost-forgotten dream.
So? Trunks is far more deserving of it since he kept training and went through hell not once but twice. Compared to Gohan who got Ultimate on a plate and got power that supposedly rivals Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku in a single night with Piccolo. If anything, Gohan is an example of how unfair Dragon Ball is in that he gets so strong without half the work compared to other character.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.