So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 am

Michsi wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
That is one of many dissapointments that Toei have created from their poor organisation of the whole arc.
I am never going to forget about narirama and nigrisshi.
You guys sure they weren't supposed to be red herrings? Or at least jokes based on fake build-up?
Don't think so.One character can be a joke,two characters can be a joke but this much is lack of creativity or bad writing.There are characters like the majority of U11,nigrishi,narirama,ribrianne and co,yardrat,tuffle,all hidden characters so far,and that is after ignoring the key players mentioned in magazines.
Last edited by Hawk9211 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am

Michsi wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
That is one of many dissapointments that Toei have created from their poor organisation of the whole arc.
I am never going to forget about narirama and nigrisshi.
You guys sure they weren't supposed to be red herrings? Or at least jokes based on fake build-up?
I didn't really care about them but Kahseral got a lot more build. Toei's handling of the characters in general has been bad.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Gohan battling powerful bugs or those invisible warriors is likely. I also believe Gohan will make it to the end of the tournament with Goku and fight Jiren

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Honestly, it feels like Toei and co have hated Gohan since the start of DBS, so I've lost hope for any big fights. I wanted him to fight either Toppo or Dyspo, but let's be honest, they'll screw him over somehow with one of his flaws which he should have fixed (staying alert, overconfidence, not going full power, whatever) and he'll go out and become the 2nd cheerleader of Goku, ala Krillin, constantly shouting "tō-san!" from the sides every time a energy blast is fired his way or commenting on what Goku does, just like the other U7 members..

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 am

Puaru wrote:Because I swear to God, if the culmination of Gohan in this arc is winning against two goddamn NAMEKIANS (who Gohan should rightfully be able to kill with one flick of his finger, more or less) I'm going be soooooo pissed. And the same goes if his big culmination is against any of the other mooks that still lingers around the arena.
The Namekians appear to be Piccolo level, and Gohan needs Mythical to defeat Piccolo at the moment. He can't even do it in SSj2. So yeah, not really "one flick of his finger". Still, there's not much reason for Gohan not to be in Mythical all the time, since it drains no stamina. It's just a drama-preserving handicap.
TheGreatSaiyaman wrote:Honestly, it feels like Toei and co have hated Gohan since the start of DBS, so I've lost hope for any big fights. I wanted him to fight either Toppo or Dyspo, but let's be honest, they'll screw him over somehow with one of his flaws which he should have fixed (staying alert, overconfidence, not going full power, whatever) and he'll go out and become the 2nd cheerleader of Goku, ala Krillin, constantly shouting "tō-san!" from the sides every time a energy blast is fired his way or commenting on what Goku does, just like the other U7 members..
I think it's more that they wanted to give him a character arc than that they "hated" him. The character arc has culminated in Gohan becoming Mythical again, so further spotlight is not guaranteed. Still, I think Gohan will get to shine yet in this tournament.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 am

He'll probably finish off Universe 6 here shortly. Other than that he's being promoted alongside Goku in marketing so that'll probably come into play at some point.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 pm

There's still time for him, we'll see. Definitely hoping we get some focus on the others after all this Goku centric episodes lately.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 am

The true God Emperor of this tournament. Shantza wasn't even phased by Jiren displaying his power. Gohan doesn't stand a chance.
Xeogran wrote:Image
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:32 am

Universe 6..
After killing off Universe 10 it's time another Universe falls before him..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:42 am

He can fight Dyspo. They've both been clowned so bad in this arc it'd just be a funny match up for me.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am

TheGreatSaiyaman wrote:Honestly, it feels like Toei and co have hated Gohan since the start of DBS, so I've lost hope for any big fights. I wanted him to fight either Toppo or Dyspo, but let's be honest, they'll screw him over somehow with one of his flaws which he should have fixed (staying alert, overconfidence, not going full power, whatever) and he'll go out and become the 2nd cheerleader of Goku, ala Krillin, constantly shouting "tō-san!" from the sides every time a energy blast is fired his way or commenting on what Goku does, just like the other U7 members..

Yeah, just like this.
The fights are becoming more intense and more elaborate, but there is just one problem.
They're all about Goku! :problem:

Gohan will have his time to shine, but he'll probably be outshined by Goku again in the end. :yawn:
Piccolo will probably have a little moment with the Namekians only to be completely forgotten when Goku hogs the stage again.
And 18 and 17 will be co-starring in the next episode next to our all time favourite......GOKU! :clap:

I'm at a stage right now that I'm actually rooting for Freeza to win this tournament. :lolno:

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:23 am

Dyspo probably.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Any character who's still left in the tournament that we haven't seen much from. And at least a dozen fighters fit that criteria.
Who are these dozen fighters?
- Zarbuto
- Sirloin
- Biara
- Paparoni
- Shantsa
- Gamisaras
- Damon
- Katopesla
- Pancea
- Borareta
- Koitsukai
- Saonel
- Pilina

Most of these characters at best have had thirty seconds of screentime in regards to displaying what they could be capable of. And of the character from that list that have had more screentime beyond thirty seconds, we already have the pre-existing knowledge of their biology (the Universe 6 Namekians) to determine they can still have much more in their lockers to offer or their mechanics could offer a unique shift in the perceptive of the battle (the Universe 3 robots).
Yeah, the "fodder" characters had all been eliminated at the halfway point. The Grand Priest made an effort to say that only the strongest remained. So everyone here is a power player, believe it or not (to namekiansaiyan). Maybe not Jiren level, but they're strong or have something that can turn the tide in their favors like Namekian fusion, possible transformations, and other unknown abilities. Some things seemingly contradict this, like Nigrisshi being declared the strongest fighter in U3 then getting easily eliminated by base Cabba, but something tells me that was PIS or just an oversight by Toei.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 am

BWri wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Who are these dozen fighters?
- Zarbuto
- Sirloin
- Biara
- Paparoni
- Shantsa
- Gamisaras
- Damon
- Katopesla
- Pancea
- Borareta
- Koitsukai
- Saonel
- Pilina

Most of these characters at best have had thirty seconds of screentime in regards to displaying what they could be capable of. And of the character from that list that have had more screentime beyond thirty seconds, we already have the pre-existing knowledge of their biology (the Universe 6 Namekians) to determine they can still have much more in their lockers to offer or their mechanics could offer a unique shift in the perceptive of the battle (the Universe 3 robots).
Yeah, the "fodder" characters had all been eliminated at the halfway point. The Grand Priest made an effort to say that only the strongest remained. So everyone here is a power player, believe it or not (to namekiansaiyan). Maybe not Jiren level, but they're strong or have something that can turn the tide in their favors like Namekian fusion, possible transformations, and other unknown abilities. Some things seemingly contradict this, like Nigrisshi being declared the strongest fighter in U3 then getting easily eliminated by base Cabba, but something tells me that was PIS or just an oversight by Toei.
Or perhaps Nigrisshi was an intentional red herring to mislead you about what Universe 3 was truly capable of. Super loves throwing false clues and hints like that.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Universe 6..
After killing off Universe 10 it's time another Universe falls before him..
Gohan, the Universe Breaker :lol:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Anyway I predict both with stay to end and Jiren will knock them off. Jiren gets annoyed at them because maybe Gohan gets angry and manages to hit Jiren and maybe Piccolo annoys him as he saves Goku by using his stretchy arms.
Nah, Jiren only cares about the strongest of the strong, those who can really push him. He has no interest in eliminating anyone either, unless they're worthy of his time as competitors.
namekiansaiyan wrote:After Saonel and Pilina I think they are fighting Universe 3 as that seems like a teamwork fight as you will probably have Paparoni and a Megazord thing. I want to see Piccolo go giant form and hold the Megazord off while Gohan attacks Paparoni who is protected by Biarra and a power form Katopesla. Gohan defeats these 3 which then allows Piccolo to finish off the Megazord as he is now vulnerable as Paparoni is gone.
Since we didn't get Giant Piccolo vs. Giant Bergamo, I'd like to see this scenario.
Michsi wrote:Or we might see a fusion between Goku and Gohan, since that almost happened in the Buu Saga. Have fun coming up a name for that.
Goku? Gohan? GoGo? Nah, too strippery. Probably Gokuhan or simply Kuhan. I like Son Kuhan.
Asura wrote:In terms of Gohan getting a new form, my bet is on SSJ Rage (that shit better have the bang though) where it's actually properly explained this time by Whis or something after Goku and Vegeta point out it's the same form Trunks used. He did say he wanted to take on a different path than Goku after all, and SSJ Rage is definitely different compared to SSB.
I doubt we'll see anything else rage based for Gohan. Whereas Goku and Vegeta are influenced by a destroyer god, I think Gohan is influenced by the creator gods so his will be something more calm and focused is what I'm leaning towards which sounds like I'm describing SSB but really it'll be an offshoot of his Ultimate power. My guess.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 am

As the characters have dwindled in the ToP so have my hopes for Gohan eliminating a big time threat. But that's ok because my hopes weren't too high for him to begin with. I said I would be happy if he took out one of Ganos, Cabba or Dsypo but it looks like he won't get any of them, sadly. His greatest conquest will be Obuni or maybe these Namekians which is hardly a big time threat.

The only way Gohan overachieves and takes out a big name at this late stage of the ToP is if he eliminates whatever hidden threat comes out of U4. If Damom causes major problems and Gohan figures out a way to eliminate him then Gohan will have gotten his epic fight.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 am

Kataphrut wrote:I could say the same of Freeza. They've stacked the deck too far in Universe 7's favour, they have all these ridiculously strong fighters and hardly anyone from the other 70 to match them. It's why I reckon Freeza should be the one fighting Kefla.

I'm still holding out hope that Gohan will play a role in the endgame. If he defeats the Namekians and Kefla's out by then, he'll be personally responsible for the elimination of two universes. That's the sort of thing that could weigh heavily on his conscience and push him to survive. Maybe Jiren defeats Goku and the final fight is actually Gohan trying to survive against an opponent he has no hope of beating. An ending based around our heroes trying to run down the clock and survive as long as they can would be a cool way to wrap up a tournament about survival, and Gohan is the character most concerned about fighting to survive.
I'm hoping for an epic confrontation between Jiren and Frieza, to be honest, either on his own or teamed up with Goku ala the Dragon Ball Heroes trailer. Though I will admit, I have been very much enjoying his appearances in episodes, I'd love to see him go all out against a worthy opponent.

Maybe if there hadn't been so many fodder universes, there might have been more, but I'll still hold out for that Jiren fight.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 am

Kataphrut wrote:Gohan's unique in that for all the hype of his comeback in this arc, his focus episodes in the tournament haven't been...fanservicey like the others. His first big moment was in 103 where after a token fight with Botamo, he had a solidly impressive duel with Obuni that would've been a high note to end on for a lowkey player like 18 or Tien. Except it had the misfortune of being the last Universe 10 fighter, so instead of getting an "epic fight", he was left with the guilt of wiping out an entire Universe, taking out a fellow family man no less, and having to suck it up and move on.

He spent most of 106 hiding with Piccolo, while Goku, Vegeta and Tien did all the cool stuff. 108 again started off with him losing to Jimize and having to work with Freeza, with the implication that had Gohan misread the situation, he would have been eliminated. Now he's fighting the Namekians with Piccolo, which is the closest thing to a "cool" fight he's been in so far, but it ultimately can't be that important because they keep cutting away from it.

Basically, the theme with Gohan is that while everybody else is having fun and getting cool moments, he's the one dealing with the tougher aspects of the tournament. He's the conscience. Which is why I pitched that it would be a fitting end if Goku, the one who instigated the tournament to have fun, and who has had everything go his way, actually lose to Jiren in the end. Then Gohan would be forced to take up the mantle for the finale the way he did in the Cell games, only this time it's not because he's the only one who can win, but because he's the only one looking at the bigger picture.

That's just my fanfic pitch, i have no idea what they're going to do with him. People were saying Gohan wouldn't be strong enough to even survive Jiren if it came to that, but I would counter that's what would make it dramatic. We'd be rooting for him to survive because we know he can't win. Almost like "survival" is meant to be a theme of the arc or something.
In light of the latest synopsis and its implications, I would like to share this post I made earlier again, the key point in bold.

Gohan isn't here to have epic fights. Those are for other people. Gohan is here to suffer. That is his purpose.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Gohan's unique in that for all the hype of his comeback in this arc, his focus episodes in the tournament haven't been...fanservicey like the others. His first big moment was in 103 where after a token fight with Botamo, he had a solidly impressive duel with Obuni that would've been a high note to end on for a lowkey player like 18 or Tien. Except it had the misfortune of being the last Universe 10 fighter, so instead of getting an "epic fight", he was left with the guilt of wiping out an entire Universe, taking out a fellow family man no less, and having to suck it up and move on.

He spent most of 106 hiding with Piccolo, while Goku, Vegeta and Tien did all the cool stuff. 108 again started off with him losing to Jimize and having to work with Freeza, with the implication that had Gohan misread the situation, he would have been eliminated. Now he's fighting the Namekians with Piccolo, which is the closest thing to a "cool" fight he's been in so far, but it ultimately can't be that important because they keep cutting away from it.

Basically, the theme with Gohan is that while everybody else is having fun and getting cool moments, he's the one dealing with the tougher aspects of the tournament. He's the conscience. Which is why I pitched that it would be a fitting end if Goku, the one who instigated the tournament to have fun, and who has had everything go his way, actually lose to Jiren in the end. Then Gohan would be forced to take up the mantle for the finale the way he did in the Cell games, only this time it's not because he's the only one who can win, but because he's the only one looking at the bigger picture.

That's just my fanfic pitch, i have no idea what they're going to do with him. People were saying Gohan wouldn't be strong enough to even survive Jiren if it came to that, but I would counter that's what would make it dramatic. We'd be rooting for him to survive because we know he can't win. Almost like "survival" is meant to be a theme of the arc or something.
In light of the latest synopsis and its implications, I would like to share this post I made earlier again, the key point in bold.

Gohan isn't here to have epic fights. Those are for other people. Gohan is here to make Piccolo suffer. That is his purpose.
Fixed,thats more like it.
It seems you had insave expectations anyways,so you were destined to be dissapointed.
Also Gohan is not the conscience as you meantioned anyways,Vegeta is the only one that even mentioned about planning to revive other universes.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am

Whatever wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: In light of the latest synopsis and its implications, I would like to share this post I made earlier again, the key point in bold.

Gohan isn't here to have epic fights. Those are for other people. Gohan is here to make Piccolo suffer. That is his purpose.
Fixed,thats more like it.
It seems you had insave expectations anyways,so you were destined to be dissapointed.
Also Gohan is not the conscience as you meantioned anyways,Vegeta is the only one that even mentioned about planning to revive other universes.
Piccolo's doing fine. He's used to making these greater good decisions. It doesn't always pan out well (hello Super Buu), but the crucial difference is he understands the emotional arithmetic of having to make sacrifices. Gohan hasn't had to deal with that before, and it's clearly affecting him.

And my flash-in-the-pan idea for Gohan being the last surviving fighter against Jiren might be implausible, but I wouldn't call it insane. I don't know how things are going to turn out- you'll also notice I assumed the fight with the U6 Namekians wouldn't be important and hey, guess who was proven wrong. But I'm not disappointed; I like the way they're handling Gohan because it's different from everyone else. He's one of the few people left in the ring I can empathise with at this point.

You know who I can't empathise with? Vegeta. The fact that he's the first character to explicitly say he'll bring back the universes doesn't make him the conscience. He only cares about bringing back Universe 6 because it's got Saiyans. And at all other times, he's back to his old insecure self.