So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Whatever
Regular

Re: So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Post by Whatever » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Piccolo's doing fine. He's used to making these greater good decisions. It doesn't always pan out well (hello Super Buu), but the crucial difference is he understands the emotional arithmetic of having to make sacrifices. Gohan hasn't had to deal with that before, and it's clearly affecting him.

And my flash-in-the-pan idea for Gohan being the last surviving fighter against Jiren might be implausible, but I wouldn't call it insane. I don't know how things are going to turn out- you'll also notice I assumed the fight with the U6 Namekians wouldn't be important and hey, guess who was proven wrong. But I'm not disappointed; I like the way they're handling Gohan because it's different from everyone else. He's one of the few people left in the ring I can empathise with at this point.

You know who I can't empathise with? Vegeta. The fact that he's the first character to explicitly say he'll bring back the universes doesn't make him the conscience. He only cares about bringing back Universe 6 because it's got Saiyans. And at all other times, he's back to his old insecure self.
Most of the time that Gohan makes a mistake Piccolo is the one to suffer from it.
Gohan felt sad for Obuni and thats it.Its not like he is having an emotional trauma like you make it out to be,he felt sad for a few seconds and moved on from it.
Vegeta is the only one who mentioned about bringing back any universe,Gohan did not because he does not care that much,in the end those other people from the other universes are people that Gohan does not know enough to care about.

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: So at this point, who the hell is even left for Gohan to have an epic fight against?

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am

Whatever wrote: Most of the time that Gohan makes a mistake Piccolo is the one to suffer from it.
Gohan felt sad for Obuni and thats it.Its not like he is having an emotional trauma like you make it out to be,he felt sad for a few seconds and moved on from it.
Vegeta is the only one who mentioned about bringing back any universe,Gohan did not because he does not care that much,in the end those other people from the other universes are people that Gohan does not know enough to care about.
That's doesn't really fit Gohan's character though. He is the most caring out of all the fighters. This is the guy that went charging at Freeza and his men after he witnessed them killing namekians, none of them which he knew then. He is the one shown to care about bystanders. I'm pretty sure bringing everyone back is on his mind too.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 am

Michsi wrote:
Whatever wrote: Most of the time that Gohan makes a mistake Piccolo is the one to suffer from it.
That's doesn't really fit Gohan's character though. He is the most caring out of all the fighters. This is the guy that went charging at Freeza and his men after he witnessed them killing namekians, none of them which he knew then. He is the one shown to care about bystanders. I'm pretty sure bringing everyone back is on his mind too.
Its not on his mind or else he would be aiming for Top warrior,he cares about saving his family so much more than the thought of saving the other universes propably did not even cross his mind.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am

Michsi wrote:
Exactly.

Like, at this point it's safe to assume everyone from Universe 7 bar Freeza would use the SBDs to bring back the universes. That's a given. The difference is Gohan is the only one primarily focused on survival, and is the most affected by what they're doing in order to achieve it. He felt sad for Obuni and had to tough it up and move on.

Vegeta felt nothing for Universe 9. Much like Goku, his main priority is fighting strong guys and being the best like no one ever was. Resurrecting them all at the end is an afterthought. If anything, that's a more sensible way to look at it; that's what I meant when I said Piccolo is doing fine because he's mature enough to understand that (did you think I was just making a crack about his arms?) Gohan still has difficulty grasping that, which is what makes him interesting. He doesn't have the Saiyan bloodlust that drives Goku and Vegeta or the pragmatism of Piccolo and the older fighters. It isn't as easy for him to be pragmatic about survival because he cares about the innocent. That's called having a conscience.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 am

The original impetus for hosting this tournament was to determine which of the eight cluttered universes would be allowed to survive erasure. Zeno wasn't content with the convolution of the old arrangement so he decided to erase them. If anyone were to resurrect the universes erased then it would defeat the purpose of the organisers' intention and render the significance of the tournament null.

Conscience or not, I doubt Gohan would be allowed to bring back all of the erased universes when the Omni-King went to the trouble of erasing them less than an hour ago. Unless Zeno has a change of heart due to the spectacle the tournament has provided, I think the most Universe 7's team can hope to achieve is a revival of the multiverse populations and resettling them throughout U7.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:33 am

Whatever wrote: Its not on his mind or else he would be aiming for Top warrior,he cares about saving his family so much more than the thought of saving the other universes propably did not even cross his mind.
I don't think he is striving to be the Top warrior because he is banking on either Goku or Vegeta to claim that spot. I know Goku said he didn't know what he would be wishing for, but I think it's pretty clear what he'd use it for. Gohan's aim is to ensure his universe's survival first and foremost, but that doesn't mean he isn't affected by the other universes getting erased. Being empathetic is his nature.
Last edited by Michsi on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 am

Whatever wrote:
Michsi wrote: That's doesn't really fit Gohan's character though. He is the most caring out of all the fighters. This is the guy that went charging at Freeza and his men after he witnessed them killing namekians, none of them which he knew then. He is the one shown to care about bystanders. I'm pretty sure bringing everyone back is on his mind too.
Its not on his mind or else he would be aiming for Top warrior,he cares about saving his family so much more than the thought of saving the other universes propably did not even cross his mind.
Gohan's a smart boy, he knows he isn't the top warrior in Universe 7. That's why his focus was on teamwork and making sure everyone played defensively so they'd have a better chance at winning. I like to think he has enough faith in Goku to assume he'll get the wish in the end and do the right thing with it.

Mind you, there was his challenge to Goku in episode 90. He lost, but still threw himself against his father to see how they compared and even insisted on Goku using his strongest forms. I think the tournament has made him care about being strong again.
Lionel wrote:The original impetus for hosting this tournament was to determine which of the eight cluttered universes would be allowed to survive erasure. Zeno wasn't content with the convolution of the old arrangement so he decided to erase them. If anyone were to resurrect the universes erased then it would defeat the purpose of the organisers' intention and render the significance of the tournament null.

Conscience or not, I doubt Gohan would be allowed to bring back all of the erased universes when the Omni-King went to the trouble of erasing them less than an hour ago. Unless Zeno has a change of heart due to the spectacle the tournament has provided, I think the most Universe 7's team can hope to achieve is a revival of the multiverse populations and resettling them throughout U7.
That's a whole other can of worms. But let's be honest, we know one way or another these universes (at least the characters if not the universes themselves) will get brought back in the end. Too many hints of a Planet Sadala visit for one thing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Whatever wrote:
Michsi wrote: That's doesn't really fit Gohan's character though. He is the most caring out of all the fighters. This is the guy that went charging at Freeza and his men after he witnessed them killing namekians, none of them which he knew then. He is the one shown to care about bystanders. I'm pretty sure bringing everyone back is on his mind too.
Gohan's a smart boy, he knows he isn't the top warrior in Universe 7. That's why his focus was on teamwork and making sure everyone played defensively so they'd have a better chance at winning. I like to think he has enough faith in Goku to assume he'll get the wish in the end and do the right thing with it.

Mind you, there was his challenge to Goku in episode 90. He lost, but still threw himself against his father to see how they compared and even insisted on Goku using his strongest forms. I think the tournament has made him care about being strong again.
Lionel wrote:The original impetus for hosting this tournament was to determine which of the eight cluttered universes would be allowed to survive erasure. Zeno wasn't content with the convolution of the old arrangement so he decided to erase them. If anyone were to resurrect the universes erased then it would defeat the purpose of the organisers' intention and render the significance of the tournament null.

That's a whole other can of worms. But let's be honest, we know one way or another these universes (at least the characters if not the universes themselves) will get brought back in the end. Too many hints of a Planet Sadala visit for one thing.
You mean like the many hints of Cali or Kelfie getting Super Saiyan 3?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 am

HeroR wrote:
Honestly i am surprised she did not get it when Gotenks got it because yolo.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 am

Whatever wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Honestly i am surprised she did not get it when Gotenks got it because yolo.
Yolo?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I'm honestly wondering if it won't be most of U7 vs Jiren one by one in an almost Cell Games type scenario. Except obviously Jiren isn't evil
Honestly, I was hoping something like that would happen. It’d fit in with everyone’s personality and the fact the big fighters prefer fighting alone.
How i predict the tournament will end:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:53 am

At this point I'd say the best thing anyone could do with the wish is try and wipe the two Zenos from existence entirely. They're far and away the biggest threat to the people of the Omniverse and it's hard to see how anything would be worse for their absence.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm

sintzu wrote:Vegeta and Toppo are the 2nd strongest characters of their universe yet their fight is taking a back seat to Goku's and that witch so even if there was someone left, it doesn't mean we'll see much of it.
Frieza is stronger than Vegeta as sources states.