What will be Kefura's occidental name?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What will be Kefura's occidental name?

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Meshack wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Kay-flah (Kafla) works for me, but I'll accept Kehf-lah (Kefla) if necessary

Just like Vegetto instead of Vegerot
Vegerot is just wrong. It doesn’t reflect the Japanese at all. Everyone should hate Vegerot
It's Vegetto's translated name in the manga releases

It makes sense too, I suppose. Despite how wrong we consider it over 25 years later
... dude. I knows all this stuff.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 am

Asura wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Asura wrote:
I can't find a single piece of merchandise with the name "Kacarrot" on it. Actually, I can't find anything at all in regards to the name. A google search only reveals a bunch of pictures with Goku as a carrot, so I'm not sure where you're getting that spelling of the name from. :lol:.

And yeah, FUNi did go with "Kefla" in the name of their video title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SLfOKwwGzg

So I guess that adds even more of an "official" status for the name if both TOEI subs and FUNi are using that spelling.
Well, I did: https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/663024160001
Where does that say Kacarrot? It's all in Japanese and I see カカロット which translates to "Kakarotto"
Did you not see the figure? It clearly says Kacarrot on it. Also, カカロット does not translate to Kakarotto. Kakarotto is the romanization of the kana. Bandai transliterates カカロット as Kacarrot

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:31 am

Meshack wrote:
Asura wrote:
Where does that say Kacarrot? It's all in Japanese and I see カカロット which translates to "Kakarotto"
Did you not see the figure? It clearly says Kacarrot on it. Also, カカロット does not translate to Kakarotto. Kakarotto is the romanization of the kana. Bandai transliterates カカロット as Kacarrot
Oh yeah, I see it now. Any more though or is it just that one?
Meshack wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Meshack wrote: Vegerot is just wrong. It doesn’t reflect the Japanese at all. Everyone should hate Vegerot

It makes sense too, I suppose. Despite how wrong we consider it over 25 years later
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't you accused of providing inaccurate translation information in the past?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:24 am

Asura wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Asura wrote:
Meshack wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't you accused of providing inaccurate translation information in the past?
Umm, looking in a manga and seeing the name Vegerot and looking at the kana and seeing Bejītto is not hard to comprehend if you have even the littlest knowledge of this stuff. It makes sense to use Vegerot but at the same time, it doesn’t since Vegetto’s name is not Bejīrotto in kana but Bejītto.

I only found one source for Kacarrot. It’s probably rare to find a spelling for it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am

Why does everyone keep calling her Kefura?? Her name is Kefla, even the japanese voices pronounce it as Kefla as you can clearly hear in the episodes.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:58 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Why does everyone keep calling her Kefura?? Her name is Kefla, even the japanese voices pronounce it as Kefla as you can clearly hear in the episodes.
Japanese don't really do L's, they do R's instead. Caulifla is actually pronounced Caurifura, hence where you get Kefura from. That's just pronunciation though.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Asura wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Why does everyone keep calling her Kefura?? Her name is Kefla, even the japanese voices pronounce it as Kefla as you can clearly hear in the episodes.
Japanese don't really do L's, they do R's instead. Caulifla is actually pronounced Caurifura, hence where you get Kefura from. That's just pronunciation though.
“Karifura” not “Caurifura”

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 pm

"Vegerot" sounds like a morbid disease. How is there anyone who's okay with it?

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Meshack wrote:
Asura wrote:
“Karifura” not “Caurifura”
What's the difference? We're talking about pronunciation.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm

From my understanding of it, Kefura is the direct romanization of ケフラ. Kefla is the transliteration of Kefura and since we know the name is a pun on Kale and Caulifla, thus Kefla. The reason it is probably Kefla (most likely) is due to pronunciation. People debate using Kafla over Kefla because ケフラ is the combination of Kale and Caulifla but Kale in kana is ケール but Kefla is ケフラ. Ke is no longer elongated.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am

Asura wrote:
Meshack wrote:
Asura wrote:
Meshack wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

I found a jacket that Toei is selling and it is Broly shouting “Kacarrot!!!!!!!” https://twitter.com/toeianime_shop/stat ... 4077591553