Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 116 (19 November 2017)

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

A somewhat good episode, but the constant pause to characters explaning stuff was quite annoying.

- Can they stop with these stupid previews before the damn episode? It only serves to spoil scenes that we're going to watch next :problem:

- Did I heard a Oozaru roar when UI Goku was powering up? Also I loved how he said "You can't beat me in my current state" to Kefla, much like he said as a SSJ4 to Baby in GT :D

- So by Whis explanation: Kefla has the same power the Genki Dama Goku used on Jiren, huh? Weird.

- So Kefla all that time as only a SSJ? Her turning into SSJ2 makes me wonder if she could beat KKx20 + SSJB Goku after all :think:

- Fuwa reaction was unnecessary :roll:

- That new eyecath looked like a fan art to me

- Finally Goku defeated that eyesore! But man, back to square one... I wonder how he will recover his stamina now... :think:

- I don't know if I get it right but Goku attacks being innefective was because he was thinking about Jiren? How that makes sense? :eh:

- Next episode don't seem much appealing to me, I hope the androids give Ribrianne some beating after she transform and hopefully someone defeat her in the next one.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Fantastic episode.

The fight between Goku and Kafla was great and major step up from last weeks initial uninspiring skirmish. The more I see of Ultra Instinct, the more I want this form to replace every other transformation that Goku has. Because Ultra Instinct is fucking awesome. Kafla was getting clowned by Ultra Instinct Goku and it was great to watch from start to finish.

I won't lie, Jiren stopping his meditating to take fight again got me hyped. I don't what it about this guy but he just... carries a certain mystique about him that you can't put your finger on, but you ultimately still want to see more of him. Jiren is such an intriguing enigma.

While I found Kafla fun to watch, she didn't really do anything noteworthy. She just didn't really that much of lasting impression when all was said and done. She didn't really have her "moment". Ya know, something that fans will remember her for and will always associate her with within Dragon Ball. Her performance in battle also left a bit to be desired.She put a good fight against (a fatigued) SSJG, SSJB and even Kaioken Blue Goku, but then got totally chumped by Ultra Instinct Goku. Kafla was truly Gotenks 2.0, when you get down it. She was nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan character, that was all sizzle and no stake, and basically existed for the sole purposes of producing a pretty fireworks show and to artificially extend the plot, before getting put in their place by the superior fighter. I don't think I'll be looking back on the character too fondly. That's not to say I thought she was a bad character. Just a bit to disposable of character, especially for a fused character, for my personal liking.
Pretty much agree with all of this.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 pm

SO I guess Freeza is studying Goku to master Ultra Instinct himself? Would make sense and Freeza would become a huge threat again if he does.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Except I hated the Super Saiyan 3 Chehkov Gun :evil:
Yeah, Kale/Caulfila/Kefla attaining SSJ3 was a total red herring. Super misleads us yet again. :P

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Noah wrote:-I don't know if I get it right but Goku attacks being innefective was because he was thinking about Jiren? How that makes sense? :eh:
From what I'm getting, he was thinking about what attacks to use against Kafla instead of allowing his body instinctively do what will be best during that situation, a.k.a. he was thinking too much.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Interested to see the criticisms for this episode. It really landed perfectly with a climatic and series-defining Kamehameha to end Kamehamehas, and frankly if you weren't fond of this episode Super may not be the series for you. Not to say it was flawless but it certainly captures Super at its best. Perfectly recaptured what I loved about Z. The kinetic energy, the humorous side-bits, and kickass storyboarding. When Goku was barely nipped by her blast I think I got chills.

Not particularly getting all the hate for next episode though. The preview looked acceptable? I get people don't like RiBrianne, but honestly if you go into the episode hating it there's no way you'd be able to enjoy it. Can we at least save the criticisms for the next episode when it actually comes out? I don't like what the writing's done for the Universe 2 warriors but I'd like to at least see what they have to offer first

Only real inconsistency I think I spotted was Kafla being compared to the Spirit Bomb power-wise? It's mentioned Jiren wouldn't have been able to handle the Spirit Bomb if it hit, so it's strange that's the benchmark for Kafla's strength. Maybe Whis meant it less literally and it's more Kafla acts as the same type of threat that pushed Goku to break his limits ala the Spirit Bomb?
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Fantastic showing from Ultra Instinct yet again. Plus Caulifla and Kale are finally out. :clap: :clap: :clap:

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Really loved this episode! A nice twist to Ultra Instinct too! He was reacting naturally defending, but still thinking about his attacks.

And thus the Saiyan ladies are finally knocked out. I know they haven't been the most liked characters, but I've really enjoyed seeing them in action in the last month, and hope we get to see more of them someday. Also, am I misunderstanding something or did they de-fuse because the potara was destroyed?

And next week I finally get my wish of seeing the Androids teaming up :thumbup:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 pm

This was a spectacular episode, rivaling 110 so soon after it. The finale with the Kamehameha surfing the blast was just the best, especially with the return of Ultimate Battle. Disappointed that Kefla didn't get a good moment with another fighter, but they sold her defeat well.

It looks like the Namekians will be the last stand for Universe 6 as well. That's weird. I would think it would be a better idea to send off the second most important Universe with characters that actually have personality or history, but what do I know?
Last edited by Kataphrut on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:10 pm

This episode was fantastic,I love UI Goku he was awesome and while I don't like Kefla that much but her elimination was pretty sad because I really like Caulifla and Kale, they fought well.
    I'm excited for next week because the android are back in action.

Zagacious
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:27 pm

MegaBossMan wrote:Interested to see the criticisms for this episode. It really landed perfectly with a climatic and series-defining Kamehameha to end Kamehamehas, and frankly if you weren't fond of this episode Super may not be the series for you. Not to say it was flawless but it certainly captures Super at its best. Perfectly recaptured what I loved about Z. The kinetic energy, the humorous side-bits, and kickass storyboarding. When Goku was barely nipped by her blast I think I got chills.

Not particularly getting all the hate for next episode though. The preview looked acceptable? I get people don't like RiBrianne, but honestly if you go into the episode hating it there's no way you'd be able to enjoy it. Can we at least save the criticisms for the next episode when it actually comes out? I don't like what the writing's done for the Universe 2 warriors but I'd like to at least see what they have to offer first

Only real inconsistency I think I spotted was Kafla being compared to the Spirit Bomb power-wise? It's mentioned Jiren wouldn't have been able to handle the Spirit Bomb if it hit, so it's strange that's the benchmark for Kafla's strength. Maybe Whis meant it less literally and it's more Kafla acts as the same type of threat that pushed Goku to break his limits ala the Spirit Bomb?
    The episode can be 'perfect' quality-wise but if it keeps misusing the characters it will still be criticized. The main complaints of this tournament are not using enough other characters besides the top 5 and too much fodder battles being prolonged solely because of holding back, and we spend 5-6 episodes pretty much solely on Goku, Caulifla, and Kale. 5 of which were in a row, when this tournament has only been about 20 episodes so far and most of the 80 fighters have been eliminated. 2 of the Goku vs Caulifla/Kale/kefla episodes were pretty much a waste, it could have been condensed into lower episode count since most of the fights weren't actually that long, cut out all the repeated explanations and staring and it would have been 2-3 episodes total. Which doesn't sound that important, but it's 2 more episodes where other characters could be utilized, something this tournament desperately needs.

I actually do think people like the idea of Ribrianne, it's just she's one of the constant reminders of the misuse of characters. She's been in like 10 episodes at least and hasn't done a single thing with any impact. She was hyped in the intro at one point fighting SSB Vegeta only to find out she is nowhere near SSB level. They either need to give her a huge powerup so she can do something relevant or get rid of her, because it's getting annoying and starting to waste screen time.
    Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MajinMan
    Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
    shadowmaria wrote:Except I hated the Super Saiyan 3 Chehkov Gun :evil:
    Yeah, Kale/Caulfila/Kefla attaining SSJ3 was a total red herring. Super misleads us yet again. :P
    But, but, they're Mary Sue's! They can do anything instantly and clearly have no flaws!
    Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

symbol96

Post by symbol96 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Yea, I'm just going to assume Kafla went LSSJ2. No other reason her super saiyan hair was green in the first place.
    After Cell died he found the Super Dragon Balls and made Super Shenron tell the creators to nerf Gohan

Sandubadear
    I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Cool end of fight, this fight was maybe better than against Jiren.

At least now the tournament can actually continue.
    "The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
    --by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
    Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Noah
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm

symbol96 wrote:Yea, I'm just going to assume Kafla went LSSJ2. No other reason her super saiyan hair was green in the first place.
    I think that was just an aesthetic choice, but I also think her hair should be golden if not using the LSSJ form
    乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

lord turbo
    Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 pm

SirTorra wrote:This must be what heaven feels like! Finally, the nightmare is over! Cauliflo is done and gone, and no more whining from kale. They overstayed their welcome and didn't deserve the attention they got from toei and the fans. Now lets rejoice and look forward to the next most anticipated elimination of fatbrianne. I'm truly the happiest person on planet earth right now.
    Most definitely, their elimination was long over due, now we can look forward to other characters, all we need is Ribrianne and Rozie to bite the dust next. As for the episode, Goku surfing up Kelfa's blast reminds me of that one character surfing on vasto lorde Ichigo's blast during that Hell Movie.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 pm

Production wise this was an overall good episode.

Writing...they had to keep prepping her up till the very last moment, going as far as to say she'd finish UI Goku if her attack touched him. I guess this puts her waaaaay above Vegetto's level as it took Goku and Vegeta training with Whis and Ssb to get that strong yet both of her characters got that strong out of the blue.

No one deserved a kamehameha to the face as much as she did.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MajinMan
    Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 am

sintzu wrote:Production wise this was an overall good episode.

Writing...they had to keep prepping her up till the very last moment, going as far as to say she'd finish UI Goku if her attack touched him. I guess this puts her waaaaay above Vegetto's level as it took Goku and Vegeta training with Whis and Ssb to get that strong yet both of her characters got that strong out of the blue.

How can she be above Vegetto's level when Goku and Vegeta individually are much higher than Kale and Caulifla?
    Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am

MajinMan wrote:
    sintzu wrote:Production wise this was an overall good episode.

How can she be above Vegetto's level when Goku and Vegeta individually are much higher than Kale and Caulifla?
    I mean their Buu arc levels as that's the last arc before beerus came into the picture and the last time they had powers not gained by training with Whis.

If these 2 girls are this strong out of nowhere, then they'll make jerin look like yamcha if they trained with an angle.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.