Right off the bat, the Manga is treating Tien better (and Goten and Trunks...kinda)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Right off the bat, the Manga is treating Tien better (and Goten and Trunks...kinda)

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:03 am

https://youtu.be/Bqyie_i-VIw?t=865

He is actually brought up (By Goku, no less) when deciding the fighters who are going to take part in the tournament, instead of forgotten about and asked at the last minute for convenience.

Goten and Trunks are at least not immediately counted out, albeit still excluded.

precita
Banned

Re: Right off the bat, the Manga is treating Tien better (and Goten and Trunks...kinda)

Post by precita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 am

Hopefully when we get to EOZ and Trunks and Goten are adults, they get treated properly.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Right off the bat, the Manga is treating Tien better (and Goten and Trunks...kinda)

Post by Meshack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 am

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:https://youtu.be/Bqyie_i-VIw?t=865

He is actually brought up (By Goku, no less) when deciding the fighters who are going to take part in the tournament, instead of forgotten about and asked at the last minute for convenience.

Goten and Trunks are at least not immediately counted out, albeit still excluded.
I think Toyotarou is doing better than Toei overall but I’m not gonna goninto detail because it’s not the thread for that

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 am

precita wrote:Hopefully when we get to EOZ and Trunks and Goten are adults, they get treated properly.
I really would prefer to see more of them once they've actually aged up some. I think a big reason those two aren't used much anymore is because toriyama has done just about as much (to keep things interesting) as he can with them as kids. At their highest level they've always amounted to a singular, comedic character with an insanely high power level but lacking in the experience to use it effectively.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:19 am

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:https://youtu.be/Bqyie_i-VIw?t=865

That is okay, but still something to boast about for Tien's sake.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 am

Yamcha isn't brought up sadly, but at least they're not doing that unfunny gag with him waiting for the invite!

But I can't wait to see how Tien preforms. Hopefully he actially gets a fight instead of Naruto running straight into elimination.

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:42 am

The_Destroyer wrote:Yamcha isn't brought up sadly, but at least they're not doing that unfunny gag with him waiting for the invite!

But I can't wait to see how Tien preforms. Hopefully he actially gets a fight instead of Naruto running straight into elimination.
To be fair, tag teaming with Roshi for an elimination and then ending a (kind of) fight with someone who (nonsensically) had piccolo and gohan on the ropes in a draw was WAY better than I was expecting for Tien given how badly he was treated in the recruitment arc.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 am

Oh wow, Jiren is a completely different character in the manga. Like, he shares almost no similarities with his anime counterpart, that's really weird. It's like they gave him Toppo's personality at the exchange of giving Toppo like, no personality. Kinda disappointing in a sense, but at least Jiren has some character now.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 am

Asura wrote:Oh wow, Jiren is a completely different character in the manga. Like, he shares almost no similarities with his anime counterpart, that's really weird. It's like they gave him Toppo's personality at the exchange of giving Toppo like, no personality. Kinda disappointing in a sense, but at least Jiren has some character now.
Anime toppo is much more flamboyant than jiren and sometimes even sounds extreme.
Regarding,the topic it is not that it is a high bar.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 am

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:Yamcha isn't brought up sadly, but at least they're not doing that unfunny gag with him waiting for the invite!

To be fair, tag teaming with Roshi for an elimination and then ending a (kind of) fight with someone who (nonsensically) had piccolo and gohan on the ropes in a draw was WAY better than I was expecting for Tien given how badly he was treated in the recruitment arc.
I agree, but he didn't get a head to head fight like the others did which upset me.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Being brought up initially to be on the team won't mean much if Tien doesn't contribute anything of significance in the Tournament Of Power itself.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Asura wrote:Oh wow, Jiren is a completely different character in the manga. Like, he shares almost no similarities with his anime counterpart, that's really weird. It's like they gave him Toppo's personality at the exchange of giving Toppo like, no personality. Kinda disappointing in a sense, but at least Jiren has some character now.
No,manga jiren is nothing like anime toppo and this no personality meme is dumb,when people say no personality that belong to the fodders like the preecho who had no line or screentime manga toppo is far from that.
Lord Beerus wrote:Being brought up initially to be on the team won't mean much if Tien doesn't contribute anything of significance in the Tournament Of Power itself.
Exactly,is all on paper,there no way tien is going to better than roshi here.
Mostly active on discord.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 pm

The gr wrote:
No,manga jiren is nothing like anime toppo and this no personality meme is dumb,when people say no personality that belong to the fodders like the preecho who had no line or screentime manga toppo is far from that.
Lord Beerus wrote:Being brought up initially to be on the team won't mean much if Tien doesn't contribute anything of significance in the Tournament Of Power itself.
Exactly,is all on paper,there no way tien is going to better than roshi here.
Just because a character gets 2 seconds of screen time doesn't mean they have no personality, it just means they weren't on the screen long enough. If you really think Jiren has a personality, then sure, he has the personality of a cardboard box.

How many personality traits can you tell me that Jiren has? Well let's see, he's silent and stoic, and then... uh, and then... hmm. Well, what about something Jiren enjoys? Is there something that Jiren enjoys? Yeah let's see there's... uh... meditating? Sure, he enjoys meditating. Totally a personality trait right there. Silent, and likes to meditate in mid-air. One hell of a personality there.

At least Hit began showing some more personality as he was on screen more in the U6 tournament, and it showed him enjoying his fight with Goku. Plus we actually got background on Hit whereas we still have absolutely nothing on Jiren in the anime.

I guess giving him Toppo's "personality" wasn't necessarily the right term to use since he's not over the top like Toppo is, but I meant that he's very focused on justice like Toppo is where it basically defines his character. Honestly though, this Superman personality he has in the manga isn't very interesting either.

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:42 pm

I know. I was saying that by comparison to not even being mentioned, let alone considered until the literal last minute (Goku comes to his dojo recruit someone else on top of that)...the writing here doesn't reak of contempt towards tien like the anime does so far.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Hoping he gets at least a mention as well since the recruitment just began.

Really nice that Goku is the one mentioning Tenshinhan. That is so bloody obvious I had no idea what Toei was thinking. Goku on the other hand not mentioning Gohan is weird but at least explains that as far as they are aware he isn`t active, like Yamcha I guess.

Was ROF translated to the current Manga as well? Because some figthers not being brought up by Goku for not being active and Roshi`s face showing up in the direct calls is still suspect.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Asura wrote: Just because a character gets 2 seconds of screen time doesn't mean they have no personality, it just means they weren't on the screen long enough. If you really think Jiren has a personality, then sure, he has the personality of a cardboard box.

How many personality traits can you tell me that Jiren has? Well let's see, he's silent and stoic, and then... uh, and then... hmm. Well, what about something Jiren enjoys? Is there something that Jiren enjoys? Yeah let's see there's... uh... meditating? Sure, he enjoys meditating. Totally a personality trait right there. Silent, and likes to meditate in mid-air. One hell of a personality there.

At least Hit began showing some more personality as he was on screen more in the U6 tournament, and it showed him enjoying his fight with Goku. Plus we actually got background on Hit whereas we still have absolutely nothing on Jiren in the anime.

I guess giving him Toppo's "personality" wasn't necessarily the right term to use since he's not over the top like Toppo is, but I meant that he's very focused on justice like Toppo is where it basically defines his character. Honestly though, this Superman personality he has in the manga isn't very interesting either.
Anime jiren is also arrogant and a jerk because he insulted hit pride and goku presence,yeah he is kinda flat.
    Manga jiren is an interesting case because we never had a rival or antagonist like this,he has actually a reaction about the erasure and he isn't belmod mannequin :lol: is a step up imo and they made more intrigued with his motive here than in the special[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Mostly active on discord.

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Olympian wrote:

Really nice that Goku is the one mentioning Tenshinhan. That is so bloody obvious I had no idea what Toei was thinking. Goku on the other hand not mentioning Gohan is weird but at least explains that as far as they are aware he isn`t active, like Yamcha I guess.

Was ROF translated to the current Manga as well? Because some figthers not being brought up by Goku for not being active and Roshi`s face showing up in the direct calls is still suspect.
    Why? Yamcha is not a warrior anymore. He quick since the Cell Arc. He didn’t fight Majin-Boo, he didn’t try to fight Beerus, Tenshinhan didn’t want him involved in their battle against Freeza, he wasn’t considered for the tournament against the 6th Universe, he wasn’t around for Gokuh-Black, so why on earth would he be considered for the Tournament of Power?

Olympian
    Regular

Post by Olympian » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Meshack wrote:Why? Yamcha is not a warrior anymore. He quick since the Cell Arc. He didn’t fight Majin-Boo, he didn’t try to fight Beerus, Tenshinhan didn’t want him involved in their battle against Freeza, he wasn’t considered for the tournament against the 6th Universe, he wasn’t around for Gokuh-Black, so why on earth would he be considered for the Tournament of Power?
    Read the reply again, I`m asking if ROF was translated in the Manga for a reason.

Still, "he quit after the Cell games", so did Krillin (and more than once, it came up in Super as well in his recruitment episode), so did Tenshinhan, who didn`t bother showing up for the 27th Bodukai. Piccolo no-fights at that Bodukai and dissapears afterwards to become a babysitter. But when Goku comes back and before the thing starts, he still asks Yamcha if he was participating and asked about Tenshinhan, see the difference? No point in mentioning Roshi really, he was retired since the 22nd Bodukai.

"Wasn`t considered against the 6th Universe" and Tenshinhan or Roshi was?

"Didn`t try to fight Beerus" and Krillin or Roshi did?

It`s nothing consistant. Yamcha was supposed to be retired in the Buu arc but when "Goku and Friends" came out he`s wearing the training Gi under his civics indicating he still trains. Chiatzu hasn`t been mention in Super for the recruitments either (mostly because Tenshinhan acts like a creepy surrogate daddy) but somehow he`s able to imobilize base Goku despite being benched since Trunks walked in. Roshi was done for ages and shows up again and Yamcha doesn`t act like he`s retired in Super, gag or no gag.

In the context of Dragon Ball, being "retired" is not a good enough reason for longtime characters who were active for decades and are still among the most powerful beings of a universe not being given their proper due or consideration.
    Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Olympian wrote:
    Meshack wrote:Why? Yamcha is not a warrior anymore. He quick since the Cell Arc. He didn’t fight Majin-Boo, he didn’t try to fight Beerus, Tenshinhan didn’t want him involved in their battle against Freeza, he wasn’t considered for the tournament against the 6th Universe, he wasn’t around for Gokuh-Black, so why on earth would he be considered for the Tournament of Power?
    Read the reply again, I`m asking if ROF was translated in the Manga for a reason.

Still, "he quit after the Cell games", so did Krillin (and more than once, it came up in Super as well in his recruitment episode), so did Tenshinhan, who didn`t bother showing up for the 27th Bodukai. Piccolo no-fights at that Bodukai and dissapears afterwards to become a babysitter. But when Goku comes back and before the thing starts, he still asks Yamcha if he was participating and asked about Tenshinhan, see the difference? No point in mentioning Roshi really, he was retired since the 22nd Bodukai.

"Wasn`t considered against the 6th Universe" and Tenshinhan or Roshi was?

"Didn`t try to fight Beerus" and Krillin or Roshi did?

It`s nothing consistant. Yamcha was supposed to be retired in the Buu arc but when "Goku and Friends" came out he`s wearing the training Gi under his civics indicating he still trains. Chiatzu hasn`t been mention in Super for the recruitments either (mostly because Tenshinhan acts like a creepy surrogate daddy) but somehow he`s able to imobilize base Goku despite being benched since Trunks walked in. Roshi was done for ages and shows up again and Yamcha doesn`t act like he`s retired in Super, gag or no gag.

In the context of Dragon Ball, being "retired" is not a good enough reason for longtime characters who were active for decades and are still among the most powerful beings of a universe not being given their proper due or consideration.
    You said you wanted him to be mentioned at least once but why? I was responding to both of you. If you want Yamcha to be mentioned, why not Chaoz, why not Yajirove, why not Arale? If it was too dangerous for Yamcha to fight against Freeza and his army then he shouldn’t be considered at all for the Tournament of Power. Kulilin recently gained his confidence to compete. Kulilin fought against Freeza and his army because they needed his help and in the Tournament of Power because they needed his help. Yamcha hasn’t been doing anything

The_Destroyer
    Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Meshack wrote:
    Olympian wrote:

Why? Yamcha is not a warrior anymore. He quick since the Cell Arc. He didn’t fight Majin-Boo, he didn’t try to fight Beerus, Tenshinhan didn’t want him involved in their battle against Freeza, he wasn’t considered for the tournament against the 6th Universe, he wasn’t around for Gokuh-Black, so why on earth would he be considered for the Tournament of Power?
    None of the humans were considered for the U6 tournament too.

Why on Earth is Roshi considered too then? He wasnt invited to train for the sayains, and Goku didn't bother asking Roshi to train for the androids, but he did invite Yamcha to train with him.

Hell, Krillin also retired yet was chosen.
    why not Chaoz, why not Yajirove, why not Arale? If it was too dangerous for Yamcha to fight against Freeza and his army then he shouldn’t be considered at all for the Tournament of Power. Kulilin recently gained his confidence to compete. Kulilin fought against Freeza and his army because they needed his help and in the Tournament of Power because they needed his help. Yamcha hasn’t been doing anything
    Fyi, The anime dropped the line about it being too dangerous for Yamcha. Tien only mentions Chiaotzu. And the manga doesnt even cover RoF either so really no poont in brining it up.

Why not Chioatzu or Yajirobe? Yamcha was a Z fighter longer than both of them. Hell, maybe Yajirobe should get a mention. You want consistency, Goku asked Yamcha to train with him for the androids, he so suggesting him for the ToP wouldn't be too far fetched, no?