[NO SPOILERS] Asking for opinions on Super overall

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

[NO SPOILERS] Asking for opinions on Super overall

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:34 pm

So first let me start off by saying I watch the english dub, so I just don't want spoilers on anything after that, I've been spoiled enough by youtube feeds haha, so I know there's a Goku Black, Zamasu, Jiren, tournament of Power, female super saiyans, but I don't know anything about them and I'd like to keep it at least at that. I watch this show with my girlfriend and it helps a lot to be able to share the moments together without me already knowing a lot(she's a big fan of the show too).

Another thing to preface, I don't think I'm the average American DBZ fan, for example, I love the original Dragonball series(although I did watch the original DBZ American Broadcast first), I like Kai a lot for cutting out filler, I like an even amount of goofiness and seriousness to the show, so for example, I disliked the Android and Cell sagas for lacking in goofiness but loved the Buu saga for mixing the two more so like the original series what with all the Mr. Satan goofiness(he's one of my favorite characters).

That all being said, I see a lot of negativity on youtube and other sites saying the show is trash. I'll take anything better than GT, and I loved the tournament arc that just concluded in the english broadcast, but I'm worried about where the show goes from here. Mostly worried about whether the show keeps feel of the original show, mixing comedy and action. I would like to know if those negative opinions I see a lot are justified. I know they are about the animation for sure, it looks horrid in some episodes, so I'd also like to know if the fight choreography and animation improves at all.

TLDR: I want to know the opinions of the people who watch the Japanese broadcast without spoiling anything after the point where the english broadcast is.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: [NO SPOILERS] Asking for opinions on Super overall

Post by Xeogran » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm

The next two arcs are Great and considering you're spoile rfree, you should enjoy the ride. DB Super only gets better after the U6 Tournament.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:55 pm

If you have managed to keep watching Super after the movie retellings (especially RoF) and the quite average U6 arc, then you are in for a ride.
The show's quality improves tremendously on the following story arcs.
The Japanese broadcast is at episode 116 right now, and there are still many awesome concepts that still have to be expanded on. I'm confident that, by the end of its run, Super will be fully able to stand near its predecessors DB and DBZ, and I dare say it might even surpass them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm

I'll start right off the bat by saying I think Super is a bad show.

Just to clear something up, Super isn't a bad show because weaker characters can keep stronger characters on their toes, Super is a bad show because it has a weak narrative structurally, it escalates too quickly and has weak world building and the majority of the arcs have weak unsatisfying conclusions to them and thats not even mentioning the plot holes(and I mean genuine plot holes) the show has.

From a characterization front Super has been handling some characters rather well, while others have had good idea's behind their characterization but they've been poorly realized and others have just been poorly handled generally.

Visually, though the show had an extremely rocky start, but it has sorted itself out in this recent arc, with the majority of the episodes being at the very minimun watchable.

The fights are OK the majority of the time, though they've tried to reel in powerlevels and go for more strategy based fights, they do fall back on powerlevels when they can't think of a way for a character to get out of a tight spot. The biggest problems with a lot of the fights is the lack of tension is either caused by the poor direction of specific episodes, or the other narrative reasons that keep the audience from feeling the adequate amount of suspense.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:25 pm

I agree that Super isn't a good show. If somehow you've liked what you've seen after the disastrous movie tellings and the ugly looking U6 arc though, you'll definitely like the next arc and the Tournament of Power arc after that. There's a nice quality jump from the Universe 6 arc to the Goku Black arc, but there's a tremendous leap in quality from the Goku Black arc to the Tournament of Power arc. The art and animation is some of the best in the entire franchise in this latest arc.

The show will keep getting better and better from this point out if you're watching the dub, but as JazzMazz said, it's still not a very good show and doesn't even come close to holding a candle to Z or DB.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm

The Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F retelling are overall inferior the their movie counterparts, but they're at least serviceable for laying down the foundation for future arcs. The Universe 6/Champa arc is a fun throwaway tournament, with Episode 39 in particular is where the show, for a lot of people and myself included, believe where Dragon Ball Super establishes itself as something unique. Or at the very least, provided a major "moment" for the franchise. Then the show just gets better and better from that point on. The Future Trunks arc is great and the Universal Survival arc is even better. Some of the highlights of the entire franchise, visually and in terms of writing, get produced in both those arc.

Overall, so far I think it's a very good show. Not as good as DB or Z, but good on its own devices.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Sanity's_Theif wrote:So first let me start off by saying I watch the english dub, so I just don't want spoilers on anything after that, I've been spoiled enough by youtube feeds haha, so I know there's a Goku Black, Zamasu, Jiren, tournament of Power, female super saiyans, but I don't know anything about them and I'd like to keep it at least at that. I watch this show with my girlfriend and it helps a lot to be able to share the moments together without me already knowing a lot(she's a big fan of the show too).

Another thing to preface, I don't think I'm the average American DBZ fan, for example, I love the original Dragonball series(although I did watch the original DBZ American Broadcast first), I like Kai a lot for cutting out filler, I like an even amount of goofiness and seriousness to the show, so for example, I disliked the Android and Cell sagas for lacking in goofiness but loved the Buu saga for mixing the two more so like the original series what with all the Mr. Satan goofiness(he's one of my favorite characters).

That all being said, I see a lot of negativity on youtube and other sites saying the show is trash. I'll take anything better than GT, and I loved the tournament arc that just concluded in the english broadcast, but I'm worried about where the show goes from here. Mostly worried about whether the show keeps feel of the original show, mixing comedy and action. I would like to know if those negative opinions I see a lot are justified. I know they are about the animation for sure, it looks horrid in some episodes, so I'd also like to know if the fight choreography and animation improves at all.

TLDR: I want to know the opinions of the people who watch the Japanese broadcast without spoiling anything after the point where the english broadcast is.
The good news is the dub has only aired the worse arcs people complain about, and you seem to like them. The upcoming ones are the best. That said, the Future Trunks saga does take a darker approach, so it may not be your cup of tea. The one following it does have a better mix of action and comedy.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm

You mentioned you prefer it when Dragon Ball leans more into the goofiness, or at least balances out the serious moments with comedy. In that case, you may be disappointed with the upcoming Future Trunks arc, which is arguably one of the darkest stories in the franchise. That's not to say it doesn't have it's moments of levity, but it's a big tone shift from the first three arcs. Fortunately, it's followed by a series of slice of life episodes that are all really funny and full of personality. One of them is a Dr Slump crossover, that's all you need to know.

After that, the Tournament of Power arc goes back to a mix of light and serious. The stakes are higher than ever and there are moments that really make you question the morality of the series' recurring tropes like Goku's love for battle. But it's also full of fanservice for old characters, gimmick tournament fighters and spectacular battles. It helps that there's a huge jump in production quality this arc, so just about every fight has cool factor.

So on the whole, Super is a good show and it's only been improving since the movie retellings. I'd certainly put it well above GT. It's ultimately not as good as DB/Z because it doesn't benefit from being all one person's creative vision. At times it suffers from a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, which can lead to things being inconsistent week to week. It also doesn't put nearly as much emphasis on character strength and power levels, preferring to focus on whatever makes the best spectacle instead. That's not a problem for me, but I know it is for a lot of people. Particularly with the Tournament of Power, it's often best to just throw out whatever preconceived notions you have about strength and transformation multipliers and just enjoy the ride.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:56 pm

There is plenty to enjoy here. I definitely think that it's a good show once you get past the retellings. It's a show that continues to improve in terms of its production.

If you're someone who watches Dragon Ball for those huge moments, then I can pretty much guarantee that you'll enjoy the show. There are some scenes in this show that would be in my top 10 moments in the entire franchise. The fights are really good once the Goku Black arc kicks into action. A bunch of talented animators step in and deliver some wonderful fight scenes.

The show is inconsistent when it comes to its writing though. It benefits from not having to adapt a weekly manga because the writers don't have to drag things out or create filler, so the pacing is mostly fine. The problem, however, is that because it isn't adapting a manga but rather story layouts written by Toriyama. What we get are different writers at Toei giving their own interpretations of Toriyama's plot in each episode. This is my biggest gripe with Super. It's kind of a mess when it comes to its writing. Thankfully, I'm not someone who watches Dragon Ball for its "riveting" storytelling. If the show can deliver on the characters, action and humour then I can enjoy it just fine. I believe Super does that well enough.

If you loved the Champa arc, then you are in for one hell of a ride. I am certain that you will enjoy Super.

I would not call this a bad show. Maybe if we were in late 2015/early 2016 I would agree with these statements, but the show has improved dramatically since its shaky beginnings.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:19 pm

The movie retelling arcs could be skipped since they don't bring in much up to the table, and they generally are worse than the movies they retell. Two of the few things they did better was the super saiyan god ritual and Vegeta vs. Freeza. The tournament against U6 was nothing too grand to write home about since most characters in it were unimpressive save for Hit and to a lesser extent Auta Magetta due to change of rules. The first two filler episodes after that are fine, specially the second since it explores a more sweet side of Dragon Ball. After that, we get a mediocre three-episode mini-arc with an unimpressive plot and fight, and broken power scale. After that, the future saga, which still remains the best of Super for me yet, begins. The future saga stars out great, but then things spiral out of control in the writing department after a while. Beyond that, about nine episodes of enjoyable filler until the Tournament of Power.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:14 am

Xeogran wrote:The next two arcs are Great and considering you're spoile rfree, you should enjoy the ride. DB Super only gets better after the U6 Tournament.
That was a great way to say that without spoilers and I agree with you.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:There is plenty to enjoy here. I definitely think that it's a good show once you get past the retellings. It's a show that continues to improve in terms of its production.

If you're someone who watches Dragon Ball for those huge moments, then I can pretty much guarantee that you'll enjoy the show. There are some scenes in this show that would be in my top 10 moments in the entire franchise. The fights are really good once the Goku Black arc kicks into action. A bunch of talented animators step in and deliver some wonderful fight scenes.

The show is inconsistent when it comes to its writing though. It benefits from not having to adapt a weekly manga because the writers don't have to drag things out or create filler, so the pacing is mostly fine. The problem, however, is that because it isn't adapting a manga but rather story layouts written by Toriyama. What we get are different writers at Toei giving their own interpretations of Toriyama's plot in each episode. This is my biggest gripe with Super. It's kind of a mess when it comes to its writing. Thankfully, I'm not someone who watches Dragon Ball for its "riveting" storytelling. If the show can deliver on the characters, action and humour then I can enjoy it just fine. I believe Super does that well enough.

If you loved the Champa arc, then you are in for one hell of a ride. I am certain that you will enjoy Super.

I would not call this a bad show. Maybe if we were in late 2015/early 2016 I would agree with these statements, but the show has improved dramatically since its shaky beginnings.
I think that was a fair statement and you didn't have to rely and saying curse words or calling a show trash.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:39 am

The U6 arc (28-41) and Black arc (47-67) are fun arcs that improved as they went on and showed the potential Super had but for me the current arc which started in 77 and is still ongoing is a complete mess.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:50 am

Everything after the first 2 arcs is way better.

The U6 vs U7 arc is average while the Black Arc is a HUGE jump! The writing and mainly art and animation get way better.

The Tournament of Power arc does have some power inconsistencies but then again, so does everything in Dragon ball.

Also, the Black arc and T.o.P arc are when Super gets pretty badass so be ready
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 am

Sanity's_Theif wrote:I watch this show with my girlfriend and it helps a lot to be able to share the moments together without me already knowing a lot(she's a big fan of the show too).
I would tell you to drop the show immediately if this wasn't in the equation, this complicates things..

Future trunks arc and forward has it's fair share of getting things right, sometimes amazing too! But here's the thing, if both of you value logic at all in a show, you will not like the problems the show will have going forward from this point, but as you seem to be interested in only sharing moments this may or may not be a concern..
I would suggest go for it but keep in mind, there will be a lot of moments where the only thing you will feel is "what just happened, why is thing so stupid.."
Just ignore those feelings, and move on..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am

Just wanted to thank everyone for taking their time, I appreciate all your thoughts. If nothing else it's given me hope that the show gets at least a little better from here overall. I didn't bother with the movie re-tellings much since I saw the movies recently.

I've also come to realize that I love the "filler" episodes in Super once I realized that people gave me the drop that there's going to be a few from now until the next arc picks up, and I actually got excited lol. I think at this point I've gotten all I need in terms of fighting from the series throughout the Z portion, and now I just really enjoy the character interactions the most, with the fights and story being second, seems to be the same with my girlfriend as well. The good amount of spotlight on Vegeta is going well for her especially since that's her favorite character.

Thanks again everyone!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am

Watch the movies, skip the re tellings, watch episodes 1-2, 15-18 i think it was, and after f. The "filler" episodes are pretty great.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Super is not a good show, but not a bad one either, it has flaws, but when it's good, it's pretty fucking good. A lot of times things in the plot and writing can make me really mad, but there is plenty to enjoy in this series, + it gets better every arc.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Sanity's_Theif wrote:So first let me start off by saying I watch the english dub
Well let me start of saying one of the positive of Super is the original voice acting, especially Nozawa during FTrunks arc lol
Mr. Satan goofiness(he's one of my favorite characters)
Now that's very nice to read, cheers I love the old man too lol
I want to know the opinions of the people who watch the Japanese broadcast without spoiling anything after the point where the english broadcast is.
A lot of mediocre episodes but few gems here and there, definitely worth to watch IMO lol

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 pm

I think it's pretty good after the U6 vs U7 tournament. The next arc has a fun story with some cool moments and great villains, and the arc after that is full of great character moments and fights. The current arc is also very long, so get ready for Z-like pacing and length.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.