How should they handle Bulma's next appearance in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: How should they handle Bulma's next appearance in Super?

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm

By hiring a really good replacement .

SirTorra wrote: Why are people act like its bulma that died? Bulma is alive and well as far as we know.
Hiromi was our Bulma.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm

They would recast Bulma. But they wouldn't recast Goku if his VA died or retired. I think that would put an end to dragonball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm

TBMx wrote:They would recast Bulma. But they wouldn't recast Goku if his VA died or retired. I think that would put an end to dragonball.
Like I said before, Lupin III was recast, Gokuu and the others will be recast.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
TBMx wrote:They would recast Bulma. But they wouldn't recast Goku if his VA died or retired. I think that would put an end to dragonball.
But will people accept a Goku that isn't Nozawa? (Excluding dubs of course)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
But will people accept a Goku that isn't Nozawa? (Excluding dubs of course)
There is at least one pretty good imitator around. If he can be signed up, we're golden.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm

People are really taking this too far. Bulma's VA isn't the first main cast member to die as Roshi, Tien, and Mr. Satan all been recast. Even the original narrator of the entire franchise got recast after the Battle of Gods Saga.

If anything, I can see them having Bulma remain silence for an episode like the did with Tien for the 2008 special, but that is as far as I see it going.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I'd just like everyone to act really happy to see her, even if it's a bit out of character. Just show how much the character means to the franchise.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm

My guess is a side appearance for an adventure on Earth with young Trunks, Gohan and Maron, who were on that island protecting its wildlife.

SirTorra wrote: Why are people act like its bulma that died? Bulma is alive and well as far as we know.
This.

I have to get this off my chest: when I see Tsuru memorial fanart of Bulma saying goodbye, it pisses me off because I'm getting the impression that Bulma is never going to come back to DB.

Which is not true at all, because Bulma - Goku's first friend, Vegeta's husband, Trunks' mother and the resident smart girl - is critically important in the DB saga. She will return, and live on.

As long as Bulma is alive, Hiromi Tsuru will live on as part of her.

JulieYBM wrote:Folks: they recast Lupin III. They will have no problem recasting Blooma.
They had to recast Lupin, two members died (Yasuo Yamada, Goro Naya - Lupin, Zenigata) and the other two (Eiko Masuyama, Makio Inoue - Fujiko, Goemon) got too old to do their roles. Right now only Kiyoshi Kobyasahi (Jigen) is around even though he's as old as Masako Nozawa and Joji Yanami (King Kai).

I guess we shall have to see who will succeed Tsuru as Bulma.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm

r.i.p to the actress but she has probably recorded lines for episodes at a time, and they can always use her old lines and voice overs for bulma

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:I have to get this off my chest: when I see Tsuru memorial fanart of Bulma saying goodbye, it pisses me off because I'm getting the impression that Bulma is never going to come back to DB.
I have always felt the same way about folks in the past with regard to this kind of fan art, and I initially went into this feeling the same way about Tsuru and Bulma fan art. I never really understood the urge to express it that way, and initially found the idea disrespectful; indeed, they are a person, not a character.

I have not felt this profound sense of loss before with Dragon Ball cast members, and I thought I was pretty devastated with Gori's passing in 2010. However, I found myself very upset looking at all the Bulma fan art -- not in the angry way as I thought I would be, but in an empathetic realization of camaraderie with these individuals. I was very surprised by my reaction in that way.

Different people deal with grief in different ways. Human beings are complicated, and our feelings are complicated. We work through these feelings and emotions in certain ways that feel appropriate to us at that point in time.

Far be it from me, and you, to judge how someone else processes and manages their grief. I understand this now, and wish I had learned it sooner.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:16 pm

They'll recast her and proceed as normal without acknowledging that anything changed.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Recast, don't let it affect the story. Put an in memoriam message before the credits of an episode, either the next episode or the next episode that has Bulma in it. She should have a proper tribute, but writing out the character or anything like that is unnecessary and maybe the wrong thing to do since that character's part of her legacy.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Most likely the new voice actress will try to mimic the old one at first but then grow into her own style. That's what happened when the Funimation voice actors took over from the Ocean dub group..

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Bulma is a very significant character, and I understand it's sad hearing a new voice after hearing one in particular for so long, but the show must go on. They shouldn't ghost the character out at all. In the dub, Bulma has had a ton of voice actresses.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 am

To those that say Bulls didn't die...I'd say something much worse happened. Her VA was a human being who contributed a lot to the franchise. Paying respect in a small way wouldn't be bad.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I have always felt the same way about folks in the past with regard to this kind of fan art, and I initially went into this feeling the same way about Tsuru and Bulma fan art. I never really understood the urge to express it that way, and initially found the idea disrespectful; indeed, they are a person, not a character.

I have not felt this profound sense of loss before with Dragon Ball cast members, and I thought I was pretty devastated with Gori's passing in 2010. However, I found myself very upset looking at all the Bulma fan art -- not in the angry way as I thought I would be, but in an empathetic realization of camaraderie with these individuals. I was very surprised by my reaction in that way.

Different people deal with grief in different ways. Human beings are complicated, and our feelings are complicated. We work through these feelings and emotions in certain ways that feel appropriate to us at that point in time.

Far be it from me, and you, to judge how someone else processes and manages their grief. I understand this now, and wish I had learned it sooner.
I apologize to anyone I offended with my words.

I forgot that Ms Tsuru was a beloved favourite to many fans, and I can understand if they feel DB will never be the same without her.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.