Is DBS taking inspiration from the classic Video Games?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Is DBS taking inspiration from the classic Video Games?

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Just something I've been thinking about recently.

Vegetto's Final Kamehameha was first used in Final Bout, and now everyone's favorite Insert Song is called "Ultimate Battle". It just feels like the higher-ups are revisiting some old games, and incorporating some of the ideas into the series.

Another example is Kefla, while not from a classic video game, she feels like a nod to Dragon Ball Fusion's Karoly, the Goku and Broly fusion.

Maybe I'll find some other examples later.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is DBS taking inspiration from the classic Video Games?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Well, if no one is capable of coming up with new techniques, all they can do is taking some from games, which is awesome to me. I truly expect to see more techniques from games in the main series. There are cool ones that Toei could bring to the series and give a nice touch/details (like the electricity in Final Kamehameha).

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegeta's God Final Flash is the one I expect to see the most. Look how awesome it is. :)
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm totally seeing the influence of the games incoperated to super, tien having a dojo is a nod to db online,justice kick is also a reference to one of the great saiyaman move,there more sadly i'm not the guy who play a lot of db games.
Mostly active on discord.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 am

I'm a little disappointed Kefla didn't have the two-toned green and yellow hair like Karoly.

Also, now that Super's done a version of Broly, will they do Bardock at some point? He's probably the most popular "guest character" in the video games after Broly.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I'm a little disappointed Kefla didn't have the two-toned green and yellow hair like Karoly.

Also, now that Super's done a version of Broly, will they do Bardock at some point? He's probably the most popular "guest character" in the video games after Broly.
I hope they don't make a Bardock-like character or make Bardock part of the show. He needs to just stay in the video games.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:54 pm

majinwarman wrote:I hope they don't make a Bardock-like character or make Bardock part of the show. He needs to just stay in the video games.
There's no need to make a Bardock-like character as the original one is already canonical. But I must ask, why should him "stay" in video-games?

~ Day of the Machines ~

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Grimlock wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I hope they don't make a Bardock-like character or make Bardock part of the show. He needs to just stay in the video games.
There's no need to make a Bardock-like character as the original one is already canonical. But I must ask, why should him "stay" in video-games?
I personally like the Masked Saiyan storyline in Xenoverse and Heroes. To bring that into Super will take that away from those games.
Majinwarman

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:02 pm

majinwarman wrote:I personally like the Masked Saiyan storyline in Xenoverse and Heroes. To bring that into Super will take that away from those games.
That's a concept from Dragon Ball Online and the game is dead unfortunately. Taking just Time Breaker Bardock, Mira and Towa to the series is fine. I'm all for video-game exclusive content too, but I think these major characters and the basic plot around them should get the green light to appear in the series already.

Dragon Ball Heroes has already created a new set of content through Mechikabura and the Dark Dragon Balls, so there's still plenty of new stuff to be kept in games without compromising everything else.

~ Day of the Machines ~

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Grimlock wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I personally like the Masked Saiyan storyline in Xenoverse and Heroes. To bring that into Super will take that away from those games.
That's a concept from Dragon Ball Online and the game is dead unfortunately. Taking just Time Breaker Bardock, Mira and Towa to the series is fine. I'm all for video-game exclusive content too, but I think these major characters and the basic plot around them should get the green light to appear in the series already.

Dragon Ball Heroes has already created a new set of content through Mechikabura and the Dark Dragon Balls, so there's still plenty of new stuff to be kept in games without compromising everything else.
It is something I just want, and if they do bring it into the series I won't be that mad. I just think that there should video games exclusive characters. But, if they do it then I hope that they just do it right.
Majinwarman

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:25 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
I personally like the Masked Saiyan storyline in Xenoverse and Heroes. To bring that into Super will take that away from those games.
I don't like the idea because I don't like modern Bardock in general. But I can see them maybe trying to bring him back as a guest character like they did with Trunks. It wouldn't be an expy either, nor would it likely have anything to do with the Masked Saiyan stuff. It would just be "hey, wouldn't it be cool if Goku finally teamed up with his dad?"

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
I don't like the idea because I don't like modern Bardock in general. But I can see them maybe trying to bring him back as a guest character like they did with Trunks. It wouldn't be an expy either, nor would it likely have anything to do with the Masked Saiyan stuff. It would just be "hey, wouldn't it be cool if Goku finally teamed up with his dad?"
Maybe they should do as an in between episode before the next arc like the mini Hit arc.
Majinwarman