POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm

precita wrote:I like them, but hopefully if/when we see them again after the TOP arc they increase up the shipping and make it obvious they're lesbian lovers. Their popularity will skyrocket if it happens. It's already heavily implied anyway to the Japanese, it's only that westerners don't understand yuri undertones in anime. The subs translating Kale calling her, "Sis" also makes it hard to understand they're not related.
I don't remember if I've told you this before, but I legitimately can't tell if you're being sarcastic sometimes with some of the stuff you post or if you actually 100% mean it.
BrolyKale wrote:^They are just best friends, like "sisters". I feel like some people never saw two girls being this close so when they see one they call them "lesbians" because... no reason. I'm also a girl and let me tell you that the way they are acting is pretty normal.
I feel like quite a few people here and the DB fanbase in general really need to study girls more.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:Caulifla is alright, but Kale sucks because she's Broly..
She's Broly without the pretty good backstory he originally had. Broly was pretty good in his first movie.
If we learned something about their past in episode 93 before the TOP, it'd have been much muuuuuch better. Just a little flashback where we see Caulifla and Kale and how they became best friends etc ... but now its too late, we have to wait I don't know how many episodes to discover their "story".
I don't think a backstory is an absolute necessity. Characters like Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, Vegeta or Freeza never received a proper backstory in the original manga but it didn't prevent all of those guys from becoming extremely well rounded and developed characters.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: I don't think a backstory is an absolute necessity. Characters like Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, Vegeta or Freeza never received a proper backstory in the original manga but it didn't prevent all of those guys from becoming extremely well rounded and developed characters.
A proper backstory might not be mandatory but something would help, all chars you mentioned had way more going on than the girls.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm ok without a back story, but mostly because Dragon Ball doesn't do much of that. One Piece I expect it from. Naruto I expected it from. Not DB.

I still want to see King Salada and the Uni 6 saiyan world though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't mind them, I think they provide an interesting way for the story to progress. I thought Kale was lame at first but I think she's fine now. I really like Kefla.

I think Cabba is the best character though. He's the one that doesn't feel like poorly strung together anime archetypes. I hope Caulifla and Kale evolve past their Peppermint Patty/Marcy dynamic into something more unique.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:24 pm

If the girls and Cabba will have big roles next year(if Planet Sadala arc becomes a reality) then they need a backstory imo, and make the arc with episodes mostly centered on their development and how they plan to overcome their weaknesses.

Most people care for development than fighting for the sake of doing it.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm

I feel like Caulifla and Kale should definitely have a backstory as to how they met and why Caulifla decided to take on this timid young girl as a protege, and why Kale looks up to her so much. Considering this is Super though, something tells me we'll never know.

Did Tien and Chiaotzu have a backstory as to how they met/why Chiaotzu adores Tien so much? I can't remember. Either way though the dynamic between Caulifla and Kale is a lot stronger than Tien/Chaiotzu

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 pm

I remember Ken Xyro did a poll like this on Twitter, and it showed 74% liked them and 26% hated them out of 4,555 votes (last I checked which was a week ago). I like them both, but Caulifla more so. Kale has grown on me, but I hope she can become more of an independent in the future.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:10 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I don't think a backstory is an absolute necessity. Characters like Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, Vegeta or Freeza never received a proper backstory in the original manga but it didn't prevent all of those guys from becoming extremely well rounded and developed characters.
A proper backstory might not be mandatory but something would help, all chars you mentioned had way more going on than the girls.
Tien was introduced as a pupil of another martial artist (sound familiar), Yamcha got nothing, Roshi got nothing, Vegeta's backstory is so paper thin and identical to that of Raditz and Nappa (Someone who works for Freeza) and Freeza himself gets nothing.
Asura wrote:Did Tien and Chiaotzu have a backstory as to how they met/why Chiaotzu adores Tien so much? I can't remember. Either way though the dynamic between Caulifla and Kale is a lot stronger than Tien/Chaiotzu
No. Tien and Chiaotzu never got a backstory as how they met and why they became so close. Not in the manga, or the anime, or the guidebook or in even in interviews. They're just introduced as Crane School pupils and that's it.

Dragon Ball has never been great with backstories. They're either paper thin or nonexistent.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Tien was introduced as a pupil of another martial artist (sound familiar), Yamcha got nothing, Roshi got nothing, Vegeta's backstory is so paper thin and identical to that of Raditz and Nappa (Someone who works for Freeza) and Freeza himself gets nothing.
Asura wrote:Did Tien and Chiaotzu have a backstory as to how they met/why Chiaotzu adores Tien so much? I can't remember. Either way though the dynamic between Caulifla and Kale is a lot stronger than Tien/Chaiotzu
No. Tien and Chiaotzu never got a backstory as how they met and why they became so close. Not in the manga, or the anime, or the guidebook or in even in interviews. They're just introduced as Crane School pupils and that's it.

Dragon Ball has never been great with backstories. They're either paper thin or nonexistent.
You have a great point there about not many backstories are told in Dragon Ball.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:11 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote: The Episodes they have been in have been good character building, I like the personalities, what backstories we have so far and their general attitude.
Would you be a dear and remind me which are? I must have missed it between the back tingling and Broly transformation lol
Yea it is not much to preach-on, it really was just her intro in U6 in that gang of hers when Cabba was recruiting them, it is nothing much just left me curious about more of their live. Not much to preach, but enough to give them a-litle on who they are in their universe.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: She's Broly without the pretty good backstory he originally had. Broly was pretty good in his first movie.
If we learned something about their past in episode 93 before the TOP, it'd have been much muuuuuch better. Just a little flashback where we see Caulifla and Kale and how they became best friends etc ... but now its too late, we have to wait I don't know how many episodes to discover their "story".
I don't think a backstory is an absolute necessity. Characters like Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, Vegeta or Freeza never received a proper backstory in the original manga but it didn't prevent all of those guys from becoming extremely well rounded and developed characters.
Maybe they are pretty good characters but I never liked Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, nor Vegeta I don't even find them interesting... I personally would like to know more about Caulifla's past, but that's just me. I really like these two females and I also like Jiren and Hit because I want to know more about them and this is what makes an interesting character to me.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:23 am

Hate 'em. And if they were the exact same characters but male instead of female, I highly doubt they'd be as popular as they are. They're just a couple of spoiled brats with cookie-cutter personalities.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

BrolyKale wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:If we learned something about their past in episode 93 before the TOP, it'd have been much muuuuuch better. Just a little flashback where we see Caulifla and Kale and how they became best friends etc ... but now its too late, we have to wait I don't know how many episodes to discover their "story".
Maybe they are pretty good characters but I never liked Tien, Yamcha, Roshi, nor Vegeta I don't even find them interesting... I personally would like to know more about Caulifla's past, but that's just me. I really like these two females and I also like Jiren and Hit because I want to know more about them and this is what makes an interesting character to me.
Fair enough.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:50 am

perucho1990 wrote:make the arc with episodes mostly centered on their development and how they plan to overcome their weaknesses.
They're as overpowered as they come and keep getting what they want so I don't know what weaknesses you're talking about.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

sintzu wrote:
They're as overpowered as they come and keep getting what they want so I don't know what weaknesses you're talking about.
They rely too much on raw power, they lack skills(specially Kale) and battle smarts.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:59 pm

sintzu wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:make the arc with episodes mostly centered on their development and how they plan to overcome their weaknesses.
We're talking about Kale and Caulifla and not Kefla right? Because Kale and Caulifla are nowhere near overpowered, they're not even major players in the tournament power-wise. They got destroyed by an exhausted SSG Goku, (who audibly pointed out their weaknesses) and individually are probably only about as strong as SSJ2 Goku if he wasn't tired. They're actually incredibly weak when pitted against the likes of Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo, Hit, and even Gohan and 17 would crush them.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:

At least we got Vegeta flashbacks as a kid with his father being bullied by Freeza, it gave us a full context for all these characters. Ok I can't think much about Yamcha but Tien did have enough to make sense of his earlier action and his char development was just logical, true you're right it's not ONLY the backstory, there's a lot of what you do with them. In so far, Caulifla is just another prodigy and Kale only there for the Broly callback. Maybe I am not right as in WHY I can't find these characters interesting but ANY of the original DB chars you mention have more appeal to me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Asura wrote:Because Kale and Caulifla are nowhere near overpowered.

They got destroyed by an exhausted SSG Goku, (who audibly pointed out their weaknesses) and individually are probably only about as strong as SSJ2 Goku if he wasn't tired.
The same Caulifla who unlcoked THREE Ssj trandformations in less than 2 days and Kale who took a Blue Kamehameha to the face like it was a punch from Yamcha ? those 2 ?

That's bad writing. A few episodes before we saw Kale who had a weaker beserk or whatever it's called form take a Kamehameha from a Blue Goku who wasn't tired at all yet nothing happened to her.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:01 pm

sintzu wrote:
Asura wrote:Because Kale and Caulifla are nowhere near overpowered.

They got destroyed by an exhausted SSG Goku, (who audibly pointed out their weaknesses) and individually are probably only about as strong as SSJ2 Goku if he wasn't tired.
The same Caulifla who unlcoked THREE Ssj trandformations in less than 2 days and Kale who took a Blue Kamehameha to the face like it was a punch from Yamcha ? those 2 ?

That's bad writing. A few episodes before we saw Kale who had a weaker beserk or whatever it's called form take a Kamehameha from a Blue Goku who wasn't tired at all yet nothing happened to her.
They're both still underpowered. Unlocking SSJ transformations means nothing when SSJ transformations are nothing compared to Blue, god level, and beyond. It might be complete bullshit, yes, I agree, but that doesn't make it overpowered.

As for Kale taking a Kamehameha from Blue, I refer you to this section of this video: https://youtu.be/BwGKF8_RO28?t=673 (also, not that I was ever a fan of the "SSB Goku is holding back" excuse that plagued almost every episode of the recruitment arc, but why wouldn't that same logic apply here too?)

I'd actually recommend watching the whole video too as it lays down a solid defense of why these characters are not as bad as some people make them out to be sometimes.