POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 am

So by this point it's probably well known that Kale and Caulifla are very controversial characters, but how do they fare on Kanzenshuu? Does the majority like them? Dislike them? Don't care either way?

http://www.strawpoll.me/14448938

Take the poll and let's find out.

Also, a question to those who hate both or one or the other, what would it take to get you to like the character(s)?
Last edited by Asura on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: POLL: How do you feel about Kale and Caulifla?

Post by MajinMan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 am

Caulifla is alright, but Kale sucks because she's Broly. It's obvious that they made her just so they can have a new Broly in this series. I think no matter what new things they do with her, the garbage Broly references will always stick out the most.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 am

They're both good. Caulifla's a delightful arsehole, exactly what you want from the first female Super Saiyan. Kale was rough, but got there in the end.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 am

I'm in the camp that wanted to love them (Who doesn't want badass female Super Saiyans?), but ended up disliking both of them.

Aside from Kale being a bit too meek and obsessed with Caulifla and Caulifla being a bit too ungrateful for my liking, I actually have little problem with their personalities. I actually usually find the passive, shy girl archetype to be cute. Kale just took it to a degree that bordered on parody at first. Dial it back a bit and have her start out more like she is currently and she's fine. Same for Caulifla, but in the opposite direction. Dial back the ungrateful brattiness a smidge and she's fine too. These are just minor nitpicks though. To be completely honest, the changes that would have gotten me to love them are actually incredibly simple fixes and have nothing to do with their personalities or mannerisms.

What made me resent Kale is that her Berserk schtick is blatant pandering to the Broly fandom. I actually have nothing against Broly, I actually like him despite his shallow motivations. I know better than to overhype his abilities, I just think he's dumb, cool fun. The fact that Kale as a character was a cheap attempt at coasting off of Broly's popularity irritated me on principle. Since I'm actually a bit of a Broly fan, Kale lifting Broly's most iconic scenes wholesale left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt disingenuous, like the writers were expecting me to fawn over her because she's like Broly. No and no thanks. If I wanted Broly, I already have Broly.

The simple fix for Kale would be to lessen the obviousness of her references to Broly. I don't mind her being a tasteful nod, emphasis on tasteful. I'd be fine if her Berserker form used her controlled state's appearance with blank eyes instead of her turning completely into "girl Broly". Keep the losing control and running wild characteristic, but keep the Broly-ness lowkey. When she gets control of her power, give her eyes pupils and leave it at that. She'd still be a nod to Broly, but she'd feel like more of her own character right from the start and it wouldn't be grating. Short answer: nix the heavy-handed pandering and keep the reference tasteful and more subtle.

The fix for Caulifla is even more simple. Provide a more reasonable timetable for her growth. It's literally as simple as having Cabba begin teaching Caulifla and Kale right after the Universe 6 tournament. Have him train alongside the girls from that point all the way up to the Tournament of Power. This would give ample time for believable power growth and remove the fandom's biggest complaint about her character - her excessively rapid growth. A prodigy unlocking Super Saiyan 2 in that amount of time is far more reasonable than earning it in less than two days. That's it! That's the only fix for Caulifla!

It sounds crazy, but there's nothing wrong with the Saiyan girls as characters as far as I'm concerned. My biggest issues come solely from the way they were written and the insultingly blatant pandering from Kale. Touch that up and we're golden.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 am

Kale is good, Broli fanservice aside. Amazing voice and her interactions with Cauli is nice. I also like her non-Broli design. She looks cute. I hope we get to see more of her. She has the potential to be a well developed character.

Cauli is okay. I don't hate her, but her design turns me off. Especially, the hair. It is distracting as fuck. But, again her interactions with Kale is nice.

Overall, I'd say they along with Ribrainne are positive additions to the franchise. I hope it is not a one time thing and they become permanent characters.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 am

I voted "I like Caulifla, but not Kale", but I wouldn't like Caulifla as much without Kale.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 am

I like "both" of them even though I prefer Caulifla's design.

Now what I don't like about Caulifla is her personality and what I don't like about Kale is that she has Broly's attacks and transformation + now her "own" transformation but still with Broly's attacks so every time I see her she reminds me of him... I'm also not a fan of Kale's personality. + I need to know their story, we have seen them for a long time now but we still don't know anything about their story.

It'd have been better if Kale never had Broly's attacks and transformation since the beginning, Broly fans wanted him and only him, and not another character who "represents" him.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:18 am

Asura wrote:A question to those who hate both, what would it take to get you to like the characters ?
Nothing, there's nothing redeemable about them. Ugly designs, annoying voices, obnoxious personalities & wasting too much screen time is unforgivable.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 am

Asura wrote: Also, a question to those who hate both or one or the other, what would it take to get you to like the character(s)?
Give them interesting backstory, make me care about them. What Super is doing worst is giving so much screentime to characters that are 100% botched from narrative pov.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 am

Caulifla is a great character because I really like her personality and design,my only problem with her is that she obtain SS2 quickly but other than that she is a great character.
    Kale is ok through not a huge fan of the broly homage but her interaction with Caulifla is cute and she did improve as a character.
      I do wish we had a backstory of them.
      Last edited by Spider-Man on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 am

I find them to be ok character,also good edition to the cast because i liked the mentor and student dynamic of goku and caulifla.Caulifla is a fun character,one thing i don't liked about her is her power up and maybe design other than she is an ok character.
        Kale used to be a terrible broly clone now she is not,her character is not that interesting,her interaction with caulifla made the latter more likable and her design is good,mostly her base form.
        Mostly active on discord.

Krillin1994
        Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:29 am

Upon their introductions I was excited, then after their first couple of episodes in the tournament of power I didn't enjoy them.

Then came a part where Caulifla seemed to calm down a bit, i.e showing that she cared for hit, Cabba. and then I know some people say 113 and 115 sucked, but the 4 epsidoes they had vs Goku thrilled me more than I've been thrilled by a long time in Super, I'd even say I enjoyed the fight more than Goku vs Jiren.

yeah the power scaling is a bit iffy, but for me if something is visually appealing and generates the giddy sort of feel I had when originally watching Dragonball stuff as a kid then I don't mind.

Plus I know it was nowhere near as violent as something like Videl vs Spopovich, but Goku was legitimately beating down these girls, (I think I've seen criticism in shows like one piece for not involving girls properly in fighting). Their gender wasn't limiting to their ability to be strong.

Kale got less Broly like which is obviously good, and she gained her own confidence, in 114 it was Caulifla who got nervous over SSG Goku, whereas Kale said blue or red it doesn't matter.

My one big concern is I like Cabba, and hope he doesn't get further shafted by these two saiyans having more focus.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks for the Vote, good timing to have a Vote on them since they are now sadly not in the ToP fight anymore.

Easy Vote for me, did not even have to consider the Opinions;

I LIKE BOTH OF THEM!

Granted it took abit for them to grow on me, Kale I started liking 1st much sooner then Caulifla but she grew on me soon after. Kale is the one thought I like the most right now out of the 2, but Caulifla has become grand too. The Episodes they have been in have been good character building, I like the personalities, what backstories we have so far and their general attitude. They indeed have a future in Dragon Ball as part of the Next Generation of Fighters IMO!

Also their power sets, looks, transformations and their Fusion into Kefla are really cool as well! :thumbup:
        --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
        Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
        Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
        My #1 in DB!
        :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
        http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote: The Episodes they have been in have been good character building, I like the personalities, what backstories we have so far and their general attitude.
        Would you be a dear and remind me which are? I must have missed it between the back tingling and Broly transformation lol

Ki Breaker
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am

I can't access the poll for some reason, my vote will go to fuck them both if there is that option..
        sintzu wrote: Nothing, there's nothing redeemable about them. Ugly designs, annoying voices, obnoxious personalities & wasting too much screen time is unforgivable.
        These are my thoughts as well, you can't fix it without some serious change in their personalities which will in turn more or less be changing the whole character..
        The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

FubukiFoxx
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

See, I used to hate them; I found them annoying, didn't like their lack of a backstory (due to time constraints), and felt their, er, speed at achieving new forms was a trifle too high, considering the time frame and how long they'd been on screen.

However, I've come to accept, and even like them now. Well, Caulifla at least. Kale I still find to be a bit underdeveloped, and, admittedly, a little bit boring. Caulifla on the other hand? I gotta admit, I like her spunk, and it's nice to see a female Super Saiyan; just hoping she doesn't get relegated to the role of house wife like basically every other female.

I'll say it, it'd be nice to see a chic fighting alongside the others against the big bad, and as a Saiyan, she's got a lot more potential than the past female fighters. Even though she's cocky, I've sort of come to like that. She's fun, and I like her design (as someone who's trying to learn to design better characters thematically).
        "I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

FubukiFoxx
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Thanks for the Vote, good timing to have a Vote on them since they are now sadly not in the ToP fight anymore.

Easy Vote for me, did not even have to consider the Opinions;

I LIKE BOTH OF THEM!

Granted it took abit for them to grow on me, Kale I started liking 1st much sooner then Caulifla but she grew on me soon after. Kale is the one thought I like the most right now out of the 2, but Caulifla has become grand too. The Episodes they have been in have been good character building, I like the personalities, what backstories we have so far and their general attitude. They indeed have a future in Dragon Ball as part of the Next Generation of Fighters IMO!

Also their power sets, looks, transformations and their Fusion into Kefla are really cool as well! :thumbup:
        I agree with you, though Caulfila has grown on me more than Kale. I just hope the writers don't hobble them too much, after we've had so many people calling them out on being so powerful (understandably so, but there's a place for strong female fighters on this show, if the writers are willing to be patient and not immediately write them off and make them fodder like so many other characters now).
        "I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

FubukiFoxx
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am

MajinMan wrote:Caulifla is alright, but Kale sucks because she's Broly. It's obvious that they made her just so they can have a new Broly in this series. I think no matter what new things they do with her, the garbage Broly references will always stick out the most.
        Where there's a will there's a way, with the write patience and creativity they could make her stand on her own two feet. They just need to take their time and really flesh out some character's personalities; sometimes a little downtime is necessary so that we get to understand our heroes a little better.

perucho1990
        I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Kale shouldnt have become Broly 2.0, she became likeable the moment she stopped being a Broly parody and was her own character, btw I think her controlled Berserker form is probably one of the best female designs in anime 2017.

As for Caulifla goes, its clear that she needs to become less arrogant and overconfident(Cabba pretty much foreshadowed her doom).

I agree that they badly need a backstory, hopefully its saved for Planet Sadala Arc, I would want the arc to be long, like long enough to cover a good chunk of 2018.

JulieYBM
        Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

They're good fan service. I enjoy them and wish they were the subject of their own moe anime with a better character designer and animators. I want to see how they met and see them get into shenanigans and misunderstandings because of their personalities.
        She/Her
        progesterone princess, estradiol empress
        bisexual milf