A Universe 11 Pride Trooper Spin-Off

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

A Universe 11 Pride Trooper Spin-Off

Post by Xeztin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm

With the recent chapter of Toyotaro on Super, I feel like Jiren has much more of a Superman like personality than just the silent buff guy that's being displayed in the anime. It seems Universe 11 is almost inspired by american comics such as Batman (Belmond) and Jiren (Superman). I suppose others could come from shows like GI Joe etc. Anyways, how would you feel about a manga spin off or animation of the Pride Trooper's adventures? It seems they are always busy. I think it'd make for a good side companion to Super like the Super Heroes manga. It'd be neat to see Jiren's rival and number 1 evil guy in Universe 11, probably another inspiration from american comics? What do you guy's think?

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: A Universe 11 Pride Trooper Spin-Off

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Eh, I dunno. Toppo's flamboyant personality is nowhere to be found in the manga, he's really quite dull actually. Then there's Jiren... Well, regardless of whether you think he does/does not have a personality in the anime, he obviously has much more of a personality in the manga, but he's rather boring so far, at least in my opinion. Apart from that we haven't really seen any of the other pride troopers personalities.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Asura wrote:Eh, I dunno. Toppo's flamboyant personality is nowhere to be found in the manga, he's really quite dull actually. Then there's Jiren... Well, regardless of whether you think he does/does not have a personality in the anime, he obviously has much more of a personality in the manga, but he's rather boring so far, at least in my opinion. Apart from that we haven't really seen any of the other pride troopers personalities.
More information needs to come out before we can jump the gun about potential spin-offs.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Konig
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konig » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Why not a Sailor Moon-esque manga featuring the Kamikaze Fireballs (Ribrienne, Kakunsa and Rozie)? lol
All joking aside, I'd dig a manga centered around the Pride Troopers, but I'm not so sure I'd be that much of a success among other fans, since I imagine the plot and style of the manga would be too different from what we see in Dragon Ball.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Asura wrote:Eh, I dunno. Toppo's flamboyant personality is nowhere to be found in the manga, he's really quite dull actually. Then there's Jiren... Well, regardless of whether you think he does/does not have a personality in the anime, he obviously has much more of a personality in the manga, but he's rather boring so far, at least in my opinion. Apart from that we haven't really seen any of the other pride troopers personalities.
Agreed. I don't really find Jiren that interesting as a character myself; unless they released some kind of prequel that showed how he became as he is, I don't think I would be interested. Some might disagree, but personally I find him incredibly bland, both in design and personality.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 pm

I like the idea, but I think it would work best if Jiren wasn't the focus. The rest of the Pride Troopers are fun, Jiren's stoicism sticks out like a sore thumb, and his power would make it hard to balance threats. I like to think the rest of the team secretly hates him for being a killjoy.

I'd prefer the idea of a more "day in the life" spinoff focused on the lower-ranked members like Dyspo or Khaseral. Keep Toppo around as the big boss giving the orders (and go with his anime portrayal rather than the manga) and maybe have him get his hands dirty for big threats. Maybe also have a running joke of Jiren always being off somewhere else when a major crisis happens. He always shows up too late to solve the problem.