Ultra Instinct should have been for Gohan

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ultra instinct should have been for gohan

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Whatever wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Can't argue that. Goku is a stud. He deserves UI.

As for Gohan, it took him 90 episodes to finally act on his words of trying to learn from his mistakes, and he's been unbearably dull throughout. I know some fans found him boring in DBZ, but I thought he was great in every arc, and besides the missing gap between the android and Cell Games arc, felt he developed better than most characters in the series. I loved his evolution, up until the Buu saga, where they started that trend of him not training.
Yeah classic Toriyama thing,he shows how awesome Goku is by accomplishing something much easier than others.

From the saiyan saga till the the androids,Gohan's character has been through a consistent development.
Then the cell games begin and everything changes,Gohan turns OC with the whole pacifist thing(which never comes up again after this) but hey at the least he learns from his mistakes and finishes of Cell right?

Then the Buu saga comes(or rather the Great saiyaman arc)Gohan is a better character overall,he is not just Piccolo's student or Goku's replacement,he is his own character,a problem with this is that Gohan's new traits are a first just like the pacifist thing in the Cell arc but at the least this traits stick around from this point on unlike the pacifist thing.

Then Ultimate Gohan comes,he is so powerfull and cool and he is even a savage in trashtalk as well!(pretty much fanfiction Gohan in terms of personality)
And then he screws up again,he makes the same mistake he did in the Cell saga,its like he learnt nothing,in fact he screws up even more than the Cell saga with the whole Super Buu and not being able to catch an earring as well.

I mean yeah Gohan along with Piccolo and Vegeta are the best developed characters in Z but the problem with Gohan was that he was pretty much a new character every main arc.
Him not training is not against his characters since he pretty much says from the 1st moment we meet him that he wants to be a scholar.

In super his character is consistent and he is learning from his mistakes at the very least.
To be fair, Cell Games Gohan wasn't completely OoC. Where he came from made sense. The guy had never even met Cell before that tournament, and all of a sudden he's not only the universe's only hope against him, but he has to kill him too. Add to the fact that he has to do so using a power he's seemingly scared of and has never been in control of. That's a ton of pressure for a 9 year old who, up until then, relied on Goku and Piccolo to take care of all the messes. They just really poorly executed this character development--a lot had to have happened during that period he was in the ROSAT.

When he finally taps into his powers, part of what he feared came true btw: he's consumed by rage, costs his father his life, and nearly endangers the universe.

As for the Buu saga, 7 years passed and Gohan is now a teenager, the man of the house, and an older brother, so it makes sense he's different to some extent. I wouldn't say he's inconsistent. I just feel "Ultimate Gohan" (his fighting drive/personality in that form) should have been present from the start. Him not training makes little sense to me, given everything he should have learned during the Cell Games. Then they regressed the character in Super, and he's been a follower since. Up until the current TOP arc, he was actually worse than his GT counterpart. Really lame.
Saturnine wrote:UI is something you can only achieve if you're already at a certain level of power, which Gohan is not. Not to mention it's been said to be extremely difficult to achieve, which means someone like Gohan will never have enough drive, and most importantly - time to pursue. Being a faster improver than both Goku and Vegeta means squat in this case.
I don't think you have to be a certain level to achieve UI. Whis had been trying to teach Goku and Vegeta about it for quite some time. Even if that is the case, though, this is Super, the show where someone can wank off and reach the level of the gods.

Part of the android saga was about ascending beyond SSJ to overcome the new threat. Everyone was more experienced than Gohan, but who ultimately reached SSJ2? The boy with no drive to fight.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Gohan didn't rely on Goku and Piccolo to take care of all the messes. He took charge in the Saiyan saga to go back to help Goku instead of leaving the fight with Vegeta all to him. He went alone to Namek with only Krillin and acted on his own will to try and save Namekians. Then he fought side by side with Krillin and Vegeta against seemingly the most unwinnable fight he's ever been in. He willingly wants to train and become a Super Saiyan, which his entire motivation is being able to fight for himself instead of having others constantly rescuing him. The pacifism in the Cell Games truly comes out of nowhere and is a huge contradiction to everything Gohan has ever done and said beforehand.

I agree that he's much more consistent of a character from Buu saga and onwards in Super and GT, but he's been shafted hardcore in both those shows to the point where he's barely a character in either of them. They brought Gohan back into this arc finally, but he has yet to do anything that impressive, and is often treated like a baby by Goku, Piccolo, and Freeza because of how weak the writers keep showing him as.

I hope Gohan lasts for a very long time in the tournament and gets some spotlight to show that he can be both a fighter and a family-man at the same time instead of one or the other like we've seen for most of Super and in GT. Gohan is known for his rage boosts and I think the last rage boost we saw from him was when Spopovich was beating up Videl, so I feel like it's long overdue to bring in elements from his childhood instead of going only the boring weak family-man route, which like I said is consistent from Buu saga and up, but it's just not very good or interesting for his character.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Asura wrote:Gohan didn't rely on Goku and Piccolo to take care of all the messes. He took charge in the Saiyan saga to go back to help Goku instead of leaving the fight with Vegeta all to him. He went alone to Namek with only Krillin and acted on his own will to try and save Namekians. Then he fought side by side with Krillin and Vegeta against seemingly the most unwinnable fight he's ever been in. He willingly wants to train and become a Super Saiyan, which his entire motivation is being able to fight for himself instead of having others constantly rescuing him. The pacifism in the Cell Games truly comes out of nowhere and is a huge contradiction to everything Gohan has ever done and said beforehand.

I agree that he's much more consistent of a character from Buu saga and onwards in Super and GT, but he's been shafted hardcore in both those shows to the point where he's barely a character in either of them. They brought Gohan back into this arc finally, but he has yet to do anything that impressive, and is often treated like a baby by Goku, Piccolo, and Freeza because of how weak the writers keep showing him as.

I hope Gohan lasts for a very long time in the tournament and gets some spotlight to show that he can be both a fighter and a family-man at the same time instead of one or the other like we've seen for most of Super and in GT. Gohan is known for his rage boosts and I think the last rage boost we saw from him was when Spopovich was beating up Videl, so I feel like it's long overdue to bring in elements from his childhood instead of going only the boring weak family-man route, which like I said is consistent from Buu saga and up, but it's just not very good or interesting for his character.
Pretty much agree with what you wrote. I should have rephrased that: "up until then, he could depend on Piccolo and Goku if he could not stand on his own". That was the only instance he was the ONLY hope, even with everyone else present in the battlefield.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:58 am

Whatever wrote:>UI is for those who dedicated their life to martial arts
>perfect for Gohan
???????????????????????
Agreed. If Gohan had stayed more like his Cell Saga self, it would have been perfect, and he would have very much deserved the UI form over Goku. However, in his current state, I don't think so, not with how he's been flip flopping between wanting to fight and wanting to be a scholar who doesn't fight.

(But honestly, he could very easily do both, and be a complete badass at the same time; imagine a Gohan with the attitude of the Cell Saga kicking butt then returning home to spend time with his family.)
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:00 am

Asura wrote:Gohan didn't rely on Goku and Piccolo to take care of all the messes. He took charge in the Saiyan saga to go back to help Goku instead of leaving the fight with Vegeta all to him. He went alone to Namek with only Krillin and acted on his own will to try and save Namekians. Then he fought side by side with Krillin and Vegeta against seemingly the most unwinnable fight he's ever been in. He willingly wants to train and become a Super Saiyan, which his entire motivation is being able to fight for himself instead of having others constantly rescuing him. The pacifism in the Cell Games truly comes out of nowhere and is a huge contradiction to everything Gohan has ever done and said beforehand.

To be honest, they should have had him just keep training after the Buu arc, making him quit again just feels like they wrote themselves into a corner.

On the one hand, if they don't include Gohan in arc, the fans get unhappy, but if they do include him, he's often treated as a weakling, and because of his lack of training, any new transformations would feel decided undeserved compared to other characters who have never stopped training (and have still never gotten the spotlight).
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:45 am

FubukiFoxx wrote:

To be honest, they should have had him just keep training after the Buu arc, making him quit again just feels like they wrote themselves into a corner.

On the one hand, if they don't include Gohan in arc, the fans get unhappy, but if they do include him, he's often treated as a weakling, and because of his lack of training, any new transformations would feel decided undeserved compared to other characters who have never stopped training (and have still never gotten the spotlight).
Damned if Gohan does, damned if he doesn't.

By the way, you know you can edit your posts right?

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 am

[spoiler]
Asura wrote:
FubukiFoxx wrote:

[/spoiler]

Which ones did I need to edit?
Sorry, I'm pretty new here, but I get the impression I posted something incorrectly, yes? (⋟﹏⋞)

(I just put the replies in a spoiler so they wouldn't clutter things, if that helps at all?)

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
To be fair, Cell Games Gohan wasn't completely OoC. Where he came from made sense. The guy had never even met Cell before that tournament, and all of a sudden he's not only the universe's only hope against him, but he has to kill him too. Add to the fact that he has to do so using a power he's seemingly scared of and has never been in control of. That's a ton of pressure for a 9 year old who, up until then, relied on Goku and Piccolo to take care of all the messes. They just really poorly executed this character development--a lot had to have happened during that period he was in the ROSAT.

When he finally taps into his powers, part of what he feared came true btw: he's consumed by rage, costs his father his life, and nearly endangers the universe.

As for the Buu saga, 7 years passed and Gohan is now a teenager, the man of the house, and an older brother, so it makes sense he's different to some extent. I wouldn't say he's inconsistent. I just feel "Ultimate Gohan" (his fighting drive/personality in that form) should have been present from the start. Him not training makes little sense to me, given everything he should have learned during the Cell Games. Then they regressed the character in Super, and he's been a follower since. Up until the current TOP arc, he was actually worse than his GT counterpart. Really lame.
The pressure of having to take down a behemoth without being told about it while your father is watching,thinking he values a fair match more than your life?
Understandable but most of the drama in the cell games came from Gohan's sudden pacifism,he even stops fighting Cell for that reason.
He got development in the Cell games but the development he got(that its ok to fight for something you want to protect) its something that he already knew before the Cell games but that was undone due to his sudden pacifism,so he was back to where he started.

As for the Buu saga,Ultimate Gohan was pretty much a character that had every trait some casual fan would think 'its cool' put together but it was so unlike Gohan for the most part,hence feeling more like a fanfaction character.
Him not training makes sense considering how his character has been established in the Buu saga,so they did not regress him and if anything they give him the development he needed since the Cell saga.
Asura wrote:

The writers do not show him weak,they have been showing him as he was showed in Z,a bad fighter with a huge power level and even in the Cell saga Gohan needed help from his dad all the way to pull through.
Last time Gohan got a rage boost was at the Cell games,when Spopovich was beating up Viden he just got angry.
You seem to want Gohan to get a rage boost just for the cool factor,Gohan getting a rage boost would be a bad idea since it would backtrack the development he got in Super so far,not to mention with the way Ultimate works he cannot get any rage boosts anymore.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:35 am

Gohan is the most laziest fighter so why should he get to a form that is hard to learn?

Gohan deserves nothing and should not be apart of the main fighting cast.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

Nah. Ultra Instinct shouldn't have been for Gohan. Goku may have "accidentally" attained Ultra Instinct, but you can't say it's something that Goku doesn't deserve, the guy train constantly with the greatest martial art teacher in the universe (Whis). And learned first hand from him the concept of Ultra Instinct. If any other Saiyan has to be given the form, it's Vegeta.

I mean, if we're going by the criteria of "UI is for those who dedicated their life to martial arts", then Gohan is never going to attain Ultra Instinct.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Nah. Ultra Instinct shouldn't have been for Gohan. Goku may have "accidentally" attained Ultra Instinct, but you can't say it's something that Goku doesn't deserve, the guy train constantly with the greatest martial art teacher in the universe (Whis). And learned first hand from him the concept of Ultra Instinct. If any other Saiyan has to be given the form, it's Vegeta.

I mean, if we're going by the criteria of "UI is for those who dedicated their life to martial arts", then Gohan is never going to attain Ultra Instinct.
True, Gohan doesn't deserve it and would feel like it came out of nowhere.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:33 pm

FubukiFoxx wrote:[spoiler]
Asura wrote:
FubukiFoxx wrote:

[/spoiler]

Sorry, I'm pretty new here, but I get the impression I posted something incorrectly, yes? (⋟﹏⋞)

(I just put the replies in a spoiler so they wouldn't clutter things, if that helps at all?)
I meant that I've noticed you keep making multiple posts in a row, which is usually referred to as "double posting". You can instead edit your original post and put your thoughts in there, as well as even to quote people, they'll still get the notification that you quoted them. Usually it's good habit not to post twice in a row, or three times, or etc. After someone else has posted you can post again under them.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Whatever wrote: He got development in the Cell games but the development he got(that its ok to fight for something you want to protect) its something that he already knew before the Cell games but that was undone due to his sudden pacifism,so he was back to where he started.

As for the Buu saga,Ultimate Gohan was pretty much a character that had every trait some casual fan would think 'its cool' put together but it was so unlike Gohan for the most part,hence feeling more like a fanfaction character.
Him not training makes sense considering how his character has been established in the Buu saga,so they did not regress him and if anything they give him the development he needed since the Cell saga
You know, something similar happened to Yusuke in the middle of his fight with Yomi in Yu Yu Hakusho. All of a sudden, he felt fighting was pointless. In Gohan's case, he went to Namek for a reason: to revive his friends. Then, it became a game of survival. The Cell Games made no sense. It truly was a senseless spectacle that he didn't want to be a part of, and he wanted Cell to realize that. Additionally, he was scared of tapping into a power he never had in the past. Basically, the reason behind his sudden pacifism makes sense, given the character, but the execution was piss poor.

Ultimate Gohan's demeanor and attitude would have been the most logical development of the character, as a fighter, after killing Cell, watching his father die, witnessing his brother being born, and realizing he's humanity's greatest hope if anyone like Cell ever appears. I emphasize, as a fighter. As in, he should have trained. Him training and being a goofy scholar outside of fights are not mutually exclusive. I don't see how this is anything like a fanfiction character. He wasn't different either. He composed himself exactly the same when he tried to stop Buu from being hatched. He did get careless though.

And no, him not training in Super makes even less sense. He learned from his mistakes in the Babidi saga, when he was mopped by Buu; I believe he even laments this somewhere in the saga. All of this should have served as a wake up call that he needs to take advantage of his abilities, especially now that he is a family man. It's the ULTIMATE regression to continue the trend of him not training after the Buu saga. Even in GT he trained, though he was handled horrible there too.

There are so many better ways to write this character, without relegating him to some scholar who hates training. And yes, that includes ways where it would have made sense for him to be the one with ultra instinct instead. Of course, with how he's handled in Super, I'm glad Goku got it.
You seem to want Gohan to get a rage boost just for the cool factor,Gohan getting a rage boost would be a bad idea since it would backtrack the development he got in Super so far,not to mention with the way Ultimate works he cannot get any rage boosts anymore.
Him getting a rage boost has little to do with his development as a character. It's also never stated that his ultimate form impedes him from getting a rage boost either.

Honestly, rage boost shouldn't even be a thing. It was Gohan's hidden powers, and should be retconned as such.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:55 pm

>perfect for Gohan
???????????????????????
Without needing to bash any character `cause, yeah I side with the sentiment.

Gohan`s thing as a figther has always been raw potential but UL is a different thing. In terms of theme it should be awarded for dedication to the arts. It`s more about finesse and control than being born with higher power.

I don`t mind Goku having it because he deserves it, I just don`t like him having every single asspull of the show. Some should have Kaioken, fusions, god form, others UL, etc. That would be far more interesting.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Olympian wrote:
>perfect for Gohan
???????????????????????

Gohan`s thing as a figther has always been raw potential but UL is a different thing. In terms of theme it should be awarded for dedication to the arts. It`s more about finesse and control than being born with higher power.

I don`t mind Goku having it because he deserves it, I just don`t like him having every single asspull of the show. Some should have Kaioken, fusions, god form, others UL, etc. That would be far more interesting.
Luckily, the greatest asspull in the series was attained by Trunks

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:08 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Olympian wrote:
>perfect for Gohan
???????????????????????

Luckily, the greatest asspull in the series was attained by Trunks
I think everyone here is trying to forget about that one.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Asura wrote:
FubukiFoxx wrote:[spoiler]
Asura wrote:

[/spoiler]

I meant that I've noticed you keep making multiple posts in a row, which is usually referred to as "double posting". You can instead edit your original post and put your thoughts in there, as well as even to quote people, they'll still get the notification that you quoted them. Usually it's good habit not to post twice in a row, or three times, or etc. After someone else has posted you can post again under them.
Ahh, okay. I'm sorry about that, I didn't know ><

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:25 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
You know, something similar happened to Yusuke in the middle of his fight with Yomi in Yu Yu Hakusho. All of a sudden, he felt fighting was pointless. In Gohan's case, he went to Namek for a reason: to revive his friends. Then, it became a game of survival. The Cell Games made no sense. It truly was a senseless spectacle that he didn't want to be a part of, and he wanted Cell to realize that. Additionally, he was scared of tapping into a power he never had in the past. Basically, the reason behind his sudden pacifism makes sense, given the character, but the execution was piss poor.
And before the cell games Gohan was never afraid of his power and he knew he was going to the Cell games to fight,so his whole reaction to his power and the Cell games never made any sense,it also contradicted the reason Gohan went in the HTC to train.
Ultimate Gohan's demeanor and attitude would have been the most logical development of the character, as a fighter, after killing Cell, watching his father die, witnessing his brother being born, and realizing he's humanity's greatest hope if anyone like Cell ever appears. I emphasize, as a fighter. As in, he should have trained. Him training and being a goofy scholar outside of fights are not mutually exclusive. I don't see how this is anything like a fanfiction character. He wasn't different either. He composed himself exactly the same when he tried to stop Buu from being hatched. He did get careless though.
Thats not really the case,he was way more arrogant and careless than he was ever before,when he composed himself when Buu was about to be hatched,he was
steadfastly determined and nothing like like Ultimate Gohan,which seemed and fitted more in character.
And no, him not training in Super makes even less sense. He learned from his mistakes in the Babidi saga, when he was mopped by Buu; I believe he even laments this somewhere in the saga. All of this should have served as a wake up call that he needs to take advantage of his abilities, especially now that he is a family man. It's the ULTIMATE regression to continue the trend of him not training after the Buu saga. Even in GT he trained, though he was handled horrible there too.
Him not training is not a regression if thats what he has been doing since the Buu saga and no he did not learn from his mistakes in the Babidi saga since he was handed power in a silver platter,his reward for slacking was him becoming the strongest just by sitting in a hill for a few hours.
As for GT it was never stated that he trained in show if i remember correctly,it was only said in the GT Perfect files but then again the GT Perfect files said base GT Goku is as strong as ssj3 buu saga and he struggled to lift a building so.....
There are so many better ways to write this character, without relegating him to some scholar who hates training. And yes, that includes ways where it would have made sense for him to be the one with ultra instinct instead. Of course, with how he's handled in Super, I'm glad Goku got it.
I mean now it seems like the right balance was found,of course he won't train as much or intense as Vegeta/Goku/Piccolo do but considering his scedule and character it seems to have found the right ammount.
Even if he trained after the Cell saga it would never make sense for him to attain UI since he was never devoted to the martial arts and UI has nothing to with raw power anyways which all Gohan has got going for as a fighter.
If anything it would make the most sense for Vegeta/Piccolo/Tien/Roshi to get it next.
Him getting a rage boost has little to do with his development as a character. It's also never stated that his ultimate form impedes him from getting a rage boost either.

Honestly, rage boost shouldn't even be a thing. It was Gohan's hidden powers, and should be retconned as such.
Gohan's rage boost were pretty much his secret/latent power,Elder Kai's ritual brought out all his hidden power out and beyond his limit so yeah his Ultimate form is just that,all Gohan's hidden/latent power out.So unless he aims to achieve Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue,his Ultimate form is the strongest he will get.

Honestly,Gohan's potential has been retconned a lot of times and how it works.
Future Gohan a 23rd old Gohan that actually trained cannot beat even a weaker version of 17 but wait it turns out his 10 year old can beat Cell with just a year of training!
He got his potential unleashed from Guru but wait it turns out ssj2 is his true potential but no just kidding turns out its the Ultimate form after all.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:34 pm

FubukiFoxx wrote:
Asura wrote:
FubukiFoxx wrote:[spoiler][/spoiler]

Don't worry about it at all! We were all new to forums at one time or another. :D

So where does Gohan's character go from here? How can it be shown that Gohan is back in action? He's gotten his ultimate form back but hasn't really done much with it. Does he deserve a big win in this tournament, or even another transformation? How do you give Gohan fans what they want without giving him undeserved victories/transformations? So hastily reintroducing Gohan into this arc has ensured that he's either a disappointment or he does too much from too little development.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:05 am

Asura wrote:
FubukiFoxx wrote:
Asura wrote:
Don't worry about it at all! We were all new to forums at one time or another. :D

So where does Gohan's character go from here? How can it be shown that Gohan is back in action? He's gotten his ultimate form back but hasn't really done much with it. Does he deserve a big win in this tournament, or even another transformation? How do you give Gohan fans what they want without giving him undeserved victories/transformations? So hastily reintroducing Gohan into this arc has ensured that he's either a disappointment or he does too much from too little development.
Hm...I think he really just needs to get back into training consistently (and not just for one arc), and if the writer's want to give him a new transformation, have him really earn it, like he did with SSJ2 back in the day. I think it would be better to give him some kind of transformation in the next arc, if they are planning to give him one; show how hard he's been working towards catching back up with the others, and show that he really does want to improve and protect his loved ones. For example, it could be interesting, if there was an arc on Planet Sadala, if he doesn't go along with the others to be given the chance to train with another character...I'd personally be interested to see him, one day, train with Whis, and have the writer's show how much effort he's putting in to get back into the game (making it all the sweeter when he would eventually get something like UI).

I think, mostly, complications arise when he hasn't been training (and is consequentially weak), and he sort of flip flops between wanting to train to become stronger, and wanting to give up fighting, like he did before the Buu Saga. The writer's probably need to choose one option for the character; either have him seriously get back into fighting (something I would want to see), and then any transformations he would get would be well earned, or keep him out of fighting but still able to be useful, such as providing intelligent input or strategy.

Of course, I want to see the first option; I love Gohan, and pre-Buu Saga he was one of my absolute favourite characters, but it feels like they don't know whether they want to keep him out of fighting properly, or have him return to his former glory (e.g, he trains for the Buu Saga, and achieves his mystic form, but then immediately gives up training once again).
Perhaps he needs a rivalry, or otherwise some other form of incentive to keep him training, because so far whenever there is no threat to the world, he simply stops training completely. That's not to say he needs to train as extensively as someone like Goku, but it would be good to see him consistently putting in effort to improve; holding a balance between his training and his homelife.
Maybe Videl could even get back into training (now that Pan is born) in her spare time, and at least give him a basic partner to work with (I would like for Videl to be more relevant, even though I don't see her ever becoming a full-time fighter again), similarly to how Chi-Chi would train with Goten (speaking of, Goten and Trunks need some revitalised importance, too).

Essentially, I think the flip-flopping of his character's motivation is a big issue for him right now. If he gives up training again, it upsets his fans, but if they don't have him train but still have him show up to confrontations, he's liable to pull some new (and probably undeserved) transformation out of the blue.
It's a tricky situation for him, and as I said, it could have been a lot easier if he'd just never stopped training after the Buu Saga.