Do you consider all the new TOP fighters to be a major part of Dragonball lore?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do you consider all the new TOP fighters to be a major part of Dragonball lore?

Post by precita » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Let's face it, after the TOP ends we're unlikely to see 90% of the fighters in this tournament ever again, outside of the Universe 6 fighters. And this is assuming everyone is brought back to life somehow.

Do you consider these 70 fighters a permanent part of Dragonball lore? Or do you just view them like all of Freeza's extra random henchmen designs we see in the Namek saga, Bardock special, or when he came to Earth two times? Freeza has dozens of unnamed henchmen warriors, all with different designs and you can't consider them "real" characters. Is this the same here?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Do you consider all the new TOP fighters to be a major part of Dragonball lore?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm

We will most likely see Universe 6 again in a big way and maybe Universe 11.

If we get another tournament involving the other Universes then we will probably see most of them again.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you consider all the new TOP fighters to be a major part of Dragonball lore?

Post by Saturnine » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Well, if the very same cast of characters appears in the manga too, then that'll mean they're not just some random, nameless mooks like Freeza's men.

Nazabrax

Post by Nazabrax » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Not everyone of them...that's a very hard question to do right now, when we don't have any idea of the story of the next arc... well, maybe something that kinda comes to my mind is a Planet Sadala arc, but that's it. Some people say that at the end of this arc maybe it could be the chance for Zarama to at last appear...

But who knows what comes next, and I think that's what mostly defines who stays in the lore with all these new fighters from different universes. Besides the obvious choices from Universe 6, I believe that most of the robot fighters won't be remembered again (I kinda want to see Maji Kayo again)... also, all the fighters from Universe 10 are completely going to be forgotten... Most of the fighters from Xeles Universe, with the exception of Ribirianne, not sure about the yardratian... I really hope that the trio de dangers come back... I'm not sure about the Namekians...but since they have no personality right now, I guess they're gonna fuse...and maybe the fusion actually starts having interesting dialogue. Who knows..
Toriyama Says:
One evening half a year ago, I picked up a stray cat. It was raining that night, and the cat looked so pitiful, I decided to bring it into the house until the rain stopped. But, it's a cute, friendly cat, and we ended up keeping it after all. It's solid black, so we named it "Koge" ("scorched"). In addition, my assistant hates big cats. Matsuyama-kun gets really scared when he comes into work now.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Only the major uni 6 characters, Jiren, Toppo, and Ribrianne. Every other character hasn't even gotten screen time in this arc...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 pm

We will probably see all Universe 6 characters again apart from Dr Rota as he is just a joke character. I still don't know why Toriyama gave Universe 6 a joke character.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 pm

I think a Few will have a major part in the Lore going Forward, besides U6.

* U11 easy, mainly Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo and Kahseral!

* U2 easy, Mainly the Magical Trio Brianne, Sank Ku and Su Roas ~ Likely as well Jimeze and maybe to Vikal and Zarbuto to get into why their are Tuffles in U2.

* U4 easy, The Riviry between Beerus and Quitela will be a driving force for them being a Bad Guy Universe and likely the Bugs might play a role as well.

U9 ~ Mainly the Trio De Dangers.

Everyone Else, U3, U10 I am not really seeing them as major parts in the future, I hope I am wrong cause I want a everyone universe to have it place in the lore, but sadly I can't think of notable characters or reasons in story yet. Hope Toei will come-up with reasons.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Everything is gloom and doom with you.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:We will most likely see Universe 6 again in a big way and maybe Universe 11.

If we get another tournament involving the other Universes then we will probably see most of them again.
No, please, no :crazy:

As for the question I say maybe not, just the main pride troopers and Caulifla / Kale, Kafla and the previously stated U6 members. Maybe the Trio the Dangers.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Yedis wrote:Everything is gloom and doom with you.
Who? You mean precita? How so? He mentions what he likes in DBS all the time. If anyone is gloom and doom around here, it's me since I've lost all faith in ever genuinely liking the show and even follow the philosophy of keeping my expectations painfully low with the possibility of being pleasantly surprised when DBS actually does something I enjoy. (And even then I'm still somehow disappointed since they somehow manage to go even lower than my expectations)

And with that said, no I don't expect most of them to ever even appear again. Appule, Orlen, and Nabana will be more remembered than most of them. We'll be lucky if characters like the Trio de Dangers even come back somehow. Also, if the universes aren't somehow brought back, then I will stand by that introducing several more universes just to destroy most of them is a stupid storytelling decision.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:44 pm

No, mainly because I never expect to see them again after this arc. Most of them were given zero build-up, backstory, or even reasonable screen-time, which makes me believe they don't care about any of those characters and probably won't use them again. Jiren, Toppo, Hit, Kefla, and possibly Ribrianne will be seen later, but I wouldn't be surprised if we never see any of them again except U6 and Jiren.

They could have easily used this time to build up backstory and things about other universes and pretty much did none of that. If any of their universes are introduced it will be totally different because we don't know anything about pretty much any of them. There's no lore even being created except briefly around the Trio De Dangers, and Pride Troopers. Almost everyone else is just a generic character with ki blasts that can be swapped with any other fodder and make no difference.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:39 pm

If it exists inuniverse, its part of the lore. Every character introduced so far will forever be part of the Dragonball lore. From the bunny of universe 9 to the namekians of universe 6 all the way to Jiren the Grey from universe 11, all are part of canon and lore of Dragonball.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 am

Apart from a handful of them, the rest are as important and memorable as Freeza's hencmen on Namek. So mcuh more could've been done if each universe was limited to 5 fighters or less but they needed that false hype so here we are.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 am

Hmm... some of them yes, most of them no. All of the U6 fighters are a major part of DBZ lore, as are U11. Maybe U10 is a major part of Dragonball lore because Gowasu and the Zamasu arc? And do the new GoDs count? Cause they're a major part of DBZ lore obviously.

And then there's Ribrianne, I guess... :|

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:18 am

sintzu wrote:Apart from a handful of them, the rest are as important and memorable as Freeza's hencmen on Namek. So mcuh more could've been done if each universe was limited to 5 fighters or less but they needed that false hype so here we are.
All of them are part of Dragonball lore. We know atleast 3 things about all of them, their, name,that they were selected to represent their universe because they're capable fighters and that they participated in the biggest event in Dragonball history, The Tournament of Power. However small their role, they make up the minor lore of Dragonball. Thus they are part of the full lore.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 am

SirTorra wrote:All of them are part of Dragonball lore. However small their role, they make up the minor lore of Dragonball. Thus they are part of the full lore.

We know atleast 3 things about all of them, their name and that they were selected to represent their universe.

They participated in the biggest event in Dragonball history, The Tournament of Power.
Anything that has DB's name in one way or another makes up a part of its lore but they should've been handled a lot better than they were based on how hyped up this tournament and the unverses were.

I can't even remember what they look like let alone anything about them. I remember more about Appule than I do about these so called "representatives" of their universes. If the best these universes have to offer are less memorable than Appule who only had a few seconds of screen time then it serves them right to get erased.

It's also the most disappointing, underwhelming & boring event. I remember when I first watched DB how excited I'd get for a tournament and how epic each one was but they couldn't have dopped the ball harder if they tried with this one (and Champa's to a lesser extent).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 am

SirTorra wrote:If it exists inuniverse, its part of the lore. Every character introduced so far will forever be part of the Dragonball lore. From the bunny of universe 9 to the namekians of universe 6 all the way to Jiren the Grey from universe 11, all are part of canon and lore of Dragonball.
Well duh. The keyword in the title is MAJOR.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:29 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
SirTorra wrote:If it exists inuniverse, its part of the lore. Every character introduced so far will forever be part of the Dragonball lore. From the bunny of universe 9 to the namekians of universe 6 all the way to Jiren the Grey from universe 11, all are part of canon and lore of Dragonball.
Well duh. The keyword in the title is MAJOR.
The only major ones are Universe 6 who will all probably be recurring characters again apart from Dr Rota and obviously Jiren, Toppo and Dyspo.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 am

Considering how time has been spent on Universe 6, Universe 9 and Universe 11, I'm certain we'll be seeing most of, if not all, of the characters in those universes again.

Also the Kamikaze Fireballs as well, but most because of Ribrianne being the spotlight stealer.

And Universe 4 given the specific rivalry between Beerus and Quitela. Hell, an entire subplot in the anime was dedicated to that.

Do the Hakaishin and Kaioshin of the other universes (that I haven't already mentioned) taking part in the tournament count too? Because if so, yeah, them too.

Everyone else... disposable.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am

No, because they've all been wasted. They don't even provide any lore: why is the Yardrat in U2? He was knocked out and not ONE character wondered what he was doing outside his native universes. Of course, we, the audience, can probably assume that he teleported there or that the Yardratians were originally from U2 but the show never cared to explain.

They don't provide any interesting lore like their designs and gimmicks would make us assume, they're just there, fodder.