Are you tired of this tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Are you tired of this tournament?

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:05 am

Nah, it was boring when Goku was barely showing up but now that he's been fighting pretty regularly it's great, and it'll probably get even better in the next few episodes when the fodders get eliminated and it comes down to Goku vs U11.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:41 pm

This arc was on par with Zamasu's character in terms of wasted potential. It's hard to watch at times.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Bullza wrote:
majinwarman wrote:Cool, I never really like the Buu arc myself. I agree that this arc is better than the Buu saga. Though the Internet is pushing that this arc is a bad arc and that Super can't have a good arc. Which I personally believe to a incorrect opinion.
They are? From what I've seen people seem to really be enjoying this saga with the exception of the characters like Ribrianne.

If you look at the poll on this page.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

The current saga is far and away the most popular one in Super.

The first three sagas I didn't think we're up to DBZ standards but the Future Trunks saga was and this current one....yeah I'd say it's probably up there with the Frieza and Cell sagas as the best ones.
Maybe I have listening to the wrong people.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:28 am

I've been done with the tournament for a while now. The exhibition match was better than this. You had a chance to do something big and this is what we get? It's really really bad.. like its not even gag funny anymore. Is anything gonna be serious for a second or is the entire tournament just supposed to be this dumb and corny?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 am

I like what the ToP arc has done with Frieza - they've completely re-vitalized him as a character, which is funny when you think that his OWN Super arc, RoF, didn't manage to do - and almost botched him as a character.

For me, personally, Frieza's endgame is what's going to make or break the arc. While most people think the victor will either be Goku or Jiren, Frieza has the ability to become a WTF!? third option which would make all the fans lose their minds, IF executed well.

However, Super has proven time and again that characters and plot points that were (sometimes not so) quietly hyped turned out to be nothing. So all this last-minute entry of Frieza in the tournament, his promise to Goku, him scheming against the gods and the short clip in the Heroes trailer (where he, Goku and Jiren are the last three) may all turn out to be nothing but sheer waste, like Quitela's confidence in his invisible fighters.

Frieza aside, I agree with most people here. This arc had its ups and downs but for the most part is watchable - it brought many old characters back to the frontlines and despite what people say, made it a show of someone other than Goku. If the other characters (Gohan, Krillin, Roshi and the androids) remain relevant after this, it will be a big win for the show.

I've lost all hope for Tien and Yamcha - they're done.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Nope and maybe.
Maybe in the sense that anytime i think about the fact that the arc will end on March makes me feel bored as i don't know what are they gonna do until then, and thinking about the tournament being stretched that much is tiring even if i like the arc.

And Nope because, fuck no, so far i've been getting great battles, nice character moments and interactions, Ultra Instinct is cool and fucking Freeza is interesting again.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:36 am

dbs fanboy wrote:Nope and maybe.
Maybe in the sense that anytime i think about the fact that the arc will end on March makes me feel bored as i don't know what are they gonna do until then, and thinking about the tournament being stretched that much is tiring even if i like the arc.

And Nope because, fuck no, so far i've been getting great battles, nice character moments and interactions, Ultra Instinct is cool and fucking Freeza is interesting again.
I understand your point. You like the arc ,but it can be boring if it drags on too much. That is a great point and not just hating because you can.
Majinwarman

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 am

Episode to episode things have started to improve, but the overall narrative is getting more and more exhausting, and one of the chief problems for me is Goku and his crack team of apologists in the writer's room peanut gallery who stand ready with a torrent of excuses every time he fights. Almost every episode he fights we get beaten over the head with how he's holding back, saving stamina, out of stamina, half-dead or just being stupid. It's been like this since nearly the beginning of the arc and it just keeps happening. Nearly 50 episodes of this shit.

It's beginning to invoke the eight deadly words: "I don’t care what happens to these people." I don't care what Goku's doing because we're constantly being beaten over the head with how he's just fucking around and he's just going to bulldoze any opponent when he feels like it. I don't care what his opponent is doing because they're most likely going to get downplayed into the dirt so hard they just come off as pathetically outmatched and they're just going to get killed off anyway. Jiren is so far the only character immune to that, but he's as engaging as a saltine cracker and about as involved in the proceedings. Justice is on lunch a guess.

Characters I can't get invested in any more plowing through new characters there's no point caring about because they're going to get thrown into the dumpster and scarcely anyone in-universe is going to give a damn except for a 5-10 second window around the event. Goku's supposedly pushing himself but he's not allowed to struggle too much or ever look too in over his depth apparently. What's the point here? It's just becoming meaningless violence and noise. If the point was to turn me from loving Goku to boarderline loathing him because the writing is tying itself into pretzels to protect his image, well, congratulations, you're doing that very well.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Episode to episode things have started to improve, but the overall narrative is getting more and more exhausting, and one of the chief problems for me is Goku and his crack team of apologists in the writer's room peanut gallery who stand ready with a torrent of excuses every time he fights. Almost every episode he fights we get beaten over the head with how he's holding back, saving stamina, out of stamina, half-dead or just being stupid. It's been like this since nearly the beginning of the arc and it just keeps happening. Nearly 50 episodes of this shit.

It's beginning to invoke the eight deadly words: "I don’t care what happens to these people." I don't care what Goku's doing because we're constantly being beaten over the head with how he's just fucking around and he's just going to bulldoze any opponent when he feels like it. I don't care what his opponent is doing because they're most likely going to get downplayed into the dirt so hard they just come off as pathetically outmatched and they're just going to get killed off anyway. Jiren is so far the only character immune to that, but he's as engaging as a saltine cracker and about as involved in the proceedings. Justice is on lunch a guess.

Characters I can't get invested in any more plowing through new characters there's no point caring about because they're going to get thrown into the dumpster and scarcely anyone in-universe is going to give a damn except for a 5-10 second window around the event. Goku's supposedly pushing himself but he's not allowed to struggle too much or ever look too in over his depth apparently. What's the point here? It's just becoming meaningless violence and noise. If the point was to turn me from loving Goku to boarderline loathing him because the writing is tying itself into pretzels to protect his image, well, congratulations, you're doing that very well.
I don't really care about the Goku excuses. I just like to trust my thinking and what the show says. Plus, I think this episode by episode format was used to help the production of the arc. Ajay has talking about how this arc is really taxing on Super's production but they continue with the good work.
Majinwarman

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:37 pm

majinwarman wrote:I don't really care about the Goku excuses. I just like to trust my thinking and what the show says. Plus, I think this episode by episode format was used to help the production of the arc. Ajay has talking about how this arc is really taxing on Super's production but they continue with the good work.
I realize it probably wasn't clear but I wasn't talking about the fans with that. I was talking about Whis and the other bench warmers from Universe 7. Whis is the biggest offender though. An episodic nature can be fine but the tournament is one long battle minute by minute so it has good moments but the running narrative is struggling.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I don't really care about the Goku excuses. I just like to trust my thinking and what the show says. Plus, I think this episode by episode format was used to help the production of the arc. Ajay has talking about how this arc is really taxing on Super's production but they continue with the good work.
I realize it probably wasn't clear but I wasn't talking about the fans with that. I was talking about Whis and the other bench warmers from Universe 7. Whis is the biggest offender though. An episodic nature can be fine but the tournament is one long battle minute by minute so it has good moments but the running narrative is struggling.
I understand what you mean now. I do think the narrative is struggling now. But, I think it is going to improve in the near future. Plus, I love to watch some cool robots before it gets there.
Majinwarman

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 pm

A little.... I just wanna see more of Vados
Vados Sama!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:I like what the ToP arc has done with Frieza - they've completely re-vitalized him as a character, which is funny when you think that his OWN Super arc, RoF, didn't manage to do - and almost botched him as a character.

For me, personally, Frieza's endgame is what's going to make or break the arc. While most people think the victor will either be Goku or Jiren, Frieza has the ability to become a WTF!? third option which would make all the fans lose their minds, IF executed well.

However, Super has proven time and again that characters and plot points that were (sometimes not so) quietly hyped turned out to be nothing. So all this last-minute entry of Frieza in the tournament, his promise to Goku, him scheming against the gods and the short clip in the Heroes trailer (where he, Goku and Jiren are the last three) may all turn out to be nothing but sheer waste, like Quitela's confidence in his invisible fighters.

Frieza aside, I agree with most people here. This arc had its ups and downs but for the most part is watchable - it brought many old characters back to the frontlines and despite what people say, made it a show of someone other than Goku. If the other characters (Gohan, Krillin, Roshi and the androids) remain relevant after this, it will be a big win for the show.

Agree with all parts. Would also like to add that we finally got an arc that's got some lenght and room to breathe. How it's utilized is of course a different subjects but I was sick of 10-20 eps mini arcs since GT, they never had the weight of long DBZ arcs.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:40 am

At this point it does feel like it's getting a little too long in the tooth, but we're nearly at the finish yard at this point. If U3 does go next ep, all that's left is the 3 Pride Troopers and that's the finale.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:57 am

Nickolaidas wrote:I like what the ToP arc has done with Frieza - they've completely re-vitalized him as a character, which is funny when you think that his OWN Super arc, RoF, didn't manage to do - and almost botched him as a character.

Solid post pal.

I wasn't particularly impressed with RoF. For me, this tournament has done wonders for Frieza. I remember when I first found out he was making a comeback for Team Universe 7. That came as a shock and was a real "oh wow" moment for me. I didn't really know what to expect from him, although I did spend much of the early stages of this tournament expecting Vegeta and Frieza to turn on each other. I like the way Frieza has gone about this tournament, observing and keeping a low profile. (Sorry I can't remember who, but) Somebody on here pointed out recently that he is still in the tournament, right at the end, and is a contender, and then it hit me - this guy could win this thing. All of a sudden you're thinking about the implications of Frieza winning. It could be massive. I can't wait to see what happens.

I've echoed these sentiments in another thread. It hasn't been prefect, but I think this tournament has been enjoyable and its appealed to my nostalgic side, because that's what the writers have intended to do. Krillin, Tien, Roshi, Piccolo, the Androids, Frieza and Gohan, its a lot of our old favourites, back on the front line and somewhat relevant to the main story. No complaints from me, but I am now ready for the climax.

To make another point, I've seen many not enjoying how well Universe 7 have performed in this tournament, and/ or how weak the others appear comparatively. This hasn't been an issue for me personally. Not only have I have grown up watching the members of Team Universe 7, I know for a fact that some of them are SERIOUSLY strong players. To put this into real life sporting terms; I am a supporter of Team Universe 7, and while watching this tournament I'd have my face painted and probably wear an Android 17 or a Goku jersey.

As a lifelong Tien fan, but also a realist, I am happy because I have seen more of him in Super than I expected, but alas, you're right, he and Yamcha are done.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 am

It's been okay, I've enjoyed the various fighters showcased.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.