Are you tired of this tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: arnt you tired of this tournament already?

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 am

People will be back to praising this arc once Shantsa makes his move :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 am

It's done some good things but overall I think it's outstayed its welcome and hope they can make it up with the next arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Hell no. I love this arc so far. I'm probably in the minority that love the pacing of it too. The one thing I actually feared for the most was that before the half-time stage in the tournament more than half of the competition would be out, because Dragon Ball has been historically bad at handling throwaway characters in tournament arcs. I'm still eager to see which universe wins the tournament, what Freeza's endgame is and I'm glad that every member of Universe 7 has had a major fight/episode/moment dedicated them and has contributed in some way to advancing the plot.
By half time we had lost 50 of 80 fighters so more than half did fall out. They have not used most characters properly again.
I know more than half the half the competition had been eliminated by the halfway stage. I feared that the most, but they made up for it with some really good fights and character centered episode like Episode 99 (Krillin), 103 (Gohan), 104 (Hit) and 105 (Roshi) before they reached that stage.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 am

Yes the moment Toei pretty much did a bait and switch with the so called hyped characters ,either lack of planning or they tried to take advantage of the fans stupidity.

And you wonder why the ratings wont likely hit the 5.0s again until the climax.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am

Xeogran wrote:People will be back to praising this arc once Shantsa makes his move :lol:
Oh my Kami, I love you :clap: . Yes, Shantsa will certainly shake things up once he reveals his true plans.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Hell no. I love this arc so far. I'm probably in the minority that love the pacing of it too. The one thing I actually feared for the most was the before the half-time stage in the tournament more than half of the competition would be out, because Dragon Ball has been historically bad at handling throwaway characters in tournament arcs. I'm still eager to watch U7 win, what Freeza's endgame is and I'm glad that every member of Universe 7 has had a major fight/episode/moment dedicated them and has contributed in some way to advancing the plot.
Fixed that for you.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Yes the moment Toei pretty much did a bait and switch with the so called hyped characters ,either lack of planning or they tried to take advantage of the fans stupidity.

And you wonder why the ratings wont likely hit the 5.0s again until the climax.

This is more than likely the most watched arc in the entirety of Super, bringing more people into the franchise than ever before. The special was watched by millions of people and crashed every single streaming site, yet the TV ratings did not even hit 5.0. TV is dying, it’s just not a very good source of measuring anything these days.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Are you tired of this tournament?

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Kamen Rider and Sentai being moved isn't helping Super's ratings either.

I agree, TV is dying, it's just happening slower than I expected.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:59 pm

puar wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:The pacing has been terribad, especially when we're so many episodes in, and they give us episodes featuring fodder trash. However, it has delivered some of the greatest fighting sequences in franchise history, so I sort of forgive it for that. Also, I'm anticipating the finale, unlike during every other arc in Super, where I just didn't give a shit.
are we talking about the same arc? beside the jiren special i dont remember seeing any good fight scenes. its all generic and has no tension whatsoever. the fights in dbz were so much better. hell even in dragon ball.
just for clarity my problem is not with the idea of the arc. my problem is that instead of seeing actual interesting match ups like for exemple. vegeta vs toppo. or freeza vs toppo and other searious match ups we get fodder trash just like you said. fodder charecters who are there to get eliminated. why everyone are so weak in this tournament i dont get it. why vegeta cant get the spotlight already? I'm tired of seeing goku all the time. its allwayes godamm goku. give us vegeta. give us gohan. more then 1 episode dammit. give us universe 3. the namekians. they bearly got screen time and now they are getting eliminated. fuck this. no seariously. fuck this. why we had to get like 5 episodes with the girl sayians but we bearly get an episode for the namekians. its just pissing me off.
The Jiren special battle was amazing and better than a lot from DBZ. The Ultra Instinct Goku vs Kefla kamehameha also ranks as one of the best kamehamehas in the franchise, imo.

Don't get me wrong though, everything else sucks. The good thing this arc has going for it is its unpredictability; we don't know what will happen at the end. If it ends in an anticlimactic way, then yeah, this arc is pretty trash. Only decent one in Super has been the Future Trunks arc though.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

The arc is fine. I don't get the complaints of it being "too long" because otherwise half the characters would have either been eliminated off-screen just gotten 10 second fights and immediately knocked out like some characters were. You guys would rather it be like that?

And as we keep saying, after the arc ends and you can marathon through it, the problems of "waiting for 1 new ep a week" won't even matter. This is common sense, the pacing isn't bad, it's just that we have to wait for 1 episode each week.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:20 pm

I am not tired of this arc. So far it is interesting.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Since we had another arc in super revolving around a tournament, yeah, I'm getting a bit bored.

Once in a while we get some really good episodes, but outside of that I do miss the genuine villain.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:34 pm

The problem you have is that there isn’t a ton of meat there... the Future Trunks arc had more to it.

The original android arc was crazy complex as I’m watching it now.

Goku is missing.
Frieza comes back.
Mystery Guy goes SSj and takes Frieza out.
He’s a Saiyan from the future and Bulma band vegeta son
Save Goku from dying of virus while android destroy the world.
3 years training and fight wrong androids
More powerful androids appear with a 3rd
Mystery time machine
Cell appears from another Future trying to absorb android
Super Cell and Cell games and SSJ2 plus all the grades.

It was crazy complex and so many twists and turns. This tournament is so long with so few people so we keep hoping for twists but it doesn’t feel like we can get too many. No new enemies can appear short of fusions or transformations. It doesn’t feel like an all out anything could happen so it’s dragging a bit.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:59 pm

The only thing that would save this arc is if Katopesla unleashes his true power and shows off Ultra Instinct mode.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Nah, the arc's shaping up to be largely about Goku and Vegeta realizing Whis' training, and I'm enjoying seeing how that's going to turn out. I also love every little thing Freeza does, and I'm eager to see what's going to become of him after the tournament (I'm expecting he'll be erased, or otherwise just killed again, but there's a small chance that they could do something more interesting). Something also seems kinda fishy about Jiren's absurd level of strength, so I'm anticipating seeing what's up with him. Also looking forward to seeing U3's fighters gattai.

Other than that, I at least wish that it would move at a quicker pace than one episode a minute.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Freeza's keeping me interested in it, along with how UI is gonna evolve as it goes but yeah, the whole arc is stuck in a really difficult place where it does not have enough things to support its runtime but it has to have a long one because it's most of the multiverse fighting to survive.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:22 pm

It's been a good arc so far but in the long run it could use trimming here and there. Not DBZ bad, but the pacing needs alittle work.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Asura wrote:Absolutely not. I love the idea of this tournament, I love the speculation, I love the complete unknown of what's going to unfold with this arc. There's definitely tension in the arc, and a good amount of it is fake, but there still is real tension here. The ending is anyone's guess as to what's going to happen, let alone what's going to happen in between. I won't lie, it didn't have the greatest of starts, but once it started getting around the middle (104 and up) it got interesting, and from 109 onwards it's been great. Ultra Instinct is great. This arc has been a great idea with a sloppy execution at the start but just like I predicted once the arc gets to the halfway point it's going to get much better, and it has.

I find it puzzling you bring up the point about Dragon Ball when "strategy was needed". Which Dragon Ball are you referring to exactly? Because you just said all the fights in DBZ were so much better, and while I enjoyed the fights in DBZ there was no "strategy" needed. It was just beam cannons and bullshit like you said. Since you said "hell, even Dragon Ball" as if the fights in Dragon Ball were not near as good as in DBZ, I'm assuming you were referring to DBZ being all about strategy and not beam cannons.

puar wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:The pacing has been terribad, especially when we're so many episodes in, and they give us episodes featuring fodder trash. However, it has delivered some of the greatest fighting sequences in franchise history, so I sort of forgive it for that. Also, I'm anticipating the finale, unlike during every other arc in Super, where I just didn't give a shit.
are we talking about the same arc? beside the jiren special i dont remember seeing any good fight scenes. its all generic and has no tension whatsoever. the fights in dbz were so much better. hell even in dragon ball.
You sound like you're majorly biased against this arc. No good fight scenes? Generic? Really? That's bull, there have been a ton of good fights with nice choreography. Gohan vs Obuni, Goku & Hit vs Dyspo and Kunshi, Roshi vs Dercori, Roshi vs Ganos, Vegeta & Roshi vs Frost & Magetta, Hit vs Jiren, Caulifla and Kale vs Goku, Kefla vs Goku, and very obviously Jiren vs Goku. And I'm sure that tomorrow we'll have another great fight with Gohan and Piccolo vs Saonel and Pirina.

I don't really see people's problems with the tournament lasting as long as it has. We're all here because we watched Dragon Ball Z at one point, yes? And we liked it enough to watch all of it, and sometimes multiple times for some of us. The pacing is pretty much the same as your average DBZ arc.
"When strategy was needed" no i meant dragon ball. Not z

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Then why are you praising the fights in Z? Seems rather strange to me you complain about the days when strategy was needed, yet somehow that fault only applies to Super and not Z. Your bias is showing.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 pm

How do i know this arc getting worse and worse? I have no motivation to watching episodes of the top more then one time when it gets relesed and thats it. Where i used up to the jiren special to re watch it randomly. Something happened after the jiren special. The arc suddenly went to 0 interest for me. Off course il watch it every week to see how its progressed but thats about it. I'm not passionate about it anymore as i was before. That tells me its just too long.