Are you tired of this tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

puar
Beyond Newbie

Are you tired of this tournament?

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:10 am

i know i am. when you think about it. this TOP already 20 episodes in since it started the fighting. the same amount of episodes that the trunks arc got. and i ask. WTF? why would u make such a great arc so short and have a bejilion plot holes instead of really mastering it and give the same amount as this arc gets or more. they had the opportunity to make the future trunks arc the most badass and complex arc there is but they dident. instead the rushed it to get to this. and ''this'' is fucking boring as fuck. I'm sorry but i got tired of this arc like 10 episodes ago. its not interesting. the fights are lame. this aint like in dragon ball when strategy was needed its all beam cannons and bullshit like this. why they hell did they make it so long? 20 episodes already and we arnt even close to finish. and its boring as hell. I'm sorry but this is. dragon ball super became of my most hated animes latley. its just so godamm boring. and now that we got the spoilers its really poorly done. i mean yeah they had the chance to make it interesting but as usual they give all the time to goku and vegeta aint got an episode. the U6 nameks are side story. toppo vs vegeta are side story. they aint giving them the spotlight and instead give it to goku all the godamm time. its fucking boring as fuck. I'm sorry but this arc is getting on my nerves. its just so generic and boring i cant stand it. i want it to end already. dragon ball is about good vs evill. allwayes was. toei missing the point. make a new arc. expend the universe. reveal the makayo-shin. do something prudactive instaead of giving us this boring ass tournament. also. why universe 3 aint given the screen time they deserve? get me? they do it wrong. just wrong

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: arnt you tired of this tournament already?

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:44 am

I do think this arc is entirely too long--especially when all previous arcs conditioned me to think all of dbs' arcs would be roughly 15 to 20 episodes--but I'm at the point where I'm like "Well, there's nothing I can do about it, might as well just enjoy the character moments and animation for what it is." because visually everything looks better at least. It's very all flash and little substance plus the possibility that we could get a status quo ending where there ultimately are no permanent consequences for any actions (everyone and every participating universe is wished back to normal) .

It's like...I'm no longer upset, just waiting it out and hoping the next arc has either more plot or a genuine villain in it.

If it helps you, Toei said this tournament arc will be over by March. You could always temporarily drop Super until then.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am

The pacing has been terribad, especially when we're so many episodes in, and they give us episodes featuring fodder trash. However, it has delivered some of the greatest fighting sequences in franchise history, so I sort of forgive it for that. Also, I'm anticipating the finale, unlike during every other arc in Super, where I just didn't give a shit.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:19 am

This arc is inconsistent, more than the future saga. For every episode there is that makes me question the sanity of those in charge of what goes on behind the scenes, they pull out a good one that makes me forget that I was getting tired of this arc. I wish the pacing was better and the spotlight was more evenly distributed among different characters.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:28 am

I'm not. There's still so much we can see and learn. I'm glad things are about to get serious now that the fighters have dwindled down. We should be seeing a better second half of the tournament. Also glad that this is a long saga just like thee old dayz with Z. Hopefully future sagas are this long but handled better.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 am

I was already tired of it before it even started. Give me a serious arc over this crap anyday. Too many fodder side characters, the pacing is too slow, and many other reasons that i don’t feel like getting into now. Just give us a serious arc already where Goku and Vegeta will actually be fighting worthy opponents. (I.e. actual GODS).

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:35 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:The pacing has been terribad, especially when we're so many episodes in, and they give us episodes featuring fodder trash. However, it has delivered some of the greatest fighting sequences in franchise history, so I sort of forgive it for that. Also, I'm anticipating the finale, unlike during every other arc in Super, where I just didn't give a shit.
are we talking about the same arc? beside the jiren special i dont remember seeing any good fight scenes. its all generic and has no tension whatsoever. the fights in dbz were so much better. hell even in dragon ball.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 am

just for clarity my problem is not with the idea of the arc. my problem is that instead of seeing actual interesting match ups like for exemple. vegeta vs toppo. or freeza vs toppo and other searious match ups we get fodder trash just like you said. fodder charecters who are there to get eliminated. why everyone are so weak in this tournament i dont get it. why vegeta cant get the spotlight already? I'm tired of seeing goku all the time. its allwayes godamm goku. give us vegeta. give us gohan. more then 1 episode dammit. give us universe 3. the namekians. they bearly got screen time and now they are getting eliminated. fuck this. no seariously. fuck this. why we had to get like 5 episodes with the girl sayians but we bearly get an episode for the namekians. its just pissing me off.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:16 am

Absolutely not. I love the idea of this tournament, I love the speculation, I love the complete unknown of what's going to unfold with this arc. There's definitely tension in the arc, and a good amount of it is fake, but there still is real tension here. The ending is anyone's guess as to what's going to happen, let alone what's going to happen in between. I won't lie, it didn't have the greatest of starts, but once it started getting around the middle (104 and up) it got interesting, and from 109 onwards it's been great. Ultra Instinct is great. This arc has been a great idea with a sloppy execution at the start but just like I predicted once the arc gets to the halfway point it's going to get much better, and it has.

I find it puzzling you bring up the point about Dragon Ball when "strategy was needed". Which Dragon Ball are you referring to exactly? Because you just said all the fights in DBZ were so much better, and while I enjoyed the fights in DBZ there was no "strategy" needed. It was just beam cannons and bullshit like you said. Since you said "hell, even Dragon Ball" as if the fights in Dragon Ball were not near as good as in DBZ, I'm assuming you were referring to DBZ being all about strategy and not beam cannons.

puar wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:The pacing has been terribad, especially when we're so many episodes in, and they give us episodes featuring fodder trash. However, it has delivered some of the greatest fighting sequences in franchise history, so I sort of forgive it for that. Also, I'm anticipating the finale, unlike during every other arc in Super, where I just didn't give a shit.
are we talking about the same arc? beside the jiren special i dont remember seeing any good fight scenes. its all generic and has no tension whatsoever. the fights in dbz were so much better. hell even in dragon ball.
You sound like you're majorly biased against this arc. No good fight scenes? Generic? Really? That's bull, there have been a ton of good fights with nice choreography. Gohan vs Obuni, Goku & Hit vs Dyspo and Kunshi, Roshi vs Dercori, Roshi vs Ganos, Vegeta & Roshi vs Frost & Magetta, Hit vs Jiren, Caulifla and Kale vs Goku, Kefla vs Goku, and very obviously Jiren vs Goku. And I'm sure that tomorrow we'll have another great fight with Gohan and Piccolo vs Saonel and Pirina.

I don't really see people's problems with the tournament lasting as long as it has. We're all here because we watched Dragon Ball Z at one point, yes? And we liked it enough to watch all of it, and sometimes multiple times for some of us. The pacing is pretty much the same as your average DBZ arc.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 am

I will want the arc to end when all the characters I care are seeing are out. We all know the format by now so I doubt anything new will change what happens in the arc.

I am tired of all these weak and easy to beat fighters who if they were stronger would provide great fights. The power gap between fighters in team Universe 7 should be reduced and other Universes power should be increased.

If that means the tournament last 50-60 episodes because of all these intense fights then I don't care because when it is all done we would have so many memorable fights and a variety of memorable characters.
Then from here the story possibilities for future arcs would be huge due to all these memorable fighters.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:20 am

Heck no, best arc in Super so far, and that comes from someone who loves Black arc a lot.

There's been so many plot twists and averted expections already, and it's far from over!

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 am

I actually love this arc.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:52 am

Not quite, this arc genuinely has some of the best moments of the series and is still delivering, consistently has me tuning in every week, I feel that it may sometime in the coming months, but then again it could not if they keep delivering that GOAT quality. It’s brilliant to me at least, but hey not everyone likes the same things...

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 am

puar wrote:just for clarity my problem is not with the idea of the arc. my problem is that instead of seeing actual interesting match ups like for exemple. vegeta vs toppo. or freeza vs toppo and other searious match ups we get fodder trash just like you said. fodder charecters who are there to get eliminated. why everyone are so weak in this tournament i dont get it. why vegeta cant get the spotlight already? I'm tired of seeing goku all the time. its allwayes godamm goku. give us vegeta. give us gohan. more then 1 episode dammit. give us universe 3. the namekians. they bearly got screen time and now they are getting eliminated. fuck this. no seariously. fuck this. why we had to get like 5 episodes with the girl sayians but we bearly get an episode for the namekians. its just pissing me off.

Maybe I'm too old for this shit but I think most of the new characters look poorly designed and childish and ripped off from the sailormoon teletubbie club (Ribrianne and co)
Toppo is clearly related to Dr Robotnik and I don't remember most of the rest of the defeated cast which is saying a lot I think.

Oh yeah, there's also a mute Roswell alien on steroids as well, there clearly wasn't any money left to give him a personality though. :lolno:

This tournament just isn't my cup of tea when it comes to memorable characters really, and I agree wholeheartedly that the match-ups are terrible and mostly Goku centralized and therefore the whole tournament became one long boring torture to watch.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:30 am

I also stopped watching 10 episodes ago. Like seriously, couldn't they have at least made the big bad somewhat interesting? Jiren is so boring and uninteresting, I was into it at first but it got old fast and completely sucked away any type of hype I had for Goku's encounter with him.

Then theirs the terrible writing and over reliance on Goku. If they're gonna have a tournament like this and stretch it on this long atleast have the decency to spread out the screen time instead of having Goku be pretty much everywhere.

i've just kind of had enough with this arc, I might watch episodes here or there, but for now, Dragon ball super is so far out of my mind that I honestly sometimes forget that episodes air over the weekend.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:52 am

Aspects of the arc as a whole annoy me, like the pacing or the lack of serious contenders from the other universes outside of Ultra Crypto. But I can't dislike it, they've been on a roll of great episodes and great fights. It needs to come to an end soon, but I feel like they're accelerating toward the climax. And of course, I'm most interested in what the hell could come after this, since there are so many threads to wrap up.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:34 am

Sort of. I really like the concept of the tournament but I find the execution to be kind of dull and lacking. It has some really great stuff like 109, 110, the Roshi focus episodes and Goku fighting the Saiyan girls, but that's sort of offset by the fact that the primary antagonists of the arc are just sitting around on their asses doing nothing most of the time. Jiren doesn't have a whole lot of chemistry with Goku and despite his colossal power, he doesn't come off as particularly threatening or terribly interesting. The biggest problem for me is that we're more than 70% of the way through the tournament with less than 20 competitors left and we still have episodes dedicated to opponents who get clowned by Goku and Vegeta in their base forms. Having weaker opponents isn't a problem by itself isn't a problem but in this particular context it feels like the writers are just padding things out to run down the clock so that we can have a final tense battle in the closing minutes of the tournament. And it seems like all these characters have to take their obligatory shot at Goku first instead of having Universe 7's weaker characters fight them while Goku, Vegeta and Frieza deal with bigger threats more their level. We just had Vegeta vs Toppo a couple episodes ago. That was cool! That's what what I wanted to see in this tournament. Our guys fighting other strong guys who can give them a challenge. But that fight ended with no resolution and we're back to Vegeta dicking around with Katopesla and Goku with those last three guys from Universe 2. And things are looking pretty dire for Universe 3 unless the hypothetical Megazord robot is super duper strong which I am really not counting on after everything else has happened. Seems more likely that it'll be a 1-2 episode gimmick that is used to eliminate 3-4 of U3's fighters at once.

It's not exactly a secret that they're building to a Goku vs Jiren rematch but it really feels like they're dragging their feet getting back to that and it's just making me more eager to see what comes in the next arc rather than this one. This tournament either needed to have more super strong fighters or to have more of the ones that were super strong weighted more toward the end.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:45 am

Yep, i do. I personally liked the Future Trunks' arc much more than the Universal Survival arc.

The Future Trunks arc was much more tense, the scenario was very climatic, every episode was full of action, and plot, and mystery (the mystery surrounding the persona of Zamasu) and there was barely any filler. Let's stop focusing -only- on the 'bad' ending of the arc and start analyzing what the Future Trunks arc did better.

The Universal Survival arc doesn't feel like a fight for survival at all. Universe 7 has basically won already. Aside from Jiren and Toppo, there is only fodder left. Why is Beerus even worried by Jiren? Universe 11 will lose anyway, unless they are able to even the scales, because right now they only have 3 members left, whereas Universe 7 has 7 members left. The Universe with the most members left by the end wins, for that matter. The tournament itself is full of filler characters that are given way too much screentime (like a certain contestant from Universe 2) and the part where they were gathering warriors for the tournament lasted 20 episodes...

I will try to remain positive, but so far, aside from the occasional erasure of entire universes, and the epic fights such Goku vs. Jiren/Kefla, i am not very interested in the tournament. Not as much as i was in the final battle for the future timeline that was depicted in the last arc.

I still believe the tournament will be interrupted mid-way by the big villain of the arc. I think there's much more going on behind the tournament.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am

Hell no. I love this arc so far. I'm probably in the minority that love the pacing of it too. The one thing I actually feared for the most was the before the half-time stage in the tournament more than half of the competition would be out, because Dragon Ball has been historically bad at handling throwaway characters in tournament arcs. I'm still eager to see which universe wins the tournament, what Freeza's endgame is and I'm glad that every member of Universe 7 has had a major fight/episode/moment dedicated them and has contributed in some way to advancing the plot.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Hell no. I love this arc so far. I'm probably in the minority that love the pacing of it too. The one thing I actually feared for the most was the before the half-time stage in the tournament more than half of the competition would be out, because Dragon Ball has been historically bad at handling throwaway characters in tournament arcs. I'm still eager to see which universe wins the tournament, what Freeza's endgame is and I'm glad that every member of Universe 7 has had a major fight/episode/moment dedicated them and has contributed in some way to advancing the plot.
By half time we had lost 50 of 80 fighters so more than half did fall out. They have not used most characters properly again.