Are you tired of this tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Are you tired of this tournament?

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Again we can't judge something that hasn't happened yet. Although so far some of these TOP battles have been more interesting and dynamic than watching each Ginyu being takin out. Time will tell I guess.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:16 am

MR.Mark wrote:Again we can't judge something that hasn't happened yet. Although so far some of these TOP battles have been more interesting and dynamic than watching each Ginyu being takin out. Time will tell I guess.
we are 20 episodes into the actual fighting. btw. i actually did liked the arc before the fighting started. i just think to make 30-40 episodes for a tournament is too much. especielly when you dont show other universes fight each other and just make everyone fodder trash. its not like were on 104 and you can say you cant judge it yet. we are getting close to the end and its bad. really bad. interesting charecters (U6 namekians) get no screen time and annoying pointless charecters (kale and kauliflia) get all the screen time. vegeta allways in the shadows. we dont get interesting match ups. like vegeta vs toppo. frieza vs toppo. and more. allways goku goku and goku. what about how they handled tien? instead of giving him his own episode and actually show some new bad ass techniqes they dont shoved him into the end of 106 to do the most predictable pointless techniqe ever and get eliminated like nothing. and you tell me we should not critisize it? we may never have the chance to see tien in the spotlight again. they had the opportunity to actually make him relevent again and they dident. what they did with roshi? they given him the screen time but overused the mafuba which is against the rules anyway.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:23 am

Not at all. I haven't enjoyed Dragon Ball this much since the Cell arc.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:44 am

You know, episode 118 actually turned me around on a lot of the issues I've had with the tournament. Universe 7 is still doing incredibly well, but the GP's comments make me think they're intentionally leaning into the idea that Universe 7 are pushing themselves harder than anybody else, which is what allows the remaining fighters to put on a good show. Also, I thought it was a bad idea to knock out so many hyped fighters early to leave the final battle to the scrubs, but the performance of the Namekians and the Beautiful Boys showed you can still get a good last stand out of dark horse fighters. It's unpredictability is it's greatest strength.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 am

I'm actually enjoying it more now than I did when it started. It's been getting better and better since the special, with just a few hiccups here and there. I know we need more eliminations from U7 and we will probably get that soon, but damn do I wish they'd all stick around until the end, cause I love the interaction.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:59 am

I'm feeling a little better about it after the last episode. If they stick the ending with a very strong landing I think it would ease a lot of the complaints I've had about the tournament since Episode 111.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 am

puar wrote:i know i am. when you think about it. this TOP already 20 episodes in since it started the fighting. the same amount of episodes that the trunks arc got. and i ask. WTF? why would u make such a great arc so short and have a bejilion plot holes instead of really mastering it and give the same amount as this arc gets or more. they had the opportunity to make the future trunks arc the most badass and complex arc there is but they dident. instead the rushed it to get to this. and ''this'' is fucking boring as fuck. I'm sorry but i got tired of this arc like 10 episodes ago. its not interesting. the fights are lame. this aint like in dragon ball when strategy was needed its all beam cannons and bullshit like this. why they hell did they make it so long? 20 episodes already and we arnt even close to finish. and its boring as hell. I'm sorry but this is. dragon ball super became of my most hated animes latley. its just so godamm boring. and now that we got the spoilers its really poorly done. i mean yeah they had the chance to make it interesting but as usual they give all the time to goku and vegeta aint got an episode. the U6 nameks are side story. toppo vs vegeta are side story. they aint giving them the spotlight and instead give it to goku all the godamm time. its fucking boring as fuck. I'm sorry but this arc is getting on my nerves. its just so generic and boring i cant stand it. i want it to end already. dragon ball is about good vs evill. allwayes was. toei missing the point. make a new arc. expend the universe. reveal the makayo-shin. do something prudactive instaead of giving us this boring ass tournament. also. why universe 3 aint given the screen time they deserve? get me? they do it wrong. just wrong
I was, but not after the 15 last episodes or so.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 am

Michsi wrote:I'm actually enjoying it more now than I did when it started. It's been getting better and better since the special, with just a few hiccups here and there. I know we need more eliminations from U7 and we will probably get that soon, but damn do I wish they'd all stick around until the end, cause I love the interaction.
I want them all to stay and I am annoyed about the others being knocked out as well. It is just more fun when they are all on the arena.

I don't really care about Universe 7 being in a tough situation so at the start of the tournament I hoped that all the Pride Troopers were really good so we could get a 10 vs 10 between Universe 7 and 11 at the end. The fight choreography and interactions between Universe 7 could have been amazing. Also all of them would have played apart in the end of the tournament.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 am

Mixed feelings, mostly because the Tournament itself has been a mixed bag.
Last edited by SonReggie on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:37 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:I'm actually enjoying it more now than I did when it started. It's been getting better and better since the special, with just a few hiccups here and there. I know we need more eliminations from U7 and we will probably get that soon, but damn do I wish they'd all stick around until the end, cause I love the interaction.
I want them all to stay and I am annoyed about the others being knocked out as well. It is just more fun when they are all on the arena.
It is. For years I have said that DB needed more group focused combat and always gave the skirmish against Nappa (particularly how it was handled in the manga) as an example. It was short-lived, and not very effective In the end, but it made for a great moment. I was afraid at some point that TOP would devolve into the same old 1 vs. 1 fights without so much as considering what makes a battle royal interesting. Ep. 118 used that to great effect.

namekiansaiyan wrote:[
I don't really care about Universe 7 being in a tough situation so at the start of the tournament I hoped that all the Pride Troopers were really good so we could get a 10 vs 10 between Universe 7 and 11 at the end. The fight choreography and interactions between Universe 7 could have been amazing. Also all of them would have played apart in the end of the tournament.
It would've been interesting, and maybe we'll get a sports like match at some point too (but not for a long time, two tournaments is enough for a while), but honestly for me it doesn't matter who they fight against, as long as the interaction with each other is great. People aren't happy that U7 is far and above the other universes, but I love that. They are supposed to be special compared to most.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:02 am

I have to say, my overriding negative issue with it is Jiren. He is just pure crap. Uninteresting design. No personality. We have NO idea regarding his motivation (and even if they did start to elaborate on that, this late into the tournament I really don't care). He isn't a character - he feels like someone read one or two 'One Punch Man' stories and thought Jiren should be like Saitama; except that they removed any trace of personality or character and left us with this taciturn Roswell reject. And I remain convinced that the personality-free obstacle that Jiren is genetically engineered or something. Am willing to wager that he was quite strong in the first place and Belmond has transferred his power to Jiren. This could go some way toward explaining Jiren being so OP and being able to use Ultra Instinct (or something similar to it). Belmond also seems confident to the point of being absolutely convinced Jiren can't lose.

And the worst thing is, pretty much everything occurring is just delaying the inevitable rematch between this idiot and Goku. Having that overshadowing the whole thing does dampen things a little for me, personally.

Also bothers me a little that, so far, that no-one is willing to give those little shit Xeno's the middle finger*. I mean, you're gonna get erased anyway, so what does it matter? Nope - we're supposed to believe that everyone just bows their heads to accept the inevitable.

* Don't mean this literally, but I am disappointed that not one person has asked the Xeno's/GP a simple question: "why"? Again - if you're going to get erased anyway, what's the worst that could happen?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:43 am

puar wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Again we can't judge something that hasn't happened yet. Although so far some of these TOP battles have been more interesting and dynamic than watching each Ginyu being takin out. Time will tell I guess.
we are 20 episodes into the actual fighting. btw. i actually did liked the arc before the fighting started. i just think to make 30-40 episodes for a tournament is too much. especielly when you dont show other universes fight each other and just make everyone fodder trash. its not like were on 104 and you can say you cant judge it yet. we are getting close to the end and its bad. really bad. interesting charecters (U6 namekians) get no screen time and annoying pointless charecters (kale and kauliflia) get all the screen time. vegeta allways in the shadows. we dont get interesting match ups. like vegeta vs toppo. frieza vs toppo. and more. allways goku goku and goku. what about how they handled tien? instead of giving him his own episode and actually show some new bad ass techniqes they dont shoved him into the end of 106 to do the most predictable pointless techniqe ever and get eliminated like nothing. and you tell me we should not critisize it? we may never have the chance to see tien in the spotlight again. they had the opportunity to actually make him relevent again and they dident. what they did with roshi? they given him the screen time but overused the mafuba which is against the rules anyway.
Fair enough if that's how you feel, but I found there to be some memorable battles and terrific animation at times. I like a lot of the new characters and the fact that Ten and Roshi is in this arc doing anything of value at all is a couple notches above previous arcs before Super came along.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am

Seeing how the namekians got their high BP, i wish now they would have gotten 2-3 episodes of them fighting, instead of 5 episodes of goku vs caulifla/kale/kefla. Before i thought they'd just be some strong namekians.

The show focuses way to much on Goku, it's GT all over again.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

No way. The tournament i really starting to get great. Can't wait for Goku vs Jiren again.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
So common sense dictates that the best way to judge this arc is to wait when it's done and watch it with more episodes at a time. I don't think it's pacing is perfect so far, but I'm going on a limb here and predicting it will be no Namek situation in the end.
Yeah, but I think I love long arcs compared to short ones. Plus, I'm willing to wait for each episode. I had to deal with this when watching Naruto Shippuden.
I also love long arcs. If I had one complaint here it's that the arc doesn't feel like it's naturally this long. I feel like scenes have been stretched for the sake of filling time rather than because the story calls for it.

On Namek we had the drama of Krillin and Gohan with Vegeta who we knew was out for himself. We have the search for the dragon balls, the Ginyu Force, the Namekians being targeted by Freeze and so on.

We have a lot of stuff here but none of it feels story driven. Honestly I wish the FT Arc was longer and went into more depth because it was story driven.

Also like I said before I'm not tired of the arc but it's getting to where it doesn't feel like there is much meaningful content except Goku vs Jiren.

Though I also agree it's probably better to watch on a binge.
Binge is the way to go. I would do this for Super but I'd be spoiled before I could watch.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Bullza wrote:Not at all. I haven't enjoyed Dragon Ball this much since the Cell arc.
Really?! Are you one of those people who don't like the Buu arc?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Bullza wrote:Not at all. I haven't enjoyed Dragon Ball this much since the Cell arc.
Really?! Are you one of those people who don't like the Buu arc?
No I liked it, I wasn't sure on it when I first saw it but it's grown on me. I don't think it has the same level of enjoyment and entertainment that we have right now though.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 pm

buutenks wrote:
The show focuses way to much on Goku, it's GT all over again.
Hardly, if anything Super was the Goku and Vegeta show, but recently that's been much improved.

I don't mind Goku getting the main focus (main character after all), but balance that with the supporting cast.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm

It's been a lukewarm experience to say the least. Toei had various opportunities to really capture the atmosphere of desperation and raw survivalist ferocity yet they mostly seem to rehash the tired old "cocky, cackling fiendish" persona that defines so many of the characters in this series. Obuni was a unique breath of fresh air but before and since then he's only remained that, an exception. Apart from just overused personalities, you have undeveloped and underutilised fighters. Many of them have good quality designs yet they're hardly ever used. You also can't forget the mountain of inconsistent feats and power scales that seem to alternate every episode. Oh but if there's one character who always seems to be present it's Goku. Yes, he's the protagonist of the show but he doesn't need to be involved in some on-screen conflict every single episode. Seriously, the only arc that's teeming with more exposure of this character is the RRA arc.

In my overall opinion, I would say the Tournament of Power has been a series of missed opportunities blessed with a few well-developed quality moments sprinkled throughout. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it maybe a 4 or 5.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: arnt you tired of this tournament already?

Post by Artorias » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am

puar wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:The pacing has been terribad, especially when we're so many episodes in, and they give us episodes featuring fodder trash. However, it has delivered some of the greatest fighting sequences in franchise history, so I sort of forgive it for that. Also, I'm anticipating the finale, unlike during every other arc in Super, where I just didn't give a shit.
are we talking about the same arc? beside the jiren special i dont remember seeing any good fight scenes. its all generic and has no tension whatsoever. the fights in dbz were so much better. hell even in dragon ball.
You're in utter DENIAL if you honestly don't think the fight scenes have been good in this arc. Whatever anyone has to say about the arc's narrative, one thing that is UNDENIABLE is that the fights have mostly delivered, and it's completely insane to suggest otherwise. If you honestly aren't impressed with the fights in this arc, then you're literally never going to be impressed with another fight in Dragon Ball ever again.