Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:02 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 118, aired 3 December 2017

加速する悲劇消えゆく宇宙…
Kasoku-suru Higeki Kie-yuku Uchū…
Accelerating Drama: Vanishing Universes...

Summary:
The people of Universe 2 panic to see that Ribrianne has lost, but she assures them that it’s not over yet and asks them to keep cheering on their remaining warriors. Indeed, at that moment the U2 warriors Zirloin, Zarbuto, and Rabanra fight 3-to-1 against Goku, who is so tired that he can no longer afford to make a single mistake against them. On the sidelines Champa gloats that with their ace gone, U2 hasn’t got long to live…though he also recognizes that his universe is in the same boat. With two warriors left, they’ve actually got fewer than U2, so they can’t even try to wait until the tournament time runs out and win by numbers.

Caulifla yells at U6’s remaining fighters, the Namekians Saonel and Pirina, threatening to beat them up if they lose…even though if they lose she will be destroyed along with them. Still, her words manage to raise Saonel and Pirina’s fighting spirit, though there’s something else different about them. Fighting against the two Namekians, Piccolo and Gohan can sense that something has suddenly changed in their opponents; they’re growing faster and stronger. Meanwhile, Zirloin and co. are powered up by the love of U2’s people, and transform in much the same way as Ribrianne, Kakunsa, and Rozie did…right down to now wearing the same sort of costumes.

The miraculously transformed Zirloin and co. vow to punish 17 and 18, but the androids remain undaunted and brag about being the ones who eliminated Ribrianne, Kakunsa, and Rozie. Together with Goku, they now begin a 3-on-3 fight with Zirloin and co. At the same time, Piccolo finally figures out why Saonel and Pirina are so strong: they’ve used the Namekian power of assimilation! With the survival of their universe on the line, the U6 Namekians selected Saonel and Pirina as their representatives and many assimilated with them. The two avoided fighting too hard until their powered-up bodies stabilized, so that they could serve as reinforcements in the second half of the tournament (although they didn’t plan on being the only U6 warriors left by that point).

Gohan recognizes that after assimilating so many Namekians, Saonel and Pirina must have incredible life force. Since there’s no need to hold back for fear of killing them, Gohan will fight at full power to hold them off while Piccolo charges up a Makankosappo. As the fight continues, Whis wonders if Beerus is feeling conflicted. After all, if Piccolo and Gohan win, it will mean Champa’s destruction. However, Beerus claims to have no mixed feelings, and loudly cheers his team on.

While the Omni-Kings are excited to see Goku and his son both fighting hard, The Great Priest notes that U7 has kept on winning against all the other universes, but as a result they're worn out. On the flipside, U2 and U6 are facing destruction and so gaining new power out of desperation. Saonel stretches his arms to grab Gohan, but when Pirina moves in to attack, Piccolo nails him with a Makankosappo. However, the attack fails to pierce through Pirina, who retaliates with a mouth blast.

Fortunately, Gohan shields Piccolo from the blast, and apologizes for letting his guard down before Piccolo could finish fully charging his attack. Pirina likewise apologizes to Saonel for not being able to finish, and the fight recommences as Piccolo vows that he and Gohan will fight to their fullest no matter their opponent. Meanwhile, Zirloin and co. acknowledge that Goku, 17, and 18 are also warriors of love, and resolve to use their full powers against them. Together the three create a point of concentrated love, a gigantic black heart that sucks other attacks in. This is the legendary “Pretty Black Hole” attack, which even Ribrianne and co. couldn’t master.

The Pretty Black Hole bears down on Goku, 17, and 18, threatening to sink them straight down through the bottom of the arena and out of bounds. Its weight is even greater than the gravity room at Bulma’s, and prevents Goku from teleporting away. However, while he’s amazed at the U2’s warriors, Goku says that for him fighting spirit is better than love. He goes Super Saiyan Blue and fires a Kamehameha, while at the same time Gohan likewise fires a Kamehameha against Saonel. Pirina counters Gohan’s Kamehameha with a mouth blast, allowing Saonel to try and grab Gohan with his stretching arms again.

But Piccolo fires his now fully charged Makankosappo through both the U6 Namekians, weakening them enough to allow Gohan’s blast to knock them out of the ring, just as Goku’s Kamehameha breaks through the Pretty Black Hole and does the same to the U2 warriors. Still observing Goku’s battles from afar, Freeza notes that he didn’t display Ultra Instinct this time. Whis thinks that as Goku grows accustomed to fighting in extreme conditions, it will take more and more to trigger Ultra Instinct.

The Great Priest officially announces that U2 and U6 have lost, and the Omni-Kings charge up their universe-destroying blasts. Ribrianne and co. give one last message of love before they vanish, and Vados tearfully bids farewell to Champa (from afar). Though impressed by Saonel and Pirina’s fight, Caulifla still tries to follow through on her promise to beat them up for losing, and chases them around while Cabba wishes “Master Vegeta” good luck. Champa calls out to Beerus and sticks his tongue out at him moments before vanishing, though Beerus wishes his brother would have said something to him instead. Still fighting against Katopesla, Vegeta tells his opponent to get ready, since he is now officially in a bad mood.

13 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm

I enjoy how different the Universe's destruction's are handled. 9 goes out desperate, pleading and begging for some sort of hope to cling too. 10s is a somber erasure, after a brief glimmer of optimism they grow alone with regret and silently accept their fate. 2 go out spreading their love to their universe, content. And universe 6 goes out with a bit of fond reflection, they did all that they could, and they're okay with that; with even Champa making sure to go out having one last sibling moment with Beerus.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 pm

NOBODY EXPECTED THE TRANSFORMATIONS :lol:

Genius. Seriously, I have no words left.
Last edited by Xeogran on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 pm

It appears that in the NEP one of those U4 fighters are capable of creating illusions of the previous opponents from different universes.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:It appears that in the NEP one of those U4 fighters are capable of creating illusions of the previous opponents from different universes.
Yeah, if Shantsa can create Kefla, Hit, then Piccolo and Gohan are going to be so mangled.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:It appears that in the NEP one of those U4 fighters are capable of creating illusions of the previous opponents from different universes.
That's Shantsa's doing. His ability is cool as heck :thumbup:

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 pm

I'll pour a 40 for my fallen brothers.
Feels over Reals.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Thought the episode was decent. Better than last week's by quite a bit. The music I enjoyed quite a bit, as well as the interactions between Goku and the Cyborgs.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Man... I loved this episode. I think it was the writing and direction that did it for me. The three remaining Universe 2 warriors transforming damn near killed me, the two Namekians revealing that they absorbed the power of so many Namekians and Piccolo's reaction that follows, Androids 17 and 18 doing that whole villain personality introduction thing and then waiting for Goku to say something as well. But it was that ending that topped it all off for me. It was so bittersweet.

Really great episode. It also had some really cool fight scenes in it. That Goku and Gohan Kamehameha was awesome.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm

-The last thing I ever expected from the last three U2 warriors was for them to attain the Kamikaze Fireballs' fighting abilities, but it was hilarious seeing them sporting the Fireballs' transformed state attires, specially Zirloin the big guy having Ribrianne's. It was dissapointing in one way, however, as it means they didn't have a moveset of their own.

-I was dissapointed with how the U6 namekians achieved their power. I know that namekian fusions is their quickest method namekians gain power, but that happends to be my least favorite. I would have prefered something else like heavy training on a special place on Namek or some deep meditation that Piccolo never mastered. At least they explained why these two namekians didn't show up until the end.

-U9 was the only universe in which all of its fighters didn't retain their composure while being erased. Props to U2 and U6, specially the manchild that is Champa for keeping a smile and playing with Beerus until the end.

-I wasn't expecting the drag queens that Ribrianne "killed" upon her introduction to reappear. I wasn't also expecting Kami and Neil to reappear ever again, but I'm glad they did. One odd thing about Kami, in one shot, his eyes are normal, but the one after, his eyes are black.

-Is love U2's equivalent to Star Wars's the force, or is it just strength?

-Hit is gone, and should the theories that he's still around in the ToP stage.

-Love the soundtracks in the second half of the episode.

Quotes:

-Goku: "Universe 2. You guys keep surprisin' me. I kinda get just how amazing this "power of love" thing is. But... Sorry, but for me... More than love, I prefer guts!

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Torturephile wrote:-The last thing I ever expected from the last three U2 warriors was for them to attain the Kamikaze Fireballs' fighting abilities, but it was hilarious seeing them sporting the Fireballs' transformed state attires, specially Zirloin the big guy having Ribrianne's. It was dissapointing in one way, however, as it means they didn't have a moveset of their own.

-I was dissapointed with how the U6 namekians achieved their power. I know that namekian fusions is their quickest method namekians gain power, but that happends to be my least favorite. I would have prefered something else like heavy training on a special place on Namek or some deep meditation that Piccolo never mastered. At least they explained why these two namekians didn't show up until the end.

-U9 was the only universe in which all of its fighters didn't retain their composure while being erased. Props to U2 and U6, specially the manchild that is Champa for keeping a smile and playing with Beerus until the end.

-I wasn't expecting the drag queens that Ribrianne "killed" upon her introduction to reappear. I wasn't also expecting Kami and Neil to reappear ever again, but I'm glad they did. One odd thing about Kami, in one shot, his eyes are normal, but the one after, his eyes are black.

-Is love U2's equivalent to Star Wars's the force, or is it just strength?

-Hit is gone, and should the theories that he's still around in the ToP stage.

-Love the soundtracks in the second half of the episode.

Quotes:

-Goku: "Universe 2. You guys keep surprisin' me. I kinda get just how amazing this "power of love" thing is. But... Sorry, but for me... More than love, I prefer guts!
No lie, I love this line.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 pm

I LOVED this episode.

Great action, great interactions, and a bittersweet ending that caps off the Universes and gives them a satisfying end, even if it means potentially never seeing them again.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 pm

As expected, all of the fighters shown in this episode were pretty much fodderized. The new Namekians meant absolutely nothing. The black hole of love meant absolutely nothing, Universe 7 will continue to faceroll everything until we get to jiren.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Called it again and again. Both universes got erased. They both had the same strategy of relying on their entire planet (U6) or entire universe (U2), but that meant nothing in the end. :|

Hmm, the light-heartedness of the episode despite the impending doom... guess people are really gonna complain about the lack of tension now :lol:

U2 will forever go down as one of Toriyama's biggest gags in history :lol:

Like the GP said, U7 has been dominating this tourament - they've eliminated all of the universes! Second-weakest universe? They've been anything but honestly.

Was that Nail and God I saw alongside Piccolo? Way cool!

Goku can use SSB KK now, despite being low on energy? What was Whis going on about being pushed so much that the "shell" continues to break? Raising the bar? Acclimation? Adjusting to harsh conditions?

We didn't really see Freeza "angry or frustrated" despite the spoilers. Deceiving much, eh? And what was Piccolo's "plan"?

That simultaneous Kamehameha with Goku and Gohan though was nice to see.

Vegeta's angry... though I'm sure him saying he's angry is gonna cause fans to get over-excited about a new power up :lol:

Some people won't be happy at Beerus' reaction to Champa getting erased though... :lol:

The NEP though... was that Vegeta on the edge? Uh-oh. :O
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Didn't the leak say piccolo thought of a plan? Guess they're wrong again because it was Gohan.

Gohan and Piccolo were both treated so well this episode. Gohan having that warrior spirit that made Piccolo motivated, having a great fight against the namekians, making the plan for the special beam cannon and being able to tell they'd be sturdy, saving piccolo multiple times and more was just great.

Piccolo getting his turn to save Gohan, helping deal the final blow, and having a good fight was great too.

Loved the Beerus and Champa scene.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 pm

I thought this episode was a good one. We learned why the Namekians were so strong and we got to see Nail and Kami again. We got to some weriod transformations but I'm okay with it. The music was on point with the episode espically at the end. Goku is now the one with the most elimiations with 10. I loved how Gohan saved Piccolo for once. Rating: 8 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Great episode. Little too much of universe two, but great finale.

Would have preferred that the universe six Namekians didn't get their power through only fusion though.

Gohan saving Piccolo was a nice twist. Kami and Nail making a brief appearance when they were standing over Piccolo was a great visual. Totally unexpected.

The father son Kamehameha/SBC combo at the end was epic.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 pm

I’m surprised, but I really enjoyed this episode. Definitely got a little emotional at the end.

-Nice to to see Nail again!

-I would’ve liked more time with the namekians. They seemed pretty awesome

-I wish we saw more team attacks like we did today. There were some pretty cool animation moments

-I never thought I’d be sad watching U2 get erased. They grew on me

Overall I really enjoyed this episode
How i predict the tournament will end:

SuperHumanGod

Post by SuperHumanGod » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:14 pm

This is a top 5 episode of the ToP for me so far. Everything was on point.

~ Some comedy with the drag trio

- great action and fight scenes. The beam struggle 2v2 and father/son kamehamehas.

- Loved Gohan covering for piccolo and seeing kami/nail breif return.

- U2 grew on me right until the end. Rib>Cauli all day every day.

- The Champa ending had me laughing like a fucker. Champa is now my favourite GoD.

NEP: 18/Piccolo/gohan at risk? I doubt vegeta will lose just yet, has to be bait.
Jiren best new DBS character. Its done.
Fuck those awful U6 saiyans and their tingles too.

chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 pm

I came into this episode thinking it was going to be bad but I was 100 percent wrong. I enjoyed this episode immensely. I loved that the stakes are finally starting to sink it. You can see it on Beerus's face and it is fantastic. Plus Goku and Gohan doing kamehameha. 17, 18 and Goku playing the role, and Gohan going at 100%. Great job, I expected nothing good and got a great episode!!!

Edit, I just want to say, I think they are playing BEERUS perfectly. I seen some comments to the contrary but I whole heartily disagree. Champa was Beerus's brother and a rival. One of them is going to get erased. Beerus stops cheering and only starts again after realizing one of them is going to get erased and at the end bids goodbye in a solemn way but telling way.
Last edited by chickensguys on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.