What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Post by buutenks » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Super was very entertaining while it aired. Since I'm a big fan of DB, i enjoyed it allot. My score would be a 10/10 since its DB and it kept me coming back every sunday to watch the new episode, but since in reality it is deeply flawed, looking at it without nostalgia glasses on, it would be a 5-6/10 IMO.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 pm

I think giving the manga a 2 was too much now.

This recent chapter is simply mediocre and ruined Vegeta.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:52 am

8.5/10
Despite some changes in the continuity, re-used music from The Final Chapters, the retellings of the two movies, the inconsistent animation, some filler episodes and the way some of the characters were portrayed... I find anime Super anime good. It may not be as epic as Z was but it's still great.

Can't say anything about the manga because I barely read it.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 am

ZombieVito wrote:I think giving the manga a 2 was too much now.

This recent chapter is simply mediocre and ruined Vegeta.
Nah, it still has interesting concepts ("healer Trunks", multiple Zamasus, Complete SSB, GoD tournament) and nice drawings, so it's still a 2 to me :D

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:32 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Nah, it still has interesting concepts ("healer Trunks", multiple Zamasus, Complete SSB, GoD tournament) and nice drawings, so it's still a 2 to me :D
I'll give you the GoD battle but the rest?

Awful.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 am

ZombieVito wrote:
wolflonnie wrote: Nah, it still has interesting concepts ("healer Trunks", multiple Zamasus, Complete SSB, GoD tournament) and nice drawings, so it's still a 2 to me :D

Awful.
You mean more grounded, consistent characters? A much more cohesive story? Artwork that doesn't look like two plastic toys hitting each other in the same horizontal angle over and over again?

Yeah, really awful.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:59 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:

Awful.
You mean more grounded, consistent characters? A much more cohesive story? Artwork that doesn't look like two plastic toys hitting each other in the same horizontal angle over and over again?

Yeah, really awful.
so in other words: "it is better because I said so!" huh? You literally just said the characters are "better, the story is better and the art work is better" with no actual argument being presented.

There's nothing more consistent about the characters, the story is an incoherent train wreck, and the art looks like Toriyama was drunk and high at the same time but decided to write some chapters. See? other people can do that too.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: You mean more grounded, consistent characters? A much more cohesive story? Artwork that doesn't look like two plastic toys hitting each other in the same horizontal angle over and over again?

Yeah, really awful.
Complaning about the anime's art while defending the manga, lol. Ironically the anime's art did improve with time while Toyo's as been getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Consistent characters? Where?

Also you can take your "cohesive" story. I'll take the anime's. That one is not boring and dull.

Thanks for the laughs.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:40 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote: You mean more grounded, consistent characters? A much more cohesive story? Artwork that doesn't look like two plastic toys hitting each other in the same horizontal angle over and over again?

Yeah, really awful.
Complaning about the anime's art while defending the manga, lol. Ironically the anime's art did improve with time while Toyo's as been getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Also you can take your "cohesive" story. I'll take the anime's. That one is not boring and dull.

Thanks for the laughs.
I don't think that the manga is even more coherent. this isn't even a question of whether prefer excitement or a cohesive story. One of them is just inferior to the other. There's nothing more cohesive about Trunks getting random healing powers, Black being a Kaioshin but not a Kaioshin, Goku learning the hakai, the crap power scaling in the Black arc, pseudo UI Roshi, Goku is suddenly a kid that has things to learn from, or SSB being both a stamina drainer but also not. It is a mess. Coherence is completely lost

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:34 pm

PFM18 wrote: I don't think that the manga is even more coherent. this isn't even a question of whether prefer excitement or a cohesive story. One of them is just inferior to the other. There's nothing more cohesive about Trunks getting random healing powers, Black being a Kaioshin but not a Kaioshin, Goku learning the hakai, the crap power scaling in the Black arc, pseudo UI Roshi, Goku is suddenly a kid that has things to learn from, or SSB being both a stamina drainer but also not. It is a mess. Coherence is completely lost

So much consistency!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
PFM18 wrote: I don't think that the manga is even more coherent. this isn't even a question of whether prefer excitement or a cohesive story. One of them is just inferior to the other. There's nothing more cohesive about Trunks getting random healing powers, Black being a Kaioshin but not a Kaioshin, Goku learning the hakai, the crap power scaling in the Black arc, pseudo UI Roshi, Goku is suddenly a kid that has things to learn from, or SSB being both a stamina drainer but also not. It is a mess. Coherence is completely lost

So much consistency!
The point of the scene is that Goku is getting caught up in Jiren's power, when he is usually much more sound as a martial artist. That's literally pointed out within the story. What do you gain by taking panels out of context?
PFM18 wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:

Yeah, really awful.

Thanks for the laughs.
I don't think that the manga is even more coherent. this isn't even a question of whether prefer excitement or a cohesive story. One of them is just inferior to the other. There's nothing more cohesive about Trunks getting random healing powers, Black being a Kaioshin but not a Kaioshin, Goku learning the hakai, the crap power scaling in the Black arc, pseudo UI Roshi, Goku is suddenly a kid that has things to learn from, or SSB being both a stamina drainer but also not. It is a mess. Coherence is completely lost
You ruined your own argument with your first point. Trunk's healing powers are foreshadowed for 70% of the arc and have an in-universe explanation. What is random about that?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:11 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:

So much consistency!
The point of the scene is that Goku is getting caught up in Jiren's power, when he is usually much more sound as a martial artist. That's literally pointed out within the story. What do you gain by taking panels out of context?
PFM18 wrote:
ZombieVito wrote: Complaning about the anime's art while defending the manga, lol. Ironically the anime's art did improve with time while Toyo's as been getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Thanks for the laughs.
You ruined your own argument with your first point. Trunk's healing powers are foreshadowed for 70% of the arc and have an in-universe explanation. What is random about that?
It is random because we have never seen a mortal just becoming a Kai or a Kai apprentice and gaining the associated powers. The fact that this even happens diminishes the entire theme of this arc with the distinction between mortals and Gods. The difference is muddied when you can just start training to be a Kaioshin if you are a mortal and it makes Zamasu's disdain towards mortals seem ridiculous because the same God position he has been aspiring to can be acquired by somebody like Trunks. Not to mention the fact that we were lead to believe before that the Gods were born that way and that this situation with Trunks literally can't even happen.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 am

Battle of Gods arc: 5.5/10. Mediocre, had some good, but was mostly boring. Just watch the movie.

Res F: 3/10. Garbage. Movie was already bad, but this is worse. It had some better ideas but it suffers because the source material already sucked, so I have to sit through it longer.

U6 Tournament: 5.9/10. I hesitate to give it an ok rating as most of the characters aren't good, outside of Hit who becomes good later rather than here. The rest are brief amusements at best, lame at worst.

Googeta: 2/10. Garbage. It only gets 2 points because the Dub had Brian Drummond. Outside of that novelty it's trash.

Future Trunks 6.9/10. The closest arc to being at least good. The start was amazing, things were promising. It's the latter parts that fucked it. Especially the bad fanservice which coulda been really great if retooled. So close...but the arc tripped and fumbled at the finish line.

Fillers: 7-8/10. It's honestly sad the most fun I have with the show, is the filler. Was just more fun and competent than the main material.

TOP: 6/10. It had some great moments but even more bad ones than the Future Trunks arc. Rather than being good and fumbling at the end like the Future Trunks arc did, the TOP basically picks up the ball and fumbles constantly. Giving a radically inconsistent roller coaster.

Overall I give it a 6/10. It's ok. It has glorious moments and trash moments. Balancing it out to just ok.

DB: 9/10
DBZ 8/10
DBGT 5/10
DBS 6/10
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:33 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:

So much consistency!
PFM18 wrote:
It is random because we have never seen a mortal just becoming a Kai or a Kai apprentice and gaining the associated powers. The fact that this even happens diminishes the entire theme of this arc with the distinction between mortals and Gods. The difference is muddied when you can just start training to be a Kaioshin if you are a mortal and it makes Zamasu's disdain towards mortals seem ridiculous because the same God position he has been aspiring to can be acquired by somebody like Trunks. Not to mention the fact that we were lead to believe before that the Gods were born that way and that this situation with Trunks literally can't even happen.
The arc isn't really thematically heavy in the manga. The manga arc is more about improving Super Saiyan Blue rather than the dynamic between gods and mortals.

Also, saying it had never been shown before makes no sense. Why would it have been shown before? Is Dragon Ball not allowed to explore any new concepts related to the Gid Hierarchy?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 am

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: The point of the scene is that Goku is getting caught up in Jiren's power, when he is usually much more sound as a martial artist. That's literally pointed out within the story. What do you gain by taking panels out of context?

The arc isn't really thematically heavy in the manga. The manga arc is more about improving Super Saiyan Blue rather than the dynamic between gods and mortals.

Also, saying it had never been shown before makes no sense. Why would it have been shown before? Is Dragon Ball not allowed to explore any new concepts related to the Gid Hierarchy?
I mean the way you summarize the arc of just being about "improving Super Saiyan Blue" shows just how bad the arc is in the manga.

Technically it was never explicitly stated that you couldn't just be a Kaioshin, but that was was always the implication. Aside from intensely clashing thematically, we were always lead to believe these Gods were born this way and you can't just become one. They changed this without having any really big over-arching ramifications to make it worth it.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:08 am

I'll say, what the manga lacks the most is neither character consistency nor cohesive story.
I think it's merely the fact that it doesn't convey emotions in any way. Good writing hooks you because you get invested in the characters and the world, and you get invested because those characters show feelings we relate to one way or the other.
The manga, I don't think it conveys emotions very well. I'll take any day anime Vegeta's transformation is SSBE than the manga version. Or U6 anime erasure vs U6 manga erasure.
Try comparing those scenes, side by side, you'll notice how much better the scenes are built in the anime.
I think Toyotaro is a rather rigid writer, either because it's his style, or he doesn't feel totally comfortable conveying emotions using Toriyama's characters. Either way, Toriyama wrote DB and DBZ without planning much, but that worked because he also conveyed emotion on the spot, without thinking much about them (think of SSJ Goku's reaction after killing Frieza). Seems like they (Toyo and Tory) aren't giving much attention to this facet when it comes to the manga.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: The arc isn't really thematically heavy in the manga. The manga arc is more about improving Super Saiyan Blue rather than the dynamic between gods and mortals.

I mean the way you summarize the arc of just being about "improving Super Saiyan Blue" shows just how bad the arc is in the manga.
Mastering SSB was only mentioned at the climax :lol: I don't how is that the main theme of the Ft trunks manga if anything ROF and U6 should have focus on mastering SSB.
Mostly active on discord.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Design 5/10
The character models are inconsistent and when they don´t look terrible, they look bland.
Animation 6/10
Aside from a few choice episodes like 86, 109-110, and 130-131, the animation isn't very impressive and can look really bad too. And don´t make me mention episode 5.
OST 6/10
Aside from Clash of Gods, Ultimate Battle, and Limit Break X Survivor, the music sound either out of place or bland.
Story 3/10
Its first 2 arcs are bad re-tellings, the U6 tournament is borring up until the Goku Vs Hit Fight, The Future Trunks arc is good until the writing gets crappy at the end, and the ToP is full of good fights but bad plot structure and terrible characterization.

Over all: 5.3/10

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm

DBS ep:47-73 is alongside Planet M2-Baby Saga&Saiyaman- Buu arc my favorite part in the entire franchise & easily a 9/10 for me but at the same time the only Part I really liked about Super
GT Fighter

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Technically it was never explicitly stated that you couldn't just be a Kaioshin, but that was was always the implication. Aside from intensely clashing thematically, we were always lead to believe these Gods were born this way and you can't just become one. They changed this without having any really big over-arching ramifications to make it worth it.
Trunks wasn't a Kaioshin though, he was just an assistant. Is there a reason trunks can't assist a god?

Also, the entire arc can summarized by "Blue improving," in the same way that the entire Cell saga can be summarized by, "SS1 improving." Does that make the Cell saga bad?