What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naelysucker

Re: What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Post by Naelysucker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Anime :

Battle of Gods arc - 3/10.

Resurrection F arc - 1/10.

Champa arc - 4/10.

Future Trunks arc - 4.5/10.

Universe Survival arc - 3/10

Manga :

Champa arc - 6/10.

Future Trunks arc - 7/10.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Artorias wrote:PS: The manga is also a 4/10.
Hmm. Not a fan of the manga. I'm surprised. Most of people on this forum really like it. Any reasons why it's not your cup of tea?
I just think Toyotaro is too focused on having the story "make sense" in terms of powerscaling and explanations, and not focused enough on meaningful character interactions and memorable, fun moments. There's way too many unnecessary exposition moments where he's clearly inorganically trying to cover up plot holes that he just created rather than focusing on crafting a fun narrative. Sort of the opposite of classic Toriyama, where making a fun story came first, filling in plot holes came second. And even then, there's STILL tons of plot holes in Toyotaro's stories.

And on top of that, I think the Black arc, especially the finale, was pretty terrible. Obviously it looked pretty, but that's not enough for me, especially in a manga format.

Some of the biggest issues I have in case you or anyone is curious:

-Black and Zamasu are FAR less interesting and intimidating in the manga
-The single biggest draw of the arc, the mystery element, is completely gone
-The finale drags ASS for no reason
-Goku "full power" SSB is contrived and dumb and exists as empty Goku pandering (I'm a massive Goku fan and even I thought that was lame as hell)
-Merged Zamasu has NONE of the cool attacks that made him memorable in the anime. No Holy Wrath, no Blades of Judgement, instead he just...chucks god bricks. Wow, so thrilling.
-The whole Zamasu clones thing was just silly and served to only extend an arc that had already overstayed its welcome
-Trunks does jack shit in his own story arc. Sure the anime Rage form was contrived, but I'll take asspully power ups any day over complete inactivity

Also, if I'm being honest, I dislike the manga even more simply because of how beloved it is. Everyone's always going on and on about how it's so much better than the anime and fixes all the issues...and I just don't see it. For every issue it fixes, it creates another one in a different place. So I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that has a bit of extra hate simply because of how much blind praise it gets.

I realize I just wrote a short essay lol. Sorry. I tend to ramble when talking about the manga.
Artorias wrote:Super is the most inconsistent piece of content I've ever consumed so it's damn near impossible to give it a true rating. Both in terms of the arcs themselves compared to each other and the episodes within arcs. It will literally go from 2/10 trash to 10/10 hype in a week.

First two arcs are 1/10 garbage. I don't feel like that's too controversial to say at this point.

Excluding those, starting with the non-movie content:

-I guess it's like a 6/10 for a Dragon Ball show.
-And a 4/10 compared to other shows.
-Champa Arc is like a 4/10
-The Future Trunks arc was a solid 8/10 up until episode 61 where it all fell apart.
-ToP is like a 7/10 at this point. However, I predict that they're going to absolutely fuck up the ending, which will probably bring it down to a 5/10 or so.

I give it those scores because the only thing the show consistently gets right is character interactions. Everything else can and does turn to shit at a moments notice. Animation, plot, characters, pacing, direction. It all fluctuates from amazing to absolutely horrific. I just can't justify giving the show any higher than a 4 because of that.

PS: The manga is also a 4/10.
One thing I'd like to add to my post here is that, despite the low score I give the show, I still enjoy it immensely. I'm the kind of person that looks at the glass as half full when it comes to fiction, as in, I can usually overlook the bad parts of a piece of content and instead focus on the good if there's an equal amount of it. So to me, even though a lot of parts of Super are trash, there's still plenty of truly memorable scenes and episodes that my mind tends to remember instead. So even though objectively, I maintain that its around a 4/10, that doesn't prevent me from having a great time watching it week to week. I'm just too much of a fan of these characters to not enjoy myself.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm

4/10. The ToP and FT Trunks arcs were pretty enjoyable. The rest is absolutely trash. So far every arc has been better than the previous one imo, so hopefully the next arc will be even better.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Artorias wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Artorias wrote:PS: The manga is also a 4/10.
Hmm. Not a fan of the manga. I'm surprised. Most of people on this forum really like it. Any reasons why it's not your cup of tea?
I just think Toyotaro is too focused on having the story "make sense" in terms of powerscaling and explanations, and not focused enough on meaningful character interactions and memorable, fun moments. There's way too many unnecessary exposition moments where he's clearly inorganically trying to cover up plot holes that he just created rather than focusing on crafting a fun narrative. Sort of the opposite of classic Toriyama, where making a fun story came first, filling in plot holes came second. And even then, there's STILL tons of plot holes in Toyotaro's stories.

And on top of that, I think the Black arc, especially the finale, was pretty terrible. Obviously it looked pretty, but that's not enough for me, especially in a manga format.

-Goku "full power" SSB is contrived and dumb and exists as empty Goku pandering (I'm a massive Goku fan and even I thought that was lame as hell)
-Merged Zamasu has NONE of the cool attacks that made him memorable in the anime. No Holy Wrath, no Blades of Judgement, instead he just...chucks god bricks. Wow, so thrilling.
-The whole Zamasu clones thing was just silly and served to only extend an arc that had already overstayed its welcome
-Trunks does jack shit in his own story arc. Sure the anime Rage form was contrived, but I'll take asspully power ups any day over complete inactivity

Also, if I'm being honest, I dislike the manga even more simply because of how beloved it is. Everyone's always going on and on about how it's so much better than the anime and fixes all the issues...and I just don't see it. For every issue it fixes, it creates another one in a different place. So I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that has a bit of extra hate simply because of how much blind praise it gets.

I realize I just wrote a short essay lol. Sorry. I tend to ramble when talking about the manga.
You hit the nail right in the head,they ruined Hit and Black and made them forgettable.I give it a 5/10 only The Top made me interested in the manga mostly it actually feel like Toyotaro telling a story rather than turning an exposition galore.I've only feel like get blind praise in other social media,here however is been a mixed bag for the community.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Hmm. Not a fan of the manga. I'm surprised. Most of people on this forum really like it. Any reasons why it's not your cup of tea?

You hit the nail right in the head,they ruined Hit and Black and made them forgettable.I give it a 5/10 only The Top made me interested in the manga mostly it actually feel like Toyotaro telling a story rather than turning an exposition galore.I've only feel like get blind praise in other social media,here however is been a mixed bag for the community.
The blind praise it gets at least on social media and whatnot is just so baffling to me. People will shit all over the anime for the most mundane issues, and then completely ignore GLARING problems in the manga. I think people are just easily impressed with the pretty pictures, and conflate that with the actual writing being good.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Artorias wrote: The blind praise it gets at least on social media and whatnot is just so baffling to me. People will shit all over the anime for the most mundane issues, and then completely ignore GLARING problems in the manga. I think people are just easily impressed with the pretty pictures, and conflate that with the actual writing being good.
Which is why I don't put too much stock a social media comments when they say the manga is better than the Anime.By looking at the Super manga vs Super Anime thread,is definitely not well liked and more people are noticing the flaws which is a good thing, both versions has it's pros and cons.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:45 pm

BOG: 4/10

RoF: 1/10

U6: 4/10

FT Arc: 8/10

TOP: 3/10
GT Fighter

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Kanassa wrote:7/10 overall
For context:
DB: 8/10
DBZ: 5/10
DBGT: 3/10
Wait wait you rate it 2 points higher than DBZ?
GT_Goten10 wrote:BOG: 4/10

Alright so you necro posted this thread just to rip DBS? wow

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm

PFM18 wrote:
For context:
GT_Goten10 wrote:BOG: 4/10

Alright so you necro posted this thread just to rip DBS? wow
Why should I? lol FT Arc-9 Weeks of peace "arc" is actually one of my favorite Parts in the entire franchise
GT Fighter

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 pm

PFM18 wrote:
For context:
Yes, DBZ was a very average watch and the Original DB and Super by far blow it out of the water
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm

3/10, no more and no less.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Kanassa wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
For context:
Yes, DBZ was a very average watch and the Original DB and Super by far blow it out of the water
Could you elaborate please? I agree that the Original DB is the best of the three by a comfortable margin but I personally think DBS and DBZ are roughly even.

I'd go:

DB: 9/10
DBZ: 8/10
DBS: 8/10
GT: 3.5/10

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Battle of Gods Anime: 6
Fukkatsu no F Anime: 3
Universe 6x7: Anime: 7
Zamasu Anime: 9.5
Universal Survival Anime: 7.5

Battle of Gods Manga: 3
6x7 Manga: 4
Zamasu: 6
Universal Survival: 5

Dragon Ball 1-17: 9
Dragon Ball17-42: 7
Dragon Ball Super Anime: 8 because of Zamasu (no, I am not calculating some middle value)
Dragon Ball Super Manga: 4 ( - " -)
Dragon Ball GT: 9
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Grimlock wrote:Design/quality animation = 4/10
OST = 8/10
Story (Universe 6 saga, Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga) = 4.5/10
Characters = 2/10
Since this was before Dragon Ball Super ended, here's my overall rating after its conclusion:

• 4/10 (being generous/counting specific things I liked).
• 2/10 (being impartial).

A heavily marketed new series under the "after 18 years" excuse and all we got from it was terrible retellings and two tournaments out of three "original" sagas. With just one having a plot but ended up stuck in the safe zone.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 am

Three arcs of pure garbage, one decent arc, and one below-average arc averages out to garbage.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:16 am

Am I surprised that the Future Trunks arc is the redeeming quality of Dragon Ball: Super for many viewers? No, Why should I be? I am extremely comfortable in saying that the Future Trunks arc is the best arc in Super by far, since it had a gripping and unpredictable plot, an astonishing soundtrack, an eerie and sombre scenery and, of course, Zamasu, one of the most complex, multi-layered, mysterious, successful and dangerous characters in all of Dragon Ball.

Toei should take a hint from that arc once Super comes back. Fewer boring tournaments with garbage antagonists, more story-driven arcs with fascinating villains.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:23 am

With the show over and more than enough time to contemplate the good and the bad of Super...

I'd give the anime and 8.5/10. I did say if the show could stick the landing of the finale of the Universal Survival arc I would give it that rating. So... yeah.

As for the manga, it's an 6.5/10. Primarily because the Universal Survival has been a huge let down (so far).

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:33 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Three arcs of pure garbage, one decent arc, and one below-average arc averages out to garbage.
If I were to sum it up in a similar way:

2 exceptional arcs, one good arc, one decent arc and one bad arc averages out to being very good.

For Z:

2 exceptional arcs, one very good arc, and one bad arc averages out to being very good.

For GT:

one very good arc, one bad arc and 2 abysmal arcs averages out to being very bad.

And then the Original Dragon Ball every arc was just really good to exceptional
SupremeKai25 wrote:Am I surprised that the Future Trunks arc is the redeeming quality of Dragon Ball: Super for many viewers? No, Why should I be? I am extremely comfortable in saying that the Future Trunks arc is the best arc in Super by far, since it had a gripping and unpredictable plot, an astonishing soundtrack, an eerie and sombre scenery and, of course, Zamasu, one of the most complex, multi-layered, mysterious, successful and dangerous characters in all of Dragon Ball.

Toei should take a hint from that arc once Super comes back. Fewer boring tournaments with garbage antagonists, more story-driven arcs with fascinating villains.
It still had a completely garbage ending. To me, that prevents it from being the best arc in Super
Lord Beerus wrote:With the show over and more than enough time to contemplate the good and the bad of Super...

I'd give the anime and 8.5/10. I did say if the show could stick the landing of the finale of the Universal Survival arc I would give it that rating. So... yeah.

As for the manga, it's an 6.5/10. Primarily because the Universal Survival has been a huge let down (so far).
Yeah I would give the anime a similar rating and I'd probably drop the manga a point or two but I generally agree

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am

Movies:

Battle of Gods - 8/10

Resurrection F - 5/10

Anime:

Battle of Gods - 3/10

Resurrection F - 2/10

Universe 6 Tournament - 4/10

Goku Black - 5/10

Universe Survival - 5/10

Manga:

Battle of Gods - 2/10

Universe 6 Tournament - 5/10

Goku Black - 6/10

Universe Survival - 6/10 (So far)

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Anime: 8
Manga: 6
I enjoy both medians but I enjoy the anime more.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.