What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What would you rate DBS out of 10?

Post by buutenks » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:12 am

BoG 8/10. I found it much better than the movie.

RoF 5/10. Would be higher, but terrible animation, ep 27 was 11/10 tho. First time I shed tears to anything DB related.

U6 7/10.Vados, Hit,Goku n Vegeta, rest meh.

FT 9/10 Not giving 10/10 because of that horrible looking Vegeta in ep 67.

ToP 9/10 so far.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:25 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Grimlock wrote: Let's forget about the movie and pretent the saga came out of nowhere: how in the heck nothing happened there?
Are you really expecting 100% originality in Dragon Ball? :eh: When did that ever happen?
What i meant is that half of saga was about Beerus eating at a party and other half was Goku vs Beerus. I only mean it lacked variety in events. Entire fight was too long for me. Other than that, concept was really cool.

I am not expecting 100% originality, but at least 10% which this saga didn't even had. Villain wasn't original at all. Designs were just evil Goku and Kaioshin. Evil Goku is something we already had in form of Turles and Ginyu after switching bodies which is another thing this saga did. Ginyu took Goku's body and Baby took Vegeta's body. Oh, Baby right? Almost everything about Zamasu says "I am the DBS version of Baby!". Let's add forced fusion only for fanservice, let's add Future Trunks and time travelling because why not. Fusing with himself? Super 17 did that. Seriously, that's not all, i just can't find any really original side of this arc. Even if we ignore entire talk about originality, i just didn't like Zamasu as a character and i didn't like Trunks learnin mafuba from a video, nor going into present and past over and over. I must admit this saga had a tense atmosphere tho. Also, Zamasu isn't that bad in manga.
sangofe wrote: You're Cleary wasting your time. Why do you bother?
I actually don't. I stopped watching Super in June. I only watch fragments of the most important episodes on youtube to have knowledge on what is going on. Besides, i don't want to rate something without actually watching it. Current arc is the first thing in DB that actually made me stop watching it. It's so bad. Sure, Copy Vegeta is the worst thing ever, but it takes oly a few episodes and it's just a filler.
So you're shitting on something without really watching it. Way to go.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:59 am

sangofe wrote: So you're shitting on something without really watching it. Way to go.
Nice logic.
Don't like it? Don't watch it
Not watching? Then don't say it's bad

Seriously? So by your logic you either have positive opinion or no opinion at all. There is no place for negative opinion. How am i supposed to say DBS is bad then?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Nice logic.

Seriously? So by your logic you either have positive opinion or no opinion at all. There is no place for negative opinion. How am i supposed to say DBS is bad then?
You don't have to say it's bad at all. Criticisms are fine, but if there's no redeeming qualities in the show for you, then why bother keeping up with it? If all you're doing is spreading negativity about the series - particularly for those who actually enjoy it such as myself (though I acknowledge its flaws) - you're not really accomplishing much by watching it!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
sangofe wrote: So you're shitting on something without really watching it. Way to go.
Nice logic.

You said " I stopped watching Super in June. I only watch fragments of the most important episodes on youtube".
That's not enough to say this is the worst saga ever in Db's history. It just isn't.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Anime[spoiler]The Bog saga had terrible pacing as well scripting,i did not liked how they dragged the ritual and made that's my Bulma overdramatic and let's not speak of the odd Animation/Art.The positve i can think off is episode 6 and some parts in Goku vs Beerus.
    Rof had a better frieza as well story compared to the movie but man they botched a lot of things,Tagoma,horrible animation and a pointless death making this as bad as Bog
      U6 is a dull tournament with awesome battles,the first two match was trash as well Vegeta vs frost.Hit was great and intimidating,if i weren't for his matches i wouldn't cared for this tournament
        Ft Trunks was the first saga that had real stakes and tension,Black was a great villain and trunks was a great character with a horrible ending.
          The saga suffers from nothing making senses,an pointless third trip and rushed finale still an improvement.
            The current arc is not done yet but i'm not liking the direction of it,i will give my full opinion once is over.Overall the anime get's a 6[/spoiler]Manga[spoiler]The Bog was insanely rushed but i've enjoyed the little details hidden in there,champa appearing was a threat so that's a positive.
              U6 started out so well sadly they botched things,Piccolo vs Frost was too short for my liking and they ruined Hit by cheapening his victory and by making his final match horrible,sadly this starts the streaks of awful villains.
                Ft trunks makes sense in the manga in powerscaling sadly the manga never gave me reason to cared for his timeline making the ending hollow and they wasted on pointless fluff in the beginning and man it felt rushed at places.
                  Let's not talk about the horrible introduction of Black,you just don't have your villain in the first encounter being trashed,it just make his second match hollow and it just stupid that he never interacted with Goku,you know the guy who stole his body.
                    The manga did got better in chapter 20,the pacing got better while the art got more uglier and is noticable for having a lot of homages.But damn Goku vs MZ was hands down the best battle in modern DB,not a single panel distracted wonderful stuff.
                      The current arc is really good in the manga,having a legit villain,the battles at least in the exhibition are an improvement while battles like #17 vs Goku and Vegeta vs Beerus are generic.He also toned down the exposition and improved the pacing.If he keeps this up the manga will get a 7,now is just a 6.[/spoiler]
                      Mostly active on discord.

ConfusedPhantom
                      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Totamo wrote:I rate it an "I'm still here after 118 episodes" out of 10 so it must be doing something right or maybe i'm just a blinded nostalgic moron who is watching a bad show because it has dragon ball, which my nostalgia may have also made better than actually was, in the title.

Nah, its the former.
                      This is my rating, really.

It's way too soon to call out on a final rating. But, so far, the show's best is keeping me around despite the show's worst, and lately it has been wowing me for four months straight. That's a lot for a weekly battle shounen. There's also the manga, if I want a narratively consistent version.

Spider-Man
                      Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm

For the anime only.
                        BoG: 5/10
                          RoF: 4/10
                            U6: 6/10
                              FT: 7/10
                                ToP: No rating yet
                                  Overall a 6/10 Super is really a mix bag to me.

TheUltimateNinja
                                  I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm

I would give it a 9.8/10.

Doctor.
                                  Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:50 pm

I would have said it's mediocre, or even above average, before the ToP began. The Champa arc was mediocre, and the retellings managed to improve enough stuff on the movies or add cool new stuff to the point I didn't write them both completely as garbage like most people did (BoG arc is worse than the movie, though it still has its merits, but I still stand that the F arc is much better than its movie counterpart). But the score would come mostly from the Black arc, which certainly pales in comparison compared to some of the manga's arc and the whole arc just feels disjointed and incoherent, but, even so, it's still better than anything else in the show. With the ToP being one of the worst arcs in the franchise, if not the worst, it's now a bad show. I've been losing interest and I would forget to watch the new episodes every week if my friends didn't watch and discuss the show as well.

So, uh, 4/10, I guess?

Super_Divine_Genki
                                  Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:34 pm

I think that I'm hovering around a 4/10, if I'm viewing Super as its own thing, all things considered. I still have it sitting at a 2/10 as a continuation of DB/Z, mostly due to "less-than-stellar" execution of great concepts, "less-than-stellar" general art/animation, and unfitting soundtrack, imo. I still hear the soundtrack as some replacement score -- but it's not! The score still sounds mostly so wierd to me for a DB series (I need more SILENCE too!). And yet, the series is still fun in some odd way. In the end, it's more Dragon Ball, and I'm having fun with the ride that we're all on. This isn't going to happen again in the same way, so lets appreciate the legendary original seiyuu (which we've been in the process of losing even very recently) and Toriyama's last run in this kind of capacity. It's difficult for me to properly analyze the series when I'm so swept up in the other side of what makes the series the thing that it is (hard working artists and animators and storyboarders and script writers and directors,etc. are getting lots of recognition and are no longer these anonymous persons that do... things!).

Looking at just the show, those first 46 episodes were messy. Mediocre to all-time bad at best. It was a very rough start, and obviously, more planning should've been involved if another long-running series was going to happen. The F.Trunks/Zamasu arc was a massive improvement with some all-time great moments, but still suffered from some rushed production (perhaps lacking resources still), particularly towards the end. Everything leading up to the ToP and the ToP itself has been fun keeping up with for the most part (more characters introduced than I can keep track of!). The whole "who's getting eliminated next" aspect has been cool and interesting. And the art/animation/writing/directing/general presentation has really been upped across the board compared to what came before it with this series,imo. Still has questionable things going on, but generally, a nice improvement. I'll have to see how the whole thing plays out before I can give it a more honest assessment -- we're still in the forest. It's been a very memorable series at the least, for good and bad.
                                  Last edited by Super_Divine_Genki on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyena_Yamcha
                                  Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:37 pm

i would give it a 6 out of 10

BOG Arc : 6/10

ROF Arc : 2/10

Champa Arc : 7/10

FT Arc : 9/10

TOP Arc : 6/10 for now
                                  My English is poor .

Artorias
                                  Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 am

Super is the most inconsistent piece of content I've ever consumed so it's damn near impossible to give it a true rating. Both in terms of the arcs themselves compared to each other and the episodes within arcs. It will literally go from 2/10 trash to 10/10 hype in a week.

First two arcs are 1/10 garbage. I don't feel like that's too controversial to say at this point.

Excluding those, starting with the non-movie content:

-I guess it's like a 6/10 for a Dragon Ball show.
                                  -And a 4/10 compared to other shows.
                                  -Champa Arc is like a 4/10
                                  -The Future Trunks arc was a solid 8/10 up until episode 61 where it all fell apart.
                                  -ToP is like a 7/10 at this point. However, I predict that they're going to absolutely fuck up the ending, which will probably bring it down to a 5/10 or so.

I give it those scores because the only thing the show consistently gets right is character interactions. Everything else can and does turn to shit at a moments notice. Animation, plot, characters, pacing, direction. It all fluctuates from amazing to absolutely horrific. I just can't justify giving the show any higher than a 4 because of that.

PS: The manga is also a 4/10.

sangofe
                                  Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am

Artorias wrote:Super is the most inconsistent piece of content I've ever consumed so it's damn near impossible to give it a true rating. Both in terms of the arcs themselves compared to each other and the episodes within arcs. It will literally go from 2/10 trash to 10/10 hype in a week.

First two arcs are 1/10 garbage. I don't feel like that's too controversial to say at this point.
                                  1/10? Are you being serious? That's like 0.5/5... There's no objectivity in this. While the arcs obviously have weaknesses, it's not this bad. And the best episodes are fantastic even in these arcs. The worst are bad, but not worse than I'd say 4/10. Ok, maybe the worst Freeza episode is 3, but that's the absolute worse. And did you forget the anime original episodes that weren't covered by the movies?

coola
                                  I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:01 am

sangofe wrote:
                                  Artorias wrote:Super is the most inconsistent piece of content I've ever consumed so it's damn near impossible to give it a true rating. Both in terms of the arcs themselves compared to each other and the episodes within arcs. It will literally go from 2/10 trash to 10/10 hype in a week.

1/10? Are you being serious? That's like 0.5/5... There's no objectivity in this. While the arcs obviously have weaknesses, it's not this bad. And the best episodes are fantastic even in these arcs. The worst are bad, but not worse than I'd say 4/10. Ok, maybe the worst Freeza episode is 3, but that's the absolute worse. And did you forget the anime original episodes that weren't covered by the movies?
                                  To be fair, some of earlier episodes were just bad, one of worse looking episodes in entire series, especially pre home release ones, Mars Of Destruction level of bad, and, with movies being better alternative, i would give it 3-4 out of 10, but i can se some people give it 1 as well :)
                                  My Twitter: @kamil198811
                                  Bulma fan
                                  Thanks to Discotek:
                                  Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
                                  Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DBZAOTA482
                                  Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:44 pm

6/10 (Manga)
                                  4.5/10 (Anime)
                                  fadeddreams5 wrote:
                                  DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
                                  Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
                                  jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Artorias
                                  Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:11 pm

sangofe wrote:

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the BOG arc, but I literally can't think of a single good episode in the RoF arc with the exception of the last one. So yea, at least RoF is a 1/10.

RedHeat
                                  Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:51 pm

7/10 for the entire series so far.

9/10 for the ToP so far.
                                  Feels over Reals.

Lord Beerus
                                  Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 am

Artorias wrote:PS: The manga is also a 4/10.
                                  Hmm. Not a fan of the manga. I'm surprised. Most of people on this forum really like it. Any reasons why it's not your cup of tea?

BlueBasilisk
                                  I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 am

As of right now I'd give the anime a 7/10 on the whole. It has some high highs and pretty low lows and I'm sure my frustration with the stupid Goku writing starting at 112 is seeping in there, but I feel that the highs are frequent enough and good enough to offset the lows now, and my rating might improve once the Tournament is over and we can see the point of the arc.

I'd give the manga a 5.5/10. Toyotaro's art is pretty on-point but it doesn't stand on its own very well with a rushed BoG arc and absent RoF arc. The U6 tournament and the Future Trunks arc were also brought down by the lack of threat from Hit, Black and Zamasu. The ToP arc has been really good so far. Hopefully he can stay the course with it.