Is the composition of the Universe Survival arc terrible?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Is the composition of the Universe Survival arc terrible?

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:27 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: But how would could that work? The Universal arc didn't begin until Episode 77. And the actual circumstances of the Tournament of Power itself weren't made clear until Episode 80, and then narrative could only start focusing on the other universes after Episode 83. They had about 16 episodes to cover everything. That all included, establishing which characters would compose of Team Universe 7 and justifying their inclusion in the team, Android 17 returning to the cast, the subplot of Majin Boo sleeping and Freeza replacing him, and six other universes.

And besides, most of time, all of the the characters who will fight in the tournament aren't revealed until just before the tournament begins.
It's called good planning. Properly planned, the arc would start off shortly after the Zamasu arc. And even with 16 episodes, that's enough time to introduce at least some of the new characters.
The audience have no context to believe that the next next arc, right after the Future Trunks arc, would be an arc like the Universal Survival arc. Not every person who watches Dragon Ball Super scours online to find out what the latest "spoilers" or "leaks" would be to potential future episodes. There a lot of fans who follow Super and base what they think the next episode will be on the 30 second episode preview.

What kind of context could you provide to explore the other universes, especially right after an arc like the Future Trunks arc? It would be extremely jarring, at least from a narrative perspective, to jump so, let's say, Universe 2. What purpose would an episode like that serve? Why is story suddenly shifting to what other universes are doing? Why should, or would, anybody care about that?

An episode that would focus on Universe 2 or Universe 4 or Universe 9 would be random and unnecessary given the context of why those universe are being explored hasn't been provided. You want people to be intrigued by the concept of other universes? You have to first provide a context in the narrative that justifies the reason for hopping into what other universes are doing. Otherwise, those kind of episodes would basically be seen as disposable and time-wasting.
What are you talking about? Just cut the filler from the Zamasu arc onwards and start it right after 67 with the Zen Exhibition and all that like in the series proper. But now you have more episodes and more time to allocate to the other universes during the recruitment stage. You don't need to give them specific episodes, you can give them the B plot of an episode while the A plot goes to U7, like the episodes about the U6 Saiyans during the recruitment arc. Only instead of just doing this for 2 episodes, you'd do it with all of them instead of wasting time with U7's recruitment process, which should be really easy and quick.

What do you mean, a reason? ALL of the universes are risking their lives. That's more than enough reason to learn about them before they die, so that we can feel for their deaths and realize just how pointless and terrible this tournament is supposed to be, but really doesn't feel like. You have to remember these are innocent people who have to defend their universe in a life-or-death situation. You only don't care because all of the characters in this tournament have been portrayed as one-dimensional caricatures cackling and acting cocky all the time. That's why this tournament is a waste of time and concept, millions are being genocided yet you couldn't care less because nobody is likable and we now nothing about the universes themselves. I'm giving you an alternative that could have made these characters likable and explore the universes properly.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
It's called good planning. Properly planned, the arc would start off shortly after the Zamasu arc. And even with 16 episodes, that's enough time to introduce at least some of the new characters.
The audience have no context to believe that the next next arc, right after the Future Trunks arc, would be an arc like the Universal Survival arc. Not every person who watches Dragon Ball Super scours online to find out what the latest "spoilers" or "leaks" would be to potential future episodes. There a lot of fans who follow Super and base what they think the next episode will be on the 30 second episode preview.

What kind of context could you provide to explore the other universes, especially right after an arc like the Future Trunks arc? It would be extremely jarring, at least from a narrative perspective, to jump so, let's say, Universe 2. What purpose would an episode like that serve? Why is story suddenly shifting to what other universes are doing? Why should, or would, anybody care about that?

An episode that would focus on Universe 2 or Universe 4 or Universe 9 would be random and unnecessary given the context of why those universe are being explored hasn't been provided. You want people to be intrigued by the concept of other universes? You have to first provide a context in the narrative that justifies the reason for hopping into what other universes are doing. Otherwise, those kind of episodes would basically be seen as disposable and time-wasting.
What are you talking about? Just cut the filler from the Zamasu arc onwards and start it right after 67 with the Zen Exhibition and all that like in the series proper. But now you have more episodes and more time to allocate to the other universes during the recruitment stage. You don't need to give them specific episodes, you can give them the B plot of an episode while the A plot goes to U7, like the episodes about the U6 Saiyans during the recruitment arc. Only instead of just doing this for 2 episodes, you'd do it with all of them instead of wasting time with U7's recruitment process, which should be really easy and quick.

What do you mean, a reason? ALL of the universes are risking their lives. That's more than enough reason to learn about them before they die, so that we can feel for their deaths and realize just how pointless and terrible this tournament is supposed to be, but really doesn't feel like. You have to remember these are innocent people who have to defend their universe in a life-or-death situation. You only don't care because all of the characters in this tournament have been portrayed as one-dimensional caricatures cackling and acting cocky all the time. That's why this tournament is a waste of time and concept, millions are being genocided yet you couldn't care less because nobody is likable and we now nothing about the universes themselves. I'm giving you an alternative that could have made these characters likable and explore the universes properly.
I agree with basically everything you said. To play devil's advocate...they are cocky because they are the strongest in their universe. I'd assume no-one in this tournament is used to losing too much on battles as well.

Also I wouldn't say everyone is cocky so much as they just have belief in themselves.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:11 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: The audience have no context to believe that the next next arc, right after the Future Trunks arc, would be an arc like the Universal Survival arc. Not every person who watches Dragon Ball Super scours online to find out what the latest "spoilers" or "leaks" would be to potential future episodes. There a lot of fans who follow Super and base what they think the next episode will be on the 30 second episode preview.

I agree with basically everything you said. To play devil's advocate...they are cocky because they are the strongest in their universe. I'd assume no-one in this tournament is used to losing too much on battles as well.

Also I wouldn't say everyone is cocky so much as they just have belief in themselves.
I think what we needed were more moments like the Gohan/locket moment. Instead we got that and the first universe erasure and that's it for drama and tension. I remember being pretty anxious knowing that if they didn't succeed on Namek they were pretty much done for. For the stakes they are playing at there is a lack of seriousness and solemness. I think I've really taken it as find for modern shonen and kids shows and it reminds me more of Pokemon than Dragonball in tone and composition. It's fine for what it is and who it appeals to, its just not the "classic" composition like we are use to.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Your alternative sounds very reasonable, but for a show like Super, especially when it's going to have arc that will have constant fighting, it needed that 10 weeks of filler episodes so that the staff and animators required for the episodes that needed that extra flair (Episodes 79, 86, 91, 95, 96, 103, 109, 110, 114, 116, 117 and, 118) could be produced. Super's production was in total hell for the best part of its first year. That's why even when they had the talent available, they didn't have the amount of time needed to produce their work to their best standard, or they just didn't have enough time to work on the show at all. Plus, a breather period before jumping into the next arc is always a good way for the plot and audience to collect themselves before heading into the next major event. A lot of anime do this.

And I'm not say there is no reason for them to give episodes to other universes. I'm all for it and think the anime should have done more. What I'm saying is that those kinds of episodes have to take place appropriately in the narrative. If you want to spend an episode an another universe that's fine. But do so when the plot gives a tangible context for why the narrative is spending time in another universe. Have those kind of episode take place after the circumstances of the Tournament Of Power have be laid out fully and Zen Exhibition Macth(es) come to a conclusion

And with 16 episodes that they had in the anime, they introduced Universe 9 (Bergamo, Basil and Lavender), Universe 11 (Toppo, Kahseral, Jiren and Dyspo), Universe 2 (Brianne de Chateau/Ribrianne), Universe 4 (Ganos), Universe 6 (Caulifla and Kale), Universe 3 (Nigurisshi and Nariraama), Universe 10 (Murichimu) and the Universe 7 recruitment episodes properly reintroduced and/or sold me on the concept of the likes Freeza, Android 17, Krillin, Roshi and Majin Boo taking part. That was good enough for me.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:57 pm

TheMikado wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

I think what we needed were more moments like the Gohan/locket moment. Instead we got that and the first universe erasure and that's it for drama and tension. I remember being pretty anxious knowing that if they didn't succeed on Namek they were pretty much done for. For the stakes they are playing at there is a lack of seriousness and solemness. I think I've really taken it as find for modern shonen and kids shows and it reminds me more of Pokemon than Dragonball in tone and composition. It's fine for what it is and who it appeals to, its just not the "classic" composition like we are use to.
It's like I tell my friend at work who hasn't watched Super much yet. It's a bunch of "It's fine because it's Dragon Ball" with the occasional "Wow that was actually pretty cool". That's the kind of show it is to me. Entertaining but often not taking it's execution where it needs to go.

Pretty much how you explained it, it's composition is much different to DB and DBZ...which is fine because it's a different time in animation I guess.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:20 pm

The idea that its u7 vs everyone pretty much all the time is a very poor decision and completely wasted opportunity. We could have really seen some of these characters develop and their convictions come through without them always targeting u7 and giving us lengthy introductions to who they are hope that we care. There were some glimpses of that, but it was really poorly done.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:The idea that its u7 vs everyone pretty much all the time is a very poor decision and completely wasted opportunity. We could have really seen some of these characters develop and their convictions come through without them always targeting u7 and giving us lengthy introductions to who they are hope that we care. There were some glimpses of that, but it was really poorly done.
Or they could've gone all in with the all universes vs. U7 and raised the tension dramatically. They just half-stepped on everything which lowers the quality of the arc in hindsight. I think they could have even built up characters like Ribrianne, Kale, and Caulifla more IN the tournament. And they should've established that all the characters were indeed fighters at the start. I shouldn't have questioned for so long if characters like Kale and Ribrianne could fight without their gimmick transformations.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:10 am

I don't think it's bad, there's just no tension. That's an issue with the show in general. There really hasn't been any feeling that the Goku and friends won't win every time. It's overly goofy.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 pm

TheMikado wrote:I think what we needed were more moments like the Gohan/locket moment. Instead we got that and the first universe erasure and that's it for drama and tension. I remember being pretty anxious knowing that if they didn't succeed on Namek they were pretty much done for. For the stakes they are playing at there is a lack of seriousness and solemness. I think I've really taken it as find for modern shonen and kids shows and it reminds me more of Pokemon than Dragonball in tone and composition. It's fine for what it is and who it appeals to, its just not the "classic" composition like we are use to.
It feels like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want the stakes to be the highest they've ever been and innocent people are being erased from existence to show how serious shit is but it's like they can't or won't commit to treating the circumstances with the gravity they deserve because it would be too bleak, so they have half-assed solemn moments every now and then, then go back to business as usual. The tone is all over the place. It either needed lower stakes to justify a lighter tone or to fully commit to the darkness, not both.

Just look at the last couple episodes we've had. 118 ends on a real bittersweet note, 119 pretty much acts like nothing happened after the recap until U4 was deleted, and there it seemed like they were more freaked out over Quitela completely losing his shit than everything else.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I think what we needed were more moments like the Gohan/locket moment. Instead we got that and the first universe erasure and that's it for drama and tension. I remember being pretty anxious knowing that if they didn't succeed on Namek they were pretty much done for. For the stakes they are playing at there is a lack of seriousness and solemness. I think I've really taken it as find for modern shonen and kids shows and it reminds me more of Pokemon than Dragonball in tone and composition. It's fine for what it is and who it appeals to, its just not the "classic" composition like we are use to.
It feels like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want the stakes to be the highest they've ever been and innocent people are being erased from existence to show how serious shit is but it's like they can't or won't commit to treating the circumstances with the gravity they deserve because it would be too bleak, so they have half-assed solemn moments every now and then, then go back to business as usual. The tone is all over the place. It either needed lower stakes to justify a lighter tone or to fully commit to the darkness, not both.

Just look at the last couple episodes we've had. 118 ends on a real bittersweet note, 119 pretty much acts like nothing happened after the recap until U4 was deleted, and there it seemed like they were more freaked out over Quitela completely losing his shit than everything else.
I don't think Dragon Ball is the kind show that really has ever lingered too much on the solmeness of certain "dark" scenarios. It more of a story about having "moments" depending on the context of the characters involved.

When you have a universe like Universe 9 being erased, it's not treated with greatest sense of sadness or grief, because this a universe that is the worst handled in the entire multiverse and had some of the most unlike characters in the arc. And as such, their erasure is treated more with shock than anything else from the rest of the cast. Because despite not being emotionally invested in their universe, it's the first time they've witnessed an entire universe being erased. But they can't dwell on it forever because they need to focus on their own universes. That's why the erasure of Universe 10 was handled the way it was. We get perspective of how Universe 19 had something to fight for, Cus being saddened by the loss Rumsshi and Gohan being steadily reminded they still have universe to fight for and they need to move on from this and focus on over important things.

It's the same deal with Universe 4. The anime emphasised that it's a treacherous universe that is overseen by a Hakaishin who is uncompassionate, smug, dishonest and a deity who will do anything to get the upper hand. I mean, there was even a subplot of Universe 4 and Universe 9 (coincidentally) working together to try and take out Freeza so that Universe 7 wouldn't have enough competitors in time for the Tournament Of Power and their universes would have a better chance of survival. The erasure Universe 4 doesn't get a fanfare because it doesn't really deserve one. And as such, is treated as more of a "moment".

Episode 118 was special case because Universe 6 has significant amount time in the story and most of their key characters were fleshed out properly or made proper use of their screen-time to make you care about their fates. So naturally, when a universe like that is being erased, the story gives their easure the great sense of grandeur and solemness to match the level of development it got. Universe 2, despite their antics, provided the context of self-doubt in their darkest hour, and showed constant theme of unconditional support and unity, which came to its surprisingly heartfelt climax with the residents of Universe 2 giving their utmost support to the last members of Team Universe 2 after Ribrianne got eliminated. It also helps all of Universe 2 openly accepted their fate with incredibly amount of grace and acknowledgement. Which made their erasure being bittersweet work for its context of it being more of a "moment", rather than something that needs to linger on longer than it should.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:

I don't think Dragon Ball is the kind show that really has ever lingered too much on the solmeness of certain "dark" scenarios. It more of a story about having "moments" depending on the context of the characters involved.

When you have a universe like Universe 9 being erased, it's not treated with greatest sense of sadness or grief, because this a universe that is the worst handled in the entire multiverse and had some of the most unlike characters in the arc. And as such, their erasure is treated more with shock than anything else from the rest of the cast. Because despite not being emotionally invested in their universe, it's the first time they've witnessed an entire universe being erased. But they can't dwell on it forever because they need to focus on their own universes. That's why the erasure of Universe 10 was handled the way it was. We get perspective of how Universe 19 had something to fight for, Cus being saddened by the loss Rumsshi and Gohan being steadily reminded they still have universe to fight for and they need to move on from this and focus on over important things.

It's the same deal with Universe 4. The anime emphasised that it's a treacherous universe that is overseen by a Hakaishin who is uncompassionate, smug, dishonest and a deity who will do anything to get the upper hand. I mean, there was even a subplot of Universe 4 and Universe 9 (coincidentally) working together to try and take out Freeza so that Universe 7 wouldn't have enough competitors in time for the Tournament Of Power and their universes would have a better chance of survival. The erasure Universe 4 doesn't get a fanfare because it doesn't really deserve one. And as such, is treated as more of a "moment".

Episode 118 was special case because Universe 6 has significant amount time in the story and most of their key characters were fleshed out properly or made proper use of their screen-time to make you care about their fates. So naturally, when a universe like that is being erased, the story gives their easure the great sense of grandeur and solemness to match the level of development it got. Universe 2, despite their antics, provided the context of self-doubt in their darkest hour, and showed constant theme of unconditional support and unity, which came to its surprisingly heartfelt climax with the residents of Universe 2 giving their utmost support to the last members of Team Universe 2 after Ribrianne got eliminated. It also helps all of Universe 2 openly accepted their fate with incredibly amount of grace and acknowledgement. Which made their erasure being bittersweet work for its context of it being more of a "moment", rather than something that needs to linger on longer than it should.
After reading this, my eyes have really been opened. Thank you for your deep post.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm

The recent episode also shows the problems with the composition of this arc: characters fighting alone, others watching and doing nothing, wasting their time when they are able to defeat their enemies with full power and etc.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

The Pride Troopers are purposely not fighting, why would they? They're watching U3 and U7 tear down each other, why bother getting involved when you can wait for one universe to take out the other?

Freeza of course is a long wolf, he's not going to help out unless he has to. Why would he? He's evil, and unless he fears U7 losing, he has no reason to get involved.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Because this is a time limited Battle Royale and not a friendly tournament where characters can chill all they want?

The Pride Troopers know they can wipe everyone if they attack together while U7 is fighting U3, that would be their perfect chance: Goku is not fully recovered yet and everyone else is fodder to Jiren, then after eliminating U7 they could pretty dispose the scrap metal from U3, easy and simple.

But you gotta have them with some sense of "fairness" to fight clean and straight with U7, so it would ruin the "spectacle".

Before you say I'm not having unrealistic expectations that U7 might lose this tournament, no... I just wants to see logic behind characters actions than just "because of plot"
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Noah wrote:Because this is a time limited Battle Royale and not a friendly tournament where characters can chill all they want?

The Pride Troopers know they can wipe everyone if they attack together while U7 is fighting U3, that would be their perfect chance: Goku is not fully recovered yet and everyone else is fodder to Jiren, then after eliminating U7 they could pretty dispose the scrap metal from U3, easy and simple.

But you gotta have them with some sense of "fairness" to fight clean and straight with U7, so it would ruin the "spectacle".

Before you say I'm not having unrealistic expectations that U7 might lose this tournament, no... I just wants to see logic behind characters actions than just "because of plot"
At time like this I wish they use the manga reference like in 104 with Jiren not wanting to fight other universe because he don't want to erased the other universes by defeated them unless in the anime keeping this as a secret :think:
Last edited by Spider-Man on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 pm

The entire weight of this arc rests on Freeza's shoulders, Freeza of all characters. Seems to be the only one who's actually realizing what's happening, the only one literally calling out Zenos for what they're doing and the only one actually thinking 'what the hell next'. Rest is just acting as if it was a sparring match at Bulma's party.

That's my biggest issue, not the composition of the fights. If this leads to something, then the pacing issues won't matter but if it ends up with a big nothing and U7 just goes back to Earth as the winning team nit giving a crap about anything that just happened then well...

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Noah wrote:Because this is a time limited Battle Royale and not a friendly tournament where characters can chill all they want?

While I mostly agree with you, I think what's going on in-universe is that EVERYONE on some level is considered a threat even by the stronger fighters. And when you get to this level of power where everyone should be a planet buster, that should realistically be true even if you are one million times stronger than them. Like if Toppo ended up interfering in a match between say Piccolo & Krillin and the Namekians and somehow lost track of Piccolo or Krilln, he could be killed by either Piccolo or Krillin, hell, Saonel too since he uses a ki slicer.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

DiegoBrando

Post by DiegoBrando » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Yeah it is. Of course it's unrealistic to expect a proper realization of this plot. Which they should have known at the start and do something different or change it around so it works. It feels like they had this great idea, which sounded cool in their heads, but when they decided on doing it nobody knew how. So they just rush through universe fighters like candy and let them lose against U7. The landscape also looks barren, like nothing is going on in the background. Jiren is a laughable character too.

Elvis143BRA

Post by Elvis143BRA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:53 pm

It would have been way better if every universe had at least one good fighter at least SSB Kaioken level and if they had given Goku less focus. In DBZ, there were lots of episodes without Goku and the show was better because of it.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:14 pm

I really hate what there doing with Goku,that stamina excuse is shit if he can still pull out his god form with ease.Can they please put this character to actually rest until everyone is erased,we really didn't need him in 120,the special or the kefla fight would have been a perfect excuse to off screened him for a while.
Mostly active on discord.